The "Official" Onkyo TX-NR3009 Owners Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 922 Old 04-23-2012, 11:47 AM
Senior Member
 
kertofer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 237
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
How loud is it? That would be my only concern with this fan, other than that it looks like a great deal!
kertofer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 922 Old 04-23-2012, 12:08 PM
Senior Member
 
fuzz092888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The woods
Posts: 488
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 59
according to the specs it's not as loud as the fans I already have running at full bore, but not as quiet as when they're put on their lowest setting. Somewhere in between.

I would guess that with a silent room, with the receiver on a shelf in an entertainment center, that it would be barely audible from about 12 feet away.

Randal, thanks for the suggestion, I may pick one up and then I'll have three fans to compare too. If I like it, I can always use the other fans for amp duty
fuzz092888 is offline  
post #123 of 922 Old 04-23-2012, 01:46 PM
Member
 
randallhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chicago Suburb
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I was surprised just how quiet it is for its size. Since the fan blades are much longer than smaller case fan blades, the fan noise will be lower in Hz and at 600 rpm, it moves plenty of air into the unit, blowing the air out of the side vents and the openings on top. When nothing else is on (sound wise), HDTV, AVR etc. the fan is audible standing next to the AVR, but standing six to eight feet from the AVR, the fan is barely audible. I like the black plastic vent that covers the fan (it doesn't snap on to the fan, it just goes over it). I placed the fan flush on the top of the AVR, you don't need to anchor it, it sits nicely on top. If the black plastic cover is placed over the fan, it slightly increases the fan noise, so you do have a choice with or w/o the cover. I prefer the cover to be placed over the fan for safety reasons...lol. If you have your AVR in a cabinet, you probably wouldn't hear the fan at all. It really does work well. I've researched plenty of fan options for this particular AVR, and this is the one solution that seems to be the most effective for the price. Some folks are paying $150 or more for specialty HT/AVR/AMP cooling fans which probably wouldn't provide better cooling than my $45 solution. The test though will be the MTBF (mean time between failures) how long before it dies...I'd just buy another $30 fan.

My list has some new stuff and some really, really old stuff...LOL

What I like (so far) is being able to play 2.1 / 5.1 multichannel lossless FLAC / WAV (PCM) music files from my wired NAS via the Oppo BDP-103 thru my Onkyo TX-NR 3009...nothing like listening to 96kHz / 24 bit lossless...
randallhill is offline  
post #124 of 922 Old 04-23-2012, 02:40 PM
Member
 
randallhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chicago Suburb
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
RE: Heat Dissipation

See my post on page four of this forum for Onkyo TX-NR3009 - 360MM fan.

I have a 360MM fan blowing ambient air into the AVR, the fan is quite efficient in dissipating any heat build up by blowing the heated air out of the side vents and through the openings on top of the AVR. I have not tried he fan with it sucking the air out of the AVR, either way, it's far better than no fan, as this unit does get quite warm without the help of a fan.

My list has some new stuff and some really, really old stuff...LOL

What I like (so far) is being able to play 2.1 / 5.1 multichannel lossless FLAC / WAV (PCM) music files from my wired NAS via the Oppo BDP-103 thru my Onkyo TX-NR 3009...nothing like listening to 96kHz / 24 bit lossless...
randallhill is offline  
post #125 of 922 Old 04-23-2012, 02:59 PM
Senior Member
 
fuzz092888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The woods
Posts: 488
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by randallhill View Post

RE: Heat Dissipation

See my post on page four of this forum for Onkyo TX-NR3009 - 360MM fan.

I have a 360MM fan blowing ambient air into the AVR, the fan is quite efficient in dissipating any heat build up by blowing the heated air out of the side vents and through the openings on top of the AVR. I have not tried he fan with it sucking the air out of the AVR, either way, it's far better than no fan, as this unit does get quite warm without the help of a fan.

Like the looks and specs of the fan, don't like how you're using it

Unless my units are in an airtight unit where only filtered air is being blown in from the bottom front of the unit, I wouldn't want a fan blowing into the receiver or whatever else. In addition to that, if I was in that type of situation I wouldn't want the fan on top blowing air down. The fan would be better utilized underneath the AVR blowing the (particle free) air up and into the AVR allowing the heat to follow it's natural path. Then the heat would get sucked out of the top rear panel of the unit. Although that's just to demonstrate how I would do it if I HAD to blow into the AVR. In reality even with all things considered, I'd still probably have the fans on top sucking air out.

For my situation and most others, because of the unfiltered air, fans on top pulling the hot air out allowing cooler air to be gently pulled from underneath the AVR will keep the thing well within it's operating temperature range.

I read what you posted, and the responses. You both make sense, and I agree if you want something cool the best way is to blow cold air onto it, but in this situation the most effective way to cool it could also lead to you damaging your equipment (unless your place of residence has very clean air). Think about a computer, lots of delicate electronics and no air being blown onto anything. Even guys who custom build their PC's never have air blowing onto the boards. It's always about pulling the hot air away.

Based on the specs the fan seems like a great option, but it will be sucking for me not blowing
fuzz092888 is offline  
post #126 of 922 Old 04-23-2012, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member
 
njfoses's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 647
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
What internal temps are you guys getting? Here's how to find out. When the unit is on hold down the display button on the front panel, while holding display press and release the power button, then press the tone button. This can only be done on the unit itself not the remote. You will see some new information on the screen and the temp is displayed in Celsius. My integra 80.3 (virtually the same as the 5009) runs around 44 deg Celsius at a fairly loud level. Granted my unit is open on the sides and rear but only has about 3/4" clearance above to a glass shelf. Still this temp is pretty good compared to the older models and i believe the internal fans don't even kick on until around 55 deg Celsius.
njfoses is offline  
post #127 of 922 Old 04-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Senior Member
 
fuzz092888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The woods
Posts: 488
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Thats cool, I'll have to try that when I get home tomorrow. My guess would be that before I added fans I was probably somewhere around 110+ degrees F. Now, when I run with the two small fans I have at half power, probably somewhere in the 70 - 80 degrees F on top surface and probably around 80-90 on the back panel. I haven't taken any real measurements, just estimates from feeling the unit, and knowing what the associated temps generally feel like to the touch.

I'm not really worried about the unit overheating, I just that back hdmi board to stay cool since those were a big problem with the recall. Better safe than sorry.
fuzz092888 is offline  
post #128 of 922 Old 04-23-2012, 06:14 PM
Member
 
DrRx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Burlington, Ontario, CANADA
Posts: 114
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post

What internal temps are you guys getting? Here's how to find out. When the unit is on hold down the display button on the front panel, while holding display press and release the power button, then press the tone button. This can only be done on the unit itself not the remote. You will see some new information on the screen and the temp is displayed in Celsius. My integra 80.3 (virtually the same as the 5009) runs around 44 deg Celsius at a fairly loud level. Granted my unit is open on the sides and rear but only has about 3/4" clearance above to a glass shelf. Still this temp is pretty good compared to the older models and i believe the internal fans don't even kick on until around 55 deg Celsius.

I have an Onkyo 5009 and the fan kicks in at 50'C. That happened to me one time whereupon I immediately went out to source a laptop cooling fan to keep the temperature cooler. After testing models from 4-5 different manufacturers, I found the best performer to be a Thermaltake Massive 23CS (http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-CL.../dp/B002JM1RKO). This unit is made of solid aluminum (so little chance of warping and causing fan blade noise, or worse, fan failure), has a 9" fan, 2 speed settings, and is dead quiet (inaudible 2-3 feet away). It fits perfectly on top of the receiver with high quality rubber feet to prevent any scratching or vibration/movement, and the fan is nicely positioned right over the HDMI board to suck out the heated air and keep that critical component cool. The best feature is that it is USB-powered so it just plugs into the USB port on the back of the Onkyo and automatically powers on and off with the receiver itself. I've used it for about a month now and it keeps the Onkyo at about 36'C even when the receiver is running all day long (that's just about our human body temperature of 37'C for comparison). Watching a 2 hour BluRay at close to reference volume levels the max temperature I have recorded is 39'C.
LL
DrRx is offline  
post #129 of 922 Old 04-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Member
 
randallhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chicago Suburb
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
See the attached photo...the ambient temp is 21.7C and the temp reported by the unit is 25C or 71F and 77F respectively, the RH is 32%. The fan is blowing into the unit. The fan appears to be keeping the unit on the cool side.

Just wish I could find an appropriate filter to use with the fan, I really don't wish to blow or suck dust into the unit.
LL

My list has some new stuff and some really, really old stuff...LOL

What I like (so far) is being able to play 2.1 / 5.1 multichannel lossless FLAC / WAV (PCM) music files from my wired NAS via the Oppo BDP-103 thru my Onkyo TX-NR 3009...nothing like listening to 96kHz / 24 bit lossless...
randallhill is offline  
post #130 of 922 Old 04-26-2012, 06:08 AM
Member
 
chiltonj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello all,
My current setup is a Onkyo NR-TX3009 with Def Tech speakers (8060BP front, 8080BP center and surround side and back with 8040BP's). The surrounds are connected to the Zone ports in the back.

I want to add two pairs of outdoor speakers on two different levels (Yamaha AW570, rated 6 ohms).

It appears that the only way that I can hook these up is together via series on Zone 2 which effectively would mean 12 ohms and that should be OK with the receiver if I am reading the manual right which says it supports 4-16 ohms

I guess I would have top outdoor as Left channel and bottom outdoor as right channel (wiring Left only and Right only would be a huge pain).

Does this sound about right or does anyone have any creative ideas? I don't want to add another receiver to the line. Effectively, I want to control everything outdoors with my droid onkyo app.

Much appreciation for any input you have. Thanks.
chiltonj is online now  
post #131 of 922 Old 04-27-2012, 08:50 AM
Member
 
randallhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Chicago Suburb
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESPNSTI View Post





That aside, I am actually here for a question.
I'm looking to upgrade from a TX-SR875, which I'm quite happy with except for one issue.
In certain situations there is a delay of several seconds, presumably for it to figure out if it's dolby, dts, etc...
For example this occurs when:
  • switching channels on my dish
  • the start or end of a commercial break
  • changing source
  • the source has audio drop-outs
Is this referred to as "audio acquisition delay"?

This isn't the main reason why I'm looking to upgrade, but this problem can get quite annoying, so I want to make sure I get it resolved.
I'm looking to get either no delay at all or a fraction of a second at most.
Can this problem still happen in the TX-NR3009? (or any of the other newer Onkyo models for that matter?)

I tried HDMI (STB to AVR to HDTV - Panasonic Plasma) via Comcast HD STB using silver plated high speed cable and there was a 2-3 second delay for video and sound, the AVR would switch sound settings e.g., DD, DD 5.1 etc. that was a bit annoying, also on some SD channels I was getting a green vertical bar on the right of the screen about 2" wide next to the black side bar, again annoying, so I opted out of the HDMI through the STB. I use the 3009 mainly for BD/DVD movies, concerts and music from my NAS, phono, HD radio (which is awesome), cassette deck and CD player.

My list has some new stuff and some really, really old stuff...LOL

What I like (so far) is being able to play 2.1 / 5.1 multichannel lossless FLAC / WAV (PCM) music files from my wired NAS via the Oppo BDP-103 thru my Onkyo TX-NR 3009...nothing like listening to 96kHz / 24 bit lossless...
randallhill is offline  
post #132 of 922 Old 06-11-2012, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member
 
flint350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Baltimore, Md.
Posts: 2,164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27

This thread has been quiet, but I can't seem to find an answer on a question about Audyssey, so I will ask here.  Searched, RTFM, etc and can't find a way, if there is one, to save more than one Audyssey calibration.  My old Pioneers and Denons allowed memory positions for "seat position" or simple calibration preferences.  With the 3009, I made a 6 position XT32 calibration and was offered to save as a "movie" or "music".  However, I have an 11.1 speaker setup and would like the ability to change from FW to FH and keep the Surr. Backs for different types of movies.  The best I can determine is that I have to recalibrate if I do that since there is apparently only 1 'save' position.  It would seem, with all the built-in outputs that Onkyo would allow multiple saves to switch to when you switch speakers in use.  Any ideas or am I just missing something obvious?


Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
flint350 is offline  
post #133 of 922 Old 06-11-2012, 06:36 PM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,161
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
^^
First, note that it's always best to use all 8 mic positions to provide more data to the Audyssey filters, the last 7 within a 2'-3' radius from mic position #1. And although not as familiar with the 3009, similar to the Denon/Marantz AVRs, you can only save one Audyssey run at a time. Although Audyssey Pro can be used to store multiple runs, the 3009 is not a Pro capable receiver.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #134 of 922 Old 06-11-2012, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
climber07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,599
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 945
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

This thread has been quiet, but I can't seem to find an answer on a question about Audyssey, so I will ask here.  Searched, RTFM, etc and can't find a way, if there is one, to save more than one Audyssey calibration.  My old Pioneers and Denons allowed memory positions for "seat position" or simple calibration preferences.  With the 3009, I made a 6 position XT32 calibration and was offered to save as a "movie" or "music".  However, I have an 11.1 speaker setup and would like the ability to change from FW to FH and keep the Surr. Backs for different types of movies.  The best I can determine is that I have to recalibrate if I do that since there is apparently only 1 'save' position.  It would seem, with all the built-in outputs that Onkyo would allow multiple saves to switch to when you switch speakers in use.  Any ideas or am I just missing something obvious?

I can only save one to my NR3009.

Onkyo TX-NR3009 - Emotiva XPA-2 300 WPC - Polk Audio RTiA9 Mains - CSiA6 Center - F/XiA6 Surrounds - Dual PSA XV-15se Subwoofers - Samsung UN55C8000 3D LED TV - Samsung BD-F5900 3D Bluray - WDTV Live HD Media Player with 6TB External Storage - Nintendo Wii - XBox 360 - Logitech Harmony One...
climber07 is offline  
post #135 of 922 Old 06-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Senior Member
 
mbrennem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 288
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When you calibrate Audyssey it should use all of your 11 speakers (plus subs). It will save calibration data for all speakers. When you switch between speaker configs it will simply use the appropriate config for each of the speakers you have selected. So there should be no need to save more than 1 configuration unless you need to change rooms or move speakers on a regular basis. Unless I am missing the point of your question?
mbrennem is offline  
post #136 of 922 Old 06-12-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member
 
flint350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Baltimore, Md.
Posts: 2,164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27

Thanks to all 3 of you for the quick and useful replies!  The combination of answers has been most helpful.  I plan to go back and re-cal with all 8 positions, though I normally am alone and felt that might be sufficient based on my center seat.  Can't hurt to re-do with all 8 though and get a total room calibration.  My room is quite large, so I didn't want the sound to be to "averaged" for maximum coverage and was more interested in my center position.  Thanks again.


Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
flint350 is offline  
post #137 of 922 Old 06-14-2012, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Does anyone know where I can find the serial number for the 3009? It doesn't seem to be on the back of the unit.
dreaux is online now  
post #138 of 922 Old 06-14-2012, 06:43 PM
Senior Member
 
MCF34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looking for a receiver to replace my aging HK AVR635. A denon 2312ci didn't do it. Based on pricing of the 3009, what do you all think about the 3009'vs the new 818 for a 5.1 system with Klipsch bookshelf speakers and a svs 12x2 sub to handle the bass. I have to say the 818 looks like a beast on paper. Thanks. Even being new can get for about $600 less than the 3009.

Jutter is gone..zipadeedoodah zipadeeday!!!
MCF34 is offline  
post #139 of 922 Old 06-14-2012, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
dreaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,247
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCF34 View Post

Looking for a receiver to replace my aging HK AVR635. A denon 2312ci didn't do it. Based on pricing of the 3009, what do you all think about the 3009'vs the new 818 for a 5.1 system with Klipsch bookshelf speakers and a svs 12x2 sub to handle the bass. I have to say the 818 looks like a beast on paper. Thanks. Even being new can get for about $600 less than the 3009.

You can find the 3009 for $700 off list in a number of places now.
dreaux is online now  
post #140 of 922 Old 06-14-2012, 07:15 PM
Senior Member
 
MCF34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 367
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

You can find the 3009 for $700 off list in a number of places now.

Agreed which still puts it $600 more than what you can get the 818. So is the 3009 $600 better than the 818 for a 5.1 or 7.1 system? If so, why other than having more channels? Thanks!

Jutter is gone..zipadeedoodah zipadeeday!!!
MCF34 is offline  
post #141 of 922 Old 06-15-2012, 11:10 AM
Member
 
Tsunamijhoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have now been using my 3009 for about 3 days,and was wondering if the sound delay over hdmi is normal?

Whenever i change audio tracks on dvd/blu-ray or play cd´s and change song,it takes about a second or 2 for the hdmi to let the sound through,which is extremely annoying,my old 906 didn´t do this.

Also, if i play in stereo mode,and crank it up to zero and above,the amp will shut down,even though i don´t find the audio level to be that high,i have to power off and power on again to get sound,any idea why this happens? My fronts are B&W 683, and it only happens in stereo mode.

My speakers are wired correctly,and everything works as intended except these problems.
Tsunamijhoe is offline  
post #142 of 922 Old 06-22-2012, 07:21 PM
Senior Member
 
freeyayo50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunamijhoe View Post

I have now been using my 3009 for about 3 days,and was wondering if the sound delay over hdmi is normal?
Whenever i change audio tracks on dvd/blu-ray or play cd´s and change song,it takes about a second or 2 for the hdmi to let the sound through,which is extremely annoying,my old 906 didn´t do this.
Also, if i play in stereo mode,and crank it up to zero and above,the amp will shut down,even though i don´t find the audio level to be that high,i have to power off and power on again to get sound,any idea why this happens? My fronts are B&W 683, and it only happens in stereo mode.
My speakers are wired correctly,and everything works as intended except these problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunamijhoe View Post

I have now been using my 3009 for about 3 days,and was wondering if the sound delay over hdmi is normal?
Whenever i change audio tracks on dvd/blu-ray or play cd´s and change song,it takes about a second or 2 for the hdmi to let the sound through,which is extremely annoying,my old 906 didn´t do this.
Also, if i play in stereo mode,and crank it up to zero and above,the amp will shut down,even though i don´t find the audio level to be that high,i have to power off and power on again to get sound,any idea why this happens? My fronts are B&W 683, and it only happens in stereo mode.
My speakers are wired correctly,and everything works as intended except these problems.

Been using my 3009 at 0db and it doesnt shut off on me. Have you updated firmware?

I must say 3009 is a great AVR. Im coming from a 609. Power is nice and clean. Using it with Polk RTi A7

AVR: Onkyo 3009...Onkyo 609 (Old)
Amp: QSC GX5 (powering RTi A7s) & GX3 (powering CSi3)

Speakers:
Polk Audio CSi3 (Center)...CS1 (Old)
Polk Audio RTi A7 (Fronts)...Monitor 60 (old)
Polk Audio OWM 5 (Surrounds)

Sub: SVS PC12-Plus...BIC America PL-200(Old)
freeyayo50 is offline  
post #143 of 922 Old 06-23-2012, 07:21 AM
Advanced Member
 
coolcat4843's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
With the 2012 Onkyo models in stores, I'am hoping that the price will continue to drop on the 3009. smile.gif

coolcat4843 is offline  
post #144 of 922 Old 06-23-2012, 08:33 AM
Member
 
shepjk26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: indiana
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
checkout onecall.com for the best price.I returned an 818 due to lack of video processing on the sub hdmi out and picked up a 3009 to take its place.
shepjk26 is online now  
post #145 of 922 Old 06-23-2012, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
flint350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Baltimore, Md.
Posts: 2,164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27

I finally added a pair of Height speakers to complete my 11.1 system and got a bit of a surprise during setup.  Apparently, when choosing the "both height/wide" setting, you must disconnect the back surrounds and connect the "wides" to the back surround outputs on the 3009.  Given the "speaker layout" button and how it works, I thought it would be a simple process of connecting all the speakers (knowing that only 9 can be driven at once) and then choosing from the 3 options for 9.1 - FW/BK SURR  FH/BK SURR  or both FW/FH with NO Bk SURR.  Not so.  You can choose from wide or height with backs but must actually disconnect and reconfigure to go Both Wide/Height.  What troubles me even more than this inconvenience, is that the onscreen setup says that when using Both Wide/Height, the Wides (most important of the 3) now derive their content from the Back Surround channel!  That seems counter-intuitive to me, but I could be missing something.  This sounds like the wide channel is now just a mix of back surround content vs. how it is accomplished with the dedicated wide connection.  Am I missing something? 


Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
flint350 is offline  
post #146 of 922 Old 06-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Senior Member
 
freeyayo50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: NY
Posts: 374
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepjk26 View Post

checkout onecall.com for the best price.I returned an 818 due to lack of video processing on the sub hdmi out and picked up a 3009 to take its place.

Onecall had a pretty good price on Amazon. I paid $1470 for mine from them about a week ago, brand new. I see it is lower now. Good time to buy I guess.

AVR: Onkyo 3009...Onkyo 609 (Old)
Amp: QSC GX5 (powering RTi A7s) & GX3 (powering CSi3)

Speakers:
Polk Audio CSi3 (Center)...CS1 (Old)
Polk Audio RTi A7 (Fronts)...Monitor 60 (old)
Polk Audio OWM 5 (Surrounds)

Sub: SVS PC12-Plus...BIC America PL-200(Old)
freeyayo50 is offline  
post #147 of 922 Old 06-24-2012, 02:18 AM
Senior Member
 
dowop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: N.E. Ohio
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by flint350 View Post

I finally added a pair of Height speakers to complete my 11.1 system and got a bit of a surprise during setup.  Apparently, when choosing the "both height/wide" setting, you must disconnect the back surrounds and connect the "wides" to the back surround outputs on the 3009.  Given the "speaker layout" button and how it works, I thought it would be a simple process of connecting all the speakers (knowing that only 9 can be driven at once) and then choosing from the 3 options for 9.1 - FW/BK SURR  FH/BK SURR  or both FW/FH with NO Bk SURR.  Not so.  You can choose from wide or height with backs but must actually disconnect and reconfigure to go Both Wide/Height.  What troubles me even more than this inconvenience, is that the onscreen setup says that when using Both Wide/Height, the Wides (most important of the 3) now derive their content from the Back Surround channel!  That seems counter-intuitive to me, but I could be missing something.  This sounds like the wide channel is now just a mix of back surround content vs. how it is accomplished with the dedicated wide connection.  Am I missing something? 

This does not answer your question.
I run a 9.2 (wides & heights) setup on a 3009 with the screen centered dialogue set to 3. This puts more dialogue in the heights & really helps a old coot like me with some movies & tv shows.
dowop is offline  
post #148 of 922 Old 06-24-2012, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member
 
coolcat4843's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepjk26 View Post

checkout onecall.com for the best price.I returned an 818 due to lack of video processing on the sub hdmi out and picked up a 3009 to take its place.

$1,349.00, same price as Amazon.

I think the price will continue to drop because the 2012 models are out.

coolcat4843 is offline  
post #149 of 922 Old 06-25-2012, 02:42 AM
Advanced Member
 
coolcat4843's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 718
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCF34 View Post

Agreed which still puts it $600 more than what you can get the 818. So is the 3009 $600 better than the 818 for a 5.1 or 7.1 system? If so, why other than having more channels? Thanks!

TX-NR3009 = More power, Sub EQ HT and other cool.gif features.

coolcat4843 is offline  
post #150 of 922 Old 06-25-2012, 06:10 PM
Member
 
naamanf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Late joiner to the NR3009 party. FYI I was able to get it from Best Buy for $1255.
naamanf is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo , Onkyo Tx Nr3009 , Transformers Dark Of The Moon Three Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , The Fifth Element Remastered Blu Ray , Onkyo Ht Rc160 7 2 Channel A V Surround Home Theater Receiver

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off