McIntosh MX-121 - any thoughts? - Page 23 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #661 of 664 Old 03-05-2015, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by VGI View Post
I just spoke with macintosh about the future of their MX121 pre pros..

They made it very clear there will be no upgrades available for 4K video pass through etc..

This is unbelievable that a 6000 and their MX151 as well 12500 both are now obsolete..

I feel really bad for the people who spent this kind of money on what now is a paper weight..

Classe SSP800 did the same and Anthem the Same and Bryston the same and the list goes on..

Why do people continue to buy into Pre pros and companies that don't keep promises ? No idea

Theta Digital and the Casablanca still remains 100% upgradable and they have 4K support and have had it for a year..

Craig
There is always a new format or gadget right around the corner. All pre pros are in danger of this. Is 4k even really 4k yet? Arent they still hashing out how the real 4k is going to be delivered? I have even heard talk that true 4k will require 2 blu ray discs because 1 cannot hold that much data. So the BD is going to be obsolete as well. Now there are the new surround modes with speakers that will point at the ceiling. More gadgets that will required new hardware.

This is why so many manufacturers have stopped playing the pre pro game. R&D something for years and its obsolete the day it hits the sales floor.

I like the Cary Cinema 12 for this reason. Signal gets passed through with no tinkering. Sometimes less is more.

Now that Mcintosh and D&M have parted ways, who knows what the future of pre pros is for the company.......

NAD M15 /NAD M25 / PSB STRATUS GOLD / PSB STRATUS 6C /DENON AVR 3300/CARVER TFM 45/35 - ANTHEM MCA3 / NAD T163
IMAGE DYNAMICS / INFINITY RS3 / POLK MONITOR 10/ALTEC 501 / INTEGRA 50.3/PARADIGM DSP 3400 / GOLDENEAR AON3 / HK AVI 200

An Observer of many philosophies, a slave to none.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #662 of 664 Old 03-05-2015, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Unfortunately, McIntosh is no longer affiliated with D+M, so upgrading the MX121 would be relatively difficult (i.e. more expensive than it's worth) since they don't have easy access to compatible circuit designs. I'd expect the MX151 to be easier, since (presumably) more of it was designed in-house. Still, so far as they're concerned, I'm sure an all new Atmos/DTS:X/Auro-3D capable device would be more cost-effective if designed from scratch. It'll need much more powerful computational hardware to support roomEQ for the additional speaker channels, for example, as well as more XLR connections on the back panel. By the time you're done with that kind of an upgrade, only the front panel would be left, if that.
My response was to the person who posted above me. I'm not looking to upgrade my MX121. Totally agree with your point though.

McIntosh MX121. McIntosh MC205. Focal Aria 948 Main Speakers, Aria CC900 Center. Focal Electra IC 1002 In-Ceiling Surrounds. Paradigm Studio Sub 15. Oppo BDP-105D. Roku XS. Roku 3. Apple TV(3). "Silenzio" EA-2 Media Server (pc-based). DirecTV. Panasonic TC-P65VT50. Samsung UN40FH6030F, URC MX-780.
My current SACD list
post #663 of 664 Old 03-21-2015, 01:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I read a review on this unit. It was measured at over 125 s/n ratio. If that is correct, it is a very very good number. The Cary Cinema 12 is 108db.

NAD M15 /NAD M25 / PSB STRATUS GOLD / PSB STRATUS 6C /DENON AVR 3300/CARVER TFM 45/35 - ANTHEM MCA3 / NAD T163
IMAGE DYNAMICS / INFINITY RS3 / POLK MONITOR 10/ALTEC 501 / INTEGRA 50.3/PARADIGM DSP 3400 / GOLDENEAR AON3 / HK AVI 200

An Observer of many philosophies, a slave to none.
post #664 of 664 Old 03-21-2015, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritiumglo View Post
I have even heard talk that true 4k will require 2 blu ray discs because 1 cannot hold that much data. So the BD is going to be obsolete as well.
There are 4K blu-rays that hold more data.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray...K_Blu-ray_Disc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page