Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

See the March issue.

Crap, received my new copy today, but it was only February...

Brad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 196 Old 01-13-2012, 08:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindamood View Post

Crap, received my new copy today, but it was only February...

And we're still in the first half of January!!

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #33 of 196 Old 01-15-2012, 11:51 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelsun View Post

I got my 1572 about a week before Sackrat got his. As I mentioned in the Rotel owners thread, my unit clips the first 1 to 2 seconds of each song. My work around now is to use the coaxial connection. Audio wise, I don't hear a difference. However with anything going to the Rotel via HDMI, the audio clips, DVD's that start with music, like the TV series MASH. On a movie with a layer change on a standard def DVD, the audio clips as the new layer starts. However, with a movie on blu ray, I haven't experienced the issue. But I have experienced the clipping with the Star Trek TOS blu rays as an episode starts, the first second of audio is clipped.

I can confirm that mine does not have this issue. If I were you, I'd just get an exchange.
post #34 of 196 Old 01-17-2012, 11:27 AM

On the other hand, my unit started exhibiting it's own bizarre behavior yesterday. In the morning, I turned on my TiVo Premiere, which is connected to HDMI input 1. The 1572 turned on automatically. I wasn't expecting this but assumed that one of it's features was to turn on in response to a signal. Later that day, I did the same thing and the Rotel flickered for a while, on and off and making a lot of clicking noises. Then it came on. Then later still I again turned the TiVo on while the Rotel was in standby mode and the 1572 struggled mightily, clicking and flickering and finally going silent but working as an HDMI pass through without turning on. Then today the unit stopped responding to the remote. That latter problem was fixed not by changing batteries, which I tried, but by turning the rocker switch off in the back, waiting and then turning it back on. But when it no longer responds to the TiVo being turned on AND flickers quite dramatically when turning being turned on, displaying a jumbled screen. i don't think that behavior was there before.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do I have a lemon? Are there many varieties of lemon out there for this thing? Still wondering if this thing needs to go back, despite liking it.
post #35 of 196 Old 01-19-2012, 05:19 AM

Is it possible to dim or turn off the front panel disply on the 1572? I've looked through the user manual but couldn't find anything.

Kind regards,

Steve
post #36 of 196 Old 01-19-2012, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
[quote=sijones;21515538]Is it possible to dim or turn off the front panel disply on the 1572? I've looked through the user manual but couldn't find anything.

Rotel provides two quality stick on circles that attach around the power button on front panel. This dims the bright blue button by close to 80% to where it is not very apparent and not a distraction, at least for me.
post #37 of 196 Old 01-19-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackrat View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sijones View Post

Is it possible to dim or turn off the front panel disply on the 1572? I've looked through the user manual but couldn't find anything.

Rotel provides two quality stick on circles that attach around the power button on front panel. This dims the bright blue button by close to 80% to where it is not very apparent and not a distraction, at least for me.

Thanks for your reply.

Is there also a sticker to attach around the volume control?

Kind regards,

Steve
post #38 of 196 Old 01-19-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
I did not see anything to place around the volume control. To me it is not that bright to need and dimming. Let us know what you decide.
post #39 of 196 Old 01-19-2012, 12:38 PM

It is unusual not to have the ability to dim the front panel display on a processor. All of my kit is more or less blacked out. I even use the odd bit of black electrical insulation tape over some LEDs. The lack of dimming will probably be a showstopper for me as all my kit is near my screen and this would be a distraction.

Kind regards,

Steve
post #40 of 196 Old 01-23-2012, 03:35 PM

Hello Guys, I just picked up my 1572 last Friday and unfortunately the unit does skip the first second of audio. I am playing my AppleTV thru Optical1 and when I start a song it drops the first second, this is VERY ANNOYING. I have not had response from ROTEL yet, but I left message Friday and Monday. Did speak with a person that said they have had phone issues so I should hear more tomorrow. My dealer got thru earlier today and said they are aware of issue and are working on it. I also did firmware update over week end but this did not resolve issue. I also do not own a PC so I had to but Windows 7 for my Mac Mini and do Boot Camp to get the software so I could use the Serial/Ethernet cable. It is also VERY ANNOYING that there is no MAC support. I have been a ROTEL customer(just replaced my RSP1098) for +20years and this is disappointing.On a good note they unit does sound very good when not skipping audio:0)
post #41 of 196 Old 01-25-2012, 07:42 AM

I have been in good communication with ROTEL and as an interim solution it may be possible to add Group Delay to eliminate some of the start up loss. ROTEL is working with factory to try to resolve.
post #42 of 196 Old 01-26-2012, 02:37 AM

This audio issue over hdmi has been around since the Rotel 1069 and Rotel 1570 models.

The delay over optical-coaxial chances are will be rectified.

Myself and my dealer were in direct contact with Rotel re a fix for the hdmi audio delay. Dont hold your breath for this fix.
I dont mean to sound negative but this unit shouldnt have left the factory in china with that delay.

Trust me....Rotel were well aware of this problem years ago.
post #43 of 196 Old 01-27-2012, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Any way to turn-off/defeat the on-screen display? You know, when changing volume, detecting audio, etc?

B.
post #44 of 196 Old 01-28-2012, 05:58 AM

I have been in touch with support at B&W Group and they have been very responsive. This behavior may in fact be a one off but it's not proper. If it happens once more he advises I get make an exchange. Very satisfied with the customer service. And, although I won't have hooked up my theater for another 6 hours, I have listened to this playing music and used it with various sources and the television and I can definitely say it performs like a champ.
post #45 of 196 Old 01-30-2012, 04:31 AM

I have been in contact with Rotel and they have been very responsive, it is Golden Week in Japan and there will not be a response from factory for a while. I received replacement unit and it exhibits same problem of missing 1st second of music. HOWEVER, I was able to work around issue by using 1st generation AppleTV with Optical In. I no longer have issue of skipped 1st second of music. At this point I will be intereested to see if factory can come up with a fix.
post #46 of 196 Old 01-31-2012, 02:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 172
I've heard the same complaint about the missing 1 second at the beginning of each track regarding the Cary Cinema 12.

Some have speculated that it's to cover popping noises when changing sound formats, etc.

In any event, it's not unique to the Rotels.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #47 of 196 Old 02-06-2012, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post

Any way to turn-off/defeat the on-screen display? You know, when changing volume, detecting audio, etc?

B.

YES, there is a way, but no word about it on the manual!

Press and hold the SETUP-Key on the remote a while, then the display is completely off (not the ring, of course ). If you then change volume, the display is visible only for a moment, then it goes off again.

Bye
post #48 of 196 Old 02-08-2012, 07:38 PM

I brought home a Rotel 1572 to try in my dedicated home theater this afternoon. I was a little disappointed in the sound of CD's in my CD collection using the HDMI 2 connection assigned to video 2. I reassigned the CD input to coaxial digital in and the video for the CD selection to HDMI 2. I don't know if it's the quality of my HDMI cables or what but it took the sound of CD's when set to 2CH PCM to a whole new level. To say I was impressed by the improvement in the sound would be an understatement.

Comparing with a theater master ovation. Speakers are dunlavys, epson projector.
post #49 of 196 Old 02-09-2012, 05:27 AM

Quite interested in hearing more about the comparison to the Theater Master ovation (assuming it is an EAD).

From your test it appears the HDMI input is quite behind the good old SPDIF for pure 2channel audio.
post #50 of 196 Old 02-09-2012, 01:22 PM

I was surprised at the difference. The receivers for the coax in and the HDMI would be different so the path to the dac's is likely different. So the question I have is was it the HDMI connection bits or the HDMI cable that is responsible for the 2 channel sound difference. I would assume everything after the Dac's to be the same.

The processor is new so maybe the values of the components in the processor are still settling in. I guess it would be interesting to know if other users have noticed a difference in the 2 channel sound from different inputs.

I've had the EAD for a long time. I purchased the processor 2nd hand from a gentleman in Fairfield. I was told an EAD tech did the ovation conversion from an Encore, along with a couple other tweaks. It's a very pleasant processor to listen to. A listener can get drawn into the music or movie. it's very detailed with the body I would expect a content creator would have been looking to capture. It has had no firmware updates and has limited inputs and outputs. It's amazing that it will play DTS, and DD5.1 on current DVD purchases and from a sony BluRay and HDDVD player. It does just fine with the toslink out from a HD Dish receiver. It's been hard to find a processor that I think I would enjoy more.

This rotel is a good piece and I think I will keep it. I think on current sources the rotel decodes the current codecs better than the EAD. The 2 CH PCM from the digital coax input seems to me to sound better than from the EAD. I did have an expensive outboard DAC, at one time, that sounded better than either for stereo. But then my speakers are no longer setup for best stereo sound.
post #51 of 196 Old 02-09-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

And we're still in the first half of January!!

I read your review in the March issue. It takes alot of setup time to get the best sound.
post #52 of 196 Old 02-09-2012, 05:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Harrison View Post

I read your review in the March issue. It takes alot of setup time to get the best sound.

Yup but it depends on just how picky you are and that applies to most systems.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #53 of 196 Old 02-09-2012, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by SatHopper View Post

YES, there is a way, but no word about it on the manual!

Press and hold the SETUP-Key on the remote a while, then the display is completely off (not the ring, of course ). If you then change volume, the display is visible only for a moment, then it goes off again.

Bye

I was talking about the display on the TV--are you?

B.
post #54 of 196 Old 02-10-2012, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avery View Post

I was surprised at the difference. The receivers for the coax in and the HDMI would be different so the path to the dac's is likely different. So the question I have is was it the HDMI connection bits or the HDMI cable that is responsible for the 2 channel sound difference. I would assume everything after the Dac's to be the same.

The processor is new so maybe the values of the components in the processor are still settling in. I guess it would be interesting to know if other users have noticed a difference in the 2 channel sound from different inputs.

I've had the EAD for a long time. I purchased the processor 2nd hand from a gentleman in Fairfield. I was told an EAD tech did the ovation conversion from an Encore, along with a couple other tweaks. It's a very pleasant processor to listen to. A listener can get drawn into the music or movie. it's very detailed with the body I would expect a content creator would have been looking to capture. It has had no firmware updates and has limited inputs and outputs. It's amazing that it will play DTS, and DD5.1 on current DVD purchases and from a sony BluRay and HDDVD player. It does just fine with the toslink out from a HD Dish receiver. It's been hard to find a processor that I think I would enjoy more.

This rotel is a good piece and I think I will keep it. I think on current sources the rotel decodes the current codecs better than the EAD. The 2 CH PCM from the digital coax input seems to me to sound better than from the EAD. I did have an expensive outboard DAC, at one time, that sounded better than either for stereo. But then my speakers are no longer setup for best stereo sound.

EAD has a massive reputation. Quite a compliment to the Rotel if it can compete in the same category.

As for the different between coax and HDMI I think it has more to do with the inherent jitter of HDMI. I guess their HDMI implementation doesn't have any anti-jitter/buffering/re-clocking like those PQLS or PLL circuitry you can find on other receiver/processor.
post #55 of 196 Old 02-10-2012, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post

I was talking about the display on the TV--are you?

B.

No, it´s the receiver-display !!

Bye
SatHopper
post #56 of 196 Old 02-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Guess I better go pick up my mail...

Brad
post #57 of 196 Old 02-11-2012, 09:04 PM

I hope I am not hijacking this thread; is it more appropriate in the Rotel Owner's Thread or the Marantz AV-7005 Owner's Thread? I need advice on upgrading my setup.

Currently I have a Denon AVR-3508 (9 years old now and only component video switching) driving old Paradigm Monitor 7 speakers in a 7.1 configuration. I just bought used amps from a coworker and the improvement is so drastic I am back to loving audio! I got Rotel RB-1080 (2x200W) and Rotel RMB-1095 (5x200W) power plants. TV and speakers will come later.

I am mostly a movie guy with many DVD videos but am building a DVD-Audio collection with Blu-ray to follow. I am nerdy enough to have my own Linux DLNA server to provide DVD ISO (which I need to convert to a usable container) and FLAC files for 2-channel listening. I also watch a lot of Netflix streaming and TV from Verizon FIOS. I do not care about 3D.

The easy part is I already chose the Denon DBP-1611UD because it seems to be the cheapest Blu-ray transport to have Source Direct and DVD-Audio features. I want the processor to do all of the work: upscale DVD video and have good audio DACs so I may enjoy home theater, 2-ch, and multi-channel audio. I am an Electrical Engineer and never heard of the manufacturer of the DACs in the Marantz. I work on converters so I am often skeptical of the cost associated with A/V equipment.

The hard part is which A/V processor to choose. Is the Rotel RSP-1572's performance worth the price premium over the Marantz AV-7005 for my needs? I may be annoyed with having to manually EQ all my speakers, especially with a processor that costs $2k and doesn't have Audyssey. I am worried about SNR: Rotel's 92-95 dB vs. Marantz's 105 dB. My local salesman said the Rotel will sound better but its' specs are not as good (he also discredited Japanese products). No XLR outputs on the Rotel, either?

Coincidentally, I purchased a subscription to Stereophile in January...I hope it was soon enough to allow delivery of the anticipated March issue where the RSP-1572 is reviewed! The online review from Stereophile of the AV-7005 was very positive. I admit I haven't researched the Integra DHC-40.2 or 80.2, yet.
post #58 of 196 Old 02-12-2012, 12:52 AM

Quote:

Was this in the March issue of Stereophile? I only have the February issue listed in my digital subscription.

Kind regards,

Steve
post #59 of 196 Old 02-12-2012, 01:16 AM

Hi I just purchased an RSP1572, can anyone confirm that the blue ring around the volumeknop should lit up? Mine doesn't and it also sounds very weak on the low-end, maybe I have a bad piece?

Thanks,
Herman
post #60 of 196 Old 02-12-2012, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HermanW View Post

Hi I just purchased an RSP1572, can anyone confirm that the blue ring around the volumeknop should lit up? Mine doesn't and it also sounds very weak on the low-end, maybe I have a bad piece?

Thanks,
Herman

Hi Herman,

All the photos I have seen of the RSP-1572 show a blue ring of light around the volume knob. See here:

http://www.rotel.com/UK/products/Pro...ils.htm?Id=501

Kind regards,

Steve
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page