Rotel RSP-1572 Up and Running - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 196 Old 11-10-2011, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I replaced my 2003 B&K Ref 30 prepro with the new Rotel. I spent the last few days rewireing my cabinet eliminating some older pieces and adding HDMI to replace all the component video needed with B&K. Got rid of many cables last week in preparation for arrival of Rotel. Last night I hooked up the Rotel, configured the inputs, and ran my SPL meter to set up my 7.1 system. All the settings worked great, sounded great, from Blu Ray Lossless codecs to Phono stereo analog. My B&K really did a fine job for awhile but not like the Rotel. I listened to several sources and loved it. I have not yet set up the Bluetooth dongle for playing my iPhone music and a few other small tweeks to clean up small details. Anyway, I think Rotel has hit a home run with the new prepro, at least for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 196 Old 11-10-2011, 04:16 PM

Liked: 10
Hi! I look forward to reading more of your experiences as you get more aquatinted with the 1572. And I'll post my thoughts as soon as I get my 1572 up and running!
post #3 of 196 Old 11-11-2011, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Nelson. Later today I plan to sync my iPhone to Rotel bluetooth to see how and if that works. Manual says that some limited functions will control thru the remote control or you can use the iPhone itself. Will let you know. So far so good.
post #4 of 196 Old 11-15-2011, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
What Blu-ray player? Any handshake issues? Do you have a cable box hooked into it; if so what provider? Sounds like the unit I've been waiting for!!
post #5 of 196 Old 11-15-2011, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

No handshake issues. I have two Samsung blu ray players feeding thru HDMI. An early model that plays both blu ray and earlier HD DVD. Latest model is Samsung BD-D6700. My cable provider is Time Warner and it feeds HDMI through a Motorola DVR to Rotel no problem. Also, the Samsung 6700 also plays my DVD-A audio discs as well as SACD audio thru HDMI and the Rotel processes thru my 7.1 system. Also, I pluged an iPhone cord into the USB port and played my iPhone music. Also played my iPhone wirelessly using the provided Rotel bluetooth dongle. So far, all is good.
post #6 of 196 Old 11-17-2011, 11:30 AM

Sackrat -- Can you confirm SACD audio is playing through HDMI? Your comment above says this is occurring, but the manual says SACD must be played through the analog inputs (but DVD-A can be played via HDMI). Thanks.
post #7 of 196 Old 11-17-2011, 01:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifialan View Post

Sackrat -- Can you confirm SACD audio is playing through HDMI? Your comment above says this is occurring, but the manual says SACD must be played through the analog inputs (but DVD-A can be played via HDMI). Thanks.

It cannot play DSD via HDMI but, if your player can convert DSD to PCM (most can), the RSP-1572 will play it. However, my sample of the Rotel seems to be capable of handling 88.2kHz PCM signals in multichannel but needs to downmix 176.4kHz PCM multichannel to stereo. Rotel says they are looking into the matter.

I have not tried any 176.4kHz or 196kHz PCM multichannel original recordings yet.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 196 Old 11-18-2011, 09:33 AM

Thanks. My Oppo and PS3 do convert to PCM, so that will work for me. Still somewhat a shame that the player won't play it directly. Do you like the product? Does it deliver at the same level of quality we have come to expect from Rotel? I ultimately transitioned from Rotel to an Onkyo Integra product because of Rotel's lack of features. But with HDMI 1.4, I am considering a return to Rotel.
post #9 of 196 Old 11-18-2011, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

hifialan = you are correct concerning the manual and playing SACD thru analog multi inputs. In my haste to get the Rotel 1572 up and running I had missed that it was playing SACD thru my default DTS NEO 6. So the reality concerning SACD so far thru HDMI is no, but yes to DVD-A audio discs thru HDMI. I must admit the DTS NEO 6 playing SACD sounded quite good playing 2 chanel stereo thru all seven speakers but not what the disc was intended for. Oh well, I have more DVD-A discs so am content.
post #10 of 196 Old 12-24-2011, 10:29 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The Rotel owners thread has comments on the RSP 1572.
post #11 of 196 Old 12-24-2011, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks. My Oppo and PS3 do convert to PCM, so that will work for me. Still somewhat a shame that the player won't play it directly.

?????

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 196 Old 12-24-2011, 01:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

However, my sample of the Rotel seems to be capable of handling 88.2kHz PCM signals in multichannel but needs to downmix 176.4kHz PCM multichannel to stereo. Rotel says they are looking into the matter.

Rotel sent me a patch to fix this problem on 12/7/11 and say that it is incorporated into all currently shipping products.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #13 of 196 Old 12-25-2011, 01:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Kal can you please clarify & confirm whether this pre amp does the following:

A) Does it accept DSD via HDMI for SACD? If so, does it do it for both 2 ch and 5 CH SACD recordings? If not, how can one listen to SACD with this pre amp?
B) Whow does the FW you just recently received handle the 192 & 196 KHz recordings.

I was at my local dealer and played a DD THD demo disk that has a 5.1 DDTHD 192 Khz recording....the Panasonic BD player was bitstreaming via HDMI to the Rotel 1572 and when I cheked the display on the Rotel it was reading 192 Khz, I purposely played this track to see how the Rotel would handle the signal, and it seems like it handle it correctly, in fact it played it in 2 ch DDTHD 192 Khz and in 5 Ch DDTHD 192 Khz?????

I really want to buy this unit to match it up to my Parasound Halo A51. I am however, hesitant, because this unit seems to be falling short on some areas that a $2000.00 pre/pro should be able to deliver.

Please advise

Thanks

Paul
post #14 of 196 Old 12-26-2011, 01:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post

A) Does it accept DSD via HDMI for SACD?
If so, does it do it for both 2 ch and 5 CH SACD recordings? If not, how can one listen to SACD with this pre amp?

It does not accept DSD. Most players will automatically convert to mch PCM for transmission to such a preamp.

Quote:

B) Whow does the FW you just recently received handle the 192 & 196 KHz recordings.

Yes.

Quote:

I was at my local dealer and played a DD THD demo disk that has a 5.1 DDTHD 192 Khz recording....the Panasonic BD player was bitstreaming via HDMI to the Rotel 1572 and when I cheked the display on the Rotel it was reading 192 Khz, I purposely played this track to see how the Rotel would handle the signal, and it seems like it handle it correctly, in fact it played it in 2 ch DDTHD 192 Khz and in 5 Ch DDTHD 192 Khz?????

If you read what I said, you should notice that I was referring to PCM, not bitstream. Dolby HD and dts MA are just fine.

Quote:

I really want to buy this unit to match it up to my Parasound Halo A51. I am however, hesitant, because this unit seems to be falling short on some areas that a $2000.00 pre/pro should be able to deliver.

I don't see that.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #15 of 196 Old 12-27-2011, 04:22 AM

Quote:

?????

Woops. I meant to say it is a shame the Rotel (not the "player") wont play DSD from my Oppo or PS3 directly. But, they do both convert DSD to pcm.
post #16 of 196 Old 12-27-2011, 07:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Woops. I meant to say it is a shame the Rotel (not the "player") wont play DSD from my Oppo or PS3 directly. But, they do both convert DSD to pcm.

Some of the best prepros (e.g., Meridian, Classe) will not accept DSD directly.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #17 of 196 Old 12-27-2011, 07:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

It cannot play DSD via HDMI but, if your player can convert DSD to PCM (most can), the RSP-1572 will play it. However, my sample of the Rotel seems to be capable of handling 88.2kHz PCM signals in multichannel but needs to downmix 176.4kHz PCM multichannel to stereo. Rotel says they are looking into the matter.

I have not tried any 176.4kHz or 196kHz PCM multichannel original recordings yet.

Hi Kal just to be clear here.... When you say, "my sample of the Rotel seems to be capable of handling 88.2kHz PCM signals in multichannel but needs to downmix 176.4kHz PCM multichannel to stereo.". What connections are you referring to, the hdmi or 7.1 analogue?

Thanks

Paul
post #18 of 196 Old 12-27-2011, 07:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post

Hi Kal just to be clear here.... When you say, "my sample of the Rotel seems to be capable of handling 88.2kHz PCM signals in multichannel but needs to downmix 176.4kHz PCM multichannel to stereo.". What connections are you referring to, the hdmi or 7.1 analogue?

Thanks

Paul

HDMI, of course. The original bit-rates are irrelevant, technically, once they are converted to analog.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #19 of 196 Old 12-28-2011, 04:56 AM

Kal, would you mind updating us on your listening experience withd the Rotel? Thanks.
post #20 of 196 Old 12-28-2011, 06:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

See the March issue.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #21 of 196 Old 12-29-2011, 07:20 AM

As a 10 year stereophile subscriber, i will be happy to wait.
post #22 of 196 Old 12-29-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:

See the March issue.

Based on my 4 hours experience with this unit, the smiley face and your defense of it's perceived short comings, I'm going to guess this will be a very positive review. From what my limited use I have a very strong suspicion I am going to love this thing. The EQ, again with limited use, is awesome.
post #23 of 196 Old 12-30-2011, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It ain't perfect but what is? It is quite distinguishable from the competition in a number of ways.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #24 of 196 Old 01-01-2012, 07:19 AM

I'm sure it isn't perfect. I've only just now begun to explore it. I don't have a lot of older audiophile equipment, like an SACD player. Everything I do have, except for a couple of game modules which I choose not to keep connected anyway, uses HDMI. I bought the Rotel because I wanted something that would sound musical so i could listen to music in the same room as I watch TV and on those grounds I am quite, quite satisfied. The EQ takes care of what ever issues I had with pronounced treble and lacking bass, the USB input is awesome. My Oppo will handle all the video processing so as long as the lip synch and delays work out well, I'm a happy camper.

Except for the almost rude decision to make updates unavailable to Mac users. What's up with that? There are tens of millions of mac users in the US, people who are willing to pay a little bit more for a product that performs well and looks great. Isn't this Rotel's demographic?
post #25 of 196 Old 01-04-2012, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

[quote=stephentrask

Except for the almost rude decision to make updates unavailable to Mac users. What's up with that? There are tens of millions of mac users in the US, people who are willing to pay a little bit more for a product that performs well and looks great. Isn't this Rotel's demographic?[/QUOTE]

You make a good point. I am slowly changing over to Apple computer. Admittedly, I am not the most competent PC user. I got two of the three current Rotel updates to work, front USB and MAIN. What a pain to go through with all the BS to load. Plus Rotel provides you with an updateing cable with ethernet on one end and old style VGA on the other. No recent laptop has VGA any more so you buy an adaptor to go into USB. Where is the USB or ethernet to ethernet connect?? I will get better doing updates now that I have done one, I hope. Maybe I am missing something but they really live in a timewarp on updates. The good news is it is a fine prepro. I will go back and try the final update to VIDEO next week.
post #26 of 196 Old 01-08-2012, 07:07 AM

I wrote to the folks at Rotel and asked about whether they would be making updates installable from a Mac. I was told it is something they are beginning to discuss but there are currently no plans. what planet are they on? I almost want to return the unit over this issue. If I have to go buy a PC I may as well just buy a more expensive pre/pro that doesn't require an otherwise useless to me computer. Other than that, I love it so far. Haven't really dug in.
post #27 of 196 Old 01-08-2012, 07:23 AM

Can anybody confirm that the first 2 seconds of audio don't get clipped when playing through hdmi? This is a deal breaker for me.

Thanks
post #28 of 196 Old 01-08-2012, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter

[quote=paradise_newf;21459512]Can anybody confirm that the first 2 seconds of audio don't get clipped when playing through hdmi? This is a deal breaker for me.

I have NOT had this happen to me since day one two months ago with the RSP-1572. Last night I played several audio CD's with zero issues from my blu ray player thru HDMI. This was both before I did firmware updates and after the current three updates. So I, for one, am a happy guy. Kal Rubenson did not mention any HDMI issues that I am aware of in his posts above.
post #29 of 196 Old 01-08-2012, 06:11 PM

I don't believe michael fremer of home theater magazine mentioned the clipping in his review of the 1570 processor. The 1570 and 1069 both exhibited the same problem with the digital signal lock via hdmi.
So I'm hoping that this model finally has it rectified.
post #30 of 196 Old 01-11-2012, 08:07 AM

I got my 1572 about a week before Sackrat got his. As I mentioned in the Rotel owners thread, my unit clips the first 1 to 2 seconds of each song. My work around now is to use the coaxial connection. Audio wise, I don't hear a difference. However with anything going to the Rotel via HDMI, the audio clips, DVD's that start with music, like the TV series MASH. On a movie with a layer change on a standard def DVD, the audio clips as the new layer starts. However, with a movie on blu ray, I haven't experienced the issue. But I have experienced the clipping with the Star Trek TOS blu rays as an episode starts, the first second of audio is clipped.

I am working with the Rotel dealer I bought from and expect they will get a fix from Rotel soon.

I was hoping that Mr. Rubinson may have mentioned any such occurrence with his unit. Perhaps he will have more to say in his review.

I've been emailing Sackrat and he's got a good unit. Can't figure why I am having an issue he isn't. The dealer I bought from confirmed the problem, their demo unit also clips.

If you are hesitating to buy, don't. I am enjoying the sound quality and ease of use. And I'm sure Rotel will have some kind of fix.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page