Denon vs. Onkyo vs. Marantz - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 01-03-2012, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to purchase a receiver for a home theater that I'm putting together and struggling on which one to get. I'm looking for something in mid-level range around $500-$600. Nothing too expensive, but not the lower end models. I'm torn between Denon, Onkyo, and Marantz. What are your thoughts on these brands of receivers? I'm thinking about one of the following?

Denon 2112
Onkyo TX-NR709
Marantz SR5006

If there's another brand that you think I should also look at let me know. Or possible different models that you think would be a better value for price vs. features.

~Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-03-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

I just noticed that the Marantz SR5006 doesn't have a phono input so I can plug in a record player so that might take Marantz off my list.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-03-2012, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

Does the Denon have phono in? I think Onkyo is alone here.
post #4 of 18 Old 01-03-2012, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

No, doesn't look like Denon has it either. I probably just need to look at another solution for hooking up a record player and just focus on getting a good receiver. So now back to all three. Thoughts?
post #5 of 18 Old 01-03-2012, 11:45 AM

Do you have any requirements for inputs, outputs (either type or number)? What sort of speakers are you driving in what type of room?
post #6 of 18 Old 01-03-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by rancineb View Post

I just noticed that the Marantz SR5006 doesn't have a phono input so I can plug in a record player so that might take Marantz off my list.

You could also add a phono pre-amp to these can't you. Choose the one that has the inputs, best Eq program, and other little gadgets you want/need. You could also look into last years models for the real bargains and you may be surprised at what that $500-$600 can get you.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 08:33 AM

I picked up a Denon 2311CI over Christmas for less than your budget range. I am very happy with it. Sorry I don't know the other model's specs you are considering.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-04-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 379
I would seriously look at the 3311 here.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

Afro GT
post #9 of 18 Old 01-05-2012, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddnappi View Post

Do you have any requirements for inputs, outputs (either type or number)? What sort of speakers are you driving in what type of room?

This will be my first home theater set-up so don't really have too many requirements since I don't really know what I need. Never owned a receiver before. I do want to have a second zone which seems standard on most of the mid-range receivers. I will be hooking up a record player, but I can do what was suggested and get a phono pre-amp. Will need HDMI inputs but not going to have 7 different devices hooked up so I think 4 would be plenty and it seems like most come with at least 5.

I guess my biggest requirement is just getting a good quality receiver that has good sound and will last awhile. I've heard that Onkyo has had some issues the last few years with their receivers but appears that they've improved this year. I know Denon and Marantz are good quality so maybe it's just a matter of finding a good deal regardless of make.

I don't have any speakers yet (need to get those too) so once I figure out what receiver to get, I'll need to start researching what speakers to go with it.
post #10 of 18 Old 01-05-2012, 06:08 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 1368
It's difficult to buy a "future proof" AVR these days, especially with HDMI specs changing every few years ... HDMI 2.0 to be introduced this summer. Give AV Science or Electronics Expo a "call" and you can get the 2112CI for well under your budget. However, ideally you want to select your speakers first so that if you decide on difficult to drive speakers (eg. 4Ω) you know to select a higher power AVR or one with preouts to add an external amp if necessary.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #11 of 18 Old 01-05-2012, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Of course I can't "future proof" a receiver but I'm not so concerned about features being outdated as much as it breaking down after only a couple years. Since I haven't owned one before, I'm sure any receiver to me will sound awesome so it looks like I just need to find a good deal. From reading some of the threads, I think I'm more confident in getting a Denon over an Onkyo since I've seen a lot of people mention issues with Onkyo over the last couple years. And Marantz are nice, but a little higher in price and again, since I've never owned one before, a Denon will probably suit my needs.

I'm definitely going to look at last years models as well because it seems like you can get the next model up at the same price if you get a xx11 model. Just need to read up on what I lose by going to an older model.
post #12 of 18 Old 01-05-2012, 10:58 AM

There are so many things that could go wrong with a receiver, which is why I almost always recommend to get something with preouts/preins if you are not looking at a bargain basement receiver. If an amp goes - get an external amp, use the preouts. If a video input goes - get a new, entry level receiver and utilize the amps in both. Aside from buying from an authorized reseller, that's your best insurance spec-wise. Getting receivers fixed/serviced seems to be hit or miss even if you do have a warranty (shipping, time, etc).

My take is that all the brands have about an equal defect rate. Onkyo's are the volume leader and thus you hear the most people complaining. There are plenty of stories about various Denon and Marantz issues as well (they are the same parent company). I'd just pick your favorite based on inputs, amp, look, warranty. Accessories4Less and Electronics Expo (as mentioned above) are two of the best. Crutchfield Outlet changes from day to day, but there are deals to be found there as well.
post #13 of 18 Old 01-05-2012, 12:14 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancineb View Post

I'm definitely going to look at last years models as well because it seems like you can get the next model up at the same price if you get a xx11 model. Just need to read up on what I lose by going to an older model.

On the Denon side, if you're interested in networking, then the XX12 models will be the better buy, otherwise you have to jump up to the 3311CI from last year's models to get networking for higher cost. Additionally, the same higher version of Audyssey MultEQ XT in the 3311CI has now moved down to the 1712 (no network) and 2112CI (network).

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #14 of 18 Old 01-05-2012, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

I think I'm going to go with the 2112. I do want to have the networking option which will allow me to get music directly from me PC instead of setting up another PC to connect to the receiver.

I found the 2112 on buy.com really cheap and I know Best Buy matches prices so I'm going to see if they will match it. It's pretty cheap on Accessories4Less, but those are all refurbished items with only 1 year warranty. Electronics Expo has it for the normal price.
post #15 of 18 Old 01-05-2012, 02:05 PM
585-645-1006

^^
That's only because didn't "call" Electronics Expo. Not to mention that Buy.com isn't an authorized reseller so no reason for Best Buy to match it.

post #16 of 18 Old 01-05-2012, 02:06 PM

Call Electronics Expo for their best price. . . No hassle at all, just ask for a quote. Big plus is that they are an authorized seller, so you get the warranty through Denon.
post #17 of 18 Old 01-06-2012, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to give them a call. I'll wait until I figure out what speakers I want to get since that will probably help me get a good deal if I'm purchasing more from them.
post #18 of 18 Old 01-20-2012, 03:18 PM

If you are still looking, J & R Electronics might be worth calling. I am looking at the Denon 2312 (or the Onkyo 809) and their price was lower than Expo and Abt (and $249 less than MSRP). I imagine they discount all Denons at about the same rate. Hopefully the good prices are still around once I decide between the Onkyo 809 and the Denon 2312. I'm still reading both group's forums here on AVS.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page