Should I put my blu ray player on top of my AVR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-06-2012, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Hey guys. I searched and found a thread that kind of answred this, so I just wanted to ask for my situation and gear. Is it ok if I put my blu ray player on top of my AVR? I just bought a panasonic dmp bd210 blu ray player to replace my old samsung one that is huge and I have an Insignia 5.1 Receiver. The blu ray player is small and it doesn't cover the whole top of the receiver. I really want to put my AVR more in the center of my tv stand so its more stable, and I just bought my tv stand so I'm not buying another one. Is this ok for me to do since the blu ray player is so small/lightweight and doesn't cover the whole AVR or should I not do it?

Polk CS20
Polk Tsi 500's
Polk Tsi 200's
Denon 1713
Samsung 37'' LCD
Panasonic DMP-BDT 210
SVS PB-2000
Auralex Great Gramma/MoPAD
Logitech Harmony One
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-06-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 99
If the top of the receiver has vents, they are there for a reason. That being said, I have put stuff on top of receivers before. So you can get away with it in some cases.

In some cases you can't. I remember a Yamaha, I was getting ready to ship to a buyer. I had it on to test it it to make sure it fully worked before shipping it. And I put it's manual on top of it. It did not take long before the video output started to mess up due to overheating. But that receiver ran so hot, you did not want to touch top of receiver when it had been on for awhile.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #3 of 12 Old 01-06-2012, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I wouldn't do it for the reasons above, but if you do go forward to see how it works, put some spacers in between the AVR and BR player to allow for better airflow.
post #4 of 12 Old 01-06-2012, 10:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
My Onkyo AVR runs hot. Even if it didn't, I wouldn't put anything directly on top of a receiver. I would at least raise it up an inch or 2 and get a small PC fan (Monoprice has them cheap) to push the heat away.
post #5 of 12 Old 01-06-2012, 10:10 AM

Liked: 19
Agreed... normally you shouldn't. If you really want to try, feel the top of the AVR while playing for a while and see how warm it gets. Who knows maybe it stays cool.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-06-2012, 10:39 AM
GTZ

Liked: 12
I wouldn't do it either.
post #7 of 12 Old 01-06-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman61405 View Post

Hey guys. I searched and found a thread that kind of answred this, so I just wanted to ask for my situation and gear. Is it ok if I put my blu ray player on top of my AVR? I just bought a panasonic dmp bd210 blu ray player to replace my old samsung one that is huge and I have an Insignia 5.1 Receiver. The blu ray player is small and it doesn't cover the whole top of the receiver. I really want to put my AVR more in the center of my tv stand so its more stable, and I just bought my tv stand so I'm not buying another one. Is this ok for me to do since the blu ray player is so small/lightweight and doesn't cover the whole AVR or should I not do it?

Heat is one of the most common causes of failure in any CE device .. those vents are there for a reason .. follow the makers instructions .. or install a small fan behind the units blowing into the backs ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #8 of 12 Old 01-06-2012, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I would be more inclined to put the receiver on top of the blu-ray player if both devices need to share the same shelf space
post #9 of 12 Old 01-06-2012, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 58
I'm of the "give every component their own shelf" school.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #10 of 12 Old 01-06-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa View Post

I'm of the "give every component their own shelf" school.

Fully agree. Please take a look at my setup, avr as well as player have their own shelves with enough room for airflow. Another suggestion is to do the dusting, not just on the top of the units but also underneath. I do it regularly once a week. Dust is Public Enemy #1!!!
LL
post #11 of 12 Old 01-08-2012, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Well, I decided to try it anyway, but I should've listened to you guys haha. I was watching a blu ray and the audio would cut out for a split second and than come back on. I went to feel the player and it was really hot. I didn't think my reciever ran that hot, but I guess it does. So i moved it to the other side where it was before, but now it's on top of my xbox360 because it's so small. Thanks for the advice guys. I'm glad I gave it a shot, but I fully agree with all of you now. Don't stack anything on top of your AVR!!

Polk CS20
Polk Tsi 500's
Polk Tsi 200's
Denon 1713
Samsung 37'' LCD
Panasonic DMP-BDT 210
SVS PB-2000
Auralex Great Gramma/MoPAD
Logitech Harmony One
post #12 of 12 Old 01-08-2012, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman61405 View Post

NO NO! Never block vents even partially.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page