Recommendations based on these "wishes" - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 12-26-2011, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
l.todd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hate to do this, but there are SO many receivers out there and it's hard to know where to start. I don't really have a budget yet, but would like to go as inexpensively as possible.

3-D capable
7.1 (currently only use 5.1 and may never change, but would like to keep the option open)
multi-zone
At least 4 HDMI in, 2 out
Automatic equalizer/sound level speaker programming

Any thoughts from anyone?? Thanks.
l.todd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 12-27-2011, 03:34 AM
Member
 
jimzachary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Austin
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Instead of starting a new thread, very similar to l. todd's above, I decided to post my own wish list here too.

I'm decidedly old school. I don't really need or want a full-featured AV receiver unless that's what the experts recommend.

I play 2-channel music via either LPs, CD or FLAC files. I already have a networked player (Squeezebox Touch) so I don't really need any network or Wi-Fi stuff. I have two Definitive Technology tower speakers with built-in subwoofers.

Should I get an AV receiver or go with just an amplifier? Do I need a preamp too?

My price range is up to approximately 1500-2000 USD for the whole shebang.

Let me know what you think.

Since I settled on l. todd's thread, please make sure you refer to the correct poster with your reply.

Happy Holidays.
jimzachary is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 12-28-2011, 06:33 AM
Member
 
toddnappi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
l.todd:

The toughest requirement for you is the dual HDMI output. Anything with that, will almost certainly have everything else. The old Yamaha RX-V867 was perfect, and inexpensive, but is almost impossible to find from a legit dealer now. The new 871 replaced it, but MSRP is $900. I'm not aware of anything from Denon/Onkyo/Marantz for less than that.

If you can go without the two HDMI outs, you would have your choice of a lot in the $300 street price range.

Jim:

I see the advantages of getting a stereo/surround receiver as the ability to use that DAC instead of the Squeezebox's. For me, I'd probably go with an amp and hook the Squeezebox direct to that via RCA (primarily due to cost/spacial concerns), but I'm sure there are those who'd prefer the receiver over optical.

Speakers sound power hungry, I'd consider something like the Emotiva XPA2 @ $700 (300x2). The UPA2 is $289 and does 185x2 if that sounds too high.

As an aside I do own an Emotiva XPA3 and am very happy with it. I've direct connected it with an aux cable to an Ipod (in a pinch, for testing purposes) and it was good. Normally it's hooked up to a surround receiver though, so my tunes get played that way.
toddnappi is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 12-28-2011, 06:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
ccotenj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: the toxic waste dumps of new jersey
Posts: 21,915
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
a cheap hdmi splitter will accomplish the same thing as 2 hdmi outputs, so that shouldn't be a showstopper requirement...

- chris

 

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

 

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

ccotenj is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 12-28-2011, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,254
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Jim;

I recently purchased a Musical Fidelity M3i Integrated Amplifier which is much better-sounding than the NAD356BEE which I had before. The sound with it is excellent and I recommend it highly (FYI I am using it with PSB Image T6 speakers).

Any receiver you buy will be underpowered in the sense that the power supply is typically way smaller than it needs to be to adequately power 5 channels, let alone 7. Too much of the design effort and money goes into the muliplicity of features, which you say you are not much into, and the power supply and amplifiers are marginal quality as a result.

The sound quality you get from a typical AV receiver that costs $1500 will be on a par with a $400 stereo amplifier, if that.

If you only need 2 channels of amplification, why buy a product that has spread the money around to 5 or 7 plus a ton of other stuff you don't want?

**********************************************************


Quote:
Originally Posted by jimzachary View Post

Instead of starting a new thread, very similar to l. todd's above, I decided to post my own wish list here too.

I'm decidedly old school. I don't really need or want a full-featured AV receiver unless that's what the experts recommend.

I play 2-channel music via either LPs, CD or FLAC files. I already have a networked player (Squeezebox Touch) so I don't really need any network or Wi-Fi stuff. I have two Definitive Technology tower speakers with built-in subwoofers.

Should I get an AV receiver or go with just an amplifier? Do I need a preamp too?

My price range is up to approximately 1500-2000 USD for the whole shebang.

Let me know what you think.

Since I settled on l. todd's thread, please make sure you refer to the correct poster with your reply.

Happy Holidays.

commsysman is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 12-28-2011, 07:01 AM
AVS Special Member
 
commsysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern California
Posts: 5,254
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Todd;

The perfect receiver to meet your requirements is the Marantz SR6006.

It has 2 HDMI outputs and Audessy room correction (and a huge list of features).

It costs $1200. I have no idea what you consider cheap or expensive, but that is certainly an excellent choice if you can get it.


*********************************************************

Quote:
Originally Posted by l.todd View Post

Hate to do this, but there are SO many receivers out there and it's hard to know where to start. I don't really have a budget yet, but would like to go as inexpensively as possible.

3-D capable
7.1 (currently only use 5.1 and may never change, but would like to keep the option open)
multi-zone
At least 4 HDMI in, 2 out
Automatic equalizer/sound level speaker programming

Any thoughts from anyone?? Thanks.

commsysman is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 12-28-2011, 07:50 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,969
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 1433
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

a cheap hdmi splitter will accomplish the same thing as 2 hdmi outputs, so that shouldn't be a showstopper requirement...

+1

Don't let the dual HDMI outputs drive your AVR selection. You can get the Denon 2112CI for under $500 by "calling" AV Science or Electronics Expo which meets your other requirements including Audyssey MultEQ XT. Then simply add a 1x2 HDMI splitter from Monoprice.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #8 of 11 Old 12-28-2011, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
l.todd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks guys. I am a relative newbie to this, and realized that I already have an HDMI splitter from Monoprice I am currently using! My only concern with that is what effect that may have on the signal. It is powered, I believe. Will it delay the video to my projector? Will I lose much signal strength? I am looking now at the Denon 1712.
l.todd is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 12-28-2011, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
l.todd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:


If you can go without the two HDMI outs, you would have your choice of a lot in the $300 street price range.



As I mentioned in the last post, I am looking at the Denon 1712. Can you recommend any others? Thanks.
l.todd is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 12-28-2011, 08:24 AM
585-645-1006
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 43,969
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 1433
Quote:
Originally Posted by l.todd View Post

Thanks guys. I am a relative newbie to this, and realized that I already have an HDMI splitter from Monoprice I am currently using! My only concern with that is what effect that may have on the signal. It is powered, I believe. Will it delay the video to my projector? Will I lose much signal strength? I am looking now at the Denon 1712.

Not if it's a powered splitter such as the one I listed in my previous post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l.todd View Post


As I mentioned in the last post, I am looking at the Denon 1712. Can you recommend any others? Thanks.

As suggested, give AV Science or Electronics Expo a call for the best price.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
jdsmoothie is online now  
post #11 of 11 Old 12-28-2011, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
l.todd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 164
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I did call EE. They said they could not price match the Newegg price as it was actually under their cost! They also said Newegg was not an authorized dealer???? Will try AVS this afternoon. It seems to be the best match for what I need, unless someone knows something better.
l.todd is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off