Will all HDMI1.4a receivers support 4K2K pass through? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 01-05-2012, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have just recently purchased an Pioneer Elite SC-57 receiver. I know that the Marvell QdeoTM chip will not scale or upconvert lower resolutions to 4K2K like one of the latest Onkyo receivers can, however, what I want to know is will my SC-57 be able to pass through a 4K2K signal? I have learned that the Denon AVR-1912 will have 4K2K pass through.

In addition, in 2 to 4 years when there may be 4K2K Blu-ray players and video displays will my receiver be compatible or incompatible with this type of high resolution signal. Or will I have to by-pass my receiver and go directly to the 4K2K display and only use my SC-57 for audio.

When I called Pioneer tech support they were not very clear on this and could not 100% garantee that the SC-57 can be used for 4K2K pass through.

Perhaps someone in the know could tell me if its possible or someone who has contact with Pioneer Japan or even Chris Walker (Walkamo).

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-06-2012, 05:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
^^^

it's not a mandatory part of the spec, so who knows... my "guess" is that the chipset will handle it, but it's a guess...

needless worry though... consumer level 4k devices aren't coming to a store near you anytime soon...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 Old 01-06-2012, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Well, they are already available... like the Toshiba with CEVO engine.
post #4 of 10 Old 01-06-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

it's not a mandatory part of the spec, so who knows... my "guess" is that the chipset will handle it, but it's a guess...

Like the OP, I upgraded to what turns out to be only a "bits-and-bobs" somewhat HDMI 1.4 capable AVR in part with the "expectation" that it would do 4K2K pass through (even if only at 24p|30p).

If (link to) this news item (titled "New HDMI 2.0 Standard in 2012!") is correct, then HDMI.org is taking another shot at 'technology improvement' again this month...?! It's not clear what were HDMI.org's (past) expectations for the level of education and|or CE familiarity that consumers would need in order to comprehend product labeling, but dare we expect more comprehensible product labeling rules this time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

needless worry though... consumer level 4k devices aren't coming to a store near you anytime soon...

As I recently retired one AVR after just about 20 years service, it's clear we might have different understandings of the term 'useful product life cycle'...?!

[From reading technology forecasts over the past couple of years, I'd guess that there is a better than 50|50 chance that 8K4K consumer AV equipment will be widely available within the next 20 years . . . although anyone without a 100" display probably won't care if their AVR is limited to (only) 4K2K pass through! ]

[
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #5 of 10 Old 01-06-2012, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Since 99% of consumers don't and never will have a 100"+ screen in their homes, ever... Anything higher than 1080P is a moot point, at least in my opinion.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-06-2012, 01:35 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1013 Post(s)
Liked: 1505
^^
The 4Kx2K Toshiba mentioned above going on the market soon is only 55" ....

http://www.slashgear.com/toshiba-reg...rice-07200626/

---------------------------------
"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #7 of 10 Old 01-06-2012, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
The 4Kx2K Toshiba mentioned above going on the market soon is only 55" ....

http://www.slashgear.com/toshiba-reg...rice-07200626/

What's the point, iIf your eyes can't resolve that resolution at that small of a screen size? That's all I've been told on these forums for the last 5 years... You can't resolve that high of a resolution at such and such distance or size.

Quote:
Of course, I got it modified with the TK-427, which cheeks it up another, maybe, 3 or 4 quads per channel.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-06-2012, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 89
12 large for a 55" tv that can't even have the technology properly exploited by the end user...

as noted, not coming to a store near you soon....

although once people see them, exclamations of "incredible night and day differences" will ring throughout the land...

4k has a grand total of zero usefulness to virtually anyone who does not own a projector, and even for those with a projector, it will still be most useful when sitting rather close to the screen...

@soundchex... lol... yea... "product life cycle" for electronics for me is 1 year, at best... although i've been good for quite awhile now, so maybe that will change...

note that despite what i said above about 4k above, when a 4k pj does reach a "reasonable price for a mid to high end setup", i'll no doubt be drawn like a fly to the light of the bling...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #9 of 10 Old 01-06-2012, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEastSide View Post

Since 99% of consumers don't and never will have a 100"+ screen in their homes, ever... Anything higher than 1080P is a moot point, at least in my opinion.

Your '1% of households' with 100" - 200" screens probably translates into a global replacement+growth sales volume of 3 - 5 million units annually--which may be a little optimistic even for 2030 as some studies conducted for the EBU projected only 27% of European households would have access to 4K2K (or less likely 8K4K) cable|broadcast content even by that date.

[Of course if 4th generation optical discs get used for 4K2K|8K4K entertainment distribution--rather than just for data storage--then potential market penetration jumps to 100% worldwide. ]

[
]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #10 of 10 Old 01-08-2012, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Thanks to everyone for your replys to my 4K2K receiver question. I greatly appreciate it.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page