Best way to stream pandora to stereo - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 77 Old 02-09-2013, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Played on my BDP-103, through my SR7007, Pandora One sounds pretty darned good. I am very pleased how it sounds compared to how it sounded on my iPod Touch, plugged into a stereo. And through my home wireless network, no hiccups. The Marantz AVR also has a Pandora app as well, but the Pandora screens on the BDP-103 are much more user friendly, IMO. I always use the Oppo for Pandora.

Well worth upgrading from the free version.

BDP103>SR7007>55"ES8000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 77 Old 02-09-2013, 04:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 721
So the Pandora One is great on the Panasonic BDP because it's commercial free or are you saying you think you're getting 192kbps now?

post #63 of 77 Old 02-09-2013, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dranalytical View Post

The only way to play pandora to airplay is with an iphone, ipad or ipod touch and either an apple tv or an airport express with airplay enabled and a set of speakers hooked to it. All of my devices play Pandora great to my apple TV and to my airport express. No skips ever. My apple TV is WIRED to my router and my AirPort Express is a wireless extender, so technically it is wireless. They both work great. To enable AirPlay in the Pandora app you must go to the "Now Playing" section, then slide your finger up on the three bars inbetween the thumbs up button and the pause button. If you are on your wireless network on your iDevice and it is the same as your Apple TV or AirPort network, a box with an arrow pointing up in the bottom will appear to the right of the Volume Slider. Click this box with the up arrow and you will be able to select your different airplay devices to stream to.

If anyone figures out how to AirPlay your PC's sound directly to an Apple TV or AirPort Express Airplay, please let me know.

One option I have not seen pointed out is that on a MAC computer you can do this. Go into Settings then sounds and then pick your AirPlay device as the sound output for your mac. Go to Pandora.com and login to your account. Play music. It should just work.

We are discussing how to obtain the higher quality audio at 192 Kbps. If you go to post 49 where I quote Pandora, they indicate that cell phones/devices are not capable of this..."only on the web".
Unless I am reading their response wrong, phones are out. Please clarify for me.

Espo77
post #64 of 77 Old 02-10-2013, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo77 View Post

We are discussing how to obtain the higher quality audio at 192 Kbps. If you go to post 49 where I quote Pandora, they indicate that cell phones/devices are not capable of this..."only on the web".
Unless I am reading their response wrong, phones are out. Please clarify for me.

Exactly what they told me as we'll. Mobile devices only get a max of 64 KBps. Web page or desktop app with paid subscription gives 192 max. AV gear like TV's, disk players, media boxes ... get 128.

Started trying out MOG. Very noticeable improvement in both the low end and high end compared to pandora one. Also sounds much "smoother" and natural. I really hope Pandora ups the bit rate for all connected devices.
post #65 of 77 Old 02-10-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollagi View Post

Exactly what they told me as we'll. Mobile devices only get a max of 64 KBps. Web page or desktop app with paid subscription gives 192 max. AV gear like TV's, disk players, media boxes ... get 128.

Started trying out MOG. Very noticeable improvement in both the low end and high end compared to pandora one. Also sounds much "smoother" and natural. I really hope Pandora ups the bit rate for all connected devices.

Yeah, this is very disappointing to me because I like Pandora. Looks like I'll also try MOG. Pandora is what it is.

Espo77
post #66 of 77 Old 02-10-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post

I see it when I select MOG Radio. Take a look at the image here, showing the MOG Radio slider with the "Pearl Jam Only" point on the left and "Similar Artists" point on the right.

But I do have a paid subscription. smile.gif

I don't have a paid subscription to MOG and I see the slider.

Afro GT
post #67 of 77 Old 02-10-2013, 02:51 PM

Liked: 10
Hi all,

I think this is my first post and I will inject my 2c as I also like Pandora, and would like the best quality possible on my HT.

I have been playing Pandora through a variety of sound systems and different sources: DirectV DVR, ipod, ipad, android, Smart TV, and finally a computer. Except for the computer, I have the other devices hooked up to a full on high end sound system with a Denon HT amp, B&W speakers with sub. The ipod was connected to the HT system via a Sherwood ipod dock. The computer is connected to my office sound system via the built in audio output jacks (nothing fancy there) to the sound system which comprises of a BreathAudio whole house system with an external 200w amp, just to provide background music via rather inexpensive ceiling mounted speakers.

In a nutshell, I think my office system actually produces the best sound from Pandora overall, better than Pandora coming from the different devices hooked up to my HT system. Quite impressively detailed, but of course without the power of my home HT system. My HT sound system is capable of much higher resolution obviously, and components were chosen to favor audiophile sound rather than full on HT.

So, my tentative conclusion from this is in line with what most of you found out: that computer output of Pandora sound is likely of higher resolution than the mobile and set top devices. My HT sound system shows all the sonic deficiencies of the lesser bit rate. I have been trying to figure this out for a while now, and while reading through this thread it makes sense now.

If most of you are correct in reading that Pandora does indeed provide the highest resolution sound only from a web browser or the Pandora One app on a computer, then looks like that the only way to get the best sound from Pandora is to hook up a computer to your sound system. Maybe it is a good way to revive an old laptop or desktop you were thinking of replacing anyway and put to good use, even one of those cheap Net Books. A Netbook would be more ideal I think because of its built in display and smaller size. You may even install one of those "higher end" sound cards or adapters that hook up via USB for even better sound. I think I may just try that right now.

Again, my 2c.

Alex smile.gif
post #68 of 77 Old 02-10-2013, 05:17 PM

I dont find that to be true at all. Pandora from my AR7007's menu is vastly superior to what I get from my MacBook Pro piped into it. But thats just my experience.

BDP103>SR7007>55"ES8000
post #69 of 77 Old 02-13-2013, 01:13 AM

I have written to DirecTV since my last post and this is what they had to say about Pandora:

"Thank you for the follow up email and your interest in the specifications of Pandora through DIRECTV's HD DVR receivers.

Pandora uses 128kbps to all third party media units regardless of subscription level. At last check, Pandora One's 192kbps stream is only available on a PC based web browser. Please rest assured, as the leader in home entertainment technology, if Pandora provides in the future higher bitrate options for third party providers, DIRECTV will certainly consider all available options to pass this on to our subscribers."

I have also confirmed that hooking up my laptop to my HT via its on-board audio card produced superior sound than that coming from the DirectV DVR. DirecTV says that the 192kbps stream is *ONLY* available on a *PC* based web browser... maybe this explains why your Apple product (Macbook Pro) is sounding inferior?
post #70 of 77 Old 04-07-2013, 10:02 AM

Are you able to stream Pandora 192 kb from your computer to your receiver? How do you do that. I have my onkyo 3009 wired and my computer is wireless but i cant find the pandora stream from the computer- just itunes.
post #71 of 77 Old 04-07-2013, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Yeah, I don't understand Pandora's rationale in limiting 3rd party devices to 128Kb when their paid desktop app gets 192Kb, especially since most computer sound systems are pretty crummy and anyone who has a device like a BD player who uses Pandora most likely has a decent sound system attached to it. I have Airplay, so it's not a big deal for me to stream to the receiver from the computer, but I'd rather run Pandora from the TV or my BD player.

Of course, if I use a different system, like MOG, I'd have to run it from the computer anyway. (I suppose I could run it from the TV's web browser, but the UI on that browser is so bad, I think it would cause terrorists to confess if they were forced to use it on a daily basis.)
post #72 of 77 Old 04-30-2013, 03:51 PM

Hi all,

Like others in this thread I am a big Pandora fan and have been struggling with the quality it provides via different delivery methods. I have only recently started using the service, mainly via Airplay from iPad / iPhone but haven't been super happy with the quality. I also currently use Rdio and MOG and they are far superior in audio quality, but I find Pandora's smarts for creating "radio stations" to be superior.

I have decided to do some low level testing on various devices to see what they are actually receiving. I started this because I wanted to see if I could patch the iOS app to "improve" the stream it receives.

So far I have captured a couple of audio files my iPhone was playing over WiFi. They were AAC (MP4) 56Kbps and 64Kbps.

I will now test my iPad. I also have a Squeezebox touch (still in box!) which I just realised supports Pandora via a plugin, as well as an Onkyo NR609 which I also believe supports direct playback, so I will capture some of the data they are receiving also to see what the audio files are.

I will also test the Air app and the webbrowser version too.

Give me a few days, I probably won't get this completed until the weekend

Cheers
Steve
post #73 of 77 Old 05-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctubster View Post

So far I have captured a couple of audio files my iPhone was playing over WiFi. They were AAC (MP4) 56Kbps and 64Kbps.

I will now test my iPad. ...

Cheers
Steve

64 is correct for your iPhone because its a mobile device; your iPad will also get 64 because its also considered a mobile device. I have no idea what a squeeze box is but if its a mobile device it will get 64 otherwise it will get 128. Your receiver will get 128.
post #74 of 77 Old 05-01-2013, 10:35 PM

Have you measured this? Also there is a big difference between AAC and MP3, in particular at lower bitrates <128Kbps

For example the Flash player in a browser is 192Kbps MP3 not AAC

I am really hoping that the 128Kbps for the "appliances" is AAC, depending on the source material 64Kbps AAC will be close to 128Kbps MP3 in "defects", which would be disappointing (I haven't tried yet listening yet, and in fact I couldn't find Pandora in my amp last night, and have decided to not upgrade the firmware because of the horror stories regarding Onkyo amps and firmware upgrades).
post #75 of 77 Old 05-02-2013, 03:26 AM

Just tested my Squeezebox Touch with the Pandora plugin.

Really slick, going to make it my primary Pandora and MOG playback device and give the iPad a break.

Sadly Pandora is 128Kbps CBR MP3 ... I was hoping for 128KBps AAC which would be more like 160Kbps MP3 but sadly no.

I am going to have a quick play now to see if I can "rewrite" the request to get the 192Kbps stream instead.

So in summary

IPhone on high quality 54 / 64 Kbps AAC stream
Squeezebox with Pandora plugin, 128Kbps CBR MP3 stream
Pandora Flash app (ie in browser), 192Kbps MP3 stream
Pandora Air app, haven't tested but would assume 192Kbps
post #76 of 77 Old 09-27-2013, 06:43 PM

There are a couple threads on this. "Trying to get the 192Kbps with to our "hi fi" systems." I recently went back to DirectTv after a 12 year run. The Pandora through DTV sounds the best of all my devices so far. AKA Oppo 103, Onkyo 818, iPad and PS3. So these threads got me thinking. I have an HDMI pc desktop, a long run of HDMI cable, so I ran the cable for my computer to the Onkyo 818 and nothing. For some reason its not hand shaking from the PC to my Onkyo to my Samsung smart tv. I also lose picture to my computer monitor and can't get it back and have to keep manually rebooting the PC.

And the first month I have had my DirectTV, Pandora has worked great and now it will only play ONE song and STOP?????? Any one else having this issue, thinking its a auto firmware update that is screwing it up.....

Also tried the new iTunes radio through my iPad 2 via HDMI and it sounds really low quality compared to the DirectTV Pandora.

Any input would be great - thanks;)
post #77 of 77 Old 06-21-2014, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Well here we are about a year or more later and Pandora still has done absolutely nothing to improve there sound quality on mobile devices. Thought I'd revisit this thread to see if anyone had anything to add.

I have pretty much been streaming Spotify through an iPad and have been very happy with both the quality and content. MOG was taken down by Beats and doesnt even exist now. Since Apple has taken over Beats it may be interesting to see if Beats transmorgifies into something. From what I can tell the i-Beats service is the quality leader on WiFi and pretty much delivers actual CD size audio streaming. If your bitrate is limited by your network or you are mobile there appear to be pros and cons about file format and compression techniques with all these services but I have been impressed with the 320 Kbs Ogg Vorbis stream from Spotify.

This kinda brings me back the original topic and questions why Pandora is stuck in the stone age with 64 Kbs AAC+ on a WiFi iPad when services like Beats can essentially function like remote CD players.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page