Official Integra DTR-80.3 DTR-70.3 Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 118 Old 04-01-2012, 02:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Anyone here using their DTR-80. with B&W 804Di or any other 800 series Speakers? Are you satisfied with the quality of the internal amplifiers in the DTR-80 (.1/.2/.3) or do you wish you had external amplifiers?

Chucka
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 118 Old 04-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I was playing around with the picture settings today and found something interesting. When setting the picture mode to "through" the only processing is supposed to be upscaling to 1080p for that particular input. At least for me the "through" setting also changes the color temp to a warmer setting. I paused a screen via my directv that had white wording and changed the pic mode from direct to "through" and every time i changed to "through" the whites had a noticeably warmer tone to them than via direct mode. If i then change the mode to custom, 1080p and color temp normal then everything looks the way it should again. So it appears the that the "through" setting is also setting a warmer color temp along with upscaling. Does anybody else see this behavior?
post #93 of 118 Old 04-03-2012, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post

I was playing around with the picture settings today and found something interesting. When setting the picture mode to "through" the only processing is supposed to be upscaling to 1080p for that particular input. At least for me the "through" setting also changes the color temp to a warmer setting. I paused a screen via my directv that had white wording and changed the pic mode from direct to "through" and every time i changed to "through" the whites had a noticeably warmer tone to them than via direct mode. If i then change the mode to custom, 1080p and color temp normal then everything looks the way it should again. So it appears the that the "through" setting is also setting a warmer color temp along with upscaling. Does anybody else see this behavior?

I was playing around some more and here is what i have found. Can anybody else confirm or deny this behavior im seeing?

Custom with the resolution set to 1080p, custom with the resolution set to through and direct look identical to the eye so its only the through setting without using custom that gives white a warmer tone.
post #94 of 118 Old 04-03-2012, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chucka View Post

Anyone here using their DTR-80. with B&W 804Di or any other 800 series Speakers? Are you satisfied with the quality of the internal amplifiers in the DTR-80 (.1/.2/.3) or do you wish you had external amplifiers?

Chucka

Chucka,

I am more than happy with the internal amplification of the DTR 80.3. I did not want to go the separates route due to budget restrictions, and frankly I do not have a concert hall for a living room. I have Klipsch speakers and I definitely heard a noticeable difference in sound. I had a Marantz SR7500 before which had a calibration mic, and I thought that unit sounded really good. The most noticeable difference for me was the Audyssey calibration. The listening area is night and day compared to the Marantz. The Integra has more than enough juice to power what you have, and if you are not in a large room you wouldn't need to go to separates.

Hope this helps.

Josh D.
post #95 of 118 Old 04-03-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:

I was playing around some more and here is what i have found. Can anybody else confirm or deny this behavior im seeing?

Custom with the resolution set to 1080p, custom with the resolution set to through and direct look identical to the eye so its only the through setting without using custom that gives white a warmer tone.

I'll see what I can come with when I get home today.
post #96 of 118 Old 04-03-2012, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Quote:

To avoid cluttering up multiple threads if you wish to follow this conversation please see this post and follow the dhc 80.3 thread. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post21862106
post #97 of 118 Old 04-03-2012, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdolotina View Post

Chucka,

I am more than happy with the internal amplification of the DTR 80.3. I did not want to go the separates route due to budget restrictions, and frankly I do not have a concert hall for a living room. I have Klipsch speakers and I definitely heard a noticeable difference in sound. I had a Marantz SR7500 before which had a calibration mic, and I thought that unit sounded really good. The most noticeable difference for me was the Audyssey calibration. The listening area is night and day compared to the Marantz. The Integra has more than enough juice to power what you have, and if you are not in a large room you wouldn't need to go to separates.

Hope this helps.

Josh D.

Thanks for your reply. My wife would prefer if I go with a receiver as opposed to separates, which I now have in another room in my house. As this is for a new condo installation (we coming from a house and this being a shared room), she wants it as clean and as simple as possible. But I also want the best quality sound as possible with the alternative to the DTR-80.3 being a DHC-80.3 with Anthem A5 or Wyred 4 Sound Mini MC7 Ch. Condo means running the system at not too high levels.

Chucka
post #98 of 118 Old 04-04-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 55
For anyone interested, I have my Integra DTR-70.3 listed under the AVS Classified section.
post #99 of 118 Old 04-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCoolJesus View Post

For anyone interested, I have my Integra DTR-70.3 listed under the AVS Classified section.

Do you mind if i ask why you are selling?
post #100 of 118 Old 04-04-2012, 06:34 PM

Quote:

Thanks for your reply. My wife would prefer if I go with a receiver as opposed to separates, which I now have in another room in my house. As this is for a new condo installation (we coming from a house and this being a shared room), she wants it as clean and as simple as possible. But I also want the best quality sound as possible with the alternative to the DTR-80.3 being a DHC-80.3 with Anthem A5 or Wyred 4 Sound Mini MC7 Ch. Condo means running the system at not too high levels.

Chucka

Sounds like your best bet is an AVR. I also live in a condo myself, so I understand where you are coming from. Save the cash and get the DTR 80.3 you will not be disappointed.
post #101 of 118 Old 04-04-2012, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 55
Through a series of trade-ins with my A/V store I was able to acquire a Paradigm Sub 25 for $400 out of pocket by purchasing an Anthem MRX700 (the receiver I have always wanted) and selling my Integra DTR-70.3

It is an absolute awesome receiver.....the cards ultimately ended up falling a different way for me. I hope for the price I am offering it someone will swoop in and take it off my hands soon.
post #102 of 118 Old 05-08-2012, 05:46 AM

Hi JShin, settings confirmed as per recommendations. I found the culprit. BD Output Mode was set to Mix instead of Direct on BD player. I now have TrueHD light .
post #103 of 118 Old 05-11-2012, 04:05 AM

I apologize if this has been asked and answered. I'm an avid PC gamer and setting up a home theater. Can the DTR-80.3 be set up so that the PC sound (say from PCM PC sound source or optical PC sound source) is processed and sent to the speakers, but the HDMI signal is passed through the receiver without processing so there is no input lag with PC games? If so, then the receiver would be providing the sound while acting as a simple HDMI source switch for my gaming projector (Optoma GT750e). I know from the user manual I can set the DTR-80.3 to pass the HDMI signal through the receiver while the receiver is in standby so I can headphones PC game, but can I PC game with speakers on without input lag? I could wire the system where the PC HDMI plugs direct to the projector and the sound cabling plugs into the receiver and I know that will work as I want, but it would mean running more cabling and limiting the number of projector gaming sources (without more HDMI switching hardware) to two sources . You know us gamers, input lag is everything!
post #104 of 118 Old 05-20-2012, 12:43 AM

Quote:

Chucka

I've got a DTR 70.1 and it pushes everything better than I ever expected. And very clean as well. I'm pushing 2 Revel M10 (front L/R), 2 Revel M8 (rear L/R), 1 Revel C10 (center), 1 Revel B120 sub (rear) and 1 Rel sub (front). I use for home theater and also music. Both sound very precise and clean.
post #105 of 118 Old 05-21-2012, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Ok, I've looked at the product pages, and the pictures, and aside from different colored speaker posts, I don't see much of a difference visually.

Also from the product pages it appears the 70.3 has support for Deep Color, x.v.Color, Lipsync, CEC Support, and 1080p Upscaling, but the 80.3 does not (which doesn't seem to make sense).

Shielded Toroidal Transformer (Checked)
Independent Power Supply 4
192K / 32-Bit Audio DAC Burr-Brown (x6)
Deep Color, x.v.Color, Lipsync, CEC Support -

Shielded Toroidal Transformer -
Independent Power Supply 2
192K / 24-Bit Audio DAC Burr-Brown (x6)
1080p Upscaling (HQV Vida)
Deep Color, x.v.Color, Lipsync, CEC Support (Checked)

So what's the story with the differences? Am I missing something obvious here?

Can anyone direct me to someone selling these at a good price?

Sean Hull

Denon 3808ci | PS3 80Gb | Harmony One | Toshiba XA2 | Samsung 61" PN60E6500EF | HTPC with HDMI

post #106 of 118 Old 05-22-2012, 08:42 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
^^^^

I wasn't aware that the 70.3 had a toroidal transformer. You sure that isn't a missprint?

Cheers,
SB
post #107 of 118 Old 05-22-2012, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotcheckBilly View Post

^^^^

I wasn't aware that the 70.3 had a toroidal transformer. You sure that isn't a missprint?

Cheers,
SB

It's unchecked for the shielded toroidal transformer, what the misprint is that it says it has two independent power supplies where in fact it has the same amount as the 80.3 has with 4. The only difference amp section wise between the two are the toroidal transformer and higher rated caps for the 80.3.
post #108 of 118 Old 08-10-2012, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 28
OK, so i have no analog video processing on an input, blurred with background scrolling error on another (Wii) input,
all HDMI work.

Did the VP just get toasted?
post #109 of 118 Old 11-10-2012, 09:50 AM

Liked: 30
Last night I was watching cable and all of a sudden the screen went green then black. I get no picture on any HDMI input, sound seems to be working ok.

I hope this model is not plagued with the HDMI failure issues other Onkyo and Integra models are having. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1339186/the-official-onkyo-rc270-nr708-nr808-nr1008-nr5008-integra-80-2-failure-thread

Has anyone else had a similar problem with their 80.3?

David Ferebee
post #110 of 118 Old 11-10-2012, 11:24 AM

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by discodol View Post

Last night I was watching cable and all of a sudden the screen went green then black. I get no picture on any HDMI input, sound seems to be working ok.

I called Integra and Sergio walked me through a soft reset, unplug the power cord for over 1 minute, and then voila, magic, the HDMI inputs started working again!!!!!

Thanks to Sergio at Integra Customer Support for making my day!!!

David Ferebee
post #111 of 118 Old 12-19-2012, 05:32 AM

Does the 80.3 really support deep color ? Why i ask is because i have the HDMI set to Through and the input shows 36bits but output only 30 ?

Any idea ?
post #112 of 118 Old 02-08-2013, 02:29 PM

Liked: 12
Been a while since anyone responded to this tread.
I am looking at getting either a DHC or DTR 80.3. The product literature says that the DTR does NOT do Deep Color, x.v. color, Lipsync, or CEC Support. The DHC unit supports all of these.
Also the 4k upscaling chip is different; DHC uses an HQV Vida but the DTR used the Marvell Kyoto G2h.

I am on the fence...my intended projector will do Deep Color but I was leaning to the DTR to same some money and space in my rack instead of doing separates. Now I am back to confused again.
post #113 of 118 Old 11-09-2013, 08:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I am hoping for a quick answer.

Wanting to pre-amp out the Bi-Amp Feature to a Anthem A5 so I can up the wattage to a pair of Bowers & Wilkins 800s. My question being...in Bi-Amp mode, does the 80.3 reassign the Highs to the Front Wide/Highs pre-outs?

Kinda stuck on this point as I have found no documentation stating such, and Integra CS can't get back to me until next Tuesday.rolleyes.gif

Thanks in advance for any attempt at a timely response, even if it's not what i want to hear. redface.gif

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #114 of 118 Old 11-10-2013, 01:01 AM

Bi-amp is enabled only with speakers that are directly connected therefore cannot work with pre-amp.

If you connect another amp to the Integra pre-amp (via RCA connectors) then the speakers will need to be directly connected to that second amp and not to the Integra.

If the second amp supports bi-amp then you will have what you need. I can't find info on the A5 showing that it supports bi-amp speaker connectivity.

Integra Manual:
http://63.148.251.135/redirect_service.cfm?type=own_manuals&file=SN29400811_DTR-80.3_70.3_En_web.pdf

Anthem A5 Manual:
http://www.anthemav.com/downloads/A2_A5_Manual.pdf

If you decide to connect the speakers to Integra bi-amp then it will occupy front & left and front & left high as per page 14 in the Integra manual.
post #115 of 118 Old 11-10-2013, 04:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMar View Post

Bi-amp is enabled only with speakers that are directly connected therefore cannot work with pre-amp.

If you connect another amp to the Integra pre-amp (via RCA connectors) then the speakers will need to be directly connected to that second amp and not to the Integra.

If the second amp supports bi-amp then you will have what you need. I can't find info on the A5 showing that it supports bi-amp speaker connectivity.

If you decide to connect the speakers to Integra bi-amp then it will occupy front & left and front & left high as per page 14 in the Integra manual.

Thank you for the reply. All of the above is obvious, but does not address my question.

I will restate it.

• I want to use the Pre-Amp outputs on the 80.3 to feed a Bi-Amped signal to 4 channels on the A5. I was hoping the "Front & Left High Pre-amp Outputs' on the 80.3 are reassigned to the "Highs Mode" when Bi-Amp function is selected.
  • However I could find no reference in the Integra 80.3 manual that the above is possible.
  • A call placed directly to Integra 24/7 CS obtained a "I think it does...but I'll have to ask Engineering. I'll get back to you by Monday or Tuesday." type of response

My suspicion is that the 80.3 does not have this function, owning to the fact that Integra has a specific Pre-Amp ( DHC 80.3 ) that carries that function.

I don't want to have to carry that sad tale back to my friend, but if I must, I want it to be accurately conveyed.

So.....can i still get a definitive answer?

To quote James T. Kirk;
"I'm laughing at the superior intellect"

http://www.invisiblestereo.com
post #116 of 118 Old 11-10-2013, 04:40 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1861 Post(s)
Liked: 1722
Cannot provide a definite answer either, but can say that on D&M units it is not possible as only the designated default signal is passed to each pre-out, rather the passive "bi-amp" assignment is only possible when using the on board amps. Likely the same with Integra as well.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #117 of 118 Old 11-17-2013, 07:27 AM

Hi All. Have had my DTR 80.3 for 1 month now replacing an Onkyo TX-SR875. My problem is I cannot for the life of me get it to play my mains with my subs (ie 2.1 PCM) . I called support and was told by a tech, obviously reading from the manual, thet it can't be done with this receiver. My previous Onkyo had no problem with it. Just to clarify I'm not talking Pure Audio. Thanks!
post #118 of 118 Old 04-25-2014, 01:29 AM

So I have been having problems with the HDMI board on my 80.3. Sometimes it won't pass sound through, so I have to unplug it and then plug it back in and it works for a while again. I talked to local store I bought everything from and they said Onkyo is aware of the problem and are replacing them no questions asked. The only problem is they told me they may replace it with the 60.5. Is this a fair deal? Seems like they should either give me another 80.3, or if they are all junk then atleast give me some options rather then just give me a lower but newer model. Anyone else have this happen?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Integra Dtr80 3 , Mitsubishi Hc7000 Lcd Digital Video Projector , Anthem Mrx700 , Onkyo Tx Nr5009
Gear in this thread - Nr5009 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page