2 subwoofer home cinema setup - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-01-2012, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
One question for all those operating 2 or more subs in their HT setup. I currently only have one KEF PSW 3500 sub which is a downfire model. Now looking at the option of adding a second sub I was wondering what is the best way to approach this. Does it make most sense to add exactly the same model again? Someone once told me it would also make sense to add a second sub of the same brand just smaller (the bigger one to go deeper and the smaller to react quicker). Or would a downfire best accompied by a frontfire unit? Or is it completely irrelvant? Maybe you could tell me your experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-01-2012, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Since most receivers won't EQ subs separately it makes sense to go with the exact same model... everything else being equal. Regarding EQing both I simply unplug one and run EQ to see its level setting. Then I unplug that one and plug the other back in and rerun EQ. Keep repeating (adjusting the volume knob) until I have both set at the same level. Then run EQ with both plugged in.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-01-2012, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Don't underestimate the importance of placement. Depending on your room, multiple bass sources can cancel each other and cause null/void. The more square a room is, the more likely this is to happen.

I found just a few inches of movement can make a difference when I was tuning two subs in my nearly square room 22x20x8. My marriage is svs and hsu. Both quite capable on their own, with the SVS being the more capable, I placed it in the rear corner along the same wall as the smaller HSU in front.

Video essentials has tones down to ~15Hz if I recall. With that dvd and a Radio Shack sound pressure meter, about 5 hours later, I was able to feel confident that the subs were working together and not conflicting.

edit: I installed this long before EQing everything was popular.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page