Sherwood Newcastle R-972 v Marantz SR7005 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 69 Old 12-30-2011, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Recommendations between the two? I've read some fairly negative stuff on the Sherwood, but this seemed to be somewhat older.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 Old 12-30-2011, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
The Sherwood itself is fairly old, and doesn't bench-test very well. The Marantz is newer, bench-tests much better, and has received generally more favorable reviews/regard.

I'd probably get the Marantz.

There are other options at this price range I would also consider;

- Sony STR-DA4600ES
- Denon AVR-4311Ci
- Yamaha RX-A3010
post #3 of 69 Old 12-30-2011, 07:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 442
All I can say is stay away from the Sherwood. I have no personal experience with the R-972 but from what I have read it is a nightmare. I'd go with the Marantz without a second thought.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #4 of 69 Old 01-02-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Let's get away from opinion on the R-972 and get to some facts.
1. It received glowing reviews and purchase recommendations from virtually every test reviewer including: Kal Rubinson in Stereophile (it was also one of the few and perhaps the only AVR to receive a Stereophile Class rating), Danny Kumin in Sound and Vision, Mark Fleischmann in Home Theater, and at least three more.
2. It is the only consumer product with the Trinnov Optimizer. Trinnov is a 3-dimensional room correction system developed for recording studios and the dubbing stage. It is so powerful that it is used at Fox in Culver City to verify that DVD and Blu-ray soundtracks sound exactly like the the original version recorded on the dubbing stage. When the R-972 was introduced the stand-alone Trinnov processor was over $10k.
3. David Rich, a classical music lover and PhD electrical engineering professor, wrote a detailed review that ran in Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity that compared the EQ results against the professional standards. Dr. Rich is a Trinnov and R-972 fan.
4. There were initial problems with the R-972. The unit clicked when changing modes and the video scaling distorted the perspective. All such issues were resolved.
5. I have used the R-972 in my family home theater since it was introduced. It works 100% of the time in a complex system: HTPC, Blu-ray player, Dish DVR running HDMI to a Monoprice splitter and ultimately to an Electrohome 8111 projector and a local 32" LCD.
6. There is one issue that remains. When a source is changed, the picture appears 5 seconds before the sound can be heard.
7. My wife uses the system daily without complaint.

If you have an opportunity to try the R-972, I heartily recommend it. It still produced the most sublime audio available today for less than multiple thousands of dollars.

Jeff
post #5 of 69 Old 01-03-2012, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post

Let's get away from opinion on the R-972 and get to some facts.
1. It received glowing reviews and purchase recommendations from virtually every test reviewer including: Kal Rubinson in Stereophile (it was also one of the few and perhaps the only AVR to receive a Stereophile Class rating), Danny Kumin in Sound and Vision, Mark Fleischmann in Home Theater, and at least three more.
2. It is the only consumer product with the Trinnov Optimizer. Trinnov is a 3-dimensional room correction system developed for recording studios and the dubbing stage. It is so powerful that it is used at Fox in Culver City to verify that DVD and Blu-ray soundtracks sound exactly like the the original version recorded on the dubbing stage. When the R-972 was introduced the stand-alone Trinnov processor was over $10k.
3. David Rich, a classical music lover and PhD electrical engineering professor, wrote a detailed review that ran in Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity that compared the EQ results against the professional standards. Dr. Rich is a Trinnov and R-972 fan.
4. There were initial problems with the R-972. The unit clicked when changing modes and the video scaling distorted the perspective. All such issues were resolved.
5. I have used the R-972 in my family home theater since it was introduced. It works 100% of the time in a complex system: HTPC, Blu-ray player, Dish DVR running HDMI to a Monoprice splitter and ultimately to an Electrohome 8111 projector and a local 32" LCD.
6. There is one issue that remains. When a source is changed, the picture appears 5 seconds before the sound can be heard.
7. My wife uses the system daily without complaint.

If you have an opportunity to try the R-972, I heartily recommend it. It still produced the most sublime audio available today for less than multiple thousands of dollars.

Jeff

You had me nodding in agreement until the first "I have used" statement came up - and then it just became a purchase-defense post. I don't think anyone is trying to rain on your parade here. Or attack you.

The R-972 performed fairly poorly for Home Theater, at least the amplifier sections:
http://www.hometheater.com/content/s...-labs-measures

The video processor is good, but it isn't alone in that ability, and Sherwood's customer service is probably the benchmark by which all other failures of end-user support can be judged.

No, it isn't a terrible product, and it would probably be suitable in a lot of environments; better and more available products exist for the same money, and many of them come from dealers and OEMs that will actually stand behind the purchase. That's a big consideration.

Regarding Trinnov - just like Audyssey it has its share of followers; and it has its own technical limitations just as all Room EQ suites do. It will not fix bad speakers or a bad room. From the data I've seen, it should be powerful, but Audessey MultiEQ XT32, ARC, and the higher-tier versions of YPAO should be just as powerful. Some scenarios allow more customization. There is also the

Take a look at the Integra DTR-50.2 (which should correspond with the TX-NR3008); it costs less, produces triple the power (and can come closer to meeting its guaranteed specs), and has an equally competent video processor:
http://www.hometheater.com/content/i...02-av-receiver

It also holds HDMI 1.4a and DSX over the Sherwood (among other features).

The SR7005 sits above that; it's Audyssey Installer Ready, and has similarly competent features (including DSX and HDMI 1.4a), on top of more inputs over the Sherwood. It's not a tough choice; yes, the Sherwood is "good" - it's also "old," and for the money there exists "better."
post #6 of 69 Old 01-04-2012, 02:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 150
I had an early 972 but gave up with the setup and lack of bass issues.

I will say that it's basic sound quality san EQ is a good cut above the Denon 4810 and 4311 I've had since.

One of the setups resulted in an incredible magical bubble of sound that I would take over my current 11.1 ch setup.

BTW I was formerly an objectivist with the belief that at their current state of evolution electronics do not make a perceptible audible difference.

I actually toyed with the idea of going back to a 972, but am leery of the support issues and I want target curve editing capability.

Noah
post #7 of 69 Old 01-04-2012, 02:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Well I currently have the 972 and have had the Marantz in a clients home and in my own home. I like the 972 better. The Marantz sounded a little less polished to me. The 972 got a bad wrap when it first came out for the glitches, but most reviews of the sound and Trinnov were very positive. The newest firmware is very stable and I have not had any issues. The marantz has better option set (scaling, and HDMI 1.4) but as far as sound goes, the Sherwood is much better. Sherwood is also a very good company to work with, basically you can talk to the head tech guy (jin) anytime you want. Marantz is owned by the same company that owns Denon and such. This is the 3rd Sherwood product I have owned, and have never had an issue with customer service. I have been installing, designing, and using a Home Cinema for the last 15 years, and Trinnov is amazing in what it does. It really does take some time and tweaking to get right, but once it does then, it really does give you a seamless surround sound experience. Trinnov is good enought that ADA has added a unit to its line up. Features or sound is really what you want to ask yourself. The 972 is older and does not offer the fearture set of the Marantz, but if you wait another 6 months, you can buy an even better feature set, and even better 6 months after that. If you are looking for features then hold off until the new line up of recievers starts hitting the market this summer. Target curve editing is cool, but if the curve you get from the room corrections is good, then you should not have to change anything. Why run room correction if you are just going to change it anyway. If you want to RTA your room the buy a per channel EQ and RTA the room yourself. But I understand that a lot of people love the feature, and it can be funt to play with, my Yamaha Z1 was cool to play with. If you want the best surround sound experience and don't mind a little tweaking, then Trinnov is one the best choices out there. I hope this confused you even more

If I agree with you then we will both be wrong
post #8 of 69 Old 01-04-2012, 02:55 PM

Liked: 13
And what are you selling the 972 to move to what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighifi View Post

Well I currently have the 972 and have had the Marantz in a clients home and in my own home. I like the 972 better. The Marantz sounded a little less polished to me. The 972 got a bad wrap when it first came out for the glitches, but most reviews of the sound and Trinnov were very positive. The newest firmware is very stable and I have not had any issues. The marantz has better option set (scaling, and HDMI 1.4) but as far as sound goes, the Sherwood is much better. Sherwood is also a very good company to work with, basically you can talk to the head tech guy (jin) anytime you want. Marantz is owned by the same company that owns Denon and such. This is the 3rd Sherwood product I have owned, and have never had an issue with customer service. I have been installing, designing, and using a Home Cinema for the last 15 years, and Trinnov is amazing in what it does. It really does take some time and tweaking to get right, but once it does then, it really does give you a seamless surround sound experience. Trinnov is good enought that ADA has added a unit to its line up. Features or sound is really what you want to ask yourself. The 972 is older and does not offer the fearture set of the Marantz, but if you wait another 6 months, you can buy an even better feature set, and even better 6 months after that. If you are looking for features then hold off until the new line up of recievers starts hitting the market this summer. Target curve editing is cool, but if the curve you get from the room corrections is good, then you should not have to change anything. Why run room correction if you are just going to change it anyway. If you want to RTA your room the buy a per channel EQ and RTA the room yourself. But I understand that a lot of people love the feature, and it can be funt to play with, my Yamaha Z1 was cool to play with. If you want the best surround sound experience and don't mind a little tweaking, then Trinnov is one the best choices out there. I hope this confused you even more

post #9 of 69 Old 01-04-2012, 03:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

[quote=walbert;21436752]The R-972 performed fairly poorly for Home Theater, at least the amplifier sections:

Continuous power testing is totally unrealistic because it invokes current limiting that would never occur in real world use.

Noah
post #10 of 69 Old 01-04-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

Continuous power testing is totally unrealistic because it invokes current limiting that would never occur in real world use.

When competitive products (including the Marantz) can meet their advertised spec (or close enough); that isn't "totally unrealistic." The amplifier in the R-972 is not as robust. Period. If it current limits at 40wpc that's a problem with the power supply; I don't expect that at $1500+. It is not at all unrealistic to expect 100x5 or 100x7 out of a modern AVR or power amp; especially when the competition (even at lower price points) can do it.

Regarding why ACD is unrealistic - the better "answer" is that no source media is likely to require an ACD scenario, but again, at this price point it's just not an acceptable flaw. The thing should be able to deliver. Marantz does, Sony does, Onkyo/Integra does, Denon does; Sherwood does not.

At $700-$800 the R-972 would be very attractive (Trinnov aside), but at double that price - you can get into separates if you really want to, or purchase a much more robust/feature-rich device.
post #11 of 69 Old 01-04-2012, 05:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walbert View Post

Regarding why ACD is unrealistic - the better "answer" is that no source media is likely to require an ACD scenario, but again, at this price point it's just not an acceptable flaw. The thing should be able to deliver. Marantz does, Sony does, Onkyo/Integra does, Denon does; Sherwood does not.

Again, they deliver something that is never required, which is not the ACD part but the continuous part.

The 972 will deliver the short term high power bursts required from program material.

It's received nothing but praise for the SQ it delivers, and to me that's what's relevant.

Have you heard one?

Noah
post #12 of 69 Old 01-04-2012, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Have you heard one?

I'm not a subjectivist; I don't "believe in" amplifiers "sounding" different. If that's all you'd like to discuss, find someone else.

I'm not denying that the R-972 *was* very nice when it was announced and released, and I would like to believe they've fixed all of the problems. That still doesn't change its age, power amplifier faults (in other words, for this money, you can get something that DOES provide ACD - so why argue with it?), and that you can get more modern devices with better features. Not to mention you can sidestep all of the questions about Sherwood's customer service and quality - it's reputation is not exactly built on a rock.

If you're convinced that it magically sounds better, that's great. There's not a whole lot more that can be said either way; either people agree with your beliefs or they disagree, and either way it's a personally qualified argument (which makes it pointless to debate).
post #13 of 69 Old 01-04-2012, 05:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Quote:

You had me nodding in agreement until the first "I have used" statement came up - and then it just became a purchase-defense post. I don't think anyone is trying to rain on your parade here. Or attack you.

The R-972 performed fairly poorly for Home Theater, at least the amplifier sections:

The video processor is good, but it isn't alone in that ability, and Sherwood's customer service is probably the benchmark by which all other failures of end-user support can be judged.

No, it isn't a terrible product, and it would probably be suitable in a lot of environments; better and more available products exist for the same money, and many of them come from dealers and OEMs that will actually stand behind the purchase. That's a big consideration.

Regarding Trinnov - just like Audyssey it has its share of followers; and it has its own technical limitations just as all Room EQ suites do. It will not fix bad speakers or a bad room. From the data I've seen, it should be powerful, but Audessey MultiEQ XT32, ARC, and the higher-tier versions of YPAO should be just as powerful. Some scenarios allow more customization. There is also the

Take a look at the Integra DTR-50.2 (which should correspond with the TX-NR3008); it costs less, produces triple the power (and can come closer to meeting its guaranteed specs), and has an equally competent video processor:
http://www.hometheater.com/content/i...02-av-receiver

It also holds HDMI 1.4a and DSX over the Sherwood (among other features).

The SR7005 sits above that; it's Audyssey Installer Ready, and has similarly competent features (including DSX and HDMI 1.4a), on top of more inputs over the Sherwood. It's not a tough choice; yes, the Sherwood is "good" - it's also "old," and for the money there exists "better."

I do believe Stereojeff used to work for Sherwood for several years. He used to answer questions on AVS for several Newcastle owners in the past.

Afro GT
post #14 of 69 Old 01-04-2012, 05:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 383
Yeah I bought a Newcastle R-956 back in 2001. It was built well but had the worst ergonomics of any receiver I've ever owned. You couldn't even scan your radio presets with the remote. They only went up, not down. Who thought of that?

I sold it recently to some college kids, doubt they even use the radio function.

It did have nice power though.

Afro GT
post #15 of 69 Old 01-04-2012, 06:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

At $700-$800 the R-972 would be very attractive (Trinnov aside), but at double that price - you can get into separates if you really want to, or purchase a much more robust/feature-rich device.

I agree about the price, and in fact they're being offered for just a little more than that.

Though I personally wouldn't risk buying a new untested one even at that price.

Quote:

I'm not a subjectivist; I don't "believe in" amplifiers "sounding" different.

Nor do I.

A friend and I once compared an Adcom 555 (200 w/ch) with a Bedini 25/25 (highly regarded class A solid state) and the amp sections from a midline Onkyo and POS Panasonic $200 receiver.

We listened to CD's for overall sound, decays of notes, etc and they all sounded identical except for less bass from the Panasonic.

I didn't say that the amps made the 972 sound better, just that they're not limiting real world performance.

I guess the difference must be in the line stages, as Kal Rubinson surmised in his review.

Or I may be imagining it, though I don't know why I would, as I wasn't expecting it to sound better (no EQ, no processing).

Noah
post #16 of 69 Old 01-04-2012, 06:13 PM

Now when listening to an AVR, isn't their other parts that would have some affect on the sound? It is not just an amplifier, so I don't think that it was out of line to ask if he has heard one.
post #17 of 69 Old 01-04-2012, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Or I may be imagining it, though I don't know why I would, as I wasn't expecting it to sound better (no EQ, no processing).

Expectation bias doesn't require you to believe something will be "better" - sighted evaluation is not reliable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinkeey View Post

Now when listening to an AVR, isn't their other parts that would have some affect on the sound? It is not just an amplifier, so I don't think that it was out of line to ask if he has heard one.

Yes, EQ and DSP modes can influence the sound; and I have no doubt that Trinnov by itself will make the R-972 stand apart from other receivers in terms of audible differences. But I don't think Trinnov by itself is enough to sell the product.

The actual amplifiers within the R-972 should not sound any different than those in the SR7005, aside from putting out around 1/3rd of the power (which is what? 6 dB? Not a lot, but again, for the money...).
post #18 of 69 Old 01-04-2012, 06:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Expectation bias doesn't require you to believe something will be "better" - sighted evaluation is not reliable.

Fair enough

Quote:

The actual amplifiers within the R-972 should not sound any different than those in the SR7005, aside from putting out around 1/3rd of the power (which is what? 6 dB? Not a lot, but again, for the money...).

Again, not relevant unless you want to do sine wave testing.

Given its 40+ lb weight, I don't think they skimped on the power supply.

They may very well have skimped on the heat sinks though, which seems totally sensible to me.

Given the crest factor of program material, which means the average power will be a small fraction of peak, heat sinking capable of dissipating peak power continuously would be accompanied by heavy clipping.

Noah
post #19 of 69 Old 01-04-2012, 06:45 PM

I am selling mine to go to the ADA unit with Trinnov

post #20 of 69 Old 01-04-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:

Yes, EQ and DSP modes can influence the sound; and I have no doubt that Trinnov by itself will make the R-972 stand apart from other receivers in terms of audible differences. But I don't think Trinnov by itself is enough to sell the product.

Exactly my point.
post #21 of 69 Old 01-04-2012, 07:00 PM

You guys kill me One thing the Trinnov (IE Sherwood) does better then any other device on the market (one exception might be the anthem) is seamless surround. I have never heard a unit (in this, or much larger price ranges) be able to create a seamless sound field like the Sherwood. I must confess I do not use the amp section, so I will not address that issue here. I would challenge anyone to find a unit out there that will compete with the processing section of the Sherwood. I am spending several thousand more dollars to go to the next product with Trinnov. I do not nor ever have worked for Sherwood, I have spent a lot of years mixing live concert, and theater sound (no not rock concerts,then I would be def). So I just let me ears be the judge. If you want the latest bells and whistles, then do not look at the Sherwood, if you want to put the mic in the middle of the room and shoot the room and be good to go, then do not get the Sherwood. If you have patience to get the mic in the right spot (in can calibrate to within an inch) then you will be rewarded with a sound field that is second to none. About support, well I have had crappy and great support from almost every company out there, including companies who have price tags in the ten of thousands. It happens.

post #22 of 69 Old 02-21-2012, 02:49 PM

how is the 972 for stereo listening?
post #23 of 69 Old 02-21-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Hm, 100WPC with 2-channels driven continuously and 65WPC with 5 channels driven continuously is far in excess of what most home theater users would generally need and use.

So, "poorly" is a relative term here and realistically these numbers should not be of concern to most of us.

I personally had sworn never again to purchase a 40lbs box, and the R-972 is certainly a (needlessly nowadays) huge AVR.

But the Trinnov Optimizer does appear to be as good as it gets in Room Equalization right now, which is really the most important feature, IMO, when comparing AVRs today.

At what the R-972 is selling for now, it seems like an outright steal.
post #24 of 69 Old 02-21-2012, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Hello,
After reading the Bench Tests, it looks like it might be a Protection Feature when measured into 5/7 Channels as the 68 Watts was identical for both. While I do not use AVR Power, it might be Current Limiting done so it does not fail when Tested by Magazines. Regardless, the difference between 68 Watts and 100 is not really audible on the whole.
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #25 of 69 Old 02-21-2012, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
And to answer the OP's question, the R-972 should be a no-brainer at the current price (look around this forum to see where to get it).

The Marantz has networking, but it is primitive, as is on virtually all receivers to date (with the possible exception of the new Sony).

True, AirPlay is great, but you can just add either an Apple TV (the new model is likely to come out in a couple of weeks), or a Boxee Box, which supports AirPlay with newer firmware. Either standalone box will give you far better networking/streaming experience than what any AVR would.

The main stuff that the Marantz has over the Sherwood is Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume, as well as PLIIz, but these should be outweighed by Trinnov.

(I do wonder why Sherwood doesn't push Dolby's DRC and PLIIz as paid firmware upgrades and make some $$ in the process -- Marantz seems to be set for just such software upgrades.)
post #26 of 69 Old 02-21-2012, 07:51 PM

Liked: 13
For straight sound quality, as opposed to convenience or features, the R-972 might be hard to beat. Since I only watch movies it is easy enough to possibly push or button or two every couple of hours.
post #27 of 69 Old 02-22-2012, 07:28 AM

The R-972 is currently on sale from AC4L for $599, + free shipping. Marantz = $1200 and up. I'd go with the R-972.

Jim
post #28 of 69 Old 02-23-2012, 08:47 AM
Advanced Member

I just got one from A4l in yesterday and got it running

I am getting new speakers tomorrow and will do a full calibration of it all this weekend.

Ill have an Onkyo 905, 807, Emo UMC that I can shootout with as well if warranted...then the losers are getting sold.

Wish I could get my hands on a denon 4311 for XT 32 for comparison...but at A4L prices on the 072 I clicked buy it now as fast as I could.

I use an Emo XP3 for my front 3 and have been pondering taking the back 4 channel to separate amp as well.

REW...most expensive freeware ever...

post #29 of 69 Old 02-23-2012, 09:06 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjaymz View Post

The R-972 is currently on sale from AC4L for $599, + free shipping. Marantz = $1200 and up. I'd go with the R-972.

Jim

I saw the AC4L info on another forum as well. Does anyone know if Sherwood/Newcastle is dropping the Trinnov consumer AVR line as a development path? That would effectively mean no consumer-level implementation of Trinnov anywhere for the indefinite future.

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/...

post #30 of 69 Old 02-23-2012, 11:25 PM

I also would like to know about it's 2 channel performance. For those who own it, is it on par with marantz receivers and is it on the warm or bright side?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page