Forum Jump: 

post #931 of 948 Old 08-22-2014, 01:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber07 View Post
Simply disconnect the speaker cables for your front L/R speakers from the AVR, then connect an RCA cable from the front L/R pre-outs of the AVR to the correct inputs on the amp. Then connect your speaker wires to the amp speaker outputs. Viola!.
I got most of that (even the French ending), one thing though " then connect an RCA cable from the front L/R pre-outs of the AVR to the correct inputs on the amp" - the front L/R pre-outs, where, the exact connections, are they on the backside of the AVR? Thanks so far!

Edit - and yes, after consulting the drawings in the manual I did find the connections. They were on the backside of the AVR, where the majority of such connections dwell. Marked "L/R Pre-out". That make sense really, all things considered.
climber07 likes this.

Last edited by RoedeOrm; 08-22-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 948 Old 08-22-2014, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 985
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoedeOrm View Post
I got most of that (even the French ending), one thing though " then connect an RCA cable from the front L/R pre-outs of the AVR to the correct inputs on the amp" - the front L/R pre-outs, where, the exact connections, are they on the backside of the AVR? Thanks so far!

Edit - and yes, after consulting the drawings in the manual I did find the connections. They were on the backside of the AVR, where the majority of such connections dwell. Marked "L/R Pre-out". That make sense really, all things considered.
I keep the manual and a large pic of the back of the AVR on my phone, so when I'm piddling around, I don't have to dismantle the entire system to look at the back of the AVR... I just look at the pic and use tactile feel to find what I'm looking for from the front.

link to extra large high quality pic: http://www.avland.co.uk/aasp/onkyo/1...09/rearlrg.jpg

candoan likes this.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Samsung UN55C8000 3D LED TV - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One...
post #933 of 948 Old 08-23-2014, 12:17 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
I keep the manual and a large pic of the back of the AVR on my phone, so when I'm piddling around, I don't have to dismantle the entire system to look at the back of the AVR... I just look at the pic and use tactile feel to find what I'm looking for from the front.
Thanks for the picture buddy, it is now on my trusted pocket companion (that would be my Nokia).
climber07 likes this.
post #934 of 948 Old 08-24-2014, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has anyone used this receiver with a seperate 2 channel preamp? My preamp (McIntosh C2500) has an HT pass through option, but needs to be triggered with a 12 volt cord. I know this receiver has outs for Zone 2 and 3, but not the main. I am planning on possbily using the 3009 as just a processor since I have external amps. Equipment:

McIntosh C2500 preamp
2 x McIntosh MC352 amps for fronts
McIntosh MC7205 for center and rears
1 Powered sub
post #935 of 948 Old 09-01-2014, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnM5 View Post
Has anyone used this receiver with a seperate 2 channel preamp? My preamp (McIntosh C2500) has an HT pass through option, but needs to be triggered with a 12 volt cord. I know this receiver has outs for Zone 2 and 3, but not the main. I am planning on possbily using the 3009 as just a processor since I have external amps. Equipment:

McIntosh C2500 preamp
2 x McIntosh MC352 amps for fronts
McIntosh MC7205 for center and rears
1 Powered sub
I am using the 3009 with external emotiva amps and have been happy with the results. I do have some questions I'll put in a new post momentarily.....
post #936 of 948 Old 09-01-2014, 12:48 PM

I'm using my TX-NR3009 with external amps.. Happy with the results but I have a few questions while I am figureing out how to have my Harmony One trigger to the amps... I saw a thread and will have to find it again as I believe there is a way.

Questions:
1-As I'm using all pre-outs with 2 external power amps (Emotiva XPA3 for mains & UPA700 for surrounds)... I understand I'll use Zone 2 & Zone 3 triggers. OR can I use the passthrough trigger out on the Emotiva XPA3 to trigger the UPA700? That might be a question for me to repost on an Emotiva thread.....

2-If I am using Zone 2 or 3 as triggers, can I use the powered Zone 2 or Zone 3 speaker terminals (I'm not using any right now) for another zone? Even if I'm using the pre-out for front high or front wide?
I've never been proficient when it comes to multi-zone use!

3-Lastly (for now), if I'm using external power amps does the ohm setting I put in the Onkyo menu effect anything if all I'm taking out of the receiver is pre-outs? My mains are 4 ohm speakers so I set accordingly. But if that setting is just for the 3009's powered speaker terminals (not the pre-outs) I wonder if changing the ohms can lower the amount of heat the receiver generates as I can't tell it I'm not using the internal speaker amps.

Thanks all for any and all suggestions!
post #937 of 948 Old 09-01-2014, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoey View Post
I'm using my TX-NR3009 with external amps.. Happy with the results but I have a few questions while I am figureing out how to have my Harmony One trigger to the amps... I saw a thread and will have to find it again as I believe there is a way.

Questions:
1-As I'm using all pre-outs with 2 external power amps (Emotiva XPA3 for mains & UPA700 for surrounds)... I understand I'll use Zone 2 & Zone 3 triggers. OR can I use the passthrough trigger out on the Emotiva XPA3 to trigger the UPA700? That might be a question for me to repost on an Emotiva thread.....

2-If I am using Zone 2 or 3 as triggers, can I use the powered Zone 2 or Zone 3 speaker terminals (I'm not using any right now) for another zone? Even if I'm using the pre-out for front high or front wide?
I've never been proficient when it comes to multi-zone use!

3-Lastly (for now), if I'm using external power amps does the ohm setting I put in the Onkyo menu effect anything if all I'm taking out of the receiver is pre-outs? My mains are 4 ohm speakers so I set accordingly. But if that setting is just for the 3009's powered speaker terminals (not the pre-outs) I wonder if changing the ohms can lower the amount of heat the receiver generates as I can't tell it I'm not using the internal speaker amps.

Thanks all for any and all suggestions!
Since Onkyo didn't have the foresight to add a zone 1 trigger, you have to improvise. I bought a green surge suppressor and plugged the NR3009 into the master. Then I plugged a 12v wall wart (AC to DC adapter) into the green power strip and into the XPA-2 (I bought a mono mini RCA plug from Radio Shack). Every time I turn on the NR3009 with my Harmony One, the power strip turns on the wall wart and triggers the XPA-2.

Here you go:

Wall adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006GEPUYA/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Green power strip:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003P2UMQ2/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1/8" mono solder connector (2 pack)

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062452

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Samsung UN55C8000 3D LED TV - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One...
post #938 of 948 Old 09-01-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Since Onkyo didn't have the foresight to add a zone 1 trigger, you have to improvise. I bought a green surge suppressor and plugged the NR3009 into the master. Then I plugged a 12v wall wart (AC to DC adapter) into the green power strip and into the XPA-2 (I bought a mono mini RCA plug from Radio Shack). Every time I turn on the NR3009 with my Harmony One, the power strip turns on the wall wart and triggers the XPA-2.

Here you go:

Wall adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006GEPUYA/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Green power strip:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003P2UMQ2/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1/8" mono solder connector (2 pack)

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062452

Thanks Climber. I've been planning to integrate a power conditioner but maybe the green strip can come off of that.
post #939 of 948 Old 09-02-2014, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I am using the 3009 with Emotiva amps. I have a pair of XPA 1's, and a XPA 3. I am also using a harmony one remote.

My systems is set up in a 5.2 configuration. The amps are triggered by "zone 2" so I use the harmony remote to power on zone 2 when ever I fire up the system.

I take the trigger out from the 3009, and put it on the trigger in of the emotiva amp. The amps have a trigger in and out, so then I just use the trigger out from the amp to the trigger in of the next.
post #940 of 948 Old 09-07-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post
I am using the 3009 with Emotiva amps. I have a pair of XPA 1's, and a XPA 3. I am also using a harmony one remote.

My systems is set up in a 5.2 configuration. The amps are triggered by "zone 2" so I use the harmony remote to power on zone 2 when ever I fire up the system.

I take the trigger out from the 3009, and put it on the trigger in of the emotiva amp. The amps have a trigger in and out, so then I just use the trigger out from the amp to the trigger in of the next.
Is the Zone 2 trigger automated by your system on "Activity", or do you manually power on Zone2 on the remote?
If it's automated, how where you able to add zone trigger tot he activity... I can't find it!
post #941 of 948 Old 09-07-2014, 03:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

Is the Zone 2 trigger automated by your system on "Activity", or do you manually power on Zone2 on the remote?
If it's automated, how where you able to add zone trigger tot he activity... I can't find it!
It is auto, so what ever activity I choose it will turn everything in my system on, including the amps. I'll have too look at how I did it.....it's been awhile. I need to add my new cable box to the remote, and I've been lazy about it, so let me add the box and I'll look at how I did it for you.
post #942 of 948 Old 09-20-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post
I have the 3009 sitting on top open all around and it does get quite hot over the back but i have a pair of usb fans connected in back that turn on when the unit fires up and they work very well and keep the unit reasonably warm not hot. I do believe it is a cause of all the processors etc.
My 3009 is heating my entire house, Works fine. Does anyone suggest turning this completely off vs standby?
post #943 of 948 Old 09-20-2014, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollis Stavn View Post
My 3009 is heating my entire house, Works fine. Does anyone suggest turning this completely off vs standby?
Mine is off completely when not in use.

post #944 of 948 Old 09-21-2014, 02:40 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi Guys,

I intend to use my 3009 as Pre Pro, somebody please point out how to do it that I do not have to use the amp of it.

Thanks.

Pana 60ST60, Onkyo TX-NR3009, OPPO BDP-103, Klipsch WF-35, Klipsch WS-24, Klipsch WC-24, Klipsch Reference RW-12d, BIC America DV62si.
post #945 of 948 Old 09-21-2014, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by candoan View Post
Hi Guys,

I intend to use my 3009 as Pre Pro, somebody please point out how to do it that I do not have to use the amp of it.

Thanks.
Simply plug your interconnect cables from the pre-outs on the 3009 into the amplifier inputs. Viola! 3009 is now a pre-pro.
candoan likes this.
post #946 of 948 Old 09-23-2014, 11:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:

Check this link out. http://logitech-en-amr.custhelp.com/...harmony-remote I had to update my remote for a new pvr, and I tried to rember how to add zone 2 to the remote. I spent 30 minuets trying everything.....even deleted all my devices to start fresh. Still didn't jog my memory. So now I need to figure out how I did it again so that next time I plug in my remote I can load everything the way it is now. So I did a google search on it, because the seach here blows! It's sad....it used to work really good and I found out how to do zone 2 in this thread originally. I didn't feel like reading through the whole thing again.....any way check it out.

Edit: I tried to follow what that link said to do, and it didn't work. I'll look into it more......

Last edited by SeekingNirvana; 09-25-2014 at 08:43 AM.
post #947 of 948 Old 09-24-2014, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollis Stavn View Post
That's one of the things I miss about my 3009.
During the winter months it doubled as a space heater.
Kept my room nice and toasty.

Also putting my popcorn bucket on top of the 3009, kept the popcorn nice and warm,
during bathroom breaks, when watching movies and sports.

Wonder if Onkyo will ever figure out how to make a receiver that runs cool,
so that it doesn't melt the HDMI boards.

post #948 of 948 Old 09-24-2014, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

For those Using a Harmony One remote, and trying to power on external amps using the 12v trigger from "Zone 2" on the 3009, you will need to add the 3009 as another device.......Follow along:

1) Open the harmony app
2) Click the "devices" tab
3) Click "add device" tab
4) Click "amplifier" then select "av receiver"
5) Selet "onkyo"
6) Enter "Tx-nr 3009 zone 2"
7) Click next
8) A list will pop up with different model numbers, because I don't think Harmony has the 3009 zone 2, so select the 3008 zone 2, trust me it works (you could probably just in put 3008 zone 2 in step 6)
9) Click next

Now you have the 3009 Zone 2 added as a separate device, now you need to add it to a activity, I will use "Watch TV" as a example:

1) Click "activities"
2) Click "add activity"
3) Select the auto option
4) Click next
5) Select "I use my onkyo receiver to control the volume"
6) Click next
7) Select what input your tv needs to be on
8) Click next
9) Select what input your receiver needs to be on
10) Click next
11) A review will pop up, Select " I want to add more control"
12) Click next

You will see "devices in use" and "devices not in use" In the devices not in use section select "Onkyo AV receiver 2"
13) Click add
14) Click save
15) Select what input your tv needs to be on again
15) Click next
16) Select what input your receiver needs to be on again
17) Click next

It will ask what input your Onkyo AV receiver needs to be on...
18) Select " I do not need to set the input on my Onkyo AV receiver zone 2"
19) a review screen will pop up, under the "add action for" use the drop down menu to select "Onkyo AV receiver 2"
20) Click ADD
21) Select " send this inferred delay 1 second"
22) Click next
23) Now the AV receiver 2 is added to your activity
24) Click Save
25) It will ask if it is correct, review and click next
26) Click done

Now when you are on the main page of the Harmony app, you will see all your activities and they will includes two 3009's. One is the main for controlling everything in your system, and the other is just to power on your amps when the system is fired up.

Do this for all the activities that you need to power on your external amps.

I did this awhile ago and forgot how to do it, so I had to re-learn it. With the above steps I have not tested it, but I remember doing it this way. It will work........

There is probably more steps then there needs to be but I thought I would try to do a complete walk through.

My dual sealed LMS 5400 Ultra build

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SeekingNirvana; 09-25-2014 at 08:37 AM.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr3009 , Transformers Dark Of The Moon Three Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , The Fifth Element Remastered Blu Ray , Onkyo Ht Rc160 7 2 Channel A V Surround Home Theater Receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page