AVS Forum banner
30K views 119 replies 44 participants last post by  Harris Levinson 
#1 ·
Both released in September, apart from price, the

DTR-80.3 has:

1. Clear five-way versus Onkyo'ish black/red binding posts.

2. Shielded toroidal transformer with four independent power supplies,

as opposed to unshielded with two PSUs and 5-10W/channel less on the

70.3. Weight changes accordingly too.

DTR-80.3

DTR-70.3

Product pages:

http://www.integrahometheater.com/mo...m=DTR-80.3&p=i

http://www.integrahometheater.com/mo...m=DTR-70.3&p=i

Brochures:

http://63.148.251.135/redirect.cfm?t..._US_110902.pdf

http://63.148.251.135/redirect.cfm?t..._US_110902.pdf

See less See more
#2 ·
I vote with my wallet and got the 70.3 second hand today (already?) for the living room system and hope not to deal with the flaky HDMI board i had on the TX-NR906 it will be replacing. The separates system in the mancave still sports the stellar DHC-9.9 with balanced connectors and it will serve at least until the super crisp Mitsu HC7000 decides to die.

Denon is better, yeah sure, if you are tone-deaf

#3 ·
Came today, heavy piece, will post impressions after setup tonight.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmryan821 /forum/post/21248797

I'm sure I can't be the only one interested in your impressions.

U wish, but the floodgates have open, the elderly and dying are being dropped off at the big house for the holiday season, faster than we can discharge the healing, the result being 13 hour workdays, and no end in sight for a while

#6 ·
I got the DTR-70.3 yesterday. Originally went with the Anthem MRX700, but I returned it, since it lacked a direct mode for the analog stereo input.

I am feeding the 70.3 stereo analog inputs with the Musical Fidelity M1 Clic. The 70.3 is feeding a pair of Paradigm Studio 100's.

Curious about the setting on the 70.3 under Audio Adjust, Direct, Analog. There is a setting for Subwoofer on/off. I am still waiting for my subwoofer to come in (Paradigm Sub 12), so I can not test this yet, but does this setting mean that I can have subwoofer on the stereo analog input in Direct mode? How can that be? Direct mode and bass management I thought were mutually exclusive? Isn't that the whole point of direct mode, i.e. no processing or EQ?

#7 ·
OK, my unit is up and running.

1. Out of box, big and beautiful, not as pretty as the Onkyos with the door though. No switched power outlet so the 9v cell phone charger powering the 4 60mm 12v fans had to go on the switched outlets of my PSU with a 12v trigger. Onkyo/Integra product rule #1 is to never use one without a top cooling fan.

2. Onkyo/Integra veterans know the setup menus by heart, no surprises there, except the pretty 3D text, such a refresher from the 8bit monochrome menus on older units.

3. Harmony remote bit tricky,"Select" button bad to be manually added, had to set device to Onkyo TX-NR5009 settings to gain "Net/USB/xxxxxx" commands to allow control in the NET input, for which i created a separate "Radio" activity. One can see the reason, to avoid hacking when connected online.

4. Biamp Polk RT800 and matching everything 5.1 living room setup. Great stereo stage with digital music from V.Tuner high bit russian classic jazz station. The Dolby Stereo effect on 2 channels was just perfect, bands played all over the wide front stage.

5. Despicable Me (again living room 3 kids under 8) never sounded so good before in DTS-HD. Surround sound was filling, i could hardly make out surround speaker location and this w/o calibration.

BIG BIG plus is Onkyo finally discovered intelligent internet integration, gone are the convoluted menus.

I am very happy, DTR-80.3 was not justifiable for such a humble setup, IMHO one should go the balanced separates route instead at that price point.

The whole family just want to keep watching and esp. listening to this great receiver. Absolutely no regrets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fje00 /forum/post/21298362

I got the DTR-70.3 yesterday. Originally went with the Anthem MRX700, but I returned it, since it lacked a direct mode for the analog stereo input.

I am feeding the 70.3 stereo analog inputs with the Musical Fidelity M1 Clic. The 70.3 is feeding a pair of Paradigm Studio 100's.

Curious about the setting on the 70.3 under Audio Adjust, Direct, Analog. There is a setting for Subwoofer on/off. I am still waiting for my subwoofer to come in (Paradigm Sub 12), so I can not test this yet, but does this setting mean that I can have subwoofer on the stereo analog input in Direct mode? How can that be? Direct mode and bass management I thought were mutually exclusive? Isn't that the whole point of direct mode, i.e. no processing or EQ?

Well, Pure Direct would eliminate that, Direct still allows for sub with some bass management, this is the reason why some purists chose the Onkyos a while ago, at least for processors, esp the DSD direct SACD gang, some only to learn that in some units DSD was not a one step D/A process. Now Integra website showing 1 step DSD for the 70.3 and 80.3.

#8 ·
fje00 i just wanted to add that Paradigm and Onkyo/Integra are a great match. I have a DHC-9.9 mated to a Studio 100v2 and 7.1 matching everything with the Servo-15 sub. Some Class A/B monoblocks and classical and jazz never sounded better, via DSD of course from the humble Oppo. Have you seen the insane prices for the new Sig series?

#9 ·
How does the DTR-80.3 compare to Onkyo's NR5009?

I'm considering the purchase of one or the other, and was curious as to the differences between the two. The first things that strikes me is the flip-down face of the NR5009 for non-remote control settings, whereas the Integra appears to lack this feature as well as a 120VAC switched outlet on the back.. which would yield my Adcom ACE-515 power controller for my amplifiers useless.

Thanks for any information you could provide!

#11 ·
Well got everything set up today. Config is having the Oppo upscale to 1080p and the 70.3 upscale all other sources as it pass the 1080p thru without further processing. Working well on tests etc so far. Driving Dev Tech 7004s and Dev tech center with a set of Klipsch surrounds.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassWolf /forum/post/0

How does the DTR-80.3 compare to Onkyo's NR5009?

I'm considering the purchase of one or the other, and was curious as to the differences between the two. The first things that strikes me is the flip-down face of the NR5009 for non-remote control settings, whereas the Integra appears to lack this feature as well as a 120VAC switched outlet on the back.. which would yield my Adcom ACE-515 power controller for my amplifiers useless.

Thanks for any information you could provide!

Look at the power supplies and performance not features.

#13 ·
Greetings everyone, I am somewhat new posting here and hope someone can help me. I just got my Integra 70.3 Monday and set everything up. It truly sounds amazing with my MA Silver system and HSU Sub. I am having an issue noone can figure out. My blu ray (Panasonic BDT210), when advancing chapters or going to a specific chapter, has about a 3 second audio delay. The video is going, but no audio. I updated to the latest firmware, hard reset, unplugged all the HDMI, I ran through speaker setup, everything. This also happens when starting a Blu Ray. It alsmost seems like the sound codec is delayed. It was in DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD. I hope someone can help.

Also wondering if anyone has seen a lag with a PS3 or a grainy picture. I have the PS3 display output set to 1080p/24, but its output is 1080p/60, which I assume is the game. Should I set this to 720p or 1080i?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Integra 70.3

MA RX6, RXCenter, RXFX, RX1,

HSU VTF-15H

Sony VPL 15,

Panny BDT210.

#15 ·
Hi,

I got my 70.3 couple weeks ago. It seems like a great amp, but quite frankly I'm not too smitten by the sound;(. It just never seems to sound "big" so I keep turning it up untill it's too loud to listen to. Also what is with the volume, usually I have to have it at around 70-75 to get a decent volume? And I also get the audio delay when playing bluray on my ps3. Also sometimes I'd get a very loud pop sound which is quite annoying.

But perhaps I don't have it set up right. Can't seem to do the microphone set up as it always seems to show that I have rear sorrounds when I only have front, centre and sorround speakers. Even tho I set it that way in the settings, once I plug in the Mic to do the set up it tries to pick rear sorrounds again.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMar /forum/post/21534652

Hi samanuel, I assume you have a 5.1 setup. In this instance the default configuration is left, right, centre & 2 X surrounds at rear.

I got mine recently too. First few days I felt the top rear of the unit. Could fry an egg it was so hot!

I have the Onkyo 3009. It was running pretty hot. I bought a Niles® Audio FM-1

It is expensive but it does cool great. The unit runs around 27c after it settles down.

#21 ·
Yep - correct kikkenit2, surround is not rear but in the days of connecting up 5.1 the surround often were depicted in rear of room. In fact the speakers should be facing the sides of the listening area. If your couch is at back of room then they are rear. If you look at page 35 of manual you will see a 5.2 diagram. This is same as you however 2 subwoofers are connected. Manual found at Integra website or in box.

I actually have a question if anyone knows. How can speaker settings e.g. Crossover Audyssey for Zone 2 speakers? I have 2 Bose 901 (with active equaliser) speakers I use just for stereo audio & I have connected to zone 2 even though they are in same room as equipment.

#22 ·
Hi Folks. I am working with my local HT store on new gear. So far I have B&W CM9's, B&W CWM 7.3 Center and CCM 7.5 Rears...and dual Rythmik F12SE subs. I am now working on the power plant and have a few options....I would greatly appreciate some feedback...

I really don't want to spend more then $3500...I could go over some but that # is my goal. My primary interest is music but it is a HT so I will need to drive a center and rears, perhaps sides at a later time. I would like something over 200W to drive the CM9's if possible, recommended. I've looked at a number of options, here is what I have come up with so far...

DTR-70.3 standalone

DTR 70.3 plus Emotiva XPA-3 for LCR

DTR 70.3 plus Rotel RB-1582 200Wx2 for LR - right now my favorite option

or go with the dedicated PrePro...

DHC 80.3 plus Integra 70.1 9 Channel Amp or Emotiva or Rotel...

From a value point I am thinking I can get all the processing features of the DHC 80.3 in the DTR 70.3 (saves some $'s!) and I could simply pre-out the mains to drive my CM9's...leaving the remaining DTR amps to drive the center and surrounds. My HT guys sells Rotel and they do have a good rep...I have seen good reviews on the Emotiva as well, but they do seem to have some quality issues at times.

So what do ya'll think?

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrishet /forum/post/21543982

Hi Folks. I am working with my local HT store on new gear. So far I have B&W CM9's, B&W CWM 7.3 Center and CCM 7.5 Rears...and dual Rythmik F12SE subs. I am now working on the power plant and have a few options....I would greatly appreciate some feedback...

I really don't want to spend more then $3500...I could go over some but that # is my goal. My primary interest is music but it is a HT so I will need to drive a center and rears, perhaps sides at a later time. I would like something over 200W to drive the CM9's if possible, recommended. I've looked at a number of options, here is what I have come up with so far...

DTR-70.3 standalone

DTR 70.3 plus Emotiva XPA-3 for LCR

DTR 70.3 plus Rotel RB-1582 200Wx2 for LR - right now my favorite option

or go with the dedicated PrePro...

DHC 80.3 plus Integra 70.1 9 Channel Amp or Emotiva or Rotel...

From a value point I am thinking I can get all the processing features of the DHC 80.3 in the DTR 70.3 (saves some $'s!) and I could simply pre-out the mains to drive my CM9's...leaving the remaining DTR amps to drive the center and surrounds. My HT guys sells Rotel and they do have a good rep...I have seen good reviews on the Emotiva as well, but they do seem to have some quality issues at times.

So what do ya'll think?

Don't! I would say either stay with the receiver amplification or go separates entirely.

Furthermore you want seamless soundstage timbre matching, so amps have to be the same brand.

Get an Emotiva multichannel, or get 2, that way you will have 1o channels so you could biamp your fronts.

My advice is save your money and enjoy the receiver, then when the time comes get the amps, then sell the receiver, get XLRs and a processor.

You should ;ater explore high definition audio formats DTS-HD with MLP sound tracks are more and more common, but SACDs are also here to stay.

Don't go hybrid, don't mix amps, or amps and receivers, it is a dead end and you will eventually end up doing it the right way.

Very nice choice of speakers BTW.

#24 ·
70.3 owner here and I've noticed what I would refer to as the ominous 'random clicks'. My setup is a PS3 (Fat) going to the the 70.3 going to an Epson 5010. The last two blu-rays I've watched my wife and I have both heard clicks at random points during the movie. No audio dropout occurred during the clicks and the audio did not change formats - this was during the middle of the movie. I was running the receiver at about a volume setting of 70. I'm wondering if this was caused by heat since I noticed the unit was rather hot.

After I heard the last click I rewound the movie to slightly before the click happened and let it play to reproduce - nothing. I was not able to reproduce it and that's got me worried as far as finding the cause and getting it fixed.

HAS this been reported before (even with previous models)? Was there a resolution?

What do you guys think, do I have a defective unit or is this just something that happens during break-in?

Thanks for any help in advance - I'm rather concerned about this.

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpaule /forum/post/21544272

Don't! I would say either stay with the receiver amplification or go separates entirely.

Very nice choice of speakers BTW.

Thx for the tip...makes a lot of sense. I'll most likely go with the 80.3 pre and a dedicated multi-channel amp...hey its only money!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.