Kenwood model VR5900 DSP PCB part?! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-05-2012, 05:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help!

I know this was a frequent some years ago but didn't realize I was to fall pray to the problem.

I have a Kenwood model VR5900 amp which I used in our show room for years - worked great.

Now no sound. Repair guy says I need a DSP* PCB part#X08-3090-11 and it seems as though there are none to be found.

My last hope is that someone on this great forum site will be able to help. I would hate to trash this otherwise fine piece of gear.

Thanks!

Gregg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-09-2012, 04:14 PM

Hi Gregg,

Did you ever find a soultion? There were a few Kenwood units using this X08-3090-xx PC board. I have a VR-5090 and love it. I called the Kenwood parts suppliers in the U.S. I was told that Kenwood never offered this PC board as part of a spares kit. Board level troubleshooting is the only way to repair. Seems like your shop did not want to do that. I am having the same problem and will need to push them.

My receiver has no output on every mode except the Pro Logic settings. The problem is intermitent. What I found is that if I remove the power for a while and then put the unit into test (diagnostic) mode it would work properly. If I were to use the input selector or the DSP key on the remote, the receiver would return to Pro Logic only. Basically, if I used the receiver after a reset it started to not operate properly.

I suspect the CPU because it seems to be a control problem when using the input selector or DPS modes. The good news is the CPU is still for sale. The part numbers are in the service manual. Use Google to search for it.

You mentioned that output problems were common in the past. What problems are you aware of and where did you locate them?

Thanks,

Nic
post #3 of 4 Old 09-12-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I am having the same exact problem with my VR-5900 currently -- no sound from digital inputs at all, but analog inputs work if I'm in pro-logic or THX mode. It started out as only an occasional problem, then went away for like a year and a half, and then came back again, but now it's constant.

Did you find a solution?

What is this "diagnostic" mode you refer to?
post #4 of 4 Old 09-17-2012, 08:59 PM

Hi Scott,

I downloaded a service manual for my VR-5090. The service manual describes how to turn on the diagnostic mode. I suspect it is the same procedure for all Sovereign receivers. It is actually called test mode. Do the following: Turn on the power supply while pressing the "INPUT SELECTOR DOWN" key, to make a set in test mode. The system is initialized and the test mode is cancelled if unplug the AC power cord from an AC power wall outlet. Please note that the volume will be set at 0dB.

I took my VR-5090 to an authorized service centre 7 weeks ago. Now they are telling me that Kenwood doesn't have the parts for the DSP board. I will try to push them to fix the receiver. It connects all my old analogue gear. A new a/v receiver won't do that.

Please let me know what you decide to do and the outcome. Also let me know where the parts come from if you can have your unit fixed.

The service manual is at http://www.hifi-manuals.com

You need to create a free account to download and post.

Thanks,

Nic
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page