The "Official" Onkyo TX-NR3009 Owners Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 941 Old 02-08-2012, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,
Guys, I just pulled tge trigger on a 3009 to be here next week hopefully. In my anxious anticipation of it, I was looking at some pictures of what is to come and noticed that to bi-amp my mains you have to connect them to front heights. This is a little disconcerning to me since I was hoping to add front heights in the future.

So my question is can i connect them to surround back channels? I'm primarily movies and front heights sound really cool especially helicopter scenes etc.

I apologize if this has been covered before. I currrently have MA RX8's wth RX center which is also bi-ampable.

Any info or advise is greatly appreciated and thank you so much in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 941 Old 02-09-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgetdwn View Post

Hello,
Guys, I just pulled tge trigger on a 3009 to be here next week hopefully. In my anxious anticipation of it, I was looking at some pictures of what is to come and noticed that to bi-amp my mains you have to connect them to front heights. This is a little disconcerning to me since I was hoping to add front heights in the future.

So my question is can i connect them to surround back channels? I'm primarily movies and front heights sound really cool especially helicopter scenes etc.

I apologize if this has been covered before. I currrently have MA RX8's wth RX center which is also bi-ampable.

Any info or advise is greatly appreciated and thank you so much in advance.

Bump

It came early. It's in my possession! Help please I want to open it!!

There has to be a way around it, I just can't find it anywhere.

Help please!!
post #63 of 941 Old 02-09-2012, 05:13 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked: 1493
^^
Since you're not getting any response, I thought I would dig into the Owner's manual for you which indicates on p. 51 that when using the Bi-amp option you cannot use Front Height or Front Wide.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #64 of 941 Old 02-09-2012, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Since you're not getting any response, I thought I would dig into the Owner's manual for you which indicates on p. 51 that when using the Bi-amp option you cannot use Front Height or Front Wide.

Thank you so much. What a drag I was so looking forward to bi-amping them with front heights. I have them bi-amped now and I do hear a difference for the better IMO.

I guess I'll sleep on it and decide tomorrow what to do. Unless you think it should be sufficient without bi-amping them. I have a pioneer vsx32 now but no individual crossovers, no sub eq and well the sound of the onkyo really has impressed me.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
I apologize for being such a pain in the ....

Thank you.
post #65 of 941 Old 02-10-2012, 06:51 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked: 1493
^^
If you "think" you can hear a difference, it might just be a placebo effect as the AVR is sending the same full range signal to each set of posts on the speakers (ie. "passive" bi-amping), no different than just connecting a signal set of wires to one set of clips. It's your call of course, but the capability of Audyssey MultEQ XT32 in the 3009 is very likely to overcome any perceived effect from the current bi-amp configuration. There have been many posts by Denon 4311CI/A100 (which can do the bi-amp and front height btw) owners who have upgraded from an XT model (either Denon, Marantz, or Onkyo) and were very impressed with the increased audio fidelity that XT32 provided.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #66 of 941 Old 02-10-2012, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I wouldn't bother to bi-amp the fronts. Much better in my opinion is to use a dedicated 2 or 3 channel amp to handle what are presumably the heaviest loads, and let the Onkyo then have more power for the remaining easier channels. I'll bet you can find used 100 WPC stereo amps with strong current reserves pretty cheap. In my case, I'm using an old HarmonKardon Citation 24 amp I've had forever to power PSB Silveri, and combined with my other 3 PSB center/sat speakers and 2 PSB 12+ subs, the system sounds great. It would probably sound great even with all channels driven by the 3009, but why waste my stereo amp when it can handle the 4ohm front speaker load?
post #67 of 941 Old 02-12-2012, 09:40 PM

How is the included remote?
Nicely backlit?
Any button press or Light button?
post #68 of 941 Old 02-12-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVONick View Post

How is the included remote?
Nicely backlit?
Any button press or Light button?

Very nice remote...fully backlit, any button lights it up!
post #69 of 941 Old 02-13-2012, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I am interested about this AVR.How is the sound quality compare to Denon AVR 4311?Anyone has already tested both of them,please shares experience.
post #70 of 941 Old 02-13-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by butsu View Post

I am interested about this AVR.How is the sound quality compare to Denon AVR 4311?Anyone has already tested both of them,please shares experience.

Just my .02 . I had a 4311 whenit first came out. To me it made a decent prepro. I felt it was a bit of a light weight but there are many who love the unit. I currently own the 3009 and find it the best sounding receiver I have ever owned although I have the fronts now going through an Emotiva upa-2 and upa-1 and really I found now that I have the emos the 3009 amp was more than enough and might even sell my emos in the future. Just waiting to see if the 3009 is ever updated to go 11.2 It seems most if not all of the prior issues with the 0008s have been eliminated so far with the 0009s I am a fan. These are heavy and powerful receivers and have great video processing. Read Joerods review at the start of the thread.

post #71 of 941 Old 02-13-2012, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Sorry there is another thread for the 3009 9 pages that is the one with joes review at the beginning.

post #72 of 941 Old 02-14-2012, 01:18 PM

Make sure you unzip the file. I had the same problem and called onkyo. They stated that I needed to unzip it, and then make sure the files are the only thing on the drive. I did that and it worked like a charm.
post #73 of 941 Old 02-16-2012, 08:43 PM

Just got my 3009. Right now my setup is as follows:

Fronts: Energy v1.8's (bi-amped)
Center: Energy RVS (looking to upgrade)
Surrounds: Polk RM705 Satelite's (looking to upgrade)
Subs: Dual HSU VTF3.4's

I have a few questions about the video processing. I also have an Onkyo 608 and have turned off processing by pressing VCR/DVR and return. When I disable it on my 608 all processing is off, even the OSD won't show. However, when I disable it on my 3009 I can still see my OSD for volume, etc. I am not complaining, but I thought it would totally bypass the video chipset like my 608 and it obviously isn't. I just like my picture quality to be untouched, I have all processing on my TV off as well.

I haven't gotten a chance to run Audessy and see how this baby performs, but I am assuming the sound quality will be awesome compared to my 608.

post #74 of 941 Old 02-17-2012, 08:36 PM

So I'm having some issues with my mic that came with the 3009. It reads a whole 5-6dB higher than the one that came with my 608. Also, before I go on explaining my issue, know that with my Onkyo 608 I always had my subs volume knob turned to 9 o clock and it set my trims to -2 or -3dB.

So my issue is that I was using the 3009 mic to run Audessy XT32 and it asks to match your sub's dB to 75. With the 3009 mic (with my sub setting at 9 o clock) it said 86dB. So I literally had to turn both of my subs almost all the way down to "min" on the back to get down to 75dB. After the whole setup, it set my subs trims to -3.5dB. I then proceed to put on some of my favorite "bass" testing songs and it was very lackluster, didn't feel a thing and barely heard it.

Next I rerun audessy with my subs set at 9 o clock and ignore the "75dB matching" thing. After the setup it set my trims to -11 and -12dB, again my bass was very lackluster.

Finally I put in my 608 mic and compare the dB readings during the Audessy setup. With my sub set at the 9 o clock position, the 3009 mic reads 86dB, while the 806 mic reads at 80dB. Seriously? Just a bad mic?

Also, I am curious if I can just use the 608 mic to run the whole Audessy XT32? Is it the same exact mic? Worse? Better?

post #75 of 941 Old 02-19-2012, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
If using 4 ohm speakers do you have to select 4 ohm in the receiver settings? Im guessing selecting 4 ohm limits power and im curious if you can run 4 ohm without selecting it in the settings?
post #76 of 941 Old 02-19-2012, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
In contrary to a tube amp, where matching impedance of speaker and output transformer is vital , a modern transistor amp needs no adjustements, because it is directly driving its sink / speaker. Thus no need and sense in adjusting anything.
post #77 of 941 Old 02-19-2012, 08:47 PM

Hello,

I am trying to setup an Onkyo TX-NR3009. It keep getting a Speaker Detect Error Screen. I am running a 5.1 setup and all the speakers show a Yes next to them. I have noticed that the Front Left speaker does sound substantially weaker than the rest.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Daniel

post #78 of 941 Old 02-25-2012, 07:34 AM

I've been using my TX-NR3009 as a dedicated home theater receiver/amp, but recently bought an Outlaw 7500 5-channel separate amp and a Parasound 2100 preamp so that I could bypass the 3009 and play two-channel sources, such as my vinyl, through the Parasound and avoid the digital circuitry of the Onkyo.

So my Onkyo 3009 is now powering only the two back surround speakers, and the Outlaw powers the other five channels. The Onkyo is just working as a preamp for the five main channels. Now to the question:

It seems like the Onkyo is running a little hotter now than it did before. Shouldn't it run cooler since it is powering only the back surround speakers? Is there any reason why it would run hotter? Or is all this just my imagination?

I have six inches of space above the Onkyo and 1.5 inches on either side, and the rack is open to the front and the back.

Thanks for any ideas you can provide.
post #79 of 941 Old 02-25-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachness View Post

Hello,

I am trying to setup an Onkyo TX-NR3009. It keep getting a Speaker Detect Error Screen. I am running a 5.1 setup and all the speakers show a Yes next to them. I have noticed that the Front Left speaker does sound substantially weaker than the rest.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Daniel

Daniel:

Check your speaker wiring carefully to make sure you don't have the wiring reversed (+ speaker post connected to - on receiver). Also check to make sure the speaker wire isn't damaged, or frayed at the connection points.
post #80 of 941 Old 02-27-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailwalker View Post

Daniel:

Check your speaker wiring carefully to make sure you don't have the wiring reversed (+ speaker post connected to - on receiver). Also check to make sure the speaker wire isn't damaged, or frayed at the connection points.

Called Onkyo support today. Said that it should just be a glitch and a hard reset is all that should be required. If there was something wrong, the speaker would display ERROR.

Instructions for hard reset:

Hold VCR/DVR button and turn on receiver. Clear should be shown on the display.

Will report back after I give it a shot.
post #81 of 941 Old 02-27-2012, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

Sorry there is another thread for the 3009 9 pages that is the one with joes review at the beginning.

Can somebody merge the 2 threads on the 3009? This is confusing.
post #82 of 941 Old 02-28-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterkaj View Post

So my issue is that I was using the 3009 mic to run Audessy XT32 and it asks to match your sub's dB to 75. With the 3009 mic (with my sub setting at 9 o clock) it said 86dB. So I literally had to turn both of my subs almost all the way down to "min" on the back to get down to 75dB. After the whole setup, it set my subs trims to -3.5dB. I then proceed to put on some of my favorite "bass" testing songs and it was very lackluster, didn't feel a thing and barely heard it.

I have the same issue in that the 75 dB setting from Audyssey also set my subs at only 25% of their maximum (9 o'clock position). The subs don't sound weak but certainly one hates to own subs that are tuned to use so little of their range.

I think what you are pointing out here is the difference between "reference" versus "preference". Even though your subs are set correctly for reference sound by Audyssey, your personal taste demands much more bass. I wish Audyssey would give us more options for "preference" with richer sound at low frequencies but they decided not to.

I wonder if you lose the balanced XT32 sound by simply cranking up the sub levels 6-9 dB (inside the receiver) from the levels Audyssey has already set them at.
post #83 of 941 Old 02-28-2012, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailwalker View Post

So my Onkyo 3009 is now powering only the two back surround speakers, and the Outlaw powers the other five channels. The Onkyo is just working as a preamp for the five main channels. Now to the question:

It seems like the Onkyo is running a little hotter now than it did before. Shouldn't it run cooler since it is powering only the back surround speakers? Is there any reason why it would run hotter? Or is all this just my imagination?

I have six inches of space above the Onkyo and 1.5 inches on either side, and the rack is open to the front and the back.

Thanks for any ideas you can provide.

I bought 2 of those, laid them on top of the receiver, powered them from the USB port in the back, and the casing of the 3009 is ice cold. Temperature readings in the 60's (F) and I got all the amps of this receiver going.

http://www.amazon.com/Coolerguys-120...0468298&sr=8-2

I even have less space above the receiver than you (only 3 inches).
post #84 of 941 Old 02-28-2012, 04:57 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrader View Post

I bought 2 of those, laid them on top of the receiver, powered them from the USB port in the back, and the casing of the 3009 is ice cold. Temperature readings in the 60's (F) and I got all the amps of this receiver going.

http://www.amazon.com/Coolerguys-120...0468298&sr=8-2

I even have less space above the receiver than you (only 3 inches).

Blowing in or sucking out?
post #85 of 941 Old 02-29-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezlar View Post

Sucking air out of the receiver. You don't want to blow air into it.
post #86 of 941 Old 02-29-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

That aside, I am actually here for a question.
I'm looking to upgrade from a TX-SR875, which I'm quite happy with except for one issue.
In certain situations there is a delay of several seconds, presumably for it to figure out if it's dolby, dts, etc...
For example this occurs when:
  • switching channels on my dish
  • the start or end of a commercial break
  • changing source
  • the source has audio drop-outs
Is this referred to as "audio acquisition delay"?

This isn't the main reason why I'm looking to upgrade, but this problem can get quite annoying, so I want to make sure I get it resolved.
I'm looking to get either no delay at all or a fraction of a second at most.
Can this problem still happen in the TX-NR3009? (or any of the other newer Onkyo models for that matter?)
post #87 of 941 Old 03-06-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 29
very interested in this for a total solution AVR. Might get rid of my 5508 and xpa 5 combo.

post #88 of 941 Old 03-06-2012, 05:39 PM

Liked: 12
Hi All.
Still trying to figure my 3009 out. I must be missing something. The auddesy listening mode is unavailable in everything I have tried. Can anyone give me any idea of what I'm doing wrong. Also what audio mode do people use when watching plain old directv?

Thanks for any input.

Howard
post #89 of 941 Old 03-06-2012, 05:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

WRONG !!
Quote:

I got one 80mm fan, but it blowns in, its way more effective in this case, placed over GPU. I read many tests on cpu cooling back in the day of 200+ watt single core. At close range blowing to the chip works best. Just to prove it, hold your hand 2 inches away from your mouth , suck air in than blow air out, feel the effect ! I have over 6500 hours on the onkyo clock, I leave it on if even when I don't use it for a few hours.
post #90 of 941 Old 03-09-2012, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joehonest View Post

WRONG !!

I got one 80mm fan, but it blowns in, its way more effective in this case, placed over GPU. I read many tests on cpu cooling back in the day of 200+ watt single core. At close range blowing to the chip works best. Just to prove it, hold your hand 2 inches away from your mouth , suck air in than blow air out, feel the effect ! I have over 6500 hours on the onkyo clock, I leave it on if even when I don't use it for a few hours.

WRONG yourself! The reason you don't want to blow high velocity air into the receiver is because you don't want to smash it with air-born particles while cooling it. Particles forced into the receiver accumulate over time. You want to reduce particle impact and reduce the accumulation of dirt inside. Reversing the flow (as in sucking out the air) is a safer way to provide cooling flow.

Bottom line is do what makes "you" feel good, it is certainly your equipment, your money, your choice.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr3009 , Transformers Dark Of The Moon Three Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , The Fifth Element Remastered Blu Ray , Onkyo Ht Rc160 7 2 Channel A V Surround Home Theater Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page