Is DTS Neo:X that good - Page 2 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 57 Old 10-28-2012, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 36
If my receiver has no dts neo x and I get the expendables 2 will I be able to hear a difference with only 5.1 or do I need a capable receiver with extra speakers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 57 Old 10-28-2012, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post

If my receiver has no dts neo x and I get the expendables 2 will I be able to hear a difference with only 5.1 or do I need a capable receiver with extra speakers?

If your receiver doesn't do DTS Neo:X, then you will just listen to the default DTS track.

HD-A1 + XBOX Add-On + PS3 = Format Neutral
post #33 of 57 Old 10-28-2012, 09:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TazExprez View Post

If your receiver doesn't do DTS Neo:X, then you will just listen to the default DTS track.

And if the receiver does dtx neo x but all I have is a 5.1 set up then I'm in the same boat right?
post #34 of 57 Old 10-28-2012, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

And if the receiver does dtx neo x but all I have is a 5.1 set up then I'm in the same boat because of the lack of speakers right?
post #35 of 57 Old 11-19-2012, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by muad'dib View Post

Me having only a 9.1 setup with heights, I like pliiz better overall. I find neo:x compared sounds like your in hole in the middle. While pliiz just washes you with sound.

Just my 2 cents

I wonder if Dolby encoded soundtracks sound better with Dolby Pro Logic IIz and DTS sounds better with DTS Neo X ??

Home Theater Setup
Samsung UN65ES8000 LCD/LED
BenQ W1080ST Projector
Pioneer SC65 (Pre-Amp)
Wyred4Sound MMC-7 Channel Amplifier, 221wpc
OPPO 103, Directv GENIE
Darbee Darblet
ALL Paradigm - 7.1 - Studio 60's, V.2 (FL/FR)
CC-690, V.5 (C)
ADP 590 V.5 (SS)
MilleniaOne 2.0 (BS) - Velodyne 810 Sub
post #36 of 57 Old 11-20-2012, 02:17 PM

Liked: 50
Anyone try any of the sdds 8 titles with the processing
post #37 of 57 Old 03-13-2013, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Plenty of time has gone buy for people to have set ups with neo x used. So what do people think now?
post #38 of 57 Old 03-13-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post

Plenty of time has gone buy for people to have set ups with neo x used. So what do people think now?
I watched Dante's Peak on TV yesterday (DD5.1) using "Neo:X Cinema + THX Cinema" mode. Lots of explosions, volcano roars, helicopters. It sounded great. I've been switching among that, "wide surround movie", and "Dolby IIz", not being systematic, and they all sound good. I don't yet have an opinion about Neo:X. I have to choose between using front height and front wide speakers, since my receiver won't handle both, and I think I like front wides better.

Addendum: I'm still comparing Dolby IIz with Neo:X, since these are the only 2 modes that give me 9 channels on my Pio SC-1522, but there's no winner yet. I can't decide, and I can't decide about front heights versus front wides, either. With more experience, I come to know less.

Greg Lee
post #39 of 57 Old 03-16-2013, 10:50 AM

Liked: 10
I recently expanded my setup from 5.1(2 subs) to 9.1(2subs). I watched the expendables 2 with dts neo:x and WOW! I also have dredd which I plan on watching with neo:x engaged...can't wait , dredd's dts hd soundtrack on my 5.1(2) sounded amazing. I hope more titles will soon be released optimized for neo:X.

"May fortune favor the foolish" Captain James T Kirk
post #40 of 57 Old 04-15-2013, 11:16 PM

does any one know if height and width channels receive full bandwith signals?
post #41 of 57 Old 04-16-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 423
I have a thread in the home theatre construction forum, http://www.avsforum.com/t/1435778/moving-past-7-1-5-1-into-9-1-11-2-upgrade-your-ht-room-via-audysseydsx-dolbypl-iiz-dts-neo-x/180#post_23205550.

Landshark1 gave his subjective opinion, I tend to agree with his comments.
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark1 View Post

I just want to update my observation on the topic.

I started off to use DSX at first. Thought it's.....OK (at best).

Then I was using PLIIz for awhile, it's a very subtle different with or without it in most movies. It only made some noticeable difference when you are watching the "right scenes", e.g. raining (but still not ALL raining scenes), Master&Command's famous demo scene where sailors walking/running on the upper deck, etc. If nobody tells me, I probably couldn't tell a difference or miss it if it's turn on or off.

I switched to use Neo:X lately. I think I like it a little more than PLIIz. I did some A/B test with a couple "coming from above scenes" on most Demo discs from this forum between the two. Scenes like the above mentioned Master&Command, Jurassic Park (power out, T-rex got out), etc.

Here's what I think.....

Audssey DSX:
I personally don't really care for it and feel like it "rob" other channels (surrounds) to get you the scene of height sound. And it sometimes make the sound kinda weird, in my word, fake/non natural sound especially when you are watching like ESPN or similar channels. If I have to choose either to turn DSX on or no Height channel sound effect, I'd rather have it Off and let my height speakers collecting dust.

DD PLIIz:
I feel like PLIIz's process put the height/above sound channels a bit more coming from the front stage/forward. You still can tell at certain scenes that the sound is above your head. But it's still "shifted" the sound a bit like above & in front of you rather than directly above you, if you know what I'm saying. On & Off difference is subtle, but you certain can tell especially doing a A/B comparison. I will leave it On the whole time and fine with it. No artificial, unnatural sounding at all.

DTS Neo:X:
I think I like it the most out of the three, so far. From what DTS said in the earlier posted interview, it also use the rear channels in combine of the front height channels to give you the directly above your head sound stage. And I believe it. The above/on top sound sounds more..... directly above you. Like rain, or people running/walking on the above floor, sounds like it's coming right on top of you or could even be, on top but behind you, or on top but you can tell it's more to your left/right than directly above. Versus PLIIz sound a little bit more "on top but slightly in front" of you.

p.s. I only use the 4520Ci to power the height channel speakers while using the Emotivas to power the rest.
post #42 of 57 Old 04-16-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KtAVnut View Post

does any one know if height and width channels receive full bandwith signals?
I would like to know as well
post #43 of 57 Old 04-17-2013, 04:28 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
i watched dread last night .switching from dts neo-x and dts-hd master, it doesn't sound like the wide and height channels are discrete. watching in neo-x it seamed like the front sound stage was huge and full but as you know dts hd master 7.1 does a great job also. you can clearly sense the full bandwidth and separation in the rears. compared to the front. i ordered the expendables-2 it is also optimized for 11.1 i should have it in a couple days. we will see if they do anything different here.
post #44 of 57 Old 04-17-2013, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadliner View Post

i watched dread last night .switching from dts neo-x and dts-hd master, it doesn't sound like the wide and height channels are discrete. watching in neo-x it seamed like the front sound stage was huge and full but as you know dts hd master 7.1 does a great job also. you can clearly sense the full bandwidth and separation in the rears. compared to the front. i ordered the expendables-2 it is also optimized for 11.1 i should have it in a couple days. we will see if they do anything different here.
Ok one thing you said does not make any sense. You said said you can clearly sense the full bandwidth in the rears and the seperation. The problem with that statement is this. By default 7.1 is all descreate. so there is no change in the rears at all. Neo x has nothing to do with the rears at all. There is no matrixing going on. The only thing neo x does is matrix up.

If you have 11.1 which is looks like you do from what I read, then the matrix sound is going to the wides and the heights and that is it. Nothing to do with the rears as well. So if you can explain what you mean that would be great, or if i am mis understanding what you are saying let me know as well.
post #45 of 57 Old 04-17-2013, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 15
if you look at the post above i was trying to answer there question.and let them know what i heard, thats all.
post #46 of 57 Old 08-21-2013, 11:41 PM

Yes I do think its that good. I just got my 9 speaker set up done. And the first neo x movie I watched was Dredd which is one of only 3 neo x movies out there, and it sounded great. Also the sound check on the blu ray is very cool. I just wish there was more movies that had the encoding. Seems like they gave up after only 3. I hope there are more. so who else have gotten there 9 or 11 speaker set up and finds neo x that good?
post #47 of 57 Old 08-29-2013, 09:26 PM

Anyone Anyone, Buller buller????????????
post #48 of 57 Old 10-22-2013, 09:32 AM
mo1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have a Onkyo TX-818 receiver, it is setup as 9.1 with wides and 4 surrounds as well as the fronts and centre etc. etc. when i play Transformers 3 blu ray in Tru HD 7.1 all is fine, if i change the amp to
Audessey DSX or DTS NEO X when the film starts with the flying stars and the sound travels through all the speakers, i get no sound in the 2 back speakers. any ideas why this could be happening, amp is setup correctly via audessey etc
any ideas at all.
thanks
post #49 of 57 Old 10-22-2013, 09:35 AM
Bass Enabler

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1781 Post(s)
Liked: 1539
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo1 View Post

I have a Onkyo TX-818 receiver, it is setup as 9.1 with wides and 4 surrounds as well as the fronts and centre etc. etc. when i play Transformers 3 blu ray in Tru HD 7.1 all is fine, if i change the amp to
Audessey DSX or DTS NEO X when the film starts with the flying stars and the sound travels through all the speakers, i get no sound in the 2 back speakers. any ideas why this could be happening, amp is setup correctly via audessey etc
any ideas at all.
thanks

IIRC, the 818 only has 7 channels of amplification built in. You'll need an extra external stereo amplifier hooked up to one set of the preouts to get >7.1 sound.

My Dual 18" LLT subs 120dB down to 10hz

Plan9Reloaded Co-host

Listen to the Plan9Reloaded Gaming and Technology Podcast (may contain NSFW language)

https://soundcloud.com/plan9reloaded/sets/podcast - direct pod link

http://plan9reloaded.com/site/ - main website

post #50 of 57 Old 10-22-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo1 View Post

any ideas at all.
thanks

try posting in the Onkyo TX-818 receiver thread, you will get more response....guessing some amp assignment menu possibly??
post #51 of 57 Old 10-22-2013, 09:43 AM
mo1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
forgot to mention that the surround backs are running off an external powwr amp
post #52 of 57 Old 10-22-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
so who else have gotten there 9 or 11 speaker set up and finds neo x that good?

Me. Curse of the Golden Flower followed by Europa Report sound excellent. smile.gif

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #53 of 57 Old 08-01-2014, 08:19 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 750 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Quote: so who else have gotten there 9 or 11 speaker set up and finds neo x that good?Me. Curse of the Golden Flower followed by Europa Report sound excellent.
Which Receiver has DTS NEO X?
post #54 of 57 Old 01-29-2015, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalguy View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by leadliner

Ok one thing you said does not make any sense. You said said you can clearly sense the full bandwidth in the rears and the seperation. The problem with that statement is this. By default 7.1 is all descreate. so there is no change in the rears at all. Neo x has nothing to do with the rears at all. There is no matrixing going on. The only thing neo x does is matrix up.

If you have 11.1 which is looks like you do from what I read, then the matrix sound is going to the wides and the heights and that is it. Nothing to do with the rears as well. So if you can explain what you mean that would be great, or if i am mis understanding what you are saying let me know as well.
I think you folk misunderstand what Neo:X is. If the soundtrack is 7.1 (or 5.1), then Neo:X simply decodes those tracks as they should (7.1, 5.1) as if you were in normal DTS mode. Then it sucks out the data it needs to provide the height and wide channels. So a DTS-HD MA 7.1 soundtrack will still be decoded and reproduced as discrete DTS-HD MA 7.1, but with EXTRA height and wide signals 'extracted and massaged' from the existing sounds to generate the H & W signals.

At present (as far as I am aware and not including any object oriented systems like Atmos), there are no height and wide signals recorded in any movie. So the best 'original' sound we can get from Blu-ray is 7.1. Everything else is derived from the original data and generated by the decoder in the AVR. So 9.1 and 11.1 arrangements are derived 'expansions', and I love 'em.

Also FYI, (and please, I am not having a shot here, just passing info), 7.1 with two subs is designated as 7.2.
post #55 of 57 Old 01-29-2015, 03:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2088 Post(s)
Liked: 1332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murbella7 View Post
At present (as far as I am aware and not including any object oriented systems like Atmos), there are no height and wide signals recorded in any movie.
There were three movies from Lionsgate (Dredd, Expendables 2, Step Up Revolution) that started off as discrete 11.1 home video mixes and were matrix encoded using DTS Neo:X to a 7.1 track for Blu-ray release. The Wide channels were split between their respective Front and Side channels; the Height channels were split between their respective Front and Rear channels. If you use the same matrix decoder as the original encoding (Neo:X), you recover the original Height and Wide channels.

Sanjay
post #56 of 57 Old 01-29-2015, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani View Post
There were three movies from Lionsgate (Dredd, Expendables 2, Step Up Revolution) that started off as discrete 11.1 home video mixes and were matrix encoded using DTS Neo:X to a 7.1 track for Blu-ray release. The Wide channels were split between their respective Front and Side channels; the Height channels were split between their respective Front and Rear channels. If you use the same matrix decoder as the original encoding (Neo:X), you recover the original Height and Wide channels.

Of course this also suggests that any immersive MDA mix being converted for BD release could (easily?) be used to add a legacy DTS-HDMA 7.1 | Neo:X 11.1 track to the BD for playback on some older AVR without DTS:X functionality, but which does include a Neo:X post-processor . . . just render to 11.1 then matrix down to 7.1 (instead of a one-step rendering directly to 7.1).

_

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #57 of 57 Old 01-29-2015, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Playing Dredd with a DTS Neo:X system reveals just how good Neo:X can be. Dredd was mixed to optimize the 11.1 Neo:X track. It is the only film I have in my collection which was optimized for such playback. It sounds great. Films not optimized for Neo:X can and do sound pretty good with varying results. The upmix to Neo:X can be great or not so great. It is just luck that sounds get unmixed properly or not. Sometimes I don't hear much in the way of upmix on some films. Others, it can really add to the films soundtrack. In my theater room I have moved the front high channels off the front wall. I have the speakers hanging from the ceiling about three feet in front on my listening position. This has worked very well to move sounds over my head rather than up and in front kind of playback.

Alan in Boise
Mitsubishi 3800 projector onto 103 inch DIY AT screen.
Onkyo TX NR-818. Sound ably handled with legacy Minimus 77 and Minimus 7 speakers
DIY IB sub system. Two pairs of Dayton 15 inch and one pair of JBL 12 inch.
Power amps used are Harman Kardon Signature 2.1 Kenwood KM-X1 Hafler DH200
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr1009 Thx Certified 9 2 Channel Network A V Receiver Black
Gear in this thread - Nr1009 by PriceGrabber.com