Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie b View Post

No, should I???

I didn't realize you were in San Diego. If you are in Orange County I would, but that's pretty far from SD and there are several Non-Magnolia McIntosh dealers in San Diego county.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 657 Old 02-09-2013, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am very happy with MX121. I also have the 8207. The combo sounds very nice together. No regrets. I am not concerned about 4K. I think it will be years before I am interested. By then it's possible that the current 4K units will be obsolete. Think about how HDMI has changed in a few years. Who knows what features will be available in 5 years. In technology future proofing is very difficult.
post #543 of 657 Old 02-17-2013, 08:33 AM

Liked: 10
I use mc 452 for my b&w 802 diamonds and my old parrasound 5 channel for my b&w in wall center and surround. I just ordered my mc 303 to replace my parrasound. I had an older halo prepro and replaced it with the mx121
post #544 of 657 Old 05-08-2013, 08:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hi,

I have reviewed the owner's manual for MX121. I couldn't find answers to some of my questions. Below is my setup,

Yamaha RX-A3000 (Burr-brown DSD1791 x2 + DSD1796 x4 for Dacs)

Martin Logan CLS II fronts
Martin Logan Stage X center
Martin Logan Descent I subwoofers(2 of them in front left and right)
Martin Logan Motion 4 rear and back surrounds( 4 of them)

Sources:
Oppo Bdp-105 universal player
Pro-ject Xperience limited edition turntable

I am going to purchase MC302 power amps(2x300watts) to power my CLS II towers and receiver to power center, side and rears. My dealer recommended a separate phono amp for the turntable.

Would I benefit from MX121?

I don't care for internet radio, airplay, dlna etc... I only listen to CDs, SACDs, DVD-A. I watch Blu-Ray discs.
I don't care for its video section as I have a dedicated video processor for legacy sources.
I don't care for 4k or 3d as my display is Pioneer Kuro.

If I get MX121 inplace of Yamaha RX-A3000, I will have to buy another power amp.

I could do MC207 (7x200watts) power all speakers with this amp
or
MC302 for fronts and MC205 for center, side and rears. I believe my current hungry CLSII's would like MC302 better(2ohm stable)

or
MC302 for fronts and MC207 for center, side, rears and heights. I don't know if MX121 supports 9.2?

If anyone can help, I will make purchase this week.

thank you
post #545 of 657 Old 05-08-2013, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 31
can't find the MX-151 thread?
post #546 of 657 Old 05-09-2013, 12:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by uderman View Post

Hi,

I have reviewed the owner's manual for MX121. I couldn't find answers to some of my questions. Below is my setup,

Yamaha RX-A3000 (Burr-brown DSD1791 x2 + DSD1796 x4 for Dacs)

Martin Logan CLS II fronts
Martin Logan Stage X center
Martin Logan Descent I subwoofers(2 of them in front left and right)
Martin Logan Motion 4 rear and back surrounds( 4 of them)

Sources:
Oppo Bdp-105 universal player
Pro-ject Xperience limited edition turntable

I am going to purchase MC302 power amps(2x300watts) to power my CLS II towers and receiver to power center, side and rears. My dealer recommended a separate phono amp for the turntable.

Would I benefit from MX121?

I don't care for internet radio, airplay, dlna etc... I only listen to CDs, SACDs, DVD-A. I watch Blu-Ray discs.
I don't care for its video section as I have a dedicated video processor for legacy sources.
I don't care for 4k or 3d as my display is Pioneer Kuro.

If I get MX121 inplace of Yamaha RX-A3000, I will have to buy another power amp.

I could do MC207 (7x200watts) power all speakers with this amp
or
MC302 for fronts and MC205 for center, side and rears. I believe my current hungry CLSII's would like MC302 better(2ohm stable)

or
MC302 for fronts and MC207 for center, side, rears and heights. I don't know if MX121 supports 9.2?

If anyone can help, I will make purchase this week.

thank you

121 is only 7.2.

It's also in a different league than that Yamaha receiver. If you can afford it I don't think you'd regret it.

post #547 of 657 Old 05-09-2013, 04:13 AM

I understand MX121 is on a different league than Yamaha. However is MX121 a true balanced/analog pre-amp? I really cant any info on its analog section. I read that it might be a just re-badged Marantz 7005?

I am not familiar with Audysey room correction. Is Audysey in MX121 equal or better than YPAO in Yamaha? MX121 room correction is already 1 generation behind, should I care?

If I can match Yamaha for Blu-ray HD audio play back and do much better in analog section, I will buy MX121. How is its phono amp section?
post #548 of 657 Old 05-09-2013, 10:43 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:

I understand MX121 is on a different league than Yamaha. However is MX121 a true balanced/analog pre-amp? I really cant any info on its analog section. I read that it might be a just re-badged Marantz 7005?

I am not familiar with Audysey room correction. Is Audysey in MX121 equal or better than YPAO in Yamaha? MX121 room correction is already 1 generation behind, should I care?

If I can match Yamaha for Blu-ray HD audio play back and do much better in analog section, I will buy MX121. How is its phono amp section?

I have MC 8207 hooked up with Marantz AV8801 ...I'm super happy so far...
post #549 of 657 Old 05-10-2013, 08:12 AM

one of my CLS II died yesterday. I called Martin Logan they still service these. Electronics box repair for $150+shipping(they are heavy). They decoded my serial numbers mine are very early CLS II from 1991. Brand new Stators are $2500+$125 for shipping. I don't know for long my stators will last. I decided to replace them with brand new towers. I can't afford CLX so I decided to go with Martin Logan Theos Hybrids. This made my decision easy on the power amp.

I placed my order for MX121 + MC207 to power below

Martin Logan Theos fronts, Stage X center, Motion 4 rear and sides + 2 descent I subwoofers.

My sources are Oppo BDP-105 and Pro-ject Xperience with ortofon mc25e cartridge.

Once I have everything in and properly broken in, I will report my opinion.
post #550 of 657 Old 05-11-2013, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

I also heard it is built on a marantz platform, but has mcintosh magic added ... It would be good if it was 4k pass thru capable. Also looking for a 151 thread I can't find
post #551 of 657 Old 05-11-2013, 08:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewa View Post

I also heard it is built on a marantz platform, but has mcintosh magic added ... It would be good if it was 4k pass thru capable. Also looking for a 151 thread I can't find

It uses the same HDMI chipset as the marantz. The rest is different. I had one before my marantz 8801 and they sound very different.

post #552 of 657 Old 05-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank_PD View Post

But still kinda mostly the same? biggrin.gif

Definitely not. smile.gif

post #553 of 657 Old 05-12-2013, 04:51 PM

I am not too worried about HDMI section. I have a dedicated video processor to handle all video processing. MX121 will be set to pass-through.
post #554 of 657 Old 05-12-2013, 05:00 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

It uses the same HDMI chipset as the marantz. The rest is different. I had one before my marantz 8801 and they sound very different.
I'm looking at both would be great to hear how you find the two differences, pro & cons, happy if you PM not to derail the thread
post #555 of 657 Old 06-13-2013, 07:10 AM

I picked up mx121 and mc207 for power amp. Here are my findings. I never owned marantz products so I cant say if it sounds any different than marantz. But it is closer to a marantz 7005 than anyone think in terms of menus and operations. I programmed my urc remote and mcintosh codes wont control it but marantz 7005 codes are direct match. 2 way ip control modules for marantz 7005 work on mx121. Now im not complaining about this because I get way more support for my remote all controls being marantz and from a more mainstream component. Such as 2 way ip control. As for the rest power supplies look different. Accourding to mcintosh it uses crystal made dacs but they wont say exact model.
It has 2 subwoofer out but oddyssey treats them as one sub. My yamaha would do seperate calibration for each sub. Still the subs sound better with mx121.
post #556 of 657 Old 07-14-2013, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

I had a 7005 briefly. I've now had the 121 for many months. Sonically, the two are hardly even comparable. Menus and HDMI switching might be shared but the 121 is a serious piece of audio kit whereas I decided to return the Marantz after only a day of operation because it left me wanting. The Marantz rebadge rumor gains a lot of traction from those who want it to be true but for those who know these units the rumor is merely comedic.
post #557 of 657 Old 08-16-2013, 03:24 PM

I have had my new mx-121 and mc8207 for a couple weeks now. The system is driving the D803's and it sounds flawless. I do have a question about how my system has been calibrated though. I performed a couple calibrations using the audessey feature and honestly was not to happy with the results, but I garuntee it was user error on the way I performed the calibration. That is all for not as I had folks from Magnolia come out today to calibrate the system using their audeseey equipment. The system sounds nice, but I swear all they did was perform a manual setup using a tape measure and spl app on his iPhone. So finally to my question, has anyone used magnolia to calibrate their system? If so how did they perform the calibration? For instance they never moved the mic once nor was the mic ever hooked up to the receiver.

To finish my first post I want to thank the people who have posted in this thread as it has been a great resource.

Chuck
post #558 of 657 Old 08-19-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 637 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Bondurch1,

Is the MultEQ XT indicator illuminated?
If not, then Audyssey isn't enabled, and they did just use the manual graphic EQ, which is quite crude in comparison.

If it is enabled, did they use a laptop while calibrating?
Audyssey Pro requires the use of a laptop and its own special microphone. It doesn't use the consumer microphone.

Did they move the speakers? Positioning the speakers correctly in the room would likely have needed the use of a tape measure.

If Audyssey isn't enabled, you might consider reading through the Audyssey 101/FAQ at http://www.avsforum.com/t/795421/official-audyssey-thread-faq-in-post-1/51750#post_21782993

The 101/FAQ includes quite a few recommendations to help get a good calibration which aren't mentioned in the pre/pro's owner's manual, like using a microphone boom stand.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #559 of 657 Old 08-20-2013, 07:30 PM

The multiEQ is turned off as they did do a manual eq. Measurements to each speaker have been done, bass and treble are flat, spl levels where measured for each speaker at the mic.
The mic was used and there was a laptop out, but I do not know what they did with the info on the laptop. If there was a spectrum analysis I don't know how it was used as there was no eq calibration on my MX121.
With such high end gear do I need to adjust the frequencies via the 121 or just listen to the music as it should be.
Now running oppo105 with mcintosh
post #560 of 657 Old 08-21-2013, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurch1 View Post

The multiEQ is turned off as they did do a manual eq. Measurements to each speaker have been done, bass and treble are flat, spl levels where measured for each speaker at the mic.
The mic was used and there was a laptop out, but I do not know what they did with the info on the laptop. If there was a spectrum analysis I don't know how it was used as there was no eq calibration on my MX121.
With such high end gear do I need to adjust the frequencies via the 121 or just listen to the music as it should be.
Now running oppo105 with mcintosh

Whether you use digital audio with (or without) Audyssey room equalization enabled or "direct" analog audio in a properly treated room with quality speakers is a personal preference. You have to decide which you prefer.

However, quite a few people like to use a spectrum analyzer to verify that they're getting as accurate a sound as possible without personal bias interfering. Two relatively inexpensive products are OmniMic (see http://www.daytonaudio.com/index.php/omnimic-v2-precision-measurement-system.html ) and REW (see http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449924/simplified-rew-setup-and-use-usb-mic-hdmi-connection-including-measurement-techniques-and-how-to-interpret-graphs and http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/rew-forum/ )

Both require a computer. OmniMic is much easier to use, but REW is much more versatile.

Selden

post #561 of 657 Old 08-25-2013, 11:27 AM

Even though my mx121 works great , I still would like to know how to add Rhapsody , Spotify or Last FM. The US units only came with Pandora and it seems like this provider does not change any of the songs... the same choices for about a year.

Your help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks
post #562 of 657 Old 08-25-2013, 01:40 PM

Hello MX121 community. I am new to this thread but I have a central issue that may sound strange. I have been a Rotel user for about 20 years and due to a lot of issues with my last RSP1098 I switched over to McIntosh. I purchased a MX121 without auditioning it and I have MC252 driving Vandersteen 2CE. I have had the McIntosh based system for about 6 months now. It is a different sound that the Rotel based system I used to have. I use the Audussey and after I calibrate the sound is very good however if I do not use Audussey the sound it very poor and kind of hollow. I have spoken with Mac tech support and they say there should not be that much sound difference with or without Audussey and of course Audussey will make it sound better. I have been trying to get my dealer out to listen for a few months now but of course there never seems to be a match up in schedule. I have offered to bring it in for them to take a listen but that seems to be to complicated a process for them. Is it the experience of seasoned McIntosh owners that out of the box the MX121 sounds good or is it only after Audussey that it sound s good. Again The sound is very flat and subdued without Audussey. Any comments or suggestions to make it sound better? I listen to vinly as well as music from my AppleTV?
post #563 of 657 Old 08-26-2013, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Lewis,

Don't forget that your room and speakers have the most effect on the quality of the sound you hear. If there's a large improvement in how things sound when Audyssey is enabled, I'd suspect something in the room is less than optimal. Might something in the room have changed at about the same time you replaced the electronics?

Have you done any measurements?
They can often point to something specific being wrong.
You might want to consider skimming through the REW thread at http://www.avsforum.com/t/1449924/simplified-rew-setup-and-use-usb-mic-hdmi-connection-including-measurement-techniques-and-how-to-interpret-graphs

Selden

post #564 of 657 Old 08-26-2013, 04:12 PM

Certainly this is a good point we moved into this house about 1 year ago. I,have put up some curtains on right wall(it is all windows), I also built 2 sound absorbing panels and installed. I have a pony wall on the left and it is a smaller area. I will check out the websites andnTHANK YOU for some guidance.
post #565 of 657 Old 08-26-2013, 08:47 PM

Being a new customer to McIntosh and running th MX121 I have nothing bad to say about the pre-amp. The first time I turned on the new system and played my favorites I just smiled, because the sound was fantastic. Out of the box the sound was fantastic. My previous reciever was a Pioneer Elite and prior to that I ran David hafler through a NAD. I liked the hafler hated the elite and now I want to buy two mono block mcintosh amps.

Sold on McIntosh.

An update from my previous post, Magnolia is going to send out another technician to review the calibration. Nice of them to do that!
post #566 of 657 Old 08-26-2013, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurch1 View Post

Being a new customer to McIntosh and running th MX121 I have nothing bad to say about the pre-amp. The first time I turned on the new system and played my favorites I just smiled, because the sound was fantastic. Out of the box the sound was fantastic. My previous reciever was a Pioneer Elite and prior to that I ran David hafler through a NAD. I liked the hafler hated the elite and now I want to buy two mono block mcintosh amps.

Sold on McIntosh.

An update from my previous post, Magnolia is going to send out another technician to review the calibration. Nice of them to do that!

Did you get a McIntosh amp too?
post #567 of 657 Old 08-30-2013, 03:34 AM

Yes, the mc8207.
post #568 of 657 Old 10-11-2013, 05:33 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttersky View Post

So I have my 121 connected to my Rotel amp (it's only temp until I can afford a MC amp biggrin.gif) through the 12v trigger and when I turn off the MC it seems like the Rotel clicks twice. Is the Rotel staying off/standby or is it coming back on?

Well, I just bought an MX121, MC205 and MR88 and believe it or not, my MX121 has this exact problem. After providing my store with the problem info, McIntosh just acknowledged this problem and they need my MX121 back to fix it. So 1 year later and this problem is still there. Doesn't say much for quality control...

It was rather annoying to see the MR88 turn itself back on in the dark 50 seconds later... Funnily, it doesn't affect the MC205. It shuts down properly.
post #569 of 657 Old 10-25-2013, 10:52 PM

The 12V trigger issue sounds similar to a problem I've had from the beginning. From what I understand, about 50-60 seconds after turning off, the mx121 has a transient voltage spike over the 12V trigger. For some downstream devices, the voltage is sufficient to trigger the device, depending on the actual device's voltage requirement. I'm not sure if there is a quick fix for this problem. Last time I was in contact with mcintosh about this they seemed to acknowledge the issue but the only solution would be to send the mx121 in for service.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
post #570 of 657 Old 11-27-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:

Anyone know if the 121 passes through 4k video?

Did anyone reply with an answer to this question?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page