Denon 1909 crossover settings - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-03-2012, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Denon 1909 receiver with Infinity TSS-1200 speakers & sub. The sub, I unfortunately learned, didn't have much in the way of quality or longevity, and I have since picked up this sub off Monoprice.

Previously (with the Infinity sub), there was smooth, seamless crossover between the speakers and the sub. Now, although the sub sounds great, it sounds like there is a gap or "no man's land" where I should hear bass but don't. Think of a college football game with the band playing: no bass, no bass, band volume increases, and only after that, finally, bass from the sub kicks in. It's not smooth at all.

I've read a handful of articles the last few evenings, but I'm still uncertain. I can set individual crossover frequencies for my center channel, front channels and surround channels (in addition to that of my sub, of course), but I haven't seen any articles address this (or they were, but I was unable to understand it?).

I currently have my sub's LFE rolled down to 80Hz. The Subwoofer Mode on the Denon is set to LFE (as opposed to LFE+Main). Crossover frequencies on the Denon are currently set as follows: front (small) 200Hz; center (small) 150Hz; surround (small) 200Hz; and, LFE 80Hz. All of these are the settings that were originally on the Denon when using the Infinity sub after a successful Audyssey set-up.

My apologies for my long-winded post (and for my noob question), but any help would be greatly appreciated, even if just pointed toward a helpful article that perhaps I've overlooked thus far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-04-2012, 06:35 AM

Liked: 12
You need to re-run the Audyssey set-up after switching subs. Before you do, turn the crossover (LFE) on the sub itself all the way up.

After you run Audyssey, set all speakers to small, and set the LFE for the sub to 120 in the Denon (leave the LFE on the sub itself at the max setting).

If that is still unsatisfactory, you may want to do a "sub crawl" to see if placing your sub in another location helps, and then repeat the Audyssey set-up.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-05-2012, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ames View Post

You need to re-run the Audyssey set-up after switching subs. Before you do, turn the crossover (LFE) on the sub itself all the way up.

After you run Audyssey, set all speakers to small, and set the LFE for the sub to 120 in the Denon (leave the LFE on the sub itself at the max setting).

If that is still unsatisfactory, you may want to do a "sub crawl" to see if placing your sub in another location helps, and then repeat the Audyssey set-up.

Thank you for the quick response, Tom!

I'll apply the settings you mentioned and then run Audyssey again. I'll be sure to report back here once I'm done with how things turn out. (I'll read up on "sub crawl" as well.)

Thanks again!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page