Alternative to Denon 3312? Apps and Network Features - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-03-2011, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Getting around to pulling the trigger on a new AVR for our home and in my previous research the Denon 3311/3312 was the right choice for me (informed buyer but not tech expect).

In addition to getting the best sound and picture, the network features and IP control of the receiver and sources is key. We have an iPad and Android phone in the house so either platform works for us.

Our theatre is 5.1 (AV123 Onyx Ref 1's)
Our main floor is a single 2.0 zone

Yet to be connected are:
Our backyard is two 2.0 zones
Man cave (garage) is 2.0

I currently have a Yamaha RX-V1600 and Emotiva UPA 7 & NAD (2 channel) Amps.

I have a modest amount of sources: Media Server, PS3, Sat Box all through HDMI

My plan was to put the Yamaha in the garage and power it and the outdoors with it, but now I'm realizing that I'll sacrifice control of the AVR.

I'm assuming I can't really drive all the zones with a single AVR. If it's possible, how so?

For the interior zones, do I a better option than the Denon 3312 given that I probably won't use the internal amp? What would I sacrifice if I saved a few hundred and went with the Denon 2312? Or is there a separate with same features I'm looking for in the $850 price range?

Van G

Carl Spackler: "The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-06-2011, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Did a walk through local store and I think I'm looking at putting something like a used or refurb 3311ci (or feature & power equiv) in the garage for outdoor zones, and a 3312ci or a couple different separate options which cost more money.

Still interested in feedback to original post.

Van G

Carl Spackler: "The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff."
post #3 of 4 Old 11-06-2011, 03:12 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 1318
The 3311CI/3312CI are the lowest level models in their respective series that feature both Zones 2 and 3. You could power Zone 2 (2 sets of outdoor speakers) with the AVR's amps using a multi zone impedance matching speaker selector and then connect the Zone 3 preouts to the Yamaha to power the garage speakers. Keep in mind that HDMI sources will not pass to Zones 2/3 so you'll need to also connect either optical/coax (PCM 2.0 only) or analog from the sources in addition to the HDMI cable for the main zone.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 4 Old 11-06-2011, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

I'm really considering going with 2 AVR's and wonder if the 2312 is sonically and feature wise the same as the 3312 for my needs.

Given that I won't be using the Amp of the one driving the basement HT and main floor audio, and the 2312 105 Watts is plenty of power to drive either the garage or exterior zones.

I think I've answered my own question - no pre-outs on the 2312!

Any other ideas going forward on a 2 AVR setup?

Van G

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page