Rotel RSP-1069 won't turn on - AVS Forum
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Rotel RSP-1069 won't turn on
Design4's Avatar Design4 07:34 PM 12-04-2011
Hey guys,

I bought a Rotel RSP-1069 second hand a few months ago and just recently decided to upgrade the software. The main upgrade went fine and the unit worked perfectly after that. Today, however, after upgrading the scaler software the unit refuses to turn on

I followed the exact instructions from the pdf and everything seemed to go fine. However, after switching the unit off like it said in the instructions I cannot get it to turn on again. There is no light or anything

What should I do now? I don't think the unit is still covered under warranty

Design4's Avatar Design4 08:26 PM 12-05-2011
Anyone? I emailed Rotel already but haven't gotten a response yet

I paid a decent amount of money for this thing and I'm ticked that a simple upgrade could cause the thing to just flat out fail. This was a $2000+ processor when it came out. Could be a blown fuse maybe? Although I can't see why that would have happened

Has anyone dealt with Rotel without the warranty? It hasn't yet been 5 years but I'm the second owner and I know it's supposedly not transferable which is kind of ridiculous if you ask me. Are they going to make me eat the whole cost of repairing it?
sleepydvdr's Avatar sleepydvdr 11:16 AM 12-19-2011
Someone else had the exact same thing happen to them on this forum. Same firmware update, same lockup, he emailed the company and never got any responses.

I thought Rotel was supposed to be a good company. I was considering buying this model. But if they put out bad firmware and leave their customers out in the cold, I think I might have to take them out of my consideration.
Design4's Avatar Design4 09:54 PM 12-22-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

Someone else had the exact same thing happen to them on this forum. Same firmware update, same lockup, he emailed the company and never got any responses.

I thought Rotel was supposed to be a good company. I was considering buying this model. But if they put out bad firmware and leave their customers out in the cold, I think I might have to take them out of my consideration.

Just saw your response. I still haven't got it to work. Rotel eventually got back to me but I had to email them twice. Basically told me to try the force upgrade method, but I had already tried that and the unit didn't respond.

Of course they aren't going to cover the repairs as expected since I'm not the original owner. Basically told me to either send it back to them or bring it to a service center. I'm guessing the repair is going to cost anywhere from $200-$500. I already replaced the processor, so I'm not even sure I will send it back. Not worth the money

The only reason I was upgrading it in the first place was because the HDMI scaler was giving me issues. Now I'm stuck with a deadweight through absolutely no fault of my own. Not sure I will be buying anymore Rotel products
MrBobb's Avatar MrBobb 03:38 PM 12-23-2011
Try to "downgrade" it to the previous, at least it should fire up.

Don't get me started it about "upgradable" hardware. Nice in theory, but %&*& in practice.
Design4's Avatar Design4 02:01 PM 12-25-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

Try to "downgrade" it to the previous, at least it should fire up.

Don't get me started it about "upgradable" hardware. Nice in theory, but %&*& in practice.

Hey,

How would I go about doing that if it doesn't power on? I'm not sure it's plausible at this point
MrBobb's Avatar MrBobb 07:58 AM 12-26-2011
Try to find out where is the firmware kept. If the "chip" is not soldered, u maybe able to pull it and try to replicate from a known-to-be-good chip on your PC. So yeah, major geekness required.
Up
Mobile  Desktop