Set up problem with Pioneer VSX-821-K - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 01-05-2012, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I didn't see a specific thread for the Pioneed VSX-821-K receiver, but I need some set up help.

I finally bought one of these receivers last week. I got it connected, set up, and was very pleased when playing a BluRay movie through it.

I do have one problem I need some help with. I also have a Toshiba HD DVD player. I have it connected to the DVD HDMI input. I tried it out for the first time tonight and I'm only getting stereo sound. I'm getting no sound through the rear surround speakers. Will the DVD HDMI input not output to anything or do I need to set up something specific for that connection? I didn't see anything specific in the owner's manual for this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 01-05-2012, 04:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 353
I'm sure it has nothing to do with the HDMI INPUT but how your Toshiba is set to output HDMI audio.

Check the audio settings on your player. Which model is it?

Afro GT
post #3 of 22 Old 01-05-2012, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You nailed it. I forgot about the settings within the HD DVD player. That fixed it.

One other minor thing. How do you get the type of audio that's coming through to show up on the display? For example, if a player is playing DTS-HD, the display isn't showing that right now.
post #4 of 22 Old 01-09-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

/\\ /\\ /\\ btt /\\ /\\ /\\
post #5 of 22 Old 01-09-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post

You nailed it. I forgot about the settings within the HD DVD player. That fixed it.

One other minor thing. How do you get the type of audio that's coming through to show up on the display? For example, if a player is playing DTS-HD, the display isn't showing that right now.

what does it show? it will only display what you are sending it from the player...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #6 of 22 Old 01-09-2012, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It doesn't show anything at the bottom. All it shows is the type of connection (HDMI) on the right side of the panel.
post #7 of 22 Old 01-29-2012, 07:33 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM4 View Post

It doesn't show anything at the bottom. All it shows is the type of connection (HDMI) on the right side of the panel.

I just bought the Pioneer VSX-851-K as well and I'm having the EXACT same problem.

Hi! This is my first post of hopefully many! I've been just a reader for a while, but have finally registered
post #8 of 22 Old 02-01-2012, 04:39 PM

same here. Just bought the VSX-821-K and it does not show the type of audio being outputted (such as DTS-HD) however, it is supposed to. I am running a Blu-Ray off of a PS3 to the receiver via HDMI and the audio is set to DTS-HD on both the PS3 and the BLU-RAY yet the receiver is not displaying ANYTHING (though according to the manual it is supposed to). It sounds great, though I cannot confirm that it is actually receiving the DTS-HD signal or if it is just a standard audio signal. All surround sound is working fine as well, so the 5.1 definately kicked in. It is currently set to "auto detect" as specified to do in the manual as well. No way to force it to anything in particular either.
post #9 of 22 Old 02-01-2012, 04:55 PM

So, I figured out the issue! I checked my Blu-ray player and it was set to convert my audio signal to stereo PCM before sending it over HDMI to my receiver. Then the receiver would upscale the stereo PCM signal to a 5.1 surround. So, it really wasn't sending a Dolby Digital signal. I changed the Blu-ray player settings to just pass the Bitstream HD signal and it all worked as described.
post #10 of 22 Old 02-02-2012, 05:07 AM

glad you figured yours out. To anyone with a PS3, I found out that since the PS3 only uses bitstream to output lossless PCM audio, (which is the same quality as DTS-HD, TRU-HD, etc...) the receiver is seeing it as a PCM vs TRU-HD or DTS-HD, however, quality is the same, so no worries, just confusion. If you want to read up more, check out the AVS forum link below for some more insight.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-th...ruehd-pcm.html
post #11 of 22 Old 03-06-2012, 09:06 PM

OK - i never thought this would happen since I'm usually pretty good at connections with a/v equipment. Just got the vsx-821-k from Newegg for $179 and a pair of pioneer bookshelf speakers and 100W sub, hooked everything up and can't even get the OSD to work on my plasma tv.... have been reading everything and the Pioneer manual isn't too user friendly, I can't understand why they would provide HDMI connectivity BUT NOT FOR SETUP? I had to use analog/composite cables which I did, but still not seeing the OSD for setup. Is there any other alternative? Any help greatly appreciated!
post #12 of 22 Old 03-06-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio2971 View Post

OK - i never thought this would happen since I'm usually pretty good at connections with a/v equipment. Just got the vsx-821-k from Newegg for $179 and a pair of pioneer bookshelf speakers and 100W sub, hooked everything up and can't even get the OSD to work on my plasma tv.... have been reading everything and the Pioneer manual isn't too user friendly, I can't understand why they would provide HDMI connectivity BUT NOT FOR SETUP? I had to use analog/composite cables which I did, but still not seeing the OSD for setup. Is there any other alternative? Any help greatly appreciated!

You've got the right idea-- just make sure you have the correct Analog inputs selected on your Receiver and your TV/Display and push the home/menu button. it should come up and look straight out of the 80s. Unfortunate, but that's the only way it works.
post #13 of 22 Old 03-06-2012, 09:48 PM

thanks, appreciate the response - i can't figure this out, i noticed that on my Panasonic Viera plasma, when i use the "input" button, it doesn't show "composite" as an option, but it does show "component" - so I switched from the red/white/yellow to red/blue/green and still nothing........ brand new receiver/speakers/subwoofer and the SILENCE is kililng me!!!!
post #14 of 22 Old 03-06-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:

thanks, appreciate the response - i can't figure this out, i noticed that on my Panasonic Viera plasma, when i use the "input" button, it doesn't show "composite" as an option, but it does show "component" - so I switched from the red/white/yellow to red/blue/green and still nothing........ brand new receiver/speakers/subwoofer and the SILENCE is kililng me!!!!

I just checked my setup, I'm using the red/white/yellow (just need yellow)

I have TV set to where the yellow is plugged in.

I have Pioneer set to Video2 input (where my Yellow video cable is plugged in) and set to A for analog input (not HDMI). Once there, still don't see the menu until I push the 2nd row from top left-most button on the Pioneer remote (RECEIVER with a box around it) then the little house button (SETUP in grey), then it pops up on the screen.
post #15 of 22 Old 03-06-2012, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

i can't figure this out, i noticed that on my Panasonic Viera plasma, when i use the "input" button, it doesn't show "composite" as an option,

Hi scorpio2971, you won't see "composite", look for "video" (which should be under "component").
post #16 of 22 Old 03-06-2012, 10:23 PM

thanks everyone - so i played around and set it to "video" and used the pioneer remote to surf the input selection and by golly a screen shows up although on the OSD it's set to "USB" so I gather I can probably just figure the rest out now that the display is up at least!!
post #17 of 22 Old 03-06-2012, 10:45 PM

ok that was short lived - the only time the analog screen shows up is when i use the usb/ipod option, other than that i get no set up screen.... i have yellow video out on receiver connected to yellow video in on tv.... then on remote used input to select "video" then on receiver the only option that gives me the screen seems to be the usb option, but if i change the input selection on receiver, then i lose the picture.............. this is so frustrating, when i try to select the "receiver" button or "setup" button nothing happens :-(
post #18 of 22 Old 03-06-2012, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

.... i have yellow video out on receiver connected to yellow video in on tv....

Check that composite yellow cable is connect to receiver yellow "Monitor Out" jack and not the yellow "DVR/BD Out" jack.
post #19 of 22 Old 03-07-2012, 12:39 AM

finally got it working and set up :-) i just wasn't pressing the "set up" button quick enough after the "receiver" button.... oh well :-) thanks everybody~!
post #20 of 22 Old 03-08-2012, 05:38 PM

I'm in OSD hell. I believe I did what I needed to do but the OSD will not come up! I am sitting here King Kong Pissed off, if someone, anyone, is there, please help me!
post #21 of 22 Old 03-09-2012, 07:37 PM

Liked: 12

post #22 of 22 Old 09-12-2013, 07:55 AM

Slightly different for me, have dvd audio with 5.1 track in Dolby & DTS 96/24. The 821 recognises the input & displays, the Dolby sounds great, but the DTS sounds muffled. Is there something I am not doing ?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Vsx 821 K 5 1 Home Theater Receiver Glossy Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page