Onkyo Network Remote API - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #31 of 56 Old 06-23-2012, 05:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I have just purchased Onkyo TX-NR717 receiver and have a question if anybody could send me please a program to control the receiver from a PC computer? The program doesn't have to be fully completed. Sometime ago I developed several small applications in Java and also in C#, but I hope I wouldn't have to develop the above-mentioned program from scratch. My email is: marek_b (AT) aster dot pl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 Old 06-23-2012, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenik View Post

Hi, I have just purchased Onkyo TX-NR717 receiver and have a question if anybody could send me please a program to control the receiver from a PC computer? The program doesn't have to be fully completed. Sometime ago I developed several small applications in Java and also in C#, but I hope I wouldn't have to develop the above-mentioned program from scratch. My email is: marek_b (AT) aster dot pl

Just look up a program called "nrcontrol" it should do what you want.
post #33 of 56 Old 09-03-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

Where to begin?

You get a lot of info here, it's a "cheater message" that is designed to help out Onkyo's app.

You have several fields, they correspond to the contents of the network GUI screen on the TV. I'm nowhere near my setup now, but this is what I remember and it should get you going:

First byte is: the network source type

Second byte is: menu depth (how far you dug down)

3rd,4th byte: selected item from list

5th, 6th: total items in list

2nd to last byte: network icon for net GUI

Last byte: always 00

Any characters following that byte are the title for the net GUI

Just bring up the net menus on the TV, then navigate and watch the messages and the screen carefully. You'll get it eventually.

Many thanks for this rworne, saved me a lot of time. I am working on a small ruby module to control the onkyo from the command line. You can find it on github:
https://github.com/kliron/OnkyoEiscp

Right now it seems the only thing telling the client that it has reached the maximum depth is when the second byte from the NLT response is "22" (and there is no string after the last byte) as in !1NLT0022000000000000040000. What happens if for example a DLNA folder is more than 22 subfolders deep?
post #34 of 56 Old 09-19-2012, 05:55 AM

Liked: 12
Hello,
Very happy to stumble upon this thread, lots of interesting info.
As an owner of NR-818 I'm really interested if command reference for 2012 models has already slipped to internet (latest i was able to find is v1.21)?
Looking through v1.21 I've noticed that there is an option to control connected devices via RIHD (CEC). For some reason in v1.21 RIHD options are limited to controlling only DVD player. This gave me slight hope that I could use my NR-818 as huge serial-to-CEC or ethernet-to-CEC to power on/off my Samsung tv that lacks serial or ethernet ports.
So my second question:
Did anyone experiment with ISCP to control connected devices via CEC? I would be especially interested in controlling devices that are not specifically listed as RIHD compatible (like Samsung).
Thanks.
post #35 of 56 Old 09-19-2012, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dums View Post

Hello,
Very happy to stumble upon this thread, lots of interesting info.
As an owner of NR-818 I'm really interested if command reference for 2012 models has already slipped to internet (latest i was able to find is v1.21)?
Looking through v1.21 I've noticed that there is an option to control connected devices via RIHD (CEC). For some reason in v1.21 RIHD options are limited to controlling only DVD player. This gave me slight hope that I could use my NR-818 as huge serial-to-CEC or ethernet-to-CEC to power on/off my Samsung tv that lacks serial or ethernet ports.
So my second question:
Did anyone experiment with ISCP to control connected devices via CEC? I would be especially interested in controlling devices that are not specifically listed as RIHD compatible (like Samsung).
Thanks.

The latest is v1.24. You can get a copy from the mods at Onkyo USA's support forum.

I've done some experiments with my app and BD control works fine. TV control doesn't work with any of my TVs, but Onkyo's documents say only Toshiba and Sharp TVs will work.
post #36 of 56 Old 09-19-2012, 11:08 AM

I've done som RIHD on my ps3, where specifically could i get the v1.24?
post #37 of 56 Old 09-20-2012, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rworne View Post

The latest is v1.24. You can get a copy from the mods at Onkyo USA's support forum.
Thanks. I've dropped an email to onkyoadmin AT us.onkyo.com, Will see if they'll respond.
And after trying onkyo official app I sincerely hope that your app will eventually be ported to android frown.gif
post #38 of 56 Old 09-22-2012, 12:01 PM

Ok, nice guys from support forum have sent me v1.23 documentation. Unfortunately while I was able to control volume etc I failed to power on/off my samsung lcd via cec. According to v.1.23 of documentation Onkyo AVR sends:

Power ON: \x44\0x6D
Power OFF: \x44\0x6C

After some googling for samsung CEC codes I think correct sequences for samsung are :

Power ON: \x40\x0D
Power OFF: \x40\x36

So if anyone finds any undocumented way to send deliberate CEC codes via HDMI, plase let us all know.
post #39 of 56 Old 01-07-2013, 01:04 PM

OK, so here is what i have found so far...

There are three remote apps for Windows:

OyRemote Its not that great looking, but it does connect to my reciever and i was able to play one of the "Favorites" already stored in the system.
http://www.krautsourced.com/software/oyremote/

NCRemote Pretty User Interface, but doesnt seem to work properly (mainly testing the internet radio functionality)
http://avrnet.wordpress.com/

OnkyoControl (does not work with my TXNR609)
http://onkyocontrol.zwo.dk/download/

Does anyone have a better solution than any of these three for controlling my Onkyo receiver using a windows PC?
post #40 of 56 Old 01-23-2013, 07:25 AM

Liked: 13
Hi,

i published a new remote app for onkyo receiver on codeplex.
http://nonkyo.codeplex.com/
If there is interest i will continue to develop.

I can only test the application with my TX-NR509.
I would be pleased, if someone can test the application with another receiver.

Feedback on codeplex or here.
CiroIp likes this.
post #41 of 56 Old 01-23-2013, 11:26 AM

Hi, thanks for sharing this great application! I have just tested it with my TX-NR717 receiver and so far the application works correctly with TX-NR717.
post #42 of 56 Old 01-25-2013, 11:29 AM

Hi, here is a movie presenting my approach to develop an application for Onkyo receiver:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XJqNS7KOsU
I use it with my TX-NR717 receiver.
I will probably share this application as soon as I develop licence (as freeware or less likely - commercial).
post #43 of 56 Old 02-20-2013, 01:27 PM

A new version of NRcontrol has been posted here
http://avrnet.wordpress.com/
post #44 of 56 Old 04-08-2013, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 485
Just posting to express interest as I just pulled the trigger on an 818.

I stumbled on this Python project (I love Python so I'll certainly have a look at it soon):
https://github.com/miracle2k/onkyo-eiscp
Last commit was in January so it's probably not dead. But it looks like it's based on version 1.21 of the protocol.

post #45 of 56 Old 04-08-2013, 01:34 PM

I've been playing around with that. Bearing in mind that I'm just stumbling along with Python, I did look at updating the commands to 1.24. He seems to use a program to parse the Excel spreadsheet into yaml. Then he parses that into a Python module. His spreadsheet parser stubs it's toe pretty badly when you try to include the "net usb" sheet. I must admit I probably wouldn't have done it that way, but you'll have to look at it and see what you think.
post #46 of 56 Old 04-08-2013, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow... on one hand I'd hate to enter those commands by hand... on the other, I've never seen it done this way smile.gif
I'm no pro either and I'm not sure I'll be able to do development with this any time soon, but having just invested big bucks (for me) in the 818, I'd like to keep my options open as for control.

post #47 of 56 Old 04-08-2013, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinBack23 View Post

Hi,

I'm glad that you mentioned this. I've been trying it out and it's the first thing that I've found that actually seems functional. There's a lot more it could do, but it works the way it is. Thanks.
post #48 of 56 Old 04-12-2013, 11:44 AM

I have downloaded the app and will test with my receiver TX-NR515. Will let you know.
post #49 of 56 Old 04-20-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:

Hi,

Pretty neat interface. I am using it on my TX-NR609 and seems like it is working really well. I could find the menu items under NET, including Spotify. I am able to control the playlists, skip tracks, change playlists, etc. Thanks for mentioning this app. I will continue testing it and give any other feedback I can. Can you share the ISCP code for Spotify?
post #50 of 56 Old 04-21-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:

Hi,

I installed your app on my laptop today. I have the Onkyo TX-NR515 receiver. Most of the control options work well for me. I would like to see an option for controlling Zone 2.
I am curious how your program would react if there were 2 networked Onkyo receivers available.

post #51 of 56 Old 04-21-2013, 10:54 AM

Thanks to all who tested NOnkyo.
Actually I haven’t a lot of time to develop further features. But if somebody is interested, I am open for ideas.
@gizmoz
I am glad to hear that Spotify works. There is no special code to control Spotify. I use the ICSP Command “NLS List Info” to show and select the Net Items. I don’t have a Spotify-Account for testing.
@spunkyaz
Sorry I can test zone 2 support. But if I have time in the near future I will looking for zone commands. If you have more than 1 receiver the program should show a list with all receivers on startup. But this behavior I can only simulate.
post #52 of 56 Old 04-23-2013, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks a lot for sharing this. It works pretty well with the 818. I don't have any bug to report, and I'm willing to test features using the 818. For now I only have suggestions for improving the interface, although I understand it might be lots of work if you don't have plenty of time to put in that project.
  • The text below the power button will display "power on" when my receiver is already on, and "power off" when it's off. Not sure if this is the intended behavior (i.e showing the current state of the receiver) or if it's suppose to show what the button would do (in which case it might get the state of the receiver confused). Maybe highlighting the button when the receiver is on, or adding a virtual "on" LED would clear things up.
  • The list only holds 10 items, and one must click on the down arrow to scroll the list. This might be because the GUI replicates some internal state of the receiver but it would be much easier if there was a scrollbar there (e.g. browsing through dozens of DLNA entries).
  • Similarly, I understand the logic of having the controls (top menu, menu, return) in a cluster but having the return button close to the list, or better yet, mapped to a mouse button for example, would allow much faster navigating of the menu tree structure.
  • On the 818 the various inputs are not reported correctly. For example, I have a Game1 and Game2 input but only one Aux input, whereas Nonkyo lists Game, Aux, and Aux2. It also lists an iRadio input which is lacking on the 818. Interestingly, it still works but brings the 818 to the Net -> My Favorites submenu.
  • Volume is reported numerically (0-100) instead of in dB relative to reference. Also, it would be neat to have the volume displayed prominently close to the volume buttons -- this is actually lacking in the Onkyo Remote 2 app.

post #53 of 56 Old 04-28-2013, 05:48 AM

Thanks for you feedback and testing.
  • The text below the power button is in fact the current state. Your suggestion with a highlighting button is really better and I will replace the button.
  • The functions of the buttons top menu, menu and return are the same as that with you remote control (I hope so).
  • You can already select an item in the structure with the mouse. Chose the item with the left button and select it with a double click.
  • The input selectors depends on the receiver model. Actually I show a fixed list. It is no problem to add all items.
  • The iRadio button is a short way to navigate to the “My Favorites” Folder.
  • The limitation of 10 items in the list is not really good. At the moment it represent the output from the receiver. There is probably a way to show the items with an own uPnP browser (post 22 in this thread). I will implement this feature as soon as possible. Now you can use the right or the left button to show the next or the previous 10 items.
  • I will show what I can do with the volume issue.

There are still a lot of commands that I don’t evaluate.
post #54 of 56 Old 07-03-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dums View Post

Thanks. I've dropped an email to onkyoadmin AT us.onkyo.com, Will see if they'll respond.
And after trying onkyo official app I sincerely hope that your app will eventually be ported to android frown.gif

Did you ever get anything beyond the 1.24 API? I have it, but there is no mention of my TX-NR828. However, it appears that all of the TX-NR818 commands work.
post #55 of 56 Old 09-07-2013, 02:33 PM

Thanks for developing the app PinBack23 - have just downloaded it and it works great with my TX-NR414. Some of the input names are slightly off, but it's not a problem as I'm mainly using it for volume and Spotify.

Thanks again!
post #56 of 56 Old 04-25-2014, 09:00 AM

Today I published a new version of NOnkyo.
https://nonkyo.codeplex.com
Grayswandir and hollowel like this.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page