Denon 3312ci OR Marantz SR6006 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 31 Old 01-07-2012, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I've narrowed down my choices for a new AVR for my home theater/music system... choosing these for the combination of features (audyssey, etc) and price point.

I'm not sure which way to go... I understand these receivers are almost the same, however people mention that they think the Marantz sounds 'warmer' (understanding that's a generalization and my speaks influence that).

I do have another question... will it make a difference stepping up to Audyssey MultEQ-XT over the next line down that has Audyssey MultEQ (as that's the primary reason I went up a model).

Any known current issues? (I've looked in the 'official' threads... unfortunately they're far too long to really spend enough time to dig this up)

Thank you in advance!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-07-2012, 10:26 AM
AJF
Advanced Member

I switched from a Denon 3311Ci to a Marantz 6006 and couldn't be happier . I had problems with the Denon, sent it in for service 5 times, and they never resolved the problem. They refuse to admit there is a problem with the unit even though you can clearly see it in the video below.

http://youtu.be/XGtu9dqMDlE

I jumped up to the 6006 from the 5006 because it has the DSX feature which works with the surround wides (or heights) which I have installed. The enveloping sound is incredible; it makes your room feel like a huge theater.
post #3 of 31 Old 01-07-2012, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply -

1. I'm looking at a 3312, not the 3311. Does the 3312 have that same problem, or has it been resolved.
2. Whats the DSX feature on the Marantz? Does the Denon 3312 have that feature as well?

Thank you!
post #4 of 31 Old 01-07-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

It appears the Denon has DSX as well.
post #5 of 31 Old 01-07-2012, 10:35 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1037 Post(s)
Liked: 1510
The poster AJF is in the minority and simply had a defective AVR which could not be repaired, and as you noted he's got last year's model not the 3312CI so his post doesn't really apply to you. The DSX feature is also available on the 3312CI as it is on the 6006. Both models will be comparable so choose the one that offers the features/inputs/outputs you want and is the lowest cost.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Mon - Fri: 10am – 10pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6 of 31 Old 01-07-2012, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

I think I'm just stuck wondering how much truth, if any, there is to the statements I see stating that the Marantz sounds warmer (which I tend to like).
post #7 of 31 Old 01-07-2012, 10:46 AM
585-645-1006

"Warmer" is a very subjective term ... why not just go down to your local Best Buy/Magnolia and demo both models for yourself? Although note that both will sound even better in your home as BB/Magnolia won't have run Audyssey on either model you demo.

"JD" –
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

post #8 of 31 Old 01-07-2012, 10:52 AM
AJF
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The poster AJF is in the minority and simply had a defective AVR which could not be repaired, and as you noted he's got last year's model not the 3312CI so his post doesn't really apply to you. The DSX feature is also available on the 3312CI as it is on the 6006. Both models will be comparable so choose the one that offers the features/inputs/outputs you want and is the lowest cost.

Do you have something against minorities? JK. I've owned countless electronics over the years and some have had problems, but it is how the company deals with those problems that speaks volumes.

The OP is asking about a Denon product vs a Marantz product which I think I can speak to having owned both. Different model, same company. I'm sorry but I will continue to relate my Denon experience whenever I think it's germane to the thread.
post #9 of 31 Old 01-07-2012, 10:54 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Yes .. I suppose that is your prerogative .. but it really is getting old.

"JD" –

post #10 of 31 Old 01-07-2012, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

True, but you don't know how Marantz would've handled a similar problem (or do you?). I've had Denon's before and had no issues with them, nor have I found any info on the net indicating the current models exhibit any known significant problems.
post #11 of 31 Old 01-07-2012, 11:01 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Excellent point .... the Marantz CSRs are likely manned by the same 3rd party company that does Denon's CSR.

"JD" –

post #12 of 31 Old 01-07-2012, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not arguing for or against, just trying to be unbiased. I can see people's biases (face it, we all have them to some degree or other!)
post #13 of 31 Old 01-07-2012, 11:12 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Exactly ... every mfr has a small % of defective units ... however, complaining about it when you're in the minority serves no real purpose. Mind you I don't disagree that perhaps Denon handled his case badly ... but take it up with Denon .. don't continue to post here where it serves no purpose.

"JD" –

post #14 of 31 Old 01-07-2012, 11:22 AM
AJF
Advanced Member

Quote:

^^
Yes .. I suppose that is your prerogative .. but it really is getting old.

Sorry but it's still very fresh in my memory as I look at this $1,000 paperweight sitting in my utility closet. I've seen ranting on these forums and I'm not even close.
post #15 of 31 Old 01-07-2012, 11:39 AM
AJF
Advanced Member

Woody I'm sorry if you or others feel that my post has taken your thread Off Topic, but I think how a company handles a warranty problem is very much On Topic when deciding which to buy.

Now I said my piece (and will continue to do so) but I'll remove myself from this thread so that JD and others can help you in your decision . I will say that compared to the 3311, the Marantz seemed to have more dynamic headroom, and I liked the GUI and menus more but I'm not sure if they have changed on the 3312. Also, some people complain about the small "porthole" display, but I haven't had any problems with it as you do most on the adjustments on-screen.
post #16 of 31 Old 01-07-2012, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJF View Post

Woody I'm sorry if you or others feel that my post has taken your thread Off Topic, but I think how a company handles a warranty problem is very much On Topic when deciding which to buy.

Now I said my piece (and will continue to do so) but I'll remove myself from this thread so that JD and others can help you in your decision . I will say that compared to the 3311, the Marantz seemed to have more dynamic headroom, and I liked the GUI and menus more but I'm not sure if they have changed on the 3312. Also, some people complain about the small "porthole" display, but I haven't had any problems with it as you do most on the adjustments on-screen.

I never said it was off topic. It is valuable information. What I did say is that I don't know how Marantz would've handled a similar issue. Thank you for passing along your observation, any info I can get will help me make my decision!
post #17 of 31 Old 01-07-2012, 12:49 PM

Does anyone know if the Marantz have equal/greater capabilities to EQ the sub as the Denon?
post #18 of 31 Old 01-07-2012, 02:23 PM
585-645-1006

^^
It has the same version of Audyssey MultEQ XT so it has the same capability of EQ'ing the sub. Also note that if you compare the rear panel of the 3312CI and the 6006 they are virtually identical.

"JD" –

post #19 of 31 Old 01-07-2012, 07:29 PM
585-645-1006

woodygg -

I just noticed in Slickdeals you posted about Newegg .. note that it is in fact NOT an authorized Denon reseller.

"JD" –

post #20 of 31 Old 01-07-2012, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 27
These two were on my final list of three receivers (ended up with a Yamaha because I got a great deal). I would have gone with the Marantz for two reasons--MCH analogue input and better looking. Otherwise it's a toss-up. YMMV.
post #21 of 31 Old 01-07-2012, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

woodygg -

I just noticed in Slickdeals you posted about Newegg .. note that it is in fact NOT an authorized Denon reseller.

agreed, i read the updated threads and decided to cancel my order.
post #22 of 31 Old 01-07-2012, 08:55 PM - Thread Starter

i eliminated the yamaha because i'd prefer the audyssey.
post #23 of 31 Old 01-08-2012, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodygg View Post

i eliminated the yamaha because i'd prefer the audyssey.

I understand. I already have a good sub EQ so I don't mind that YPAO on my new receiver doesn't EQ the sub. I also like being able to tweak YPAO in a way that can't be done with the Audyssey that comes with either the Denon or the Marantz I was considering.

That said, if I didn't already have my EQ, then I'd likely have chosen the Marantz.

Either way, I think you'll have a good receiver. Happy shopping.
post #24 of 31 Old 01-19-2012, 09:49 PM

I am looking at the same two receivers - REALLY tough desicision! Feature wise, they seem to be nearly identical. I like the look and uniqueness of the Marantz and the "porthole", not to mention the legacy of the name, but am concerned, that I will not adjust well to the lack of controls on the faceplate as well as the limited information that the porthole provides. I think the Denon would respond to my existing habits. If I want to change radio stations as I'm passing by, for example just quickly press the approriate button(s). I don't need to search for the remote which will be no where near the unit itsef, and fumble for the tiny button. Using the i-gadget "sounds" cool, but that would be equally inconveinent to locate.

The 3312 has more traditional contlrols and a little more power. On the other hand, reading the dedicted threads for these two receivers, it "seems" like more there are more issues with Denon series. (Just a casual observation, I have not made any detailed counts or tallies) Also, it "seems" like there are more former Denon owners that switched to Marantz than vise-veresa. Again, just a causual observation, not based on any hard evidence.

Decisions Decision...
post #25 of 31 Old 01-20-2012, 05:42 AM

I have a Marantz SR6003 (love it) and I am thinking about upgrade.

The Denon 3312CI and Marantz SR6006 looks like the same, sharing a common digital processing and audio amplification plataform.

Both have in common key features:
- Frontal HDMI input
- Dual HDMI output
- PLL for jitter reducer

The difference in power is probably more conservative Marantz rating.

Look at the inside pictures of both receivers and they are almost the same.

Same cables, digital circuits boards, transfomers, capacitors (12000uF each), heat dissipators.

The key difference is the sonic signature (the third octave a little up in the Marantz).

Also IMHO the Marantz looks better.
LL
LL
post #26 of 31 Old 01-20-2012, 06:42 AM
AJF
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinosd View Post

I am looking at the same two receivers - REALLY tough desicision! Feature wise, they seem to be nearly identical. I like the look and uniqueness of the Marantz and the "porthole", not to mention the legacy of the name, but am concerned, that I will not adjust well to the lack of controls on the faceplate as well as the limited information that the porthole provides. I think the Denon would respond to my existing habits. If I want to change radio stations as I'm passing by, for example just quickly press the approriate button(s). I don't need to search for the remote which will be no where near the unit itsef, and fumble for the tiny button. Using the i-gadget "sounds" cool, but that would be equally inconveinent to locate.

The 3312 has more traditional contlrols and a little more power. On the other hand, reading the dedicted threads for these two receivers, it "seems" like more there are more issues with Denon series. (Just a casual observation, I have not made any detailed counts or tallies) Also, it "seems" like there are more former Denon owners that switched to Marantz than vise-veresa. Again, just a causual observation, not based on any hard evidence.

Decisions Decision...

dino if you have a BestBuy/Magnolia dealer near you, they usually have both receivers set-up in the demo room for you to play around with so I think that would be a something to do that might help you decide.

BTW, after all the problems I had with the Denon which I bought at a good discount on-line, I decided to buy the Marantz at BB at a smaller discount because you can return it within 30 days. As a matter of fact, I originally bought the 5006 then exchanged it for the 6006 the same day because it had more features.
post #27 of 31 Old 01-20-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
I was under the impression that to compare these two models and brands for the Marantz you would need to compare the 7005 to the features in the 3311/3312. Is this incorrect? JD can you answer this for me?
post #28 of 31 Old 01-20-2012, 07:00 AM
585-645-1006

^^
AFAIK, just as the 7005 is pretty much a clone of the 3311CI, the same can be said for the 6006 and the 3312CI.

"JD" –

post #29 of 31 Old 01-20-2012, 09:07 AM

[quote=AJF;21521232]dino if you have a BestBuy/Magnolia dealer near you, they usually have both receivers set-up in the demo room for you to play around with so I think that would be a something to do that might help you decide. QUOTE]

Yeah, I tried the Magnolia visit. Unfortunately, the closest one, the listening room was a cluster... (maybe I better say) "somewhat dysfunctional" Half of the receivers only had one channel connected. Another good portion, including the SR6006 weren't connected at all. The sales goofs seemed to not care and had very little product knowledge. There are several BB stores in town, I guess I should check if another one has a Magnolia, hopefully in better condition and try try again!
post #30 of 31 Old 01-20-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:

^^
AFAIK, just as the 7005 is pretty much a clone of the 3311CI, the same can be said for the 6006 and the 3312CI.

Can we assume that will likely be a new 7006 on the horizon? That would screw up my selection process and budget!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr3312ci Receiver , Marantz Sr6006 Av Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page