Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 38 Old 12-06-2012, 12:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

Looks like Kal R will be doing a review of the Marantz av8801 and will be comparing it to the integra 80.2 .... so before you upgrade/change...

Very good advice. I think the Marantz will be too expensive where I live, also I have very little experience with how they sound. Switching to the Anthem MRX made me realise how much I actually enjoyed my Onkyo:)

I'm hoping a 2 year newer model with better dacs and a seperate processor will be even better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 12-06-2012, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjaudio View Post

It's already been covered before, the Integra 80.2 and Onkyo 5508 use the same parts except for cosmetics and the Onkyo adds a Pure audio function.
The Integra's do have a longer warranty and the high end Integra receivers support Audyssey pro calibration were as the Onkyo receivers do not. The Onkyo 5508 does support Audyssey pro, I have done a Audyssey pro calibration on my 5508.
Generally you can get a lower price on the Onkyo pre-pro's than the Integra's.

All my Onkyo units, 5509 and 3009, support Audyssey Pro. This is also true for the Onkyo 5009 and the big Onkyo AVRs of 2012 .
post #33 of 38 Old 12-06-2012, 06:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey View Post

All my Onkyo units, 5509 and 3009, support Audyssey Pro. This is also true for the Onkyo 5009 and the big Onkyo AVRs of 2012 .

Not so sure.  I have an Onkyo 5010 (US version, of course) which, according to both Audyssey and Onkyo, does not support Audyssey Pro.  Only the European versions will.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #34 of 38 Old 12-06-2012, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Not so sure.  I have an Onkyo 5010 (US version, of course) which, according to both Audyssey and Onkyo, does not support Audyssey Pro.  Only the European versions will.

My understanding is that Audyssey Pro is only removed from the U.S. Onkyo receiver line (e.g. TX-NR5010/3010/1010), but not the pre/pros (e.g. PR-SC5509 or DHC-80.3).

Certainly worth validating.
post #35 of 38 Old 12-07-2012, 12:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Mine are European variants of those models...
post #36 of 38 Old 11-21-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 763
With HDMI 1.4 coming out soon, if anyone wants to sell their SC5508 please pm me.

"Without subs it's just background music - with subs it's the main event!"
Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
2012 KC Blind Sub Shootout
My Subwoofer Recommendations by Pricepoint
post #37 of 38 Old 01-28-2014, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey View Post

The 5509 seems to be the stable version of the 5508...

SQ-wise the latest firmware update for the 5509 / 5009 / 3009 has upped the SQ in general as several owners have mentioned already, although neither Onkyo nor Audyssey had given any hint to this.

Therefor a noticeable SQ difference should exist now between the 5508 / 5008 / 3008 and the latest firmware upgraded 5509 / 5009 / 3009.

5509, 5009 and 3009 all are supported regarding the Audyssey Pro Installer Kit, when the latest firmware (March '2012) has been installed.

And the design... i prefer the new clean and straight design much more than the earlier belly type one.

Source?

and contradiction -- the 5508 supports Audyssey Pro.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
post #38 of 38 Old 01-28-2014, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman3520 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchild View Post

Based on what I know the differences between the 5508/80.2 and the 5509/80.3 are:

1. Video Processing (HQV Reon-VX vs. Vida)

The 5509/80.3 has the newer Vida; supposed real improvement on the Vida 1900 is improved mosquito/noise reduction for SD (HQV StreamClean) and HD inputs (i.e. make your super compressed cable channels look better). I imagine most would be hard pressed to detect an actual difference in the basic deinterlacing and scaling alone.

2. DTS Neo:X

The 5509/80.3 has the new DTS DSP to upmix 2.0/5.1/7.1 to 9.1/11.1

3. Improved Relay Clicking

The 5508/80.2 suffers from audible relay clicking in the event you desire to utilize the processor to always pass through the native stream (e.g. you allow it to switch from 5.1 to 2.0 as opposed to native 5.1 to ProLogic II/x/z).

Lastly, all the Onkyo Pro (or now Onkyo) products offer "Pure Audio" mode that disengages any and all processing circuitry (effectively just using the processor as a line stage) while the Integra offers the extra year of warranty. To be honest I'm not totally clear on how the "Pure Audio" and "Direct" modes differ given I'm not an owner......yet.

Hello, can anyone confirm if there is really a difference in the relay clicking on any of these models from Onkyo and Integra? I have an Onkyo 5507 and I'm just about done with the relay clicks and plan to sell it and buy something else. I bought a Marantz 7005 and loved the lack of constant relay clicks! But the SQ wasn't as good as the Onkyo 5507 and there was an audible electronic processing noise output at high freq that I could hear within 2' of my L/R main tweeters. You know, the kind of electronic noise like I've heard from cheap MP3 players and mobile phone analog audio outputs that are coupling digital noise and amplifying it? Well I heard that out my speakers even with a digital input on pause! It's dead silent with the Onkyo as it should be.

Anyway, I like the features and SQ of the 5507 except for the relay clicks. I'm trying to confirm if this poster's statement is true that either the Onkyo 5509 or Integra 80.3 do away with the ridiculous relays.

The relay problem is that if a digital input such as HDMI is carrying encoded audio such as dolby digital, and that stream is interrupted for even a tiny fraction of a second, the Onkyo prepro clicks one or more relays back into a default standby position, and then returns them to the normal operational position once the digital stream resumes, causing a series of 2-4 relay clicks per event. Typical satellite or cable TV boxes with DVRs painfully highlight the issue since many common events result in brief interruptions in the digital audio stream. Events include channel changes, DVR pause/play/skip/rwd/ffwd, or very brief

So, I'd very much appreciate if someone who has a 5509 or 80.3 use this scenario description to test statement (3) of the author? Preferably using a DISH network DVR such as the 722 but really the relay clicks should be reproduced (or not) with any sound source passing encoded dolby digital directly to the prepro. Try pausing and playing the signal multiple times and I expect you will hear at least one relay click each time you pause or play.

If not, I would be so happy to buy one of these newer models!

Otherwise if Onkyo still can't get a clue after years of complaints, I'll have to find another make and model. Other than Marantz due to the SQ issues I recently experienced. Oh, and I also have had to shun Denon because my previous $2K Denon AVR developed a temp sensitive issue a few months out of warranty and now cannot output video until it heats itself up for 10 minutes! /sigh

Thanks!

The relay problem is not a problem when you choose the default output decoding in the setup menu for each source. Then it isn't constantly trying to switch from stereo to Dolby Digital or what not.

Archaea's Theatre Room
2011 KC Sub Shootout
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Prsc5509 9 2 Channel 3d Ready Preamplifier , Onkyo Integra Dtr80 3
Gear in this thread - Prsc5509 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page