How to build a "future proof" budget system? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 12-07-2011, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

Poor college student checking in that would like to build a fully capable surround system on a budget.

I am by no means an audiophile, but I would like a decent system that is somewhat future proof (relatively speaking).

What I am seeking from you experts on here is what brands should I look into, what are some requirements as far as hookups, in-puts, out-puts, etc.

All I would need is a simple 5.1 system, but would prefer 7.1 (future proofing reasons)

Obviously I need all the components; receiver, sub, and speakers.

I currently have the Sony BDP-S580 3D Blu-ray player

You may be wondering why I need a "future proof" budget system, well honest answer is I really want a decent system, but I won't be able to afford a good one for about 10 years the way things are looking.

If at all possible I would want this to land in the $300-$600 range.

thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-07-2011, 10:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Future proof? Like will you move into a big house? Because there's no way in a $600 budget you can squeeze in 7 speakers, a subwoofer, an receiver that will do anything other than a small living room system with small speakers.

Even the cheapest 7.1 receiver at the very least would run you $400. If you want to drop to 5.1 you can get down to $200. But assuming you have to get 7.1, then...

You could do something like an Onkyo 7.1 609 receiver ($376.97) + a Fluance 5.1 HT ($199.99) + 2 side surrounds ($59.98) and a Dayton 8" subwoofer ($69) and this is $705.94 pre-tax, pre-shipping without cables or wires.

I don't even think this is really a good system, but this is the best I can come up with on a limited budget.

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR609...3327155&sr=1-2

http://www.fluance.com/fluanceavhtb.html

http://www.fluance.com/flavsusosisp.html

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=300-631

Anything less is a home theater in a box system that would "future proof" maybe 10x12 living room.
post #3 of 20 Old 12-07-2011, 11:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
With that kind of budget you are looking at something to hold u over. Future-proofing? Better hit the books in the hope that after u graduate, u will be making the big bucks then and chuck your current system entirely for something truly outstanding.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #4 of 20 Old 12-08-2011, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by newby89 View Post

Hello,

Poor college student checking in that would like to build a fully capable surround system on a budget.

I am by no means an audiophile, but I would like a decent system that is somewhat future proof (relatively speaking).

What I am seeking from you experts on here is what brands should I look into, what are some requirements as far as hookups, in-puts, out-puts, etc.

All I would need is a simple 5.1 system, but would prefer 7.1 (future proofing reasons)

Obviously I need all the components; receiver, sub, and speakers.

I currently have the Sony BDP-S580 3D Blu-ray player

You may be wondering why I need a "future proof" budget system, well honest answer is I really want a decent system, but I won't be able to afford a good one for about 10 years the way things are looking.

If at all possible I would want this to land in the $300-$600 range.

thanks guys.

For $600 you can buy a basic, complete 5.1 system. Nothing fancy, but a big improvement over a HTIB.

However, I think you have a pretty tough to meet price point for a "future proof" system for 10 years.
post #5 of 20 Old 12-08-2011, 04:40 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 1339
Check out Accessories4Less where you can get a few different refurbished setups including the Denon 591BA 5.1 for well inside your budget. It includes preouts to add 2 rear surround speakers should you decide to go to 7.1 in the future.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6 of 20 Old 12-08-2011, 05:44 AM

Forget future proofing for 10 years later. But you could pick up some decent parts second hand and slowly build a good enough system.

Plenty of people with upgrade-itus or increased budgets that want to move up. Talking about parts that are 2/3 yrs old

Try some reasonably good speakers first, am sure there plenty of subs out there from people that have gone bigger. Receiver depending on what you want if you have analog in and a blu ray with analog out you could still get Dolby true hd for example.

Upgrade the parts as you come into better money
post #7 of 20 Old 12-08-2011, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. Like I said, I would like a 7.1 system, but if thats not feasible than its not feasible. Id much rather have more quality in a 5.1 than a sub par 7.1.

What sort of receiver would allow me to go 5.1 right now and 7.1 down the road a year or two?

Here is the list of outputs on my BD player FWIW:
* HDMI Output(s) : 1 (Rear)
* Composite Video Output(s) : 1 (Rear)
* Component Video Output(s) : 1 (Rear)
* Digital Audio Output(s) : 1 (Rear)
* USB Input(s) : 2 (1 Rear/ 1 Front)
* Ethernet Connection(s) : 1 (Rear)
* Analog Audio 2ch Output(s) : 1 (Rear)
post #8 of 20 Old 12-08-2011, 09:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
10 years in AV is too far ahead to predict what will happen to determine what to buy now. Fortunately, a lot of stuff remains legacy for awhile that your current system will at least work (providing it's well built, that's another iffy thing in this day and age.)

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #9 of 20 Old 12-08-2011, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

10 years in AV is too far ahead to predict what will happen to determine what to buy now. Fortunately, a lot of stuff remains legacy for awhile that your current system will at least work (providing it's well built, that's another iffy thing in this day and age.)

Well put, thats what I was trying to get at with the term "future Proof"
post #10 of 20 Old 12-08-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

"Future Proofing" is really a stupid term, the guy who invented it should be shot.

But u can future-proof somewhat by going separates. Audio amplifiers haven't changed that much since the vacuum tubes. Go separates, buy the (power) amplifiers you really like and ur set in that department for a loooong time. Separates however ain't for the one with a budget. Same thing for speakers. The box that seems to change over time is the "switcher" or the preamp, or the control amplifier which incorporates the "smarts" of the entire system.

post #11 of 20 Old 12-08-2011, 12:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
Quote:

I wouldn't sweat much, then. Many entry level AVRs are 7.1 now, and HDMI should be around for awhile. Even if something new comes out four years from now, it won't degrade the quality of what you have now. Plenty of people still use Dolby Digital even though TrueHD is out.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #12 of 20 Old 12-08-2011, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 261
This is a simple question with a simple answer. Go look at what falls into the price point you're looking at and has the features you want. Buy it and enjoy it. But the big key is, NEVER COME BACK TO AN AV FORUM AGAIN. In fact, never look at a HT publication or enthuasist board again. Because even if you buy your dream system, you'll quickly find out it is flawed or outdated and all the fun you were having living the dream will be quickly irradicated. Seriously, find something you like and enjoy it, don't worry about what everyone else is continuously going on and on about in these forums or you'll never find true happiness in A/V equipment.

Contributing Editor/Writer
Sound And Vision Magazine

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #13 of 20 Old 12-08-2011, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:

So it's easy. Travel forward in time 10 years, see what the systems/connections/media are that are available and in vogue then, and come back to now to purchase the most compatible thing you can find . . . .

The nice thing about getting equipment that is decent up front is that you'll still have your decent equipoment, potentially, in 10 years and it'll all work together still regardless of whatever newfangled (all our movies and music in the cloud? no hard copies allowed?) stuff comes up.

Ten years is at least a couple of generations past whatever's bleeding edge now, and you'll not be purchasing bleeding edge tech on a budget. Get something you like. It'll last a long time. Enjoy what you have.
post #14 of 20 Old 12-08-2011, 02:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
heck, it's impossible to build even a "nonbudget" future proof system...

but good speakers have been known to last awhile... at least until the user gets the inevitable case of upgrade-itis...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #15 of 20 Old 12-08-2011, 03:56 PM

You may want to look at used equipment with your budget. I'd personally start with a decent set of speakers and subwoofer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

This is a simple question with a simple answer. Go look at what falls into the price point you're looking at and has the features you want. Buy it and enjoy it. But the big key is, NEVER COME BACK TO AN AV FORUM AGAIN. In fact, never look at a HT publication or enthuasist board again. Because even if you buy your dream system, you'll quickly find out it is flawed or outdated and all the fun you were having living the dream will be quickly irradicated. Seriously, find something you like and enjoy it, don't worry about what everyone else is continuously going on and on about in these forums or you'll never find true happiness in A/V equipment.

Great post...

I've had the the same Harman Kardon AV receiver, Klipsch speakers and subwoofer for almost 10 years now. The only reason I'm poking my head around here again lately is because I'm considering a new AV receiver and doing some research.

"If you know everything, you must be misinformed"
^ old Japanese proverb ^
post #16 of 20 Old 12-08-2011, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for replies everyone. After reading everything and doing some research, I think I am going to hold off until I can afford what I really want, and maybe just buy a packaged deal off of accessories4less that I treat as a disposable for about $250...That should tide me over for some time (as I have no surround sound right now)
post #17 of 20 Old 12-11-2011, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 356
Quote:

Great advice.

post #18 of 20 Old 12-11-2011, 03:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:

where's the fun in that?

seriously though, that's good advice...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #19 of 20 Old 12-11-2011, 04:15 PM

Quote:

lol, this. Seems with home theaters, as with any hobby, the issue is that the owner catches "the bug," long before the equipment is actually outdated.
post #20 of 20 Old 12-11-2011, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

If I was still school, I'd spend that money in a pair of really bit*ing earphones instead.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page