Today's Woot Deal - Need help with decision - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-15-2011, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I am looking for any feedback about today's Woot.com deal. They have the Pioneer VSX-1021-K for $289.99. This is a one day deal. I was going to purchase a Yamaha RX-A710BL for ~$600 this weekend.

Should I go with the Pioneer and invest more money into speakers or should I stick with the Yamaha? What should I consider in making this decision?

Existing Setup
- Does not exist, but I am working on a 2.1 setup for now and may go full surround later. Considering Paradigm Monitor Mini, Paradigm Studio 10 or B&W 685 for mains but haven't really done enough research yet.

Usage
- 60/40 Movies/Music

History
- I am a complete noob to the AV world. Originally I was going to get a soundbar for movies and music. Then somehow I've gone down the slippery slope of "If I just spend a little more I could get...".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-15-2011, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 478
Honestly I think the A710 is a waste of money for $600. it is very similar to the Yamaha RX-V671 which was on sale for $350 last week.

What's your total budget for a system and how big is the room?

$294 is a very good price for the Pioneer 1021. It may be all you need.

Afro GT
post #3 of 10 Old 11-15-2011, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member

When I was starting on building my first system, I wanted audio nirvana on shoestring budget. I shopped slightly used stuff or blems or openbox. If you have patience there are deals out there. Audiophiles are constantly upgrading, it's a disease.

IMHO, you should spent majority of your budget on speakers and subwoofer when starting out. The speakers will make or break your system, while most any capable amp/avr will make them sing.
post #4 of 10 Old 11-15-2011, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

My budget? I guess it should be around $1500.

The room size is roughly 20'x10' with 10' ceiling.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-15-2011, 12:56 PM

Liked: 153
I own that receiver, and it is a steal at that price. It does not compare with my previous AVR, a Denon 3808 which died...but they are in two very different price classes.

You will be happy with the Pioneer.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-15-2011, 01:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coejouch View Post

My budget? I guess it should be around $1500.

The room size is roughly 20'x10' with 10' ceiling.

One thing we learn quickly here is the sky is the limit in regards to money spent on speakers and electronics. I'm sure a search will help you decide what is a good starting point for you. There are literally hundreds of posts "my budget is $XXXX, what do I want?". If I could tell you to buy XYZ avr and ABC speakers and that you'd live happily ever after, I would do that, but I can't.

There are just too many choices and too many differing tastes to listeners. Is the Pioneer on Woot a good buy, yes. I bought the Yamaha rx-a800 a month ago for the same price as that Pioneer. It's last years model with no networking, deal killer for some, but it's perfect for me. I needed pre-outs for an external amp and the rx-a710 doesn't have them. I like Yamaha AVR's and have always owned at least one since 1977(stereo receiver). They seem almost indestructable to me, but most avr's made today are well built across the board.

You need to decide what you need, what you like, what sounds good to you. Go to Best Buy and listen to some speakers just to hear the differences and find what you like.

You found this forum and there's a topic for almost every new AVR and speaker available. Read to your hearts content, but remember most people write to complain or have an issue they need resolved. The content owners are enjoying their stuff and have less time and fewer reasons to contribute. So if it appears most posts are negative to some degree it's just the nature of the beast.

Home theater is a very slippery slope. You can spend as much as you like or more than you like. Good luck!
post #7 of 10 Old 11-15-2011, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Originally I was looking at the Marantz NR1402 because of its size. I felt that for the price I was basically paying just for the small form factor and losing out on other features (e.g. watts, dual zone ethernet). I've heard good things about Yamaha as a brand and felt like the A710 was within my budget.

I've never posted here before because I do feel like there is plenty of really good information already in this forum. When I saw today's Woot, the Pioneer 1021 seemed similar in specs. I didn't want to miss out on a deal that was basically half of what I was going to spend this weekend. I'm glad I posted and I appreciate the quick responses. I will probably take advantage of the Woot deal and spend more on the speakers.
post #8 of 10 Old 11-15-2011, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Ahhhh....Too Late!

Really appreciate the feedback and thanks again
post #9 of 10 Old 11-15-2011, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coejouch View Post

Ahhhh....Too Late!

Really appreciate the feedback and thanks again

LOL snooze and lose! Newegg, Electronics-expo, Tigerdirect, Amazon, are all vying for your money. Only 10 days to black Friday too.

I haven't shopped subwoofers in 8 years. SVS and HSU were among the leaders of quality and affordable subs. I have one of each and they are still sounding great. An excellent sub to start will outlast many speaker upgrades over the years.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-15-2011, 03:51 PM - Thread Starter

For subs, I pretty much decided on the HSU VTF-1 or VTF-2 MK 4. I'm not sure that I really need or want a large sub.

For now, I'm going to concentrate on making a descent speaker purchase. Probably right about black Friday and will hopefully find another deal around then.

Any good resources for a beginner on why room size should affect my purchases?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page