post #91 of 934 Old 03-10-2012, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaxdad View Post

Hi All.
Still trying to figure my 3009 out. I must be missing something. The auddesy listening mode is unavailable in everything I have tried. Can anyone give me any idea of what I'm doing wrong. Also what audio mode do people use when watching plain old directv?

Thanks for any input.

Howard

Audyssey DSX is only available when using with a FW and/or FH setup, iow 7.2FW, FH, or FWH, or a 9.2 system. See page 40 of the manual.

As for the other question, whatever sounds good to you depending on the source material, I'm often using Full Mono.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 934 Old 03-22-2012, 09:14 AM

Anyone having input issues with their phono rca inputs? Every other input I have works fine except my phono. It is bad as it distorts and outputs pure garbage. Thanks.
post #93 of 934 Old 03-22-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboygeo View Post

Anyone having input issues with their phono rca inputs? Every other input I have works fine except my phono. It is bad as it distorts and outputs pure garbage. Thanks.

Are you actually connecting a turntable to this input? A phono input usually has a preamp for making the signal from a turntable useable. If you did connect a turntable, then does it have a preamp on the line outputs already? I think some modern turntables have the preamp built-in prior to outputs making them a standard lowlevel signal for any RCA jack connection. It is being done because many modern AVRs have done away with building in the Phono preamps since most consumers no longer use turntables. A receiver that does not specifically have a Phono input does not have a preamp. You can connect any device to any of the RCA low level line jack on an AVR except the Phono input. The Phono input is not designed to take a standard low level signal even though the jacks look like every other RCA low level jack.

3 possible scenarios:
1. You could have two preamps inline if you have a turntable with a built-in preamp
2. You are connecting a standard low level device (not a turntable) to the phono input
3. If you have a turntable connected without a built-in preamp and it is distorted, the input is malfunctioning.

post #94 of 934 Old 03-22-2012, 05:36 PM

Can the front speakers be bridges on the 3009? I liked that on my 906.
post #95 of 934 Old 03-23-2012, 07:21 AM

@Toknowshita

Thank you for the extensive reply. I do not have a phono player hooked up at all. Still have an old one in a box in the attic, however I was only testing the inputs with a direct audio link from my pc laptop with via rca jacks.

You are correct. I verified with Onkyo, that phono input should only be used with a phone "record" player.

Thank you!
post #96 of 934 Old 03-24-2012, 10:21 AM

Just picked up a 3009 this week and have a question. When I connect the mic and try to put the woofer level up to 75 db I have some problems, If I shut everything down so there is no sound the mic picks up around 55-58 db, I think that should be a sound that is possible to hear put my room is very silent, doesn't really change when I move the mic around either.

This is actually my second 3009 as I had the first one replaced due to this issue, now with the second one showing the same reading I am thinking maybe there is something that makes this noise or something is disturbing the mic??

What do you guys think, I rewired everything today and still the same issue.

Even if I shut down the subs I get the reading of over 55 db?
post #97 of 934 Old 03-24-2012, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallinski72 View Post

Just picked up a 3009 this week and have a question. When I connect the mic and try to put the woofer level up to 75 db I have some problems, If I shut everything down so there is no sound the mic picks up around 55-58 db, I think that should be a sound that is possible to hear put my room is very silent, doesn't really change when I move the mic around either.

This is actually my second 3009 as I had the first one replaced due to this issue, now with the second one showing the same reading I am thinking maybe there is something that makes this noise or something is disturbing the mic??

What do you guys think, I rewired everything today and still the same issue.

Even if I shut down the subs I get the reading of over 55 db?

That's just the ambient noise in your HT space, it maybe silent to your ears but their is still some noise that can be measured by the mic. So basically your noise floor is 55db in your home, you can lower this a bit by turning off your A/C if you have one, turning off any appliances etc. You will never be able to get this number to zero however.
post #98 of 934 Old 03-24-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo604 View Post

That's just the ambient noise in your HT space, it maybe silent but their is still some noise that can be measured. So basically your noise floor is 55db in your home, you can lower this a bit by turning off your A/C if you have one, turning off any appliances etc. You will never be able to get this number to zero however.

Turned everything of but still got the same reading, I just wanna make sure that this is fairly normal. When I turn the volume/gain on sub the Onkyo reacts and raises the db. Problem is that I barely need to touch the dial to reach 75 db so when calibration is done there is basically no bass, I know that Audyssey doesn't go megaboom when calibrated but this seems a little strange to me.
post #99 of 934 Old 03-24-2012, 12:45 PM

Liked: 12
Is the callback from Onkyo only US models and not EU models?

Thanks in regards
post #100 of 934 Old 03-24-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallhall View Post

Is the callback from Onkyo only US models and not EU models?

Thanks in regards

Hi Vallhall, this applies to EU models as well.

Quote:

Dear Onkyo customer,

We have discovered that some components used in the manufacture of Onkyo products between November 2011 and January 2012 do not comply with the high quality required for use in Onkyo products.

In individual cases disturbances may occur, for example, the product switching itself off.

Onkyo attach great importance to the satisfaction of our customers regarding the service and quality of Onkyo products.

We have, therefore, installed a test program which allows you to quickly check if your new Onkyo product is affected, with the help of the model name and serial number.

If the test determines that your Onkyo product might be affected, we offer you to return the product free of charge and we will replace the relevant components in order to ensure that you can enjoy your Onkyo product with its customary quality in its entirety.

You will find the test program here.

post #101 of 934 Old 03-24-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Turned everything of but still got the same reading, I just wanna make sure that this is fairly normal. When I turn the volume/gain on sub the Onkyo reacts and raises the db. Problem is that I barely need to touch the dial to reach 75 db so when calibration is done there is basically no bass, I know that Audyssey doesn't go megaboom when calibrated but this seems a little strange to me.

There is bass, basically, but just the *real* base recorded and not the bloated bass you are used to get through room modes and room gain. You might not like the result, but that the way it is.
post #102 of 934 Old 03-24-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey View Post

There is bass, basically, but just the *real* base recorded and not the bloated bass you are used to get through room modes and room gain. You might not like the result, but that the way it is.

Yeah, I suspect this is the case. Gonna try a few more audyssey runs with some changes in sub position and so on.

Reference vs preference is the question
post #103 of 934 Old 03-25-2012, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I currently have the Onkyo 876 and often change speaker levels on the fly depending on what I am listening to. I can easily do this from the remote and it applies to all of my speakers.

When powered off/on again, the settings revert to the calibrated levels which is my preference.

In reading the 3009 manual (it is on my short list for an upgrade), on page 69, it seems to indicate tha only the two subs and the center shannel levels can be changed on the fly.

Again, when powered off/on, the levels return to the calibrated levels.

But does this mean that I cannot change the levels of the other speakers on the fly with the remote, especially the surrounds and back surrounds with the 3009?

And on pages 51,52, it suggests that I have to chose Front High + Front Wide without giving an option for just Front High (which I will have). And if FH + FW is Yes, then I can't chose Back Surrounds (which I use). It must be possible to have just Front High and Back Surrounds along with the FL, C, FR, and two side surrounds, isn't it?

The manual is really confusing me but maybe in actual use, it will be simpler.

Thanks.

Shelly

Farewell Voom. Farewell Directv. Farewell Bell Express Vu. Farewell Dish.
Had 6 dishes, now none.
Back to Comcast. Farewell Comcast, now back to Dish 120+HD. Farewell Dish.

Returned to Comcast 06/2012.

Back in the early days, there were just HD demo loops, no programming. Now HD 3D, amazing!

post #104 of 934 Old 03-25-2012, 03:07 PM

Liked: 12
Many thanks JChin
post #105 of 934 Old 04-06-2012, 02:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Hi,

I am thinking of buying a subwoofer with only xlr connectors. Would that work with this receiver? Does it have xlr output to subwoofers?
post #106 of 934 Old 04-06-2012, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgeek View Post

Hi,

I am thinking of buying a subwoofer with only xlr connectors. Would that work with this receiver? Does it have xlr output to subwoofers?

I've got a 5009, neither has XLR outputs, but adapters are pretty easy to come by. I'm going to use mine with a Seaton Submersive HP (boom!)- it has XLR connectors only and comes with an adapter for non-XLR outputs.
post #107 of 934 Old 04-12-2012, 10:19 AM

Hi,

I have posted some questions on the other thread with joerods review before finding this owners thread. Don't want to double post but would appreciate any owners taking a look to see if they can answer any of my queries,

Thanks,

Graham
post #108 of 934 Old 04-12-2012, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megathunderchief View Post

I've got a 5009, neither has XLR outputs, but adapters are pretty easy to come by. I'm going to use mine with a Seaton Submersive HP (boom!)- it has XLR connectors only and comes with an adapter for non-XLR outputs.

Have you got the Submersive yet? How does it sound?
post #109 of 934 Old 04-13-2012, 02:23 AM

Quote:

Have you got the Submersive yet? How does it sound?

Nope, I'm still deployed for another week and a half. Everything is set to be delivered on May 1st. Have to build the rack first and figure out placement for the speakers, my living room is rather odd-shaped. I'll let you know, but from everything I've read, I think I'm going to be happy
post #110 of 934 Old 04-13-2012, 02:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megathunderchief View Post

Nope, I'm still deployed for another week and a half. Everything is set to be delivered on May 1st. Have to build the rack first and figure out placement for the speakers, my living room is rather odd-shaped. I'll let you know, but from everything I've read, I think I'm going to be happy

Oh, please review it here once you get it... sometimes it's better to hear from an owner directly! I am thinking of getting the Orbit Shifter from JTRSpeakers.
post #111 of 934 Old 04-13-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:

Oh, please review it here once you get it... sometimes it's better to hear from an owner directly! I am thinking of getting the Orbit Shifter from JTRSpeakers.

Damn. That thing is an absolute beast. There's no way I could swing something that huge in my space. I'll let you know how the Seaton sounds, I'll probably post the review in the Submersive thread when I get everything set up.
post #112 of 934 Old 04-14-2012, 05:56 AM

Hello, I have an onkyo 5009, connected to a pc and a Pioneer p50vt30.

I am having strange click sounds (not classical click from Onkyo) when I use hdmi from my gtx 680 graphic card (nvidia), windows 7 media player and high volume (stereo or all channels stereo), with mp3 or wma archives. If I use optical, no problem.

The click sounds come from 5009 when I use high volume, from 65 to 85, and are more audible when the volume is higher.

If I use optical input, there is no click sound, so it has to do with hdmi circuits.

In spite of click sounds in the onkyo, the receiver works correctly, and gets hotty too..

Anyone having this trouble?

EDIT: I have the same problem with optical, but the click is more random and less audible. It seems has to do with heat..

PC LGA 2011 Intel 3930K C2 Onkyo 5009 2xMonitor Audio GX300 Biamp Kef XQ50C 2xKef XQ10 Rel R-205 Sub Panasonic P50VT30
post #113 of 934 Old 04-14-2012, 03:07 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

A little late with my response, but just to confirm that this is EXACTLY what I encountered when setting up my 5009. "Sound floor" read about 48db with fridge/HVAC/fluorescent lighting off and wife/kids/dog removed - and I'm out in the country without any external noise. The dial on my Velodyne sub read 1.5 out of 10 when adjusted to 75db. Audyssey outcome was spectacular. So no need to worry; this seems normal.
post #114 of 934 Old 04-20-2012, 09:28 AM

At the risk of sounding like I am display watching, does anyone else's 3009, flag that it's decoding DTS when a TrueHD track is being bit streamed via Blu-Ray?? This only happens with TrueHD tracks. Streaming content from VUDU using their Dolby Plus codec and the Onkyo displays properly, as well as and standard DD content.I've had the receiver a little a month and have had zero issues, and did the latest FW upgrade a couple weeks back. Content sounds fine just curious as to why the obvious discrepancy.

Any ideas??
post #115 of 934 Old 04-20-2012, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperCane View Post

At the risk of sounding like I am display watching, does anyone else's 3009, flag that it's decoding DTS when a TrueHD track is being bit streamed via Blu-Ray?? This only happens with TrueHD tracks. Streaming content from VUDU using their Dolby Plus codec and the Onkyo displays properly, as well as and standard DD content.I've had the receiver a little a month and have had zero issues, and did the latest FW upgrade a couple weeks back. Content sounds fine just curious as to why the obvious discrepancy.

Any ideas??

Not with my unit, TrueHD BD's show as TrueHD, I'm thinking your player is not set to bitstream lossless codecs. Check to make sure you have secondary audio off.
post #116 of 934 Old 04-20-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismo604 View Post

Not with my unit, TrueHD BD's show as TrueHD, I'm thinking your player is not set to bitstream lossless codecs. Check to make sure you have secondary audio off.

That was the problem. It somehow got turned back on between when I got the 3009 and now. Thanks for the help and quick reply.
post #117 of 934 Old 04-21-2012, 12:43 PM

Liked: 59
Hey guys, I've been over on audioholics, but they don't have an owners thread so I thought I'd join this one. It was a bit of an adventure when I went to upgrade my receiver, but in the end I got an awesome deal on a brand new 3009 ($1400 ) I've had it for about a week and so far I'm loving it. I haven't had much time to try out all the features and so far it's only about halfway setup, but here are some pics. The doo dad under the 3009 is also new and I must say that is pretty sweet as well. Hope you guys like the pics.

Those are 80x80mm fans, and I just ordered a 120x120mm fan as well. If I like the 120x120 I'll probably pick up another. All of the fans have an adjustable speed knob, but they need a little tweaking which I'm getting around to. Hopefully I'll have the fans setup for good in another week or two.
LL
LL
LL
post #118 of 934 Old 04-22-2012, 07:49 AM

Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmanuelgm View Post

Hello, I have an onkyo 5009, connected to a pc and a Pioneer p50vt30.

I am having strange click sounds (not classical click from Onkyo) when I use hdmi from my gtx 680 graphic card (nvidia), windows 7 media player and high volume (stereo or all channels stereo), with mp3 or wma archives. If I use optical, no problem.

The click sounds come from 5009 when I use high volume, from 65 to 85, and are more audible when the volume is higher.

If I use optical input, there is no click sound, so it has to do with hdmi circuits.

In spite of click sounds in the onkyo, the receiver works correctly, and gets hotty too..

Anyone having this trouble?

EDIT: I have the same problem with optical, but the click is more random and less audible. It seems has to do with heat..

I think I'm hearing a similar clicking noise on my 3009, but I can't claim it's due to heat since I've got the fans on top. Did you ever find out what that was?
post #119 of 934 Old 04-23-2012, 10:16 AM

Liked: 14
Heat Issue? Get the Rexflo 360MM Case Fan four pin molex (with or w/o LED) I have the Blue LED (Amazon - $30-$40 with shipping) then get the OKGear 4 pin molex AC adapter to power the fan (12V). (Newegg - $12 plus shipping) The fan covers about 95% of the top of the AVR, for excellent air flow into the unit, it is by far the cheapest and most effective cooling for this unit. I had the AVR on for over four hours (blu-ray concerts) and the back of the AVR wasn't even warm to the touch.

My list has some new stuff and some really, really old stuff...LOL

What I like (so far) is being able to play 2.1 / 5.1 multichannel lossless FLAC / WAV (PCM) music files from my wired NAS via the Oppo BDP-103 thru my Onkyo TX-NR 3009...nothing like listening to 96kHz / 24 bit lossless...
post #120 of 934 Old 04-23-2012, 11:29 AM

Liked: 14
Rexflo 360MM Case Fan w/Blue LED for Onkyo TX-NR3009 & 5009

BTW, it is very quiet!!

MODEL NO
SF3600

DIMENSIONS
360x360x30mm

RATED VOLTAGE
DC12V

RATED CURRENT
500±10% mA

RATED SPEED
600±5%rpm

MAXIMUM AIR FLOW
126.7CFM

NOISE
<21.7 dB(A)

LEAD WIRE
4 PIN MOLEX
LL

My list has some new stuff and some really, really old stuff...LOL

What I like (so far) is being able to play 2.1 / 5.1 multichannel lossless FLAC / WAV (PCM) music files from my wired NAS via the Oppo BDP-103 thru my Onkyo TX-NR 3009...nothing like listening to 96kHz / 24 bit lossless...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr3009 , Transformers Dark Of The Moon Three Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , The Fifth Element Remastered Blu Ray , Onkyo Ht Rc160 7 2 Channel A V Surround Home Theater Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page