Onkyo service nightmare - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 11-26-2011, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking for help/advice. Here's my situation:

I bought an Onkyo TX-NR3007 a year and a half ago. The first unit had significant static noise in both surround channels, so I sent it back to Amazon and got a replacement. The second one was better, but had similar problems in other channels. I put up with it for about a year, and it kept getting worse.

I called Onkyo USA and they gave me the name of an approved repair service in eastern Pennsylvania. I took it to him in early July. He confirmed the problems and tried to get parts for several months. About a month ago, he said he had been told to return the unit to Onkyo USA in Saddle River, NJ, and that I would get a replacement.

It's now been five months since I took the unit in. Saddle River can't track my unit via the serial number (hours on the phone waiting to talk to people). The approved service guy isn't returning my phone calls.

Meanwhile, I bought a cheap Onkyo TX-SR607 to run my home theater while this unit was being serviced, but it doesn't have enough power to get adequate volume with clean sound for my audio needs.

I want to start over and buy a GOOD unit (meaning reliable and not Onkyo). But I want the features the Onkyo has. I've looked at NAD, Pioneer, Marantz, Yamaha ... nobody seems to produce a high-end AV receiver that matches the 3007's features. Can I go component? I'm willing to spend $3,000-$4,000 but need a unit with a lot of power, internet connectivity, 5-6 HDMI connections, good video upscaling to my Panasonic PT-AE400U projector.

Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-26-2011, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Go for a Yamaha A3000. For what one of those are selling for at Newegg right now you can also add the XPA5 from Emotiva for all the power anyone should need. It's a good one along with Yamaha's rep. for dependability. These two would still come in way under budget. There's also a Denon 4311 that should do the trick. What's was on the 3007 that others did not have?
post #3 of 10 Old 11-26-2011, 05:15 PM

Liked: 14
I've also had nightmare problems with Onkyo. Suggest the Denon 4311ci. I have two subs and needed the Audessy XT32. No other brand has equalization for two subs.
post #4 of 10 Old 11-26-2011, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLord82 View Post

I've also had nightmare problems with Onkyo. Suggest the Denon 4311ci. I have two subs and needed the Audessy XT32. No other brand has equalization for two subs.

Yamaha A3000 does.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-26-2011, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLord82 View Post

No other brand has equalization for two subs.

Harman/Kardon was the 1st AVR with room EQ for 2 subwoofers, almost 5 years back with the AVR745. Later models with that feature include the 7550HD in the USA and 760/660 in Europe.

Just my $0.02..
post #6 of 10 Old 11-26-2011, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 101
HK's customer service is very good. The HK 7550HD might be the one the OP is looking for.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #7 of 10 Old 11-26-2011, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Hello,
I would jump on the A3000 from Newegg. They have it for the lowest price I have ever seen for a Brand New non Open Box A3000. BB/Magnolia did blow out some A3000's as well, but all that I heard about were Store Displays or Returns.
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #8 of 10 Old 11-28-2011, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks to all for your great suggestions .... the Yamaha RX-A3010 looks very similar to the Onkyo TX-NR3007 and has two sub outputs and two HDMI outputs ... both things that I need. Sick of Onkyo. It's starting to look at lot like a Yamaha RX-A3010 Christmas.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-28-2011, 06:32 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

Yamaha A3000 does.

MultEQ XT does a better job EQ'ing subwoofers then even the latest and greatest YPAO (based on first hand REW verified experience).

MultEQ XT32 all the way. At his price range (3-4k) I'm suprised no one has suggested seperates such as an Integra pre/pro and a outlaw multi-channel amp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-29-2011, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackOften View Post

MultEQ XT does a better job EQ'ing subwoofers then even the latest and greatest YPAO (based on first hand REW verified experience).

MultEQ XT32 all the way. At his price range (3-4k) I'm suprised no one has suggested seperates such as an Integra pre/pro and a outlaw multi-channel amp.

JackOften: can you point me to where I can learn more about separates? I need 5-6 HDMI inputs, 2 outputs, and I want lots of power to drive both my home theater and my analog system (turntable). I don't know where to start learning about how to combine pre-amp with amp, etc. Advice would be much-appreciated. But isn't Integra=Onkyo? I have had very bad recent service experience with Onkyo. Thanks.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page