Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 01-06-2012, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi all,

I have a nice Yamaha RXV-2500, about a 2005 model, and it doesnt have the new HD formats (DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Truesound) ..

Am I missing much? I would rather not upgrade my receiver unless people tell me its a pretty nice upgrade. I run a receiver, another amp, nice speakers, Blu-ray, sub, etc.

Thanks in advance!

JohnR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-06-2012, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA View Post

Hi all,

I have a nice Yamaha RXV-2500, about a 2005 model, and it doesnt have the new HD formats (DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Truesound) ..

Am I missing much? I would rather not upgrade my receiver unless people tell me its a pretty nice upgrade. I run a receiver, another amp, nice speakers, Blu-ray, sub, etc.

Thanks in advance!

JohnR

The sound is worthwhile but you may be ok. Does your blu-ray do the dts ma or tru hd conversion to pcm?
post #3 of 12 Old 01-06-2012, 04:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 99
You are not missing much, IMO.

I would not spend money just for lossless.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #4 of 12 Old 01-06-2012, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Yamaha RXV-2500 has MCH analogue inputs and you can simply use a BDP with MCH analogue outs.

PS. The SPDIF route for a 2CH PCM downmix from a HD track would give you some idea of what it's like.

Audiosceptics accept audio trials using 25 people. A recent Oxford study with over 353,000 patient records from 639 separate clinical trials shows for every 1,000 people taking diclofenac or ibuprofen there would be 3 additional heart attacks, 4 more cases of heart failure and 1 death every year.

post #5 of 12 Old 01-06-2012, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I used to have that very receiver back when it first came out. I was soooooooo HAPPY to get rid of it when I did!

Don't get me wrong, it is a very good receiver. But that was like 7 years ago that it was so good. I replaced it about 3 years ago with a $400.00 Yamaha RX-V663, 7.1 receiver. It has support for all the HD and lossless codecs.

If you really do have pretty decent equipment, I'd definitely look into replacing it with something new. Whether it be a new AVR for only a couple hundred bucks, or even better, depending on your budget that is.

I'm actually looking into replacing my 3 year old RX-V663. I guess I replace them every 3 or 4 years or so. I may wait to see what this years models have to offer.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #6 of 12 Old 01-06-2012, 10:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

2500 has a better amp section though Glad the 663 was adequate.

If you can wait for deals, you can usually get high end Yamaha models for 1/2 price or better. That's the way to go, I think.

post #7 of 12 Old 01-06-2012, 10:22 PM

Liked: 10
I upgraded mine last month as I wanted a number of features that the old one did not have.
HD audio was one of the reasons. Not sure in two weeks that I have noticed it to be a huge improvement, but this AVR has Audyssey and I think my speakers are working better because of that.
post #8 of 12 Old 01-06-2012, 11:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

2500 has a better amp section though Glad the 663 was adequate.

If you can wait for deals, you can usually get high end Yamaha models for 1/2 price or better. That's the way to go, I think.

True Mike.

And that's a good point. I actually use external amps in my setup, and it appears as though the OP is planning on doing the same?

So that might not be relevant in this situation.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #9 of 12 Old 01-06-2012, 11:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Ah, well then you don't care about receiver amp sections

I have an XPA-3 and a Crown hooked to my Yamaha RX-Z7, but they are not needed. I just like amps.

post #10 of 12 Old 01-06-2012, 11:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca View Post

Yamaha RXV-2500 has MCH analogue inputs and you can simply use a BDP with MCH analogue outs.

PS. The SPDIF route for a 2CH PCM downmix from a HD track would give you some idea of what it's like.

I agree with the SPDIF route, but also agree that it's not going to be a very "real" difference (if you notice anything at all).

Regarding the multi-ch analog inputs, ensure that whatever player you purchase has sufficient management/configuration options to make this worthwile - very few receivers will do bass management or other processing of their multi-channel analog inputs. That said, it would give you the lossless audio, at no different quality than if the receiver was decoding it from HDMI. I don't know what kind of room correction or EQ features that Yamaha has, but that's probably going to be the "big" difference between it and a modern AVR or SSP (regardless of whether or not you use the multi-ch analog inputs).

If you want a new toy, I agree with the suggestion towards a new, more modern AVR, with pre-outs. Replace the V2500 and get something "smarter" to put in front of your amplifiers. I think overall you shouldn't expect world-changing results, but there's a few features that will give you incremental benefits (room EQ, more sophisticated bass management, things like that).
post #11 of 12 Old 01-09-2012, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Thanks for all the responses over the weekend. Yea I only have the receiver driving the rear speakers, the front 3 speakers are run on an amp. My BDP does not have 5 channel or 7 channel analog out, but Ill see if it does the conversion to PCM, thanks!.

MY current Yamaha has 2nd generation room correction, is Audyssey significantly better than the older Room Correction circuitry?
post #12 of 12 Old 01-10-2012, 12:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR_IN_LA View Post

Thanks for all the responses over the weekend. Yea I only have the receiver driving the rear speakers, the front 3 speakers are run on an amp. My BDP does not have 5 channel or 7 channel analog out, but Ill see if it does the conversion to PCM, thanks!.

MY current Yamaha has 2nd generation room correction, is Audyssey significantly better than the older Room Correction circuitry?

The PCM output will only be in stereo - not multi-channel. You'll be relying on something like Pro Logic II to get a surround output; I'd probably stick to the lossy high bitrate.

The newer room EQ systems are more precise, but in terms of "does it justify the price" - by itself I would say "no," but it does contribute to the justification.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page