Replace H/K 2600 with Yamaha RX-A1000? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 12-25-2011, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
jtenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm thinking of replacing my Harman Kardon AVR2600 with a Yamaha RX-A1000. Has anyone compared these two receivers? One of the main reasons I want to upgrade is I need more HDMI inputs. I wish we had a place to demo these receivers.

jtenn is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 26 Old 12-25-2011, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
4DHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: sierra ecuadoriana
Posts: 5,811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I generally like HK gear. BUT these last two series (1600, 2600, 3600; 1650, 2650, 3650) they have come out with are HK Lite in comparison to older HK models, like the 635.
The RX-A1000, being in the Aventage series should be good. I'm thinking of getting an Aventage model. Although in my situation, I'll have to fly to Panama to buy one.
4DHD is offline  
post #3 of 26 Old 12-25-2011, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rnatalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 77
The HK sounds better at low volume IMO. Dolby Volume is much better than Adaptive Dynamic Range. I prefer HK GUI, but Yamaha's is great too. Yamaha is pretty better in every other category. Real power is probably close. I would look at the Onkyo 370/709 as it offers a lot.
rnatalli is offline  
post #4 of 26 Old 12-26-2011, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
astrallite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Based on the weight (32.5 vs 26lbs) I would assume it's fairly unlikely the RX-A1000 has a weaker, at the very least it will be a comparable amp section, and both have a pair of 12,000uf caps.

The RX-A1000 is on a higher price bracket than the 2600 though ($1099 vs $799 msrp) though so it has the onus to be a better receiver.

The only thing I can say I dislike about the first generation Aventage receivers is the inability to hide the OSD when changing volume.
astrallite is offline  
post #5 of 26 Old 12-26-2011, 05:39 AM
AVS Special Member
 
rnatalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View Post

The only thing I can say I dislike about the first generation Aventage receivers is the inability to hide the OSD when changing volume.

This was only true of the last models. All of the x10 series, even the 710 allow you to turn off the volume OSD. I forget the setting as it is not obvious, but it is there.
rnatalli is offline  
post #6 of 26 Old 12-27-2011, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
jtenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So I started looking at receivers at Newegg and the RX-A2000 is about $300 more than the RX-A1000. Is the price difference worth it for the 2000?

jtenn is offline  
post #7 of 26 Old 12-27-2011, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
KidHorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Derwood, Maryland
Posts: 2,771
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtenn View Post

So I started looking at receivers at Newegg and the RX-A2000 is about $300 more than the RX-A1000. Is the price difference worth it for the 2000?

The 2000 has a more powerful amp, a better version of ypao, and can process 9 channels instead of 7. You need an external amp to get 9 discreet channels with the 2000. it would be worth the extra $ for me, but probably not for everyone.
KidHorn is offline  
post #8 of 26 Old 12-28-2011, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member
 
astrallite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
While stereo performance of the 3000 > 2000 > 1000, the interesting thing is all three models limit multichannel performance at 65 watts x 7 channels, and share the same 620VA transformer.
astrallite is offline  
post #9 of 26 Old 12-28-2011, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
jtenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View Post

While stereo performance of the 3000 > 2000 > 1000, the interesting thing is all three models limit multichannel performance at 65 watts x 7 channels, and share the same 620VA transformer.

Where did you find that info? I looked in the owners manual but didn't see anything.

jtenn is offline  
post #10 of 26 Old 12-28-2011, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member
 
4DHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: sierra ecuadoriana
Posts: 5,811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtenn View Post

Where did you find that info? I looked in the owners manual but didn't see anything.

I just found this review of the 3000.
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...eiver?page=0,0


Of coarse, no one listens to only one channel, unless its a mono block, making that first power output worthless.
Except for trying to fool people. I saw a Anthem power amp (MCA 50) CALLING IT A 225W AMP. But that was with only one channel driven. 180w/5 channels driven.
4DHD is offline  
post #11 of 26 Old 12-28-2011, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
astrallite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtenn View Post

Where did you find that info? I looked in the owners manual but didn't see anything.

http://www.hometheater.com/content/y...-labs-measures

RX-A1000 has less 2-channel output than the RX-A3000, but clips at 63W x 5 and 63W x 7, the same as the RX-A3000.

The difference between the receivers is the A1000 has 24,000uF of capacitance, and the A3000 has 36,000uF.

Also google image all 3 receivers. The power supply panel on the back all say "490W 620VA"
astrallite is offline  
post #12 of 26 Old 12-28-2011, 03:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
4DHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: sierra ecuadoriana
Posts: 5,811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View Post

http://www.hometheater.com/content/y...-labs-measures

RX-A1000 has less 2-channel output than the RX-A3000, but clips at 63W x 5 and 63W x 7, the same as the RX-A3000.

According to the chart I posted from sound/vision those numbers are off a bit, as far as the 3000 goes.
4DHD is offline  
post #13 of 26 Old 12-28-2011, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
astrallite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
What's off? The Sound & Vision review has the RX-A3000 at 155W x 2 and the Hometheater.com review has the RX-A1000 at 120W x 2.

Looks fine to me.
astrallite is offline  
post #14 of 26 Old 12-28-2011, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
4DHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: sierra ecuadoriana
Posts: 5,811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View Post

What's off? The Sound & Vision review has the RX-A3000 at 155W x 2 and the Hometheater.com review has the RX-A1000 at 120W x 2.

Looks fine to me.


Quote:
but clips at 63W x 5 and 63W x 7, the same as the RX-A3000.

The chart shows the 3000 output @ 66w x 5, so how can it clip @ 63w?
Now for 7 channel output, maybe.
4DHD is offline  
post #15 of 26 Old 12-28-2011, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
jtenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

I just found this review of the 3000.
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...eiver?page=0,0


Of coarse, no one listens to only one channel, unless its a mono block, making that first power output worthless.
Except for trying to fool people. I saw a Anthem power amp (MCA 50) CALLING IT A 225W AMP. But that was with only one channel driven. 180w/5 channels driven.

So these numbers are very similar to what my 2600 is putting out.

jtenn is offline  
post #16 of 26 Old 12-28-2011, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member
 
4DHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: sierra ecuadoriana
Posts: 5,811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtenn View Post

So these numbers are very similar to what my 2600 is putting out.

But there is what the 2600 DOES NOT do, that matters to me. No preouts, no phono input, no multi-channel input. I really liked my HK AVR635, which had all that but the phono. I was a great sounding unit.
But from what I've been reading, I think my next AVR will be an Aventage model, most likely the A1010.
4DHD is offline  
post #17 of 26 Old 12-28-2011, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
astrallite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

The chart shows the 3000 output @ 66w x 5, so how can it clip @ 63w?
Now for 7 channel output, maybe.

The difference between 63W and 66W is miniscule and this number can vary under a number of conditions. If you ever have a voltmeter you can see throughout the day the voltage from your wall outlet can vary depending on what's on or off in the house.
astrallite is offline  
post #18 of 26 Old 12-28-2011, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
4DHD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: sierra ecuadoriana
Posts: 5,811
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View Post

The difference between 63W and 66W is miniscule and this number can vary under a number of conditions. If you ever have a voltmeter you can see throughout the day the voltage from your wall outlet can vary depending on what's on or off in the house.

True there is not much difference in 3 w, but there is a big difference between true output and when it goes into clipping.
4DHD is offline  
post #19 of 26 Old 12-28-2011, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
bommai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 4,509
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

But there is what the 2600 DOES NOT do, that matters to me. No preouts, no phono input, no multi-channel input. I really liked my HK AVR635, which had all that but the phono. I was a great sounding unit.
But from what I've been reading, I think my next AVR will be an Aventage model, most likely the A1010.

You are comparing a lower end AVR to a higher end AVR. The 635 was just one step below the top end. The 2600 is one step above the bottom end. I owned a 247 for a few weeks and it had pre-outs and multi channel inputs. The 254 had them too. But the 2600 lost them, but the 3600 had them still (so did the 347 and 354). But 3650 and 2650 have lost them!!! So, it looks like standard features from yesteryears are being lost on the new units.

I believe the only HK that still has everything you need is the discontinued HK 7550HD. That is a good unit. I had one for a few weeks this year - ended up returning it and switched to NAD (T775HD). Awesome NAD sound. However, quite a bit in a different price range. I got a good deal though - $1299.
bommai is offline  
post #20 of 26 Old 12-28-2011, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
astrallite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD View Post

True there is not much difference in 3 w, but there is a big difference between true output and when it goes into clipping.

When review publications refer to clipping, is when an amplifier reaches 1% THD. That's media industry shorthand.
astrallite is offline  
post #21 of 26 Old 01-01-2012, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
jtenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just saw on Newegg they have the Onkyo TX-NR809 at a good price, how does it compare to the RX-A2000?

jtenn is offline  
post #22 of 26 Old 01-01-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member
 
astrallite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,286
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Comparable size and power supply, hdmi inputs within 1 of each other. I think you really have to compare room eq programs, dimensions (do their fit in your entertainment center), decor, ergonomics (remote).
astrallite is offline  
post #23 of 26 Old 01-02-2012, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
jtenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrallite View Post

Comparable size and power supply, hdmi inputs within 1 of each other. I think you really have to compare room eq programs, dimensions (do their fit in your entertainment center), decor, ergonomics (remote).

Room size is 12'x23'. All components are in a stand in the back of the room with the receiver sitting on the top shelf so it's well ventilated. Hooked up to Yamaha speakers. NS-555 mains, NS-C444 center, and NS-333's for the 4 rear surrounds. Using just the factory remotes.

jtenn is offline  
post #24 of 26 Old 01-11-2012, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
jtenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So what about the Onkyo TX-NR809 vs the H/K 2600?

jtenn is offline  
post #25 of 26 Old 01-11-2012, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rnatalli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtenn View Post

So what about the Onkyo TX-NR809 vs the H/K 2600?

Not a fair comparison. The 809 is better in pretty much every way.
rnatalli is offline  
post #26 of 26 Old 01-11-2012, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
jtenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 658
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli View Post


Not a fair comparison. The 809 is better in pretty much every way.

Feature wise it is but what about sound quality?

jtenn is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx A1000 Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off