OK, my unit is up and running.
1. Out of box, big and beautiful, not as pretty as the Onkyos with the door though. No switched power outlet so the 9v cell phone charger powering the 4 60mm 12v fans had to go on the switched outlets of my PSU with a 12v trigger. Onkyo/Integra product rule #1 is to never use one without a top cooling fan.
2. Onkyo/Integra veterans know the setup menus by heart, no surprises there, except the pretty 3D text, such a refresher from the 8bit monochrome menus on older units.
3. Harmony remote bit tricky,"Select" button bad to be manually added, had to set device to Onkyo TX-NR5009 settings to gain "Net/USB/xxxxxx" commands to allow control in the NET input, for which i created a separate "Radio" activity. One can see the reason, to avoid hacking when connected online.
4. Biamp Polk RT800 and matching everything 5.1 living room setup. Great stereo stage with digital music from V.Tuner high bit russian classic jazz station. The Dolby Stereo effect on 2 channels was just perfect, bands played all over the wide front stage.
5. Despicable Me (again living room 3 kids under 8) never sounded so good before in DTS-HD. Surround sound was filling, i could hardly make out surround speaker location and this w/o calibration.
BIG BIG plus is Onkyo finally discovered intelligent internet integration, gone are the convoluted menus.
I am very happy, DTR-80.3 was not justifiable for such a humble setup, IMHO one should go the balanced separates route instead at that price point.
The whole family just want to keep watching and esp. listening to this great receiver. Absolutely no regrets.
Originally Posted by fje00
I got the DTR-70.3 yesterday. Originally went with the Anthem MRX700, but I returned it, since it lacked a direct mode for the analog stereo input.
I am feeding the 70.3 stereo analog inputs with the Musical Fidelity M1 Clic. The 70.3 is feeding a pair of Paradigm Studio 100's.
Curious about the setting on the 70.3 under Audio Adjust, Direct, Analog. There is a setting for Subwoofer on/off. I am still waiting for my subwoofer to come in (Paradigm Sub 12), so I can not test this yet, but does this setting mean that I can have subwoofer on the stereo analog input in Direct mode? How can that be? Direct mode and bass management I thought were mutually exclusive? Isn't that the whole point of direct mode, i.e. no processing or EQ?
Well, Pure Direct would eliminate that, Direct still allows for sub with some bass management, this is the reason why some purists chose the Onkyos a while ago, at least for processors, esp the DSD direct SACD gang, some only to learn that in some units DSD was not a one step D/A process. Now Integra website showing 1 step DSD for the 70.3 and 80.3.