Hanna is Killing my Yamaha DSP Z7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 12-24-2011, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I have a one year old Yamaha DSP Z7. It had a problem two months ago where it was shutting on and off. It was repaired at a service centre. The power switch needed to be soldered.

Since then it has worked fine. I play a lot of blu ray concerts quite loud -5 db, with no problems whatsoever.

However, there is one scene in the movie Hanna where there is an incredible amount of dynamic sound that always shuts the receiver off. Not at really loud levels -10 db. I called Yamaha and they said the unit is going into protection mode.

Does this sound like a properly working receiver ? May be time for an Emotiva XPA 3 ?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-24-2011, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had a similar problem with my RX-Z9. The fault was that one of the speaker output boards was not keeping a good connection to the chassis ground. Tightening the screws on the rear panel solved the problem(actually ended up replacing one of them with a longer screw). This problem haunted me for almost three years and I also had it to an authorized service center where they could not figure out the problem but switched out one of the speaker output boards but obviously this did not solve the problem. Could be a similar issue is the one of the high current circuits losing ground.

It's worth a shot.

EJ

RX-Z9 to KHORNS/SVS & FULL HERITAGE 8.3 HT Setup

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it
post #3 of 16 Old 12-24-2011, 11:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked: 114
I would guess the problem is of a technical nature. The Emo might help, if there's a problem with one of the channels, and using Emp as an amp effectively replaced that amp channel. But it's maybe better to figure out what's wrong before spending money.

I think a problem like this needs detective work. If you can isolate it to one speaker, you then only need to figure out if it's the speaker or receiver (by switching to a different speaker on that channel.)

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #4 of 16 Old 12-24-2011, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlivingstone View Post

Hi,

I have a one year old Yamaha DSP Z7. It had a problem two months ago where it was shutting on and off. It was repaired at a service centre. The power switch needed to be soldered.

Since then it has worked fine. I play a lot of blu ray concerts quite loud -5 db, with no problems whatsoever.

However, there is one scene in the movie Hanna where there is an incredible amount of dynamic sound that always shuts the receiver off. Not at really loud levels -10 db. I called Yamaha and they said the unit is going into protection mode.

Does this sound like a properly working receiver ? May be time for an Emotiva XPA 3 ?

Thank you.

Where is it in the movie exactly? I'm curious to see if it does the same thing to my RX-A3000 or RX-Z11.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-24-2011, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Hi,

The scene is when Hanna is in the holding cell, snaps the agent's neck and begins shooting out the cameras.

Thanks everyone.

Brian
post #6 of 16 Old 12-24-2011, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry, I've never seen the film. If you find out when in the movie it is I can test it out.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-24-2011, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Saw the movie via marantz sr8002 and did not have any such problems.Maybe there is a tech. problem.
post #8 of 16 Old 12-24-2011, 06:02 PM

Liked: 13
It's in Hanna's genes.
post #9 of 16 Old 12-24-2011, 07:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 68
A blown tweeter can cause this behavior, too.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #10 of 16 Old 12-24-2011, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Have you checked to ensure all wiring is proper, nothing touching the chassis, and all that? I've seen quite a few threads of a similar nature (high output level and the AVR chokes, when it should not) and the problem is usually this. Also check what erikjohn suggested.

I don't have the movie to test out myself, but I've never actually put an AVR (even much lesser AVRs than the Z7) into protection with a movie; shorts, bad speakers, shot wires, AC line issues, bad power bars, etc - no problem, but with a movie, never. I'd put the movie in a black box and look at downstream connections. Does the Z7 choke if you're running in stereo, for example? What about other movies with very large peak demands (lets say, War of the Worlds, Heat (at least on LD; never seen it on DVD or Blu-ray), etc)? Tried re-wiring the speakers? Made sure the plastic bits around the lugs are intact? etc
post #11 of 16 Old 12-24-2011, 10:20 PM
Advanced Member

Why can't they make Rosie O'donnel a secret agent, I can believe her snapping necks.
Instead we get Hanna and agent Evelyn Salt, 125 lbs between the two of them and they both snap necks at will.

Anyway, about the yamaha, what kind and what impedance speakers are you running? Also, does the 27 have an impedance setting and what is it set to?
post #12 of 16 Old 01-01-2012, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Here is the latest on my receiver, which apart from the one scene in Hanna works quite well.

It is New Years Eve, my kids are having a party. The music is rocking in full 7.1, using my Energy RC70s, RCLCR, RC10, ESWV10. Everything is good until they come upstairs to tell me that the receiver smells like it is burning. I go check it out, and it smells like an electrical fire in the room. I touch the unit and it is hot ! I shut it off, and check it out today, and it works fine.

Is this to be expected with what I thought was a fairly high end receiver (original MSRP of $ 2500).

I am really surprised that it couldn't handle maybe three hours of what was fairly loud music.
post #13 of 16 Old 01-01-2012, 11:54 AM

Liked: 13
edit: nevermind, I should have read closer.
post #14 of 16 Old 01-01-2012, 12:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Here is the latest on my receiver, which apart from the one scene in Hanna works quite well.

It is New Years Eve, my kids are having a party. The music is rocking in full 7.1, using my Energy RC70s, RCLCR, RC10, ESWV10. Everything is good until they come upstairs to tell me that the receiver smells like it is burning. I go check it out, and it smells like an electrical fire in the room. I touch the unit and it is hot ! I shut it off, and check it out today, and it works fine.

Is this to be expected with what I thought was a fairly high end receiver (original MSRP of $ 2500).

I am really surprised that it couldn't handle maybe three hours of what was fairly loud music.

To save your investment...it may be time for something like this:

Receiver Cooler

or this

USB Fan

My Yamaha RX-Z11 can get HOT during parties and I make sure there's plenty of continuous cooling for the unit. I have four (4!) usb fans on the thing; keeps it extremely cool.
post #15 of 16 Old 01-01-2012, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Entirely random shot in the dark - what kind of wire are you using between the receiver and the speakers? I have no idea how loud you had it, but you should not be experiencing that kind of problem in normal operation.

I'd not spend the $100 on that Antec - you can get some silent 120mm DC fans for a few dollars each, and a wall-wart to drive them (you can even throw a controller on it and still be under the price of that Antec).
post #16 of 16 Old 01-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'd love to see a picture of your cabinet to gauge your air flow.

I wonder is it behind doors and how much top, rear and side clearance between walls or other components?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page