Abysmal Onkyo Integra Service - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 12-21-2011, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had an Integra DHC40.1 for about 10 months, and it went silent back in early November - no sound from any input, including the tuner.

These things happen, so I went through the process of requesting warranty service and sent the unit in.

Integra told the the repair center that the part needed was unavailable, with no date foreseen for it to become available, and the service people requested that a replacement unit be authorized.

The service people are doing what they can. I wish I could say the same for Integra. Over a month has passed, and with the holidays it would be good to be able to have sound with the movies in the media room.

I've called the Onkyo/Integra service line repeatedly, and sent email from the website. So far, over 3 hours on hold, going into their 5pm ET closing time twice, and being disconnected once. Easily the worst service experience I've had in 40+ years of heavy electronics ownership.

The dealer says they are pretty notorious for this, and they would expect another month to go by before I hear from anyone there.

This is (allegedly) a "premium product", but the service really stinks. Out out 11 months of ownership, it's been out for service for over a month, heading toward two.

Newsflash - Another hour on hold just ended with a message that the office was now closed and I should call back! It offers to let you enter your number, but, amazingly, this feature doesn't work - I tried it twice using a landline phone and a cell phone, and it misses digits in when you put in your number.

Word to the wise - Buy Marantz, Anthem, Anybody But Onkyo or Integra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2011, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Weber View Post

I've had an Integra DHC40.1 for about 10 months, and it went silent back in early November - no sound from any input, including the tuner.

These things happen, so I went through the process of requesting warranty service and sent the unit in.

Integra told the the repair center that the part needed was unavailable, with no date foreseen for it to become available, and the service people requested that a replacement unit be authorized.

The service people are doing what they can. I wish I could say the same for Integra. Over a month has passed, and with the holidays it would be good to be able to have sound with the movies in the media room.

I've called the Onkyo/Integra service line repeatedly, and sent email from the website. So far, over 3 hours on hold, going into their 5pm ET closing time twice, and being disconnected once. Easily the worst service experience I've had in 40+ years of heavy electronics ownership.

The dealer says they are pretty notorious for this, and they would expect another month to go by before I hear from anyone there.

This is (allegedly) a "premium product", but the service really stinks. Out out 11 months of ownership, it's been out for service for over a month, heading toward two.

Newsflash - Another hour on hold just ended with a message that the office was now closed and I should call back! It offers to let you enter your number, but, amazingly, this feature doesn't work - I tried it twice using a landline phone and a cell phone, and it misses digits in when you put in your number.

Word to the wise - Buy Marantz, Anthem, Anybody But Onkyo or Integra

Very sad. At one time, I considered an Integra so this infomraiton is good to know.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 117
It is a busy time right now (more than usual) but I do understand your frustration. When something does not work right or at all we want it fixed ASAP.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
Old 12-21-2011, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Nothing quite like warranty service...at least they aren't claiming there's no problem like some PC parts manufacturers do...
Old 12-21-2011, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Pay a premium price for a Integra & get service like this is terrible. The guy is going on two months out of service. Then they wont even answer the phone. What is the best brand to go with??
Old 12-21-2011, 06:29 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowop View Post

Pay a premium price for a Integra & get service like this is terrible. The guy is going on two months out of service. Then they wont even answer the phone. What is the best brand to go with??

This is the norm for current mfgs.. Get used to it!

I guess whatever brand has the best reliability. You cannot rely on their warranties this day in age..

I have a Sherwood brand receiver and their service also sucks in my opinion.

When I pay to send something in to be repaired multiple times, I expect it to be fixed. Not in this day of age. Once these companies have your money you are SOL!
Old 12-21-2011, 07:32 PM

Do not have any problem integra exchange my Integra DHC-80.2 for brand new DHC-80.3.
Probably due to large amount of traffic before hollyday
My friend buy 30.3 receiver and take 2 months for having in her possession.
The problem it is not integra is your dealer did not giving to you a replacement option before the end of repair.
ciao
Old 12-22-2011, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Put the dealer under pressure to produce something to make you, the customer happy!
If he wanted to, I'm sure he could do a number of things to help, but he is taking the easy way out, and throwing Integra under the bus...how nice of him.
Where did you purchase it from?

Espo77
Old 12-22-2011, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I agree with the majority of posters here. It looks like the problem is mostly with your dealer. He should have went directly to his Integra factory rep and requested a replacement unit. If a replacement was not available they should have upgraded to the next level at no additional charge.

I wonder if there isn't some underlying reason that your dealer is treating you so badly. Post his name and address so others will know to avoid doing business with him.

Cheers,
SB
Old 12-22-2011, 07:42 AM
AVS Special Member

...it would be nice to hear the dealers side of the story...there's always two sides to the story.

Espo77
Old 12-22-2011, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Agreed that it would be nice to hear dealers side of the story. I believe for Integra they can do advance exchange within 6 months. Past that point I don't know if they have enough margin to take a loss on the product. We are certainly not talking about a high end product where dealers will be willing to bend over backwards. If I were a dealer I would hesitate to carry Integra line but I certainly would provide the customer with something temporarily until the unit gets fixed.

Vinod
Old 12-22-2011, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

...the dealer could offer a "trade up" deal of some sort, or call his sales rep for service, at the very least.

Espo77
Old 12-22-2011, 08:24 AM

Sorry guys, but the the dealer represents the MFG. It is still the MFGs problem.

They are the ones that select who is an autorized dealer.

If that dealer is not living up to the MFGs standard, then the MFG needs to give them the boot.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by slinkeey View Post

Sorry guys, but the the dealer represents the MFG. It is still the MFGs problem.

They are the ones that select who is an autorized dealer.

If that dealer is not living up to the MFGs standard, then the MFG needs to give them the boot.

Agreed 100%. These two are well known for their service and it's very poor. Dealers also have to deal with them and probably get the same response from them. If I were a dealer these are two brands I would not carry just because of their reputation for service. Too many other brands that are more reliable and offer better service than these two. JMHO, like it or not.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 596
Onkyo is based out of Saddle River, NJ.

18 Park Way
Upper Saddle River, NJ*07458

According to Buisness Week, the phone number there is 201-785-2600.

Now, according to LinkedIn, the National Sales Manager is Joe Petrillo. Odds are he's headquartered out of the above location. While you can express your unhappiness here, I suggest you do the following. First try that number and see if you can speak with him directly. Explain your situation in firm but polite words and ask if he can somehow assist you in your situation. If for some reason you can't reach him perhaps they can direct you to someone who can. Letter writing is also an approach but I'd try the phone first

Good luck!

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
Old 12-22-2011, 09:29 AM

Interesting.

I almost pulled the trigger on a TX-NR809, then started looking at the TX-NR1009, then got intrigued by Intagra DTR-50.3 and 70.3.

Then I started finding many sources of complaints, failures and poor service.

Now instead of Onkyo/Integra leading the pack, they have nearly fallen off the wagon for me.

Back to Yamaha or Denon.

Jerry

ÂExperience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-22-2011, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 240
I'm confused. Is the warranty through Onkyo? or through the dealer who sold you the unit?

If it's through Onkyo, I don't think the dealer is responsible for anything. it's been 10 months.

Otherwise, I agree the dealer should be responsible for doing something.

Anyone who has internet access and does a little research shouldn't be surprised with issues with Onkyo. They've been by far the worst major manufacturer over the last 5 or so years in terms of reliability and it's well documented.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

I'm confused. Is the warranty through Onkyo? or through the dealer who sold you the unit?

If it's through Onkyo, I don't think the dealer is responsible for anything. it's been 10 months.

Otherwise, I agree the dealer should be responsible for doing something.

Anyone who has internet access and does a little research shouldn't be surprised with issues with Onkyo. They've been by far the worst major manufacturer over the last 5 or so years in terms of reliability and it's well documented.

I wonder what the dealer says to new prospects regarding his service.

Espo77
Old 12-22-2011, 10:28 AM

This is laughable. Pull out your warranty card and read the first line: "Onkyo Electronics Co. Ltd warrants this product to be free of defects in parts and manufacture for a period of 2 years from the original date of purchase." No where in there is the name "Newegg" or "Electronics Expo" or "Abt Electronics" or anything.

"But don't you stand behind what you sell"? Why should they? What would your HiFi shop do with a broken receiver that isn't their problem? Write it off and throw it away? I think not.

"The customer is always right!" No they aren't. Get over yourself.

"The Onkyo factory rep should have stepped right up and replaced the receiver!" No, the factory rep is a salesman first and foremost. The service is handled by a different division. Onkyo is in the business of selling, not fixing. One has priority over the other.

The search function of this forum returns several results for crappy Onkyo service. Take heed! Do not think that your experience will be different.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

I'm impressed with how much activity there has been.

That 201 phone number is the one I've been wasting hours on for days.

I have no quarrel with the dealer. It's small shop in SF and they don't do repairs or have lots of room for lenders. As pointed out, the warranty is from Onkyo. The service center is OK too, they are responsive, and have been asked Onkyo to send me a replacement unit, also getting no response.

I suspect that some time around Feb, a replacement will show up, and that will be the last piece of Onkyo or Integra gear I own.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Who are you connecting with on that 201 number?

"I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - Gregory House
Old 12-22-2011, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
My $899 onkyo bit the dust 15 months after purchase back in 2005. I'll tell you how crappy their cs is... After spending a month contacting a human being being, the first thing he asked was my purchase date... I was coming up close on the 2 yr mark on warranty coverage . My entire audio out section of the avr went out... They walked me through several trouble shooting techniques before stating the unit needs to be sent in. He advised me I would be getting a call from someone at the rma dept. That call never came and I spent months tracking someone down... On month 24 of ownership, I received a call and was told my unit was now out of warranty... And service would not be done via warranty. I came unglued at this point..

I promptly replaced the unit with a Yamaha and never looked back. I did sent back my unit to onkyo packed inside the yamaha avr box.... Inside there was a nasty note I wrote.. I will admit, before I packed the unit, I made a few cosmetic enhancements with my sledge hammer... I carted the package off and shipped it via ups.

About 2 months later I received a letter from onkyo stating my unit was damaged in shipping for rma replacement. I never received an rma number and I never heard back from them again.

I've done the same previously with a Epsom printer when I replaced it with a new canon pixma in 2006 but at least Epsom was kind of enough to send me a new printer due to me smashing it in pieces before boxing it up.

Bottom line is, this isn't surprising to hear onkyo still has the sme terrible service. I am on my second Yamaha receiver and couldn't be happier with the yammys. Although I've had no equipment failures on the Yamaha units, things I have called about were taken care of promptly and above expectation. Albeit Denon stands behind their products as well.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:36 PM

Venomous,

Sounds like what Sherwood may possibly be doing with me..

They stopped replying to my emails. Kind of funny that I am 2 monthes away from the warranty ending.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by slinkeey View Post

Venomous,

Sounds like what Sherwood may possibly be doing with me..

They stopped replying to my emails. Kind of funny that I am 2 monthes away from the warranty ending.

No problem, other than being out of something you paid well earned money to get. Just remember this fact whenever its time to get another. Until further notice I would also avoid Onkyo for a while. Also since Onkyo/Integra are one and the same turn your back on them also. Don't know if their customer service will ever improve. With them its a toss up if you get something that's going to have any longevity to it. When they work as supposed to they are very good. It's when you have to deal with their idiots in CS that you get the weenie from them. Not worth it IMO. Too many really good AVR's out there to deal with that garbage.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

A real long shot, but Onkyo does do twitter. Maybe link to this thread?

Old 12-22-2011, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

I tried the company name directory for PET, and it says there is no one with a last name beginning with those letters.

I tried a few random names, with no success, and went back to "hold for warranty service" for a while. Then gave up.

The dealer and service shop both have the URL for this thread, and are sending to their reps, but it seems like their lousy service is not news in forums like this, and they don't care.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Did you try just dialing "0" at the voice prompts?

Old 12-22-2011, 01:09 PM

Back when I was teaching SCUBA and running my own training and equipment business, my phylosophy was that the customer never be inconvenienced.

If someone brought in a regulator that was in need of repair, they walked out with a 'loaner' if I could not fix it right there.

If it was a warranty issue, I would either loan them another item of equal or GREATER value, or replace it on the spot, while I dealt with the manufacturer.

Even people that had not purchased items from me, I would gladly provide them with 'loaner' gear while I dealt with their manufacturer.

Didn't matter if it was a $50 flashlight, $600 BCD, $1,200 regulator or $2,000 dive computer.

That is how a 'dealer' should 'deal' with the situation.

Guess I'm just 'old school'.

Thank God.

Jerry

ÂExperience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. Thomas Jefferson
Old 12-22-2011, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbichsel View Post

Back when I was teaching SCUBA and running my own training and equipment business, my phylosophy was that the customer never be inconvenienced.

If someone brought in a regulator that was in need of repair, they walked out with a 'loaner' if I could not fix it right there.

If it was a warranty issue, I would either loan them another item of equal or GREATER value, or replace it on the spot, while I dealt with the manufacturer.

Even people that had not purchased items from me, I would gladly provide them with 'loaner' gear while I dealt with their manufacturer.

Didn't matter if it was a $50 flashlight, $600 BCD, $1,200 regulator or $2,000 dive computer.

That is how a 'dealer' should 'deal' with the situation.

Guess I'm just 'old school'.

Thank God.

Seams to be the right thing to do, in any kind of economy.

Espo77
Old 12-22-2011, 02:28 PM

Even if you loan out a better one while the customer's is getting repaired, you might gain a sale if the customer falls in love with the loaner..