Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcrown1 View Post

\
\

I have an Marntz SR7007 and yes you can make indvidual adjustments with Audyssey.

LMAO... smile.gif

Domino's donÂt fall all at once, they fall one at a time...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 547 Old 06-16-2013, 11:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk112000 View Post

Bill, they simply said the sound was more clear. The dialog was more understandable.
I had a movie playing that was one that we had watched, just the night before.

suffolk,

Thanks for your reply smile.gif.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #453 of 547 Old 06-16-2013, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Anyone have any experience with the Sherbourn Amps specifically the
PA 5-200 5-Channel Amplifier ?
trying to decide between the Sherbourn and the XPA-5.
Sherbourn has a hell of a warranty (10 yrs)

thoughts ?

post #454 of 547 Old 06-16-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I have one for my center, surrounds and heights and no big complaints. The only concern is the quality of the RCA connectors are a bit variable in dimensions. Not tried it for mains.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
post #455 of 547 Old 06-16-2013, 12:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

I don’t come to AVS quite as much anymore, now I see why. First of all. Can a mod please change or note in the title of the thread that the OP got his issue resolved? Additionally, (too the original poster denkiedenk) if you’re going to post/start a thread like this and not keep it properly updated, than the thread deserves to be deleted because it is no longer relevant.
Most of the people I see posting anti Emotiva, are the same ones who always do. You seldom hear from all of the people who are home simply enjoying their Emotiva gear, watching a movie or listening to their two channel gear without issue.
I had a Denon receiver with no HDMI outs that, at the time, I had been looking to replace for about two years. I have an Outlaw 770 amp (200X7) and Rocket speakers. My room is a dedicated treated room.
A year ago, (almost to the day) despite all the critics, much like we see in this thread I finally made the decision and took a chance and purchased an Emotiva UMC-1.
What I found was a solid performing pre-pro that I am happily enjoying and after a year of regular usage, I have no regrets on the purchase. The audio improvement was incredible. Everyone in the family noticed the difference within moments of being in the room. I was a bit concerned with making the change (to HDMI) because my equipment is housed in another room and I have about a 35 foot cable run from my equipment to my JVC-RS2. Since adding the UMC-1, I have had no issues with the run. In fact, my HDMI locks in just as quickly as it did from running a cable straight from my Blu Ray player, to my projector, before adding the UMC-1. Many people complained about the HDMI handshake with the Emotiva. I’ve had no issues… even with my 35 foot cable run. I also heard many people complain about the room correction (EMO Q). I’ve ran it twice since installing the UMC-1 and each time, the settings were pretty solid. One thing I like about EMO Q is that you can make adjustments after the room correction runs and tweak the settings to your personal tastes. You cannot do this with Audyssey. In my instance, my sub and center channel were both set to hot, so I dialed them back a little bit. In the end… isn’t that what it’s all about…?
Anyway, I just thought I would add a post from a more favorable stance than many of the others here have.

In most cases, I am sure everything works out just fine with an Emotiva product. In those cases, you have no reason to contact them, or deal with customer support, and so on.

However, in the case of the post you replied to - there was something wrong. And, in that case, the person in question had to deal with many hassles.

You can paint such a post as negative - but - here's a question for you, Suffolk. If you had been in their position - and had to experience everything that they had to experience - how would you feel about both the product and the company in question?

Just food for thought....
David Susilo likes this.
post #456 of 547 Old 06-16-2013, 01:24 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post

I have one for my center, surrounds and heights and no big complaints. The only concern is the quality of the RCA connectors are a bit variable in dimensions. Not tried it for mains.

thanks for the info, have you been able to compare it to an XPA-5?
My guess, and thats all it is, is they would sound more similar than different.

post #457 of 547 Old 06-16-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 67
In my discussions with Shearborn the Pa 5-200 should sound the same as the XPA-5 as they have the same amp sections.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, DBP 2010, Samsung BD-C7900, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650. Sitting still CCM616, Kef...
post #458 of 547 Old 06-16-2013, 07:02 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked: 365

Issue resolved please, frown.gif Not even close!

if that's not being paid by EMOTIVA I don't know what is!

post #459 of 547 Old 06-16-2013, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 427
How's the issue resolved when too many people are still having problem in something simple as contacting Emotiva? The tread is about warning people of Emotiva. Apparently one issue being solved is good enough. rolleyes.gif

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #460 of 547 Old 06-16-2013, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo130 View Post

In most cases, I am sure everything works out just fine with an Emotiva product. In those cases, you have no reason to contact them, or deal with customer support, and so on.

However, in the case of the post you replied to - there was something wrong. And, in that case, the person in question had to deal with many hassles.

You can paint such a post as negative - but - here's a question for you, Suffolk. If you had been in their position - and had to experience everything that they had to experience - how would you feel about both the product and the company in question?

Just food for thought....

How would I handle the above scenario?
That's an easy one...
Well for starters, I would call Emotiva directly and not post on some random internet forum. If I were going to post on a forum, I'd go to the Emotiva forum where my 'issue' would be most likely noticed and addressed by people who actually own the gear.

post #461 of 547 Old 06-16-2013, 09:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

How's the issue resolved when too many people are still having problem in something simple as contacting Emotiva? The tread is about warning people of Emotiva. Apparently one issue being solved is good enough. rolleyes.gif

Your issue is not what I've heard, or even experienced my self.
Any time I've ever had a question, I've been helped. Even when the question ended up being a stupid one. And if there is one thing people say is great about Emotiva, it's their customer service. So if your saying your having issues contacting them, I have to say that maybe you should try again.

post #462 of 547 Old 06-16-2013, 10:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

That's an easy one...
Well for starters, I would call Emotiva directly and not post on some random internet forum. If I were going to post on a forum, I'd go to the Emotiva forum where my 'issue' would be most likely noticed and addressed by people who actually own the gear.

Well the OP is not in the US or Canada, if you go back and read his original post, he is the editor of a small Dutch audio magazine. So it's safe to assume that he lives in Holland or somewhere else in the Netherlands. So for him the cost of a phone call more than likely would be astronomical, especially if they were put on hold. Not to mention the roughly 7hr difference of time zones.

Posting issues & problems on Emotiva's own forum, more often than not results in ridicule from the loyal following there, removed posts, and yes, it has even resulted in banishment for some people..
post #463 of 547 Old 06-17-2013, 12:05 AM

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

Instead of having certain forums patrolled in an attempt to shape the message, Emotiva could solve 90% of their woes by not releasing crappy processors and not letting promotional pricing events swamp their staff to the point of hurting customer service efforts.

At the end of the day, this would give Emotiva a much bigger boost than whining about a thread title they don't like. Respect the customer enough to not unload crappy processors on them and promise the freaking world and then fail to deliver time and time again.

Yes there are other issues, but respecting the customer more would go a long way.
post #464 of 547 Old 06-17-2013, 02:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:

Any time I've ever had a question, I've been helped. Even when the question ended up being a stupid one. And if there is one thing people say is great about Emotiva, it's their customer service. So if your saying your having issues contacting them, I have to say that maybe you should try again.

David's problem started when Emotiva would not send him a free sample to review.
post #465 of 547 Old 06-17-2013, 02:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin' View Post

At the end of the day, this would give Emotiva a much bigger boost than whining about a thread title they don't like. Respect the customer enough to not unload crappy processors on them and promise the freaking world and then fail to deliver time and time again.

Yes there are other issues, but respecting the customer more would go a long way.

The OP did not mention a problem with a processor. Is it so difficult for you to understand that not all Emo users are unhappy with the processors?
post #466 of 547 Old 06-17-2013, 04:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 793
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

Quote:

David's problem started when Emotiva would not send him a free sample to review.
yup so he comes on the forums and whines about it over and over and over. I guess it wasn't enough to let his loyal readers know about Emo deniyng him a product for review in a professional manner. Once David did get his hands on the product for review by other means he slammed it in a very subjective manner....damaging credibility in my opninion.

Wse has an unique issue where his amp stunk up his place and difficulties in getting support. Assuming he did everything right and proper he does have a legitamate beef. However in my own experience and the posted experiences of others in n. America his is atypical.

Running evidently tried out a product and didn't like it so now he has made it a point to constantly bash the company its products and owners of such products.....his hate is truely the most pointless.

The op a Dutch guy had issues and difficulty working with emotiva in getting them resolved. Which from what I understand is somewhat common though unfortunate for over seas customers due to the logistics involved in supporting at great distances. However the op and Emo were able to work things out and the op happily posted that and moved on......and that is why the title has been changed because this issue was resolved. But for many they need to have an outlet for their issues with Emo so I guess this thread is better then any other.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
post #467 of 547 Old 06-17-2013, 05:11 AM

Liked: 13
When is the xmc-1 going to be released ? Don't need another podcast talking about the new cat or which secretary got a ring, just a firm release date.
Bill Mac likes this.
post #468 of 547 Old 06-17-2013, 06:08 AM

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbridled_id View Post

When is the xmc-1 going to be released ? Don't need another podcast talking about the new cat or which secretary got a ring, just a firm release date.

The tale of the XMC is unfortunately a long and sordid one. Several years ago was the first time it was announced, well before the UMC-1 hit the streets. Since then it's been delay after promise after delay. It's most recent history was in January of 2012, when Emotiva announced once again that it was coming, this time in June of 2012. As the date grew closer they changed the release to "summer" of 2012, then September, then last quarter of 2012, then 1st quarter of 2013 and finally blessed silence. It'll come out when it's ready, they announced, and we ain't promising no more dates. Buy something else if you don't like it, they said, and many have.

This is the disrespect for the customer that I've been talking about, unbridled, and sadly now they have taken to barring people from their forum for politely critiquing the UMC-200. Bottom line, with their track record on processors? Don't hold your breath.

Edit: To add insult to injury, sometime around early November 2012 Emotiva's competitor Outlaw Audio announced a scaled down processor, the 975. The same day, that very afternoon, Emotiva suddenly announced a scaled down processor. So they had it in the works all along but were keeping it from the public until Outlaw forced their hand.
post #469 of 547 Old 06-17-2013, 06:37 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bo130 View Post

5 years? Don't most AVR manufacturers go through a substantial change in technology within 5 years? It seems to me like after 5 years, you would have to do some substantial changes.

Emo has changed the XMC-1...that is they change the date like most change their underwear. The date has come and gone so many times, who knows the truth.

There was an interview with Dan (video available somewhere) that he said the TACT less XMC would be delivered no later than end of year 2012 and a TACT "upgrade) woul be available 1st quarter 2013.

I would call that substantial.

Actually no one has any idea of what the XMC is any more. Dan stated that it had been totally redesigned since a "demo" was shown at Emofest 2012, so none of the info on the Emo site (pre redesign) is valid.
post #470 of 547 Old 06-17-2013, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post

please stick to technical issues: or you will be asked to leave the discussion

what he said ^^^
post #471 of 547 Old 06-17-2013, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

That's an easy one...

I don't know if you failed to read his post, or if you're simply trying (in vain) to dismiss my point completely, but he DID contact Emotiva. Go back and re-read his post for a refresher if you have doubts. The whole point of his post was to share his experiences with Emotiva. Not with their forum, not with this forum, but with Emotiva.

Based on your previous response, I get the impression that you have no desire to place yourself in the shoes of someone else who did not have a satisfactory experience. However, I have doubts that you've lived you life free of grievances with a product you've purchased, so I am guessing that you're simply unwilling to fathom the concept that Emotiva's track record is less than spotless.
post #472 of 547 Old 06-17-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The lack of audio sync, which is supposed to be part of HDMI 1.3 spec but it's it's not included by Emotiva is not something that can be solved over the phone. It's a bad design issue.

Xpressview being no faster than regular HDMI switching is also can not be solved over the phone, it goes back to design.

The claim for $4,500 performance from a $599 pre-pro also can not be solved over the phone

But I understand, you really love your Emotiva. Good luck biggrin.gif

(Clicking unsubscribe)

my home theatre

post #473 of 547 Old 06-17-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:

The claim for $4,500 performance from a $599 pre-pro also can not be solved over the phone.

I find the claim of $4,500 performance from the UMC-200 to be a bit over the top myself. I think it sounds a bit arrogant from Emotiva IMO. If one buys the UMC-200 expecting it to perform like a $4,500 prepro and it doesn't can be an issue as well. I honestly think Emotiva should think about something different than that. What will the XMC-1's marketing slogan be, $10,000 performance from a $1500 prepro?

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #474 of 547 Old 06-17-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

I find the claim of $4,500 performance from the UMC-200 to be a bit over the top myself. I think it sounds a bit arrogant from Emotiva IMO. If one buys the UMC-200 expecting it to perform like a $4,500 prepro and it doesn't can be an issue as well. I honestly think Emotiva should think about something different than that. What will the XMC-1's marketing slogan be, $10,000 performance from a $1500 prepro?

Bill
Of course, you do Bill but then that's just silly and overused marketing hyperbole that only the incredibly naive gullible, and those needing such hollow assurances would fall for. No different than all the pizzerias that claim to make the best pizza, the best coffee, the most reliable cars, the hottest dancers, and so forth. Now to listen to speakers that are as good those costing three times as much.

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
post #475 of 547 Old 06-17-2013, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai View Post

Of course, you do Bill but then that's just silly and overused marketing hyperbole that only the incredibly naive gullible, and those needing such hollow assurances would fall for. No different than all the pizzerias that claim to make the best pizza, the best coffee, the most reliable cars, the hottest dancers, and so forth. Now to listen to speakers that are as good those costing three times as much.

Wait, don't forget "similarly good". smile.gif
post #476 of 547 Old 06-17-2013, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The lack of audio sync, which is supposed to be part of HDMI 1.3 spec but it's it's not included by Emotiva is not something that can be solved over the phone. It's a bad design issue.

Xpressview being no faster than regular HDMI switching is also can not be solved over the phone, it goes back to design.

The claim for $4,500 performance from a $599 pre-pro also can not be solved over the phone

But I understand, you really love your Emotiva. Good luck biggrin.gif

(Clicking unsubscribe)

How did you come to the conclusion that it does not have audio sync? It is labeled as LipSync in the set up menu as with most AVRs.
post #477 of 547 Old 06-17-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

How did you come to the conclusion that it does not have audio sync? It is labeled as LipSync in the set up menu as with most AVRs.

Only manual lip sync is available, which is not part of HDMI 1.3 spec which requires automatic lip sync feature.

To be fair, Emotiva is NOT the only one with this.

my home theatre

post #478 of 547 Old 06-17-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Only manual lip sync is available, which is not part of HDMI 1.3 spec which requires automatic lip sync feature.

To be fair, Emotiva is NOT the only one with this.

Please list some brands that have auto. I have owned several and to my knowledge all were manual.
post #479 of 547 Old 06-17-2013, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Yamaha, Pioneer (both have auto and manual), Anthem (auto is on all the time, no option to turn it off).

Onkyo, IIRC, is manual only.

my home theatre

post #480 of 547 Old 06-17-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

Well the OP is not in the US or Canada, if you go back and read his original post, he is the editor of a small Dutch audio magazine. So it's safe to assume that he lives in Holland or somewhere else in the Netherlands. So for him the cost of a phone call more than likely would be astronomical, especially if they were put on hold. Not to mention the roughly 7hr difference of time zones.

Posting issues & problems on Emotiva's own forum, more often than not results in ridicule from the loyal following there, removed posts, and yes, it has even resulted in banishment for some people..

Ok, so if I were that person buying a piece of gear in that situation, then I'd sure make sure I knew all of this (my personal cost for a phone call) before getting started. Is it Emotiva's fault if that is the decision the OP made?
...and I disagree with you on the way people are treated on the Emotiva website. I frequent that site more than this one these days and I can tell you this is not the case.

Closed Thread Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Emotiva Xpa 5 5 Channel Power Amplifier

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page