Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 651 Old 03-04-2012, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Congrats to all you guys on your upcoming MX121 purchase.

Thanks! Oddly, too many people are hoping this won't be a success so it's nice to see there are still people on the proper side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefdvr27 View Post

Nothing better than good old fashioned hand built equipment. You get what you pay for, to bad society today does not see that!!

I think most still appreciate hand-built products, but budgets are tight and so we're more tolerant of less expensive methods. Also, we're seeing that cheaper can actually be "better" in many cases, and society as a whole continues to warm up to that concept. I drive a hand-built car (with the sole exception of some of the frame welding), but I'm not so sure that all those hands actually made it "better" than it would have been if assisted by machines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 651 Old 03-04-2012, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robryan View Post

I am not sure if I was the Rep for the other brands I would be happy with them.

Certainly not - reps don't want dealers selling any other brands - but dealers can't survive on one brand alone. So they compete against each other, and that's good for us, the buyers.
post #123 of 651 Old 03-04-2012, 01:31 PM

I am a Rep. (not in electronics) and I totally understand why they have different brands. However I want the dealer to present my EQUAL PRODUCT and not push one over the other. Many beleive the anthem 50V, classe, higher end bystron, some of the arcam to be equal and to be presented as equal and let the use make up their mind. In this case as soon as I got to $5,000. for preamp both said to only buy the mx121. they would sure take my money for anything I wanted to buy but were really pushing the MX 121. the MAC rep should be very happy ( and I hope I am) but the other manufacturers were not in this price range.

Not saying I made a mistake, I have no idea yet. but when your dealer ( 2 different ones in this case really want you to buy the MX you hope it is not only profit (I believe in profit) that is doing the talking. It seems at least in these cases that these dealers have the other brands for some one coming in LOOKING FOR those brands so they can make the sale rather than believing that those other brands are in the same class as the MAC product. any way, enough already. I made the decesion and hope it all works out. this is my first seperate purchase. replacing a AVR Denon 5700.
post #124 of 651 Old 03-04-2012, 01:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Please post your thoughts guys when you try it out....I have my eye on this one!

post #125 of 651 Old 03-04-2012, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Rob - dealers are there to help us limit our options down to the best single choice amongst the brands they carry (some will even suggest brands they do NOT have access to). Personally, I want them to push all products equally when I walk in the door, and then, based upon the question they ask and the answers I provide, they should eventually arrive at one single product. If they're really good, that's what will happen. And it's possible that you yourself, through the comments you provided, made it apparent that the 121 would be your best choice.

Or maybe there's a spiff on that item... Who knows.
post #126 of 651 Old 03-06-2012, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Lets just say retail is retail. That does not mean you need to pay it. I bought my AVM50v from an authorized dealer at a huge discount. I also bought my B&K REF 30 and My Denon AVP-8000 DTS all from real dealers at very large discounts. closer to half off.

I am not sure if I could score a 121 at that rate as it is brand new, but next year is always open.

David

"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra
post #127 of 651 Old 03-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

I no crap witnessed one of these picked up by someone at a Magnolia store today. Those who preordered should have their's soon.

post #128 of 651 Old 03-08-2012, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovingtravler View Post

Lets just say retail is retail. That does not mean you need to pay it. I bought my AVM50v from an authorized dealer at a huge discount. I also bought my B&K REF 30 and My Denon AVP-8000 DTS all from real dealers at very large discounts. closer to half off.

I am not sure if I could score a 121 at that rate as it is brand new, but next year is always open.

Stupid arguments. Offcourse you can get discount on old stuff. But what's the point in that? We are talking about buying it now. Not next year.
post #129 of 651 Old 03-08-2012, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Ordered mine today.

post #130 of 651 Old 03-08-2012, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie b View Post

Ordered mine today.

Good move!
post #131 of 651 Old 03-08-2012, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancoh View Post

Stupid arguments. Offcourse you can get discount on old stuff. But what's the point in that? We are talking about buying it now. Not next year.

Classic! You joined over 4 years ago and your first and only post begins with "Stupid arguments."

I try to reserve harsh statements for instances that deserve it -- this deserves it: you're an idiot, dancoh.

Traveler's comment was completely fair and appropriate. Your response, on the other hand, is neither.
post #132 of 651 Old 03-09-2012, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post

Classic! You joined over 4 years ago and your first and only post begins with "Stupid arguments."

I try to reserve harsh statements for instances that deserve it -- this deserves it: you're an idiot, dancoh.

Traveler's comment was completely fair and appropriate. Your response, on the other hand, is neither.

Got to start sometime. And I thought someone going on about how good he is at getting discounts on old stuff was totaly unrelevant in this discussion about the new MX121.
post #133 of 651 Old 03-09-2012, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Each item was bought within about 6-8 months of being announced and available. except for the AVM50v. I was making a point, that if you do not have to have the absolute lastest you can get a deal or at least wait until the BUZZ has worn off and they available at more than a few dealers. The same thig happens for most higher end HT products. Once the buzz is gone you can get a better price.

Also after checking with my Mac dealer it looks like I can get almost as good a deal right now. The only thing stopping me from changing is the XT room correction. For me this is just not good enough. If someone can show that it can be up graded to Pro it will make my choice a lot harder.

I guess you just had too much to add to keep it from being your first post.

David

"You buy a Ferrari when you want to be somebody. You buy a Lamborghini when you are somebody." - Frank Sinatra
post #134 of 651 Old 03-09-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
We just received 2 of 3 ordered MX-121 processors today. I might have to open one and see what it looks like (one is sold and the other...maybe).

B.
post #135 of 651 Old 03-09-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B View Post

We just received 2 of 3 ordered MX-121 processors today. I might have to open one and see what it looks like (one is sold and the other...maybe).

B.

Finally some official confirmation. Let us know what you think.
post #136 of 651 Old 03-09-2012, 06:28 PM
AVS Special Member

any chance of posting actual pictures and impressions?

Does it really only come with XT anything about upgrading to XT32 or PRO?

David

post #137 of 651 Old 03-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

any chance of posting actual pictures and impressions?

Does it really only come with XT anything about upgrading to XT32 or PRO?

What's the difference? I've never used Audyssey before....I had Arcam's own room correction, then Anthem's arc....I see a lot of people wishing the 121 had XT32 or XTPro, but I don't know what the differences are.

post #138 of 651 Old 03-09-2012, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

What's the difference?

A bit better correction and a whole slew of hype. Don't sweat the differences - they're mostly relevant on paper.
post #139 of 651 Old 03-09-2012, 09:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

A bit better correction and a whole slew of hype. Don't sweat the differences - they're mostly relevant on paper.

Ha. That's what I was thinking too!

post #140 of 651 Old 03-09-2012, 10:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:

Not so; XT does too little correction in the bass and too much in the highs; XT32 has much higher bass resolution and does a better job of correcting that bass, and has a much lighter hand with the highs.

Noah
post #141 of 651 Old 03-10-2012, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

Not so; XT does too little correction in the bass and too much in the highs; XT32 has much higher bass resolution and does a better job of correcting that bass, and has a much lighter hand with the highs.

Higher is better, until it isn't. And in the case of eq, the fewer the better (with each boost or attenuation, you introduce phasing and other disingenuous artifacts. Subtle, yes, but we're dealing with subtlety here, and they're additive, making "more" actually less). Can you point us toward real-world evidence that the additional resolution of XT is "practically" necessary? Again, I understand how it looks on paper, but that's meaningless in our rooms.

I use studio monitors which are nothing short of miraculous when it comes to room correction. Their DSPs have many notch filters available but most people would be surprised by the amount actually necessary, even for rooms with terrible modes. The room where I've installed my home studio is an acoustic designer's nightmare (terrible dimensions, challenging placement of equipment, little spare room to work with), yet, with the monitor's correction software running, I get a nearly perfect response. Looking at a graph of the corrective eq, I was surprised by how little it took.

But let's not forget that these corrective schemes do nothing about poor dispersion and standing waves, which no processor will correct. They have practical limits, and, given the characteristics of the average room, even the best corrective processing is useless against certain common issues.

I believe that, at each step, these processors should be performing at the highest level science has to offer, so I'd want the best correction software available, but, as is always true in a capitalistic economy, the best available isn't always the best necessary for a certain task. The hardest hammers would break the nail, if you catch my drift.

I'm eager to jump on the XT32/Pro bandwagon, but I understand marketing, and I understand acoustics to a much higher degree, so I'd need audible proof that it's worth the effort and not irrelevant, or, worse, counterproductive.
post #142 of 651 Old 03-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Nobody has this yet? C'mon guys! Someone has to have one...I just ordered mine last week but those that had it pre-ordered should have it by now. I want thoughts!!!

post #143 of 651 Old 03-10-2012, 01:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:

Can you point us toward real-world evidence that the additional resolution of XT is "practically" necessary?

Look for posts by Roger Dressler (formerly of Dolby) in the official Audyssey thread, though I don't think you'll find all you're asking for.

Quote:

I'm eager to jump on the XT32/Pro bandwagon...

FWIW I just jumped off and re-acquired a Sherwood R-972 w/Trinnov RC.

If you're interested, more info here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1283174

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1366849

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1397757

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1179978

Noah
post #144 of 651 Old 03-10-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:

Each item was bought within about 6-8 months of being announced and available. except for the AVM50v. I was making a point, that if you do not have to have the absolute lastest you can get a deal or at least wait until the BUZZ has worn off and they available at more than a few dealers. The same thig happens for most higher end HT products. Once the buzz is gone you can get a better price.

Also after checking with my Mac dealer it looks like I can get almost as good a deal right now. The only thing stopping me from changing is the XT room correction. For me this is just not good enough. If someone can show that it can be up graded to Pro it will make my choice a lot harder.

I guess you just had too much to add to keep it from being your first post.

David, I like your style. Taking the highroad. And all I can say is I congratulate you if you are able to get a deal on a brand new MX121. For myself I live in Sweden, and there is no way, to get a deal. I am just happy if our local distributor can get one for me.

I ordered mine three weeks ago and I have not yet got any information as to when it will arrive. Getting a little feed up about it.

And a little concerned about all the talk that it is actually a rebranded Marantz.. Not that concerned about Audessy. I have the same Audessy today in my Denon receiver and I think it's perfectly fine. And if I don't like it I will buy some dedicated room corrector like Velodyne SMS-1. I only need room correction for my sub.

There, a comment with some actual sense in it
post #145 of 651 Old 03-10-2012, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Nobody has this yet? C'mon guys! Someone has to have one...I just ordered mine last week but those that had it pre-ordered should have it by now. I want thoughts!!!

The other night I was told that mine had arrived and I went to pick it up but when I got there they couldn't find it, and now they're unsure where it is or if they can get another soon. And no communication. Ridiculous! I'm leaning towards buying from another dealer. Or perhaps a Krell 1200.
post #146 of 651 Old 03-10-2012, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The other night I was told that mine had arrived and I went to pick it up but when I got there they couldn't find it, and now they're unsure where it is or if they can get another soon. And no communication. Ridiculous! I'm leaning towards buying from another dealer. Or perhaps a Krell 1200.

Wow, talk about a tease. I'd be pissed.

I promise you, when I get mine I'll be posting right away....although considering I just ordered it on Tuesday it will be a couple weeks. I was hoping to get some feedback before I made the decision and some confirmation on all the rebadge conspiracy theories...but I pulled the trigger anyway. At this pace, maybe I'll still be the first one with one.

post #147 of 651 Old 03-10-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:

Wow, talk about a tease. I'd be pissed.

I promise you, when I get mine I'll be posting right away....although considering I just ordered it on Tuesday it will be a couple weeks. I was hoping to get some feedback before I made the decision and some confirmation on all the rebadge conspiracy theories...but I pulled the trigger anyway. At this pace, maybe I'll still be the first one with one.

I'm not entirely sure what the delay is on these units. I preordered in January and I was 3rd or 4th on the list. I know they shipped last week however I was told the estimated delivery date for my unit was on 3/23. Hopefully it will arrive before that.
post #148 of 651 Old 03-10-2012, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmoree View Post

I'm not entirely sure what the delay is on these units. I preordered in January and I was 3rd or 4th on the list. I know they shipped last week however I was told the estimated delivery date for my unit was on 3/23. Hopefully it will arrive before that.

Rest assured, they are already in people's homes. I'd have mine tonight if not for the screw up. They've shipped, stores have them, and some folks have taken them home.

I ordered toward the end of December and made the first cut. I imagine January 3rd/4th would be also, though it might have something to do with the dealer, some being a higher priority for McIntosh (I don't know this, just speculating).
post #149 of 651 Old 03-10-2012, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

Look for posts by Roger Dressler (formerly of Dolby) in the official Audyssey thread, though I don't think you'll find all you're asking for.

Thanks - I'll check into it.
post #150 of 651 Old 03-11-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:

...and some confirmation on all the rebadge conspiracy theories...but I pulled the trigger anyway. At this pace, maybe I'll still be the first one with one.

I'd love to get this unit myself, yet the fear that the possibility exists about a rebadge has me concerned.

If you are interested in A/B when you get your 121 feel free to PM me as I own a 7005 and am in San Diego.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page