3Likes

post #361 of 547 Old 06-13-2013, 06:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

Those Crowns are okay if you can hide them in a closet, they are kind of ugly, and those fans are loud! Also maybe someone can comment on the level of voltage needed for unity gain, it looks like the XLS amps need 1.4 volts whereas most avrs with pre- outs only do 1 volt max, no wonder your fans don't come on!

I have an Onkyo TX-NR809. Here are the specs for the preouts:

Input Sensitivity and Impedance (Unbalance)
200 mV/47 kΩ (LINE)
2.5 mV/47 kΩ (PHONO MM)
Rated RCA Output Level and Impedance
200 mV/470 Ω (PRE OUT)
Maximum RCA Output Level and Impedance
4.6 V/470 Ω (PRE OUT)

No mention of 1V output MAX for preouts or is it hidden somewhere else. I am interested in the Crown XLS 1500 based on Nethawk's experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 547 Old 06-13-2013, 07:03 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Those are the ones used by Abbey Road and Air Lyndhurst studios!!

Please give us a link, I know Abbey Road uses B&W 800 Diamonds with CLASSE CA-M600 amps. I didn't know they used SSP-800
post #363 of 547 Old 06-13-2013, 07:07 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

I had a great experience with Nuforce, I don't know if their amps are any good but they seem to have good customer service!
post #364 of 547 Old 06-13-2013, 08:16 AM

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanc View Post

200 mV/47 kΩ (LINE)
2.5 mV/47 kΩ (PHONO MM)
200 mV/470 Ω (PRE OUT)
4.6 V/470 Ω (PRE OUT)

No mention of 1V output MAX for preouts or is it hidden somewhere else. I am interested in the Crown XLS 1500 based on Nethawk's experience.

Well then it looks like you would have no issues. I based my comments on receivers and pre out voltage on sources like this review but I see now its getting dated and maybe less of a concern:

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/amplifiers/emotiva-xpa-2/xpa-2-measurements
post #365 of 547 Old 06-13-2013, 08:30 AM

Liked: 12
@runnin', thanks for your help and input.
post #366 of 547 Old 06-13-2013, 09:41 AM
wse
AVS Special Member

post #367 of 547 Old 06-13-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanc View Post

200 mV/47 kΩ (LINE)
2.5 mV/47 kΩ (PHONO MM)
200 mV/470 Ω (PRE OUT)
4.6 V/470 Ω (PRE OUT)

I hope your TX-NR809 does not have the issues I had several years ago with a new TX-NR805. I read that last year Onkyo moved the plant to a different country and they had more Q.C. issues with their AVR's. Mine had resistors go out on the front end display after three weeks and sent it back for warranty work.. I had to pay for shipping. Then several months later the HDMI board fried and would not switch from Bluray to anything.I had to send it back again and pay for freight. Then after another 6 months the it did it again the HDMI board went out....sigh. My warranty was almost up and I sent in again and I had to pay freight. It lasted about 4 more months and it just stopped working .period. I sold it for parts.shame as when it did work it was Awsome but it Always ran SOO Hot ( I have 8" of venting space above it) I intalled a fan behind it after the first HDMI board went out. I have Klipsch speakers that don't need a lot of power and at 62 I don't over power them or abuse my equipment. I was then going to replace it with the UMC-1 and a XPA-5 amp but after SOO many UMC1 owners were having switching problems I passed. I had had enough problems with switching problems with the Onkyo. Shame I Really liked the features and the price of the UMC-1. I also went thru hell with Onkyo Customer Service as they kept it for so many weeks each time it went in for repair I asked for extra weeks of warranty and they said No. Never again will I purchase a amp, receiver etc online. I purchased my Yamaha HD AVR local and purchased Best Buys two year Service policy, if it messed up they sent it in to be repaired, they had to deal with untrained C.S. and if it could NOT be fixed without costing more then it was worth,like a Plasma TV I got from them, they gave me full store credit to pick out a different one and drive home with it. I was going to use the 805 as a pre/pro and purchase a amp like you are doing but my small den and efficent speakers worked so good I used the whimy AVR amps. So far after almost 4 years my Yamaha AVR is working perfec, knock on wood as none of them last forever. My friend has two Crown amps and they have been perfect for several years. He plays his music SOO loud I never hear the fans. Good luck with what ever you go with.

Klipsch Cornwall I,C7,RS3-II
Klipsch Heresy II, KSB 1.1
Klipsch Sub 12" X3 Hafler P3000,P1000, DH330
Yamaha RX-V1900, T-1000,A-1000 Class A, GE-20 GEQ CDC-697
ReVox A-77 Mk IV Dolby, Nakamichi BX-100
post #368 of 547 Old 06-13-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:

hmmmm interesting, there is no mention of Pioneer LX, Classe amp, Alesis ADAT, B&W 800 and Tascam DAT recorders eek.gif

Most likely those brands stopped paying to have their brands on display.

Looks like they have upgraded from those brands you mentioned. IF they even used them.
post #369 of 547 Old 06-13-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 360
Maybe, it's just weird they list, for example, Sony DAT machines, when I know for a fact that the"newest" Sony DAT machines are much older than Tascam DAT machines. Oh well, things must've changed from then to now.

Regardless, I know for sure that Air Lyndhurst still do the sound design for Pioneer SC series (just the sound processor side).

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #370 of 547 Old 06-13-2013, 01:59 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Wel I finally spoke with some one there, who suggested to try one more week, and if they still smell then to send them back that all the other are the same!!!!!  

I don't think that it's going to change any thing but I will give them five more days and we will see? 

If they still smell after a week then forget EMOTIVA !  I don't think I will ever buy anything from them again after this experience, poor products, poor customer service....!  

I just received my Oppo BDP-105 in Silver yesterday, and guess what it doesn't smell anything!

None of my electronics ever had any smell at all, Classé, Integra Research, BAT, Onkyo, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Harman, Sony, TEAC, Panasonic, Parasound, JLAudio, you name it none of them ever smelled anything when cold and even when they get hot. These EMOTIVA smell so bad any one walking into that room comments about the bad smell! 

Never have I had such a bad experience!

post #371 of 547 Old 06-13-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wse View Post

Wel I finally spoke with some one there, who suggested to try one more week, and if they still smell then to send them back that all the other are the same!!!!!  

I don't think that it's going to change any thing but I will give them five more days and we will see? 

If they still smell after a week then forget EMOTIVA !  I don't think I will ever buy anything from them again after this experience, poor products, poor customer service....!  

I just received my Oppo BDP-105 in Silver yesterday, and guess what it doesn't smell anything!

None of my electronics ever had any smell at all, Classé, Integra Research, BAT, Onkyo, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Harman, Sony, TEAC, Panasonic, Parasound, JLAudio, you name it none of them ever smelled anything when cold and even when they get hot. These EMOTIVA smell so bad any one walking into that room comments about the bad smell! 

Never have I had such a bad experience!

Have you considered taking a full page ad in a local newspaper to express your feelings? Maybe you can get your complaint on national TV also.
post #372 of 547 Old 06-13-2013, 04:07 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View PostHave you considered taking a full page ad in a local newspaper to express your feelings? Maybe you can get your complaint on national TV also.

If it can prevent that others make the same mistake then why not! After as far as I know it's a free country and there is such a thing like the Better Business Bureau!

post #373 of 547 Old 06-13-2013, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

If the smell is that disturbing, how can you enjoy your music? Imagine asking how the food tastes and to ignore the foul smell of it.

my home theatre

post #374 of 547 Old 06-14-2013, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If the smell is that disturbing, how can you enjoy your music? Imagine asking how the food tastes and to ignore the foul smell of it.

I am detecting a foul smell from some of the recent posts against Emotiva.
post #375 of 547 Old 06-14-2013, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Possibly because of the foul advertising and (lack of) customer service done by Emotiva.

my home theatre

post #376 of 547 Old 06-14-2013, 05:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Possibly because of the foul advertising and (lack of) customer service done by Emotiva.

Louis is but one of many who have given an account of Onkyo's poor quality of products and CS. Take your crusade to the Onkyo forums if you feel that it is your duty to help the consumer.
Since you seem to be one who likes to shoot sitting ducks rather than venture out for the hunt of big game I doubt that you will.
post #377 of 547 Old 06-14-2013, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Why should I attack Onkyo when my personal experiences with Onkyo both as a consumer and as a calibrator have been nothing but pleasant while my experience with Emotiva have been nothing pleasant?

my home theatre

post #378 of 547 Old 06-14-2013, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 787
Quote:

Why should I attack Onkyo when my personal experiences with Onkyo both as a consumer and as a calibrator have been nothing but pleasant while my experience with Emotiva have been nothing pleasant?

and how many times are you going to repeat this?rolleyes.gif

its a wonder you get any reviews or calibrations or install done with the amount of time you have spent bitching about emo the last several weeks. Tons of companies have had tech support/sales support issues over the years. Tons of companies have had product and production issues over the years. If you don't like the products and don't like the business practices, by all means share your experiences to help others (i like to research the good and the bad before puttng forth my money on any product), but to continually single out one company and ragging on them just for the sake of it comes across as very immature to this forum reader.

you opinion is posted for all who care to read and it is well known to all who have followed, but to continually post the same garbage in the guise of dissatisfaction over and over again is getting old and frankly tiresome. if you have anything new to add regarding JADE designs (or any other company for that matter) or any of their subsidiaries I'm sure it will be well received by those who care. However for someone who claims to be a professional in the AV field your antics these past several weeks regarding emo have come across as anything but professional, and makes me question the relevancy of your professionalism.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
post #379 of 547 Old 06-14-2013, 05:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Would it be an attack if you were being honest? If you do a little research you can find as many or more different people complaining about Onkyo. It is the usual very very few attacking Emotiva.
I have owned the UMC-1 and had a very pleasant experience as you did with Onkyo. Using your analogy that means that Emo is as good as Onkyo.
BTW, when the UMC-200 failed to recognize the front mains did you have to unplug and replug the mic to get it to recognize them?
post #380 of 547 Old 06-14-2013, 05:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

Louis is but one of many who have given an account of Onkyo's poor quality of products and CS. Take your crusade to the Onkyo forums if you feel that it is your duty to help the consumer.
Since you seem to be one who likes to shoot sitting ducks rather than venture out for the hunt of big game I doubt that you will.

The difference between service from Onkyo and Emotiva is that Onkyo is not known for their great service. That is a known fact and I wouldn't dispute that at all. I never had a single issue with the three (805, 885 and 886) Onkyos I owned. But I know a number of Onkyo owners that weren't as lucky. The recent issues with Onkyo AVRs and prepros is well known and there are a number of threads here discussing them. I never kept up with those threads but I doubt there is anyone in those threads defending Onkyo with the vigor that you defend Emotiva.

Emotiva is a much smaller company that is known for offering excellent service. Not everyone agrees with my outlook on service but I believe an A/V companies service starts with the products they produce. In other words if a company such as Emotiva consistently produces products with issues that is poor service IMO. I have seen countless posts in several forums discussing Emotiva's first rate service. That includes replacing defective components, allowing returns up to 30 days and updating customers prepros because the FW updates wouldn't take. So the fact that Emotiva offers great service on products of questionable quality seems more like damage control than good service IMO.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #381 of 547 Old 06-14-2013, 06:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Would it be an attack if you were being honest? If you do a little research you can find as many or more different people complaining about Onkyo. It is the usual very very few attacking Emotiva.
I have owned the UMC-1 and had a very pleasant experience as you did with Onkyo. Using your analogy that means that Emo is as good as Onkyo.
BTW, when the UMC-200 failed to recognize the front mains did you have to unplug and replug the mic to get it to recognize them?

Your logic is seriously flawed. Do you have the numbers of the amount of Onkyo processors (AVRs and prepros) sold compared to what Emotiva sells? Without those numbers your above statement has no validity. If Onkyo sells 10x more processors than Emotiva then of course you will see more complaints about Onkyo processors. That is an obvious fact that you seem to misunderstand. You talk about those in this thread about having a vendetta with Emotiva when you seem to have a serious one with Onkyo wink.gif.

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #382 of 547 Old 06-14-2013, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, I didn't need to unplug, just keep re-doing Emo Calibration and the third time's a charm, so to speak.

my home theatre

post #383 of 547 Old 06-14-2013, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

The difference between service from Onkyo and Emotiva is that Onkyo is not known for their great service. That is a known fact and I wouldn't dispute that at all. I never had a single issue with the three (805, 885 and 886) Onkyos I owned. But I know a number of Onkyo owners that weren't as lucky. The recent issues with Onkyo AVRs and prepros is well known and there are a number of threads here discussing them. I never kept up with those threads but I doubt there is anyone in those threads defending Onkyo with the vigor that you defend Emotiva.

Emotiva is a much smaller company that is known for offering excellent service. Not everyone agrees with my outlook on service but I believe an A/V companies service starts with the products they produce. In other words if a company such as Emotiva consistently produces products with issues that is poor service IMO. I have seen countless posts in several forums discussing Emotiva's first rate service. That includes replacing defective components, allowing returns up to 30 days and updating customers prepros because the FW updates wouldn't take. So the fact that Emotiva offers great service on products of questionable quality seems more like damage control than good service IMO.

Bill

You keep saying you had no problem with Onkyo. I have stated that my UMC had no issues (likely because of my requirements). That must make them equal.

The issues with Emotiva are well known also. Why do you keep rehashing the same old stuff. If you feel that it is your duty to warn the world why not take your crusade to other brands that sell more volume of defective units rather than troll a select brand. IOW, why not follow the other threads.
post #384 of 547 Old 06-14-2013, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your logic is seriously flawed. Do you have the numbers of the amount of Onkyo processors (AVRs and prepros) sold compared to what Emotiva sells? Without those numbers your above statement has no validity. If Onkyo sells 10x more processors than Emotiva then of course you will see more complaints about Onkyo processors. That is an obvious fact that you seem to misunderstand. You talk about those in this thread about having a vendetta with Emotiva when you seem to have a serious one with Onkyo wink.gif.

Bill

My logic is not flawed. I just did not think I needed to go into detail about the obvious.
I do not dispute that Onkyo sells more units. If they sell 10x more units and have 10x more complaints then they are on the same scale as Emotiva.

You seem to be on a crusade to save so many from buying a problematic unit. You could save 10x more if you posted about Onkyo faults.

You are the one with a misunderstanding. I have no vendetta with Onkyo. Go ahead and try to find a post by me in an Onkyo thread where I claimed they had defects. My reference to Onkyo is only to show how prejudiced you and a few others are.
post #385 of 547 Old 06-14-2013, 06:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:
You keep saying you had no problem with Onkyo. I have stated that my UMC had no issues (likely because of my requirements). That must make them equal.

Both would be equal as far as our personal experiences. It doesn't indicate that one brand has more failures than the other. Do you understand that?
Quote:
The issues with Emotiva are well known also. Why do you keep rehashing the same old stuff. If you feel that it is your duty to warn the world why not take your crusade to other brands that sell more volume of defective units rather than troll a select brand. IOW, why not follow the other threads.

No offense but you just don't seem to be understanding what I posted earlier. How do you know that any A/V company has "more volume of defective units" than any another A/V company? Do you have actual numbers of units sold to the failure rates of these other brands? Unless you have those numbers once again your statements have no validity at all. I'm not trolling in any way shape or form. Do you understand what a troll is? Do you feel it is your duty to take up a crusade to defend Emotiva? You just don't seem to have the ability to look at what you are posting and how it contradicts what you are saying.

Bill

post #386 of 547 Old 06-14-2013, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No, I didn't need to unplug, just keep re-doing Emo Calibration and the third time's a charm, so to speak.

Thanks David. I asked because just yesterday I ran the RC on a Sony and it did not recognize speakers. It seems that this old Dummy did not have the mic pushed in firmly. That is likely the only mistake I made yesterday.smile.gif

My Pioneer had a problem with recognizing a surround back speaker that never existed. Guess they all have flaws.
post #387 of 547 Old 06-14-2013, 06:52 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Let's face it AVS is a huge part of Emotiva's business. I wouldn't debate the line with anyone here. Especially since it is a known fact (my sources) that their biggest defenders are disguised as "regular" members here. You are arguing with ownership, managers and or employees. Don't! It's pointless.

This "thread" needs to be closed.
visiter555 likes this.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #388 of 547 Old 06-14-2013, 06:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

My logic is not flawed. I just did not think I needed to go into detail about the obvious.
I do not dispute that Onkyo sells more units. If they sell 10x more units and have 10x more complaints then they are on the same scale as Emotiva.

You seem to be on a crusade to save so many from buying a problematic unit. You could save 10x more if you posted about Onkyo faults.

You are the one with a misunderstanding. I have no vendetta with Onkyo. Go ahead and try to find a post by me in an Onkyo thread where I claimed they had defects. My reference to Onkyo is only to show how prejudiced you and a few others are.

I would have to agree with you that I'm prejudiced against Emotiva. I bought the UMC-1 and the USP-1 with both having obvious flaws out of the box. If the first two Onkyos had similar issues that the UMC-1 and the USP-1 had I would be warning people about Onkyo without a doubt. I was going to buy the UMC-200 to take advantage of the PEQ but then read the numerous issues posted on the Lounge by UMC-200 owners. All one has to do is visit the Lounge and one will see this to be true. So if the posts in this thread alert those looking at Emotiva products to the issues they have then so be it. Maybe you have forgotten the title of this thread............. Emotiva, BEWARE of emotiva wink.gif. So my posts would be right on topic then smile.gif.

Bill

post #389 of 547 Old 06-14-2013, 07:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

Let's face it AVS is a huge part of Emotiva's business. I wouldn't debate the line with anyone here. Especially since it is a known fact (my sources) that their biggest defenders are disguised as "regular" members here. You are arguing with ownership, managers and or employees. Don't! It's pointless.

This "thread" needs to be closed.

I totally disagree with the above. So just because AVS is a huge part of Emotiva's business we as members shouldn't discuss their products good and bad? I think it has been obvious for quite awhile that many of Emotiva's "defenders" are from over at the Lounge. To think I didn't need any of "my sources" to figure that out wink.gif.

Bill

post #390 of 547 Old 06-14-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:

I totally disagree with the above. So just because AVS is a huge part of Emotiva's business we as members shouldn't discuss their products good and bad? Seeing you are suggesting that this thread be closed maybe you are one of those "regular" members wink.gif.

Bill

You actually took that the complete opposite. My point is that unless you have nothing better to do with your time why keep arguing the same thing over and over again? Check out their main defenders. Almost all of the threads they are active with are Emotiva based. And I don't have a single Emotiva product in my home. Check out my Current Set Up. Marantz AV8801, Parasound A51 Black X 2..... Etc.

And my statement comes with inside knowledge. I used to work with "old" AVS... wink.gif

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page