EQ output level low - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 01-01-2012, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased a hafler EQ model dh 160 for the second zone output of my Marantz Av 8003. I found the sound from the server output a bit lacking and hoped the EQ would punch it up a bit.

The problem I am having if there is a problem is that the LED front panel metering system is not in the operating range of the EQ display. The manual states about the metering system," The front panel LED meter provides 10 increments from -20 to +3 db. The red LEDs simply indicate operation above the 0db level as set by the back panel level control. Thier illumination is not an indication of clipping. To make the most of the dynamic range of the display, use the meter gain control to set the level so that peaks occasionally light the +2Db indicator."

I also found in the manual that the EQ out jacks are for other hafler products and that if I use the EQ out to pre amp in etc that " this connection between pre amp and the amplifier may not provide the optimum signal to noise ratio of the preferred tape monitor or EPL connection."

There are two independent sliders for left right output on the EQ The meter barely moves even when the level adjustments on the EQ are at maximum. There are then 10 separate controls for left and right frequency adjusters as well.

So is the meter meaningless, or?

I find the levels with the EQ in or out to be about the same at the default setting on the EQ, turning up the output levels increases the overall volume considerably but the LED meters remain at the lowest levels throughout.

would another connection method help? I have tried connecting the output from the marantz to the monitor input of the EQ with the same results.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page