Bryston SP3 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 38 Old 07-10-2012, 06:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I may be behind the times here, but isn't ADA supposed to have an internal Trinnov RC option soon? I would certainly wait until that became available before I'd review it. Word is that tyhe ADA is killer for HT, no so much so for music. The new Theta Casablanca with Extreme Dacs should be a showstopper, although now we're into the 15k-20k range. Still waiting for someone to bridge the RC gap between the Integra $3k 80.3 (Aud XT32) and the $12k Mcintosh mx150 (Lyngdorf Room Perfect).

Kal, I know the Bryston swayed you, but if you had an untreated room (that had to stay untreated), would you still go for it, as opposed to at least the Classe SSP800 or Krell S1200 that have manual EQ to try to tame the room? Is it that good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 07-10-2012, 07:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffkad View Post

I may be behind the times here, but isn't ADA supposed to have an internal Trinnov RC option soon? I would certainly wait until that became available before I'd review it. Word is that tyhe ADA is killer for HT, no so much so for music. The new Theta Casablanca with Extreme Dacs should be a showstopper, although now we're into the 15k-20k range. Still waiting for someone to bridge the RC gap between the Integra $3k 80.3 (Aud XT32) and the $12k Mcintosh mx150 (Lyngdorf Room Perfect).
Kal, I know the Bryston swayed you, but if you had an untreated room (that had to stay untreated), would you still go for it, as opposed to at least the Classe SSP800 or Krell S1200 that have manual EQ to try to tame the room? Is it that good?

The ADA has the internal Trinnov processing now. 

As for your question, I cannot really answer it because I would not tolerate a completely untreated room.  I used the SP3 in a room that has two large bass corner traps and there are 2 absorbent panels on the wall behind the front speakers. It also has lots of soft cushion-y furniture and an oriental carpet. I used an EQ on the sub anyway.   

In a completely untreated and acoustically inhospitable room, none of these will be adequate although they will moderate the horrors, imho.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #33 of 38 Old 07-10-2012, 10:38 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

The ADA has the internal Trinnov processing now. 

Ah, OK, wasn't sure. Now THAT should be a very interesting piece to test. Looking forward to your review, should you ever get hold of one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

As for your question, I cannot really answer it because I would not tolerate a completely untreated room.  I used the SP3 in a room that has two large bass corner traps and there are 2 absorbent panels on the wall behind the front speakers. It also has lots of soft cushion-y furniture and an oriental carpet. I used an EQ on the sub anyway.   

In a completely untreated and acoustically inhospitable room, none of these will be adequate although they will moderate the horrors, imho.

Clearly my question about an untreated environment was a thinly veiled description of my own room, lol, although I honestly don't know just how sonically inhospitable it really is (never done measurements). I do at least have some EQ on the sub (Velodyne Optimum 12). As for your comment about moderating the horrors, were you speaking of all three units, or only the units with EQ (Classe and Krell)? I assume the latter, as I would not understand how the Bryston could accomplish any sort of amelioration of room conditions sans EQ.
post #34 of 38 Old 08-01-2012, 09:12 PM

Liked: 10
Has anyone had any issues with the Bryston SP3 as far as HDMI goes such as delays in playing music missing the first few seconds or any pops.
post #35 of 38 Old 08-25-2012, 05:20 PM

Thanks for the very detailed analytical reviews and discussion.

Can I please ask that (rather than duplicate posting) if you could look at my very recent post here and assist me:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1426153/replacement-for-meridian-g68

Thank you.

Darryl
post #36 of 38 Old 01-16-2013, 08:33 AM

I'm a 1.7 owner and for many reasons the 1.7 has fallen short by today’s digital demands. The thing that has bothered me the most is I was promised an upgrade path for future formats. Well that didn't happen.

I really like the sound of the 1.7 and have figured out ways to make it work. I watch my movies from a HTPC and use the 5.1 analog input although I have a 6.1 configuration. I use an Asus xonar hdav 1.3 deluxe and it is spec-ed to decode DDTHD and DTSMA and pass 24bit/192 audio to the analgs.

A couple of years ago I demo-ed a Marantz 803 (I think) at my house. Audyssey and being able to use an hdmi input was very cool but at the end of the day I liked how the 1.7 over the analogs sounded better.

When I bought mine it came with the full 20 year warranty and I still have 10 years left. They would have to give me a pretty good deal with the trade for me to want to upgrade
post #37 of 38 Old 05-31-2013, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
DRC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I have a question for all SP3 owners that have used their SP3 in 2 channel bypass and feeding it an analogue signal from a phono preamp. I have identified an issue that has been confirmed by Bryston and will be corrected. Unfortunately in my case it was a little late because I blew a driver in my Usher's.
The issue is a large transient "popping" when the SP3 receives a signal from a phono stage that might be higher than 2 volts. Although the SP3 is supposed to be able to accept up to 4 volts in 2 channel bypass it has an issue in handling anything approaching its maximum.
The suggested work around is to run in "stereo" versus 2 channel bypass. "Stereo" is not 2 channel bypass and does not sound anywhere close to pure analogue 2 channel bypass.
In my case I have a an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze with a .4 mV output. It feeds either an EAR 834P or a Parasound JC3. Each has a 68 dB gain for MC. At 1000 hz this would produce a 1 volt signal.
I have had the EAR for over 10 years. In fact I had the same front end going into an SP1.7 before the SP3 as well as Proceed, Levinson, Arcam etc and never had an issue.
I have had the SP3 since December 2011 and posted many rave reviews including one on this forum. I did not experience this issue for the first 6 months. In fact for the first few months I was trying to find the source of my loud transient popping I ruled out the SP3 and looked at everything else in the signal chain. It was only when I sent the SP3 back to Bryston that we confirmed this is an issue with the SP3 in 2 channel bypass. I sent the EAR to them and they used it on other SP3's in stock and had the same result. Although they said the gain in the EAR was high they did confirm that the SP3 should not behave they way it does.
When I went back and looked at all the published reviews from Stereophile, Widescreen Review, Home Cinema Choice, Inner Ear none of them used the SP3 with a phono based source. Only Home Theater (Fred Manteghiam) tested with a phono front end. The review did not mention any details on the source components.
This is why I am reaching out to other SP3 owners that have a phono front end to see if anyone else has experienced this symptom.

Thanks
post #38 of 38 Old 03-10-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post

I have a question for all SP3 owners that have used their SP3 in 2 channel bypass and feeding it an analogue signal from a phono preamp. I have identified an issue that has been confirmed by Bryston and will be corrected. Unfortunately in my case it was a little late because I blew a driver in my Usher's.
The issue is a large transient "popping" when the SP3 receives a signal from a phono stage that might be higher than 2 volts. Although the SP3 is supposed to be able to accept up to 4 volts in 2 channel bypass it has an issue in handling anything approaching its maximum.
The suggested work around is to run in "stereo" versus 2 channel bypass. "Stereo" is not 2 channel bypass and does not sound anywhere close to pure analogue 2 channel bypass.
In my case I have a an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze with a .4 mV output. It feeds either an EAR 834P or a Parasound JC3. Each has a 68 dB gain for MC. At 1000 hz this would produce a 1 volt signal.
I have had the EAR for over 10 years. In fact I had the same front end going into an SP1.7 before the SP3 as well as Proceed, Levinson, Arcam etc and never had an issue.
I have had the SP3 since December 2011 and posted many rave reviews including one on this forum. I did not experience this issue for the first 6 months. In fact for the first few months I was trying to find the source of my loud transient popping I ruled out the SP3 and looked at everything else in the signal chain. It was only when I sent the SP3 back to Bryston that we confirmed this is an issue with the SP3 in 2 channel bypass. I sent the EAR to them and they used it on other SP3's in stock and had the same result. Although they said the gain in the EAR was high they did confirm that the SP3 should not behave they way it does.
When I went back and looked at all the published reviews from Stereophile, Widescreen Review, Home Cinema Choice, Inner Ear none of them used the SP3 with a phono based source. Only Home Theater (Fred Manteghiam) tested with a phono front end. The review did not mention any details on the source components.
This is why I am reaching out to other SP3 owners that have a phono front end to see if anyone else has experienced this symptom.

Thanks

You should post this on "The Official Brystoon SP3 Thread." It gets far more traffic, you're more likely to get a responsee.

I don't use mine in bypass or with a phono stage, so I can'y help. Good luck.

Dave

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page