Best way to stream pandora to stereo - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 77 Old 11-25-2011, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I had an Apple TV and i was streaming pandora from my iphone/ipad to that but it had frequent cut-outs and hiccups so i got rid of it...then i purchased the onkyo nr609 and it's having issues of it's own in streaming pandora without needing a power cycle...(check that thread if you want more info, but it's jus not a convenient option)...

i just want something easy enough for my wife to turn on with the harmony remote and it just works. no need to turn on the tv or anything besides the receiver and...whatever this miracle box is...so some sort of front display would be ideal...can anyone recommend something for my needs? i'd really prefer to spend under 200 on it since pandora is really the only requirement i'm asking of it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 Old 11-25-2011, 02:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 59
Some Blu-ray players stream Pandora. A cheap Insignia player that does is $120 or so (maybe cheaper.)

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #3 of 77 Old 11-25-2011, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Wired or wireless? Streaming consistantly means a wired connection to most of us.
post #4 of 77 Old 11-25-2011, 03:07 PM

The Logitec Squeezebox has been working great for me for streaming Pandora .
post #5 of 77 Old 11-25-2011, 03:09 PM

Roku is my choice

Going on 4 years to finish a 2 week upgrade...

post #6 of 77 Old 11-25-2011, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobuick86 View Post

Wired or wireless? Streaming consistantly means a wired connection to most of us.

Wired is fine. I have a bridge behind my cabinet I could run another wire to.

Isn't the roku just a small box with no display (like the apple tv)?
post #7 of 77 Old 11-25-2011, 03:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah, no display on the Roku.

post #8 of 77 Old 11-25-2011, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJacobs View Post

So I had an Apple TV and i was streaming pandora from my iphone/ipad to that but it had frequent cut-outs and hiccups so i got rid of it...then i purchased the onkyo nr609 and it's having issues of it's own in streaming pandora without needing a power cycle...(check that thread if you want more info, but it's jus not a convenient option)...

i just want something easy enough for my wife to turn on with the harmony remote and it just works. no need to turn on the tv or anything besides the receiver and...whatever this miracle box is...so some sort of front display would be ideal...can anyone recommend something for my needs? i'd really prefer to spend under 200 on it since pandora is really the only requirement i'm asking of it...

I've not had any issues with an Onkyo HT-RC370 with a UWF-1 adapter for streaming various internet radio stations and Pandora. Is it with a UWF-1 you were having issues? Is this some sort of Onkyo issue, do you have a link?

post #9 of 77 Old 11-25-2011, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Pandora limits its stream to ALL standalone devices to 128kbps, even you pay the annual fee.

If you want to stream at the higher bitrate, the only way I can think of is either through an iPad/iPhone (using Safari), or through a Mac (also Safari) and then use AirPlay to stream to an AirPlay enabled AV Receiver.

Of course, this is an option only if you have an iOS device (save the Pandora shortcut on your screen), or a Mac.

BTW, the difference between 128kbps and 196kbps is clearly audible an any halfway decent speakers.
post #10 of 77 Old 11-25-2011, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

well for the price i think i'll snag a roku tomorrow at wally world (even though i hate going there)...if i can get an ipad app to control it then i won't need to turn on the tv and i can live happily with that.

as far as the issues with pandora on my onkyo...here's what one of the remote makers had to say about it:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post21049605

mine freezes up basically every time i use pandora and it's not consistently after x amount of hours, it's all just oddly random each time.
post #11 of 77 Old 11-26-2011, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I referrring to your current connection. Wireless will cause issues regardless of device. Wired is the preferred connection for streaming.
post #12 of 77 Old 11-26-2011, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

as far as the issues with pandora on my onkyo...here's what one of the remote makers had to say about it:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post21049605

mine freezes up basically every time i use pandora and it's not consistently after x amount of hours, it's all just oddly random each time.

Even with current firmware?

post #13 of 77 Old 11-27-2011, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobuick86 View Post

I referrring to your current connection. Wireless will cause issues regardless of device. Wired is the preferred connection for streaming.

I have had no problems when streaming wireless with my LG Blue Ray.
post #14 of 77 Old 11-27-2011, 07:08 AM

So when I listen to Pandora thru my Onkyo TX-NR 3008 am I getting 128 or 192kbps? I paid the annual feed and have more than enough internet speed at 5 mega. But it seems to me that for the past 9 months I have never seen the reciever with the Pandora activated, indicate that it's coming thru at 192kbps.
The reason I paid the annual feed was to make sure I could get the music at 192kbps to listen to some decent sound thru this decent reciever and decent floorstanding speakers.
I hope someone can reply and let me know if there is nothing else I can do so that I can get 192kbps sound with my set-up or if I am resigned to accept that 128kbps is the best I can get. I will not pay another year for 128kbps. Thanks for the replies.
post #15 of 77 Old 11-27-2011, 07:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post

I have had no problems when streaming wireless with my LG Blue Ray.

Thats nice, but how does that help the OP? He never mentioned whether he is wireless or wired currently. I'm only saying wireless doesn't work everywhere consistantly.
post #16 of 77 Old 12-02-2011, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Well I found out after some tinkering that my switch was what the 609 didn't like. Got a new wired 8-port switch and I have been streaming pandora without a hitch since. Too bad I already bought the roku at target lol. Oh well, seems like a neat little box.
post #17 of 77 Old 12-02-2011, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED2KSR View Post

So when I listen to Pandora thru my Onkyo TX-NR 3008 am I getting 128 or 192kbps?
I hope someone can reply and let me know if there is nothing else I can do so that I can get 192kbps sound with my set-up or if I am resigned to accept that 128kbps is the best I can get. I will not pay another year for 128kbps. Thanks for the replies.

Yes, if you listen to Pandora on any standalone or mobile device, you are getting 128kbps, regardless of the level of your account.

I discovered this when I got my new networked receiver and noticed that the sound wasn't what I was expecting -- I wrote to Pandora and they confirmed it. I am assuming it's because of the way their licensing is structured.

The only way you can get 192kbps would be if you use an AirPlay-enabled receiver and stream to it from a computer or an iPad/iPhone, and then only if you stream from Safari (not from the mobile app). I suppose using AirPort would work also, for non-AirPlay receivers.

I have since subscribed to MOG, which streams mostly in 320kbps (and I believe the worst they drop down to is 256kbps). I use the MOG app to stream from an iPad (via AirPlay) to my receiver. It's well worth it, IMO, and it has a much better UI than any receiver can provide.
post #18 of 77 Old 12-02-2011, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1 View Post

Yes, if you listen to Pandora on any standalone or mobile device, you are getting 128kbps, regardless of the level of your account.

I discovered this when I got my new networked receiver and noticed that the sound wasn't what I was expecting -- I wrote to Pandora and they confirmed it. I am assuming it's because of the way their licensing is structured.

The only way you can get 192kbps would be if you use an AirPlay-enabled receiver and stream to it from a computer or an iPad/iPhone, and then only if you stream from Safari (not from the mobile app). I suppose using AirPort would work also, for non-AirPlay receivers.

I have since subscribed to MOG, which streams mostly in 320kbps (and I believe the worst they drop down to is 256kbps). I use the MOG app to stream from an iPad (via AirPlay) to my receiver. It's well worth it, IMO, and it has a much better UI than any receiver can provide.

So they confirmed only frikkin' Apple fan boys get the higher quality streaming? That's f*c*d up. I did just sign up for the free 24 hour higher quality service, but could not find a damn thing on their website of what that actually provides. I just listened to a bit on the HT system and it doesn't sound any better now but I'd likely have to listen longer to be fair(er). I don't have any way of measuring my rate as far as I can tell.

post #19 of 77 Old 12-02-2011, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd View Post

So they confirmed only frikkin' Apple fan boys get the higher quality streaming? That's f*c*d up. I did just sign up for the free 24 hour higher quality service, but could not find a damn thing on their website of what that actually provides. I just listened to a bit on the HT system and it doesn't sound any better now but I'd likely have to listen longer to be fair(er). I don't have any way of measuring my rate as far as I can tell.

No. This is simply a workaround made possible by Apple's AirPlay (or AirPort), and receivers which are AirPlay capable (like Marantz, Pioneer and Denon).

AirPlay is Apple's answer to DLNA (which is implemented on most network AV receivers and is supported by Windows boxes), except that it is far more elegant and capable -- thus making the workaround above possible.

Of course, you can also get a HTPC (which can be Mac or Windows), hook it up directly to the receiver and get 192kbps Pandora that way.

Some network receivers will show the streaming rate on screen.

Also, you can tell fairly easily the bump from 128kbps to 192kbps with any pair of halfway decent speakers. But if you personally can't, why even bother getting all worked up?
post #20 of 77 Old 12-02-2011, 11:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Also, you can tell fairly easily the bump from 128kbps to 192kbps with any pair of halfway decent speakers. But if you personally can't, why even bother getting all worked up?

Yeah, my receiver shows the bit rate on screen. And I personally don't mind the 128kbps, as I don't do critical listening with Pandora.

post #21 of 77 Old 12-03-2011, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No. This is simply a workaround made possible by Apple's AirPlay (or AirPort), and receivers which are AirPlay capable (like Marantz, Pioneer and Denon).

AirPlay is Apple's answer to DLNA (which is implemented on most network AV receivers and is supported by Windows boxes), except that it is far more elegant and capable -- thus making the workaround above possible.

Of course, you can also get a HTPC (which can be Mac or Windows), hook it up directly to the receiver and get 192kbps Pandora that way.

Thanks for the additional details, and I reread your standalone device comment back a bit, too. I'm pretty sure it's 128 in any case. I don't use it for but background music anyways...

post #22 of 77 Old 12-04-2011, 04:54 AM

Thanks for the reply Ryan. I have my PC with the Pandora One App and its connected to my Onkyo 3008 and I get to hear high quality. The thing is that sometimes I don't want to have the PC on just to listen to Pandora. (Electrical bill!!!) In the end, I do usually(practically always) have it on but its certainly very disappointling that thru the Onkyo 3008 directly you aren't allowed to listen to 192kbps Pandora. I hope they do somenthing in the future so higher quality music can be played thru a high quality reciever. Thanks again for the reply.
post #23 of 77 Old 06-17-2012, 08:14 PM

Hello everyone,

Great informative thread, so thank you to all of you who participated.

I came here seeking the same exact answer...

Question: What about the smart TVs that come with the ability to access Pandora, or getting one of those boxes where you can surf the net through your TV? If you are using either of these two methods, will you get 196 kbps through your receiver/speakers? I'm new to the new-age home theater systems, so please excuse my lack of knowledge. As a matter of fact, I am planning out a new purchase of a home theater system right now. In thinking about all of this, another question just hit me - does the sound output for cable movies, and also smart tv web surfing (like Pandora on the tv) come from the TV, or does it come from the cable box? I am guessing, if Pandora limited all sound output from external devices to 128kbps, does this include the output from the cable/modem, to the receiver?

If someone could school this newbie, I would be so thankful!
post #24 of 77 Old 06-18-2012, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
196 kbps only works for internet access, not set top boxes. You'd have to stream directly from your computer to get it on your system.
post #25 of 77 Old 06-18-2012, 10:38 AM

So does that mean that a smart TV will not get the 196kbps?

I mean, I thought the smart TVs were working as computers (in regards to your "internet access" comment)??
post #26 of 77 Old 06-18-2012, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starflyte View Post

So does that mean that a smart TV will not get the 196kbps?
I mean, I thought the smart TVs were working as computers (in regards to your "internet access" comment)??
I believe that's correct. The smart TV is more like a set top box in that regard, rather than a computer.
post #27 of 77 Old 06-18-2012, 10:51 AM

I wonder what the difference is (between "set top box" and a computer)?

Also, is there a way to measure the audio stream being received on your computer, to make sure the signal is 196 kbps?
post #28 of 77 Old 06-20-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJacobs View Post

What about a cheap Android Tablet connected to a receiver? You'd have the screen. Could leave it plugged into AC all the time and then just a cable to take it into an aux (or Phono, Tape, CD, etc.) input on the receiver. Could just download the app from the Android Marketplace.

Maybe the Vizio tablet, or a Color Kindle or Nook Tablet?
post #29 of 77 Old 06-20-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 143

Pandora has most recently become very unstable for me on any PC platform.  So much Flash going on, ads, and add ons. 

It is however very stable on my iphone and on Directv, just not on PC since it has all those add-ons.

I would find a stable platform and connect to your stereo with this.

post #30 of 77 Old 06-20-2012, 11:47 AM

With more thought, I may just try hooking up an iPod Touch and stream Pandora from the app. I may even get an Airport Express and stream it from around the house.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page