Understanding Potential Damage to Speakers - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-07-2012, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I've done some googling and reading on the threads but I'd rather not make a very costly mistake so I'll ask a very specific question.

I have an amplifier rated to deliver 500Wpc at 4Ohm (Anthem Statement P5, assuming you have 2 circuits dedicated to it). I do not, intentionally. I wanted to buy an amplifier that was futureproof for my next space (a new house) but could serve my purposes today. My logic is that if I present it with half the amperage/wattage (1 circuit), I should get half the capacity which puts me significantly closer to reasonable numbers for my 4Ohm nominal impedance speakers in Confidence C1/Center and Contours. This could be completely fallacious so correct me if I'm wrong.

Today, while watching How to Train Your Dragon on TV, I started to hear some cracking/popping noises in the speakers which of course was a large cause for concern. My question is this - I do not listen at THX reference (80dB?) - typically more like -10 to -20 relative, depending on the source. How does this translate into what load the speakers are presenting to the amplifier? I do not hear any bottoming out/etc. and I hadn't heard anything indicative of an issue until today. I want to be careful and want to have a firm understanding of the system's limitations.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-07-2012, 09:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 56
That movie has some serious low frequency content and suggests that the speakers may not be made for it, assuming they're being run full range as I suspect.

Running the P5 from a dedicated 15A circuit instead 20A or two 15s (one per power cord) merely means that the breaker in the service panel would trip sooner, assuming the amp is made to work hard enough for a sustained period. Aside from such a circuit interruption there is no difference in what the amp would deliver relative to line circuit capacity.

The most important noise floor is in your head. Always remember to protect your hearing.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-07-2012, 09:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I think Nick has a good idea. Go into your receiver menu, and set your speakers to small if possible.

I remember a scene in Star Wars, that caused nasty sounds until I manually adjusted my speaker's crossover to 60hz. I think YPAO set it to 40hz, and that was more than they could handle with super low bass parts in movies.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #4 of 6 Old 01-08-2012, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Good to know - that's probably what it was. I tried to reproduce it earlier and could not, even with demo material I knew to have some serious low frequency. They were set to 40Hz by Audyssey which I was hesitant about but.. eh. I'll set them to 60 and let the Fathom do all the sub-60 duty. Thanks.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-08-2012, 03:26 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked: 1321
^^
The AVR will set a speaker to Full Range/LARGE with 40hz crossover if it detects the speaker can handle < 50hz in your listening environment; however, the Audyssey recommendation is to set all speakers to SMALL with minimum of 60hz or 80hz crossover.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6 of 6 Old 01-19-2012, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

Turns out this issue persists - heard it again today.

Tried setting the crossover even higher; it still occurs. Additionally, turned the volume lower and it's still present but only at certain frequencies. Checked the speakers for obvious damage and didn't see anything - perhaps it's an issue with the processor or the amplifier?

Also looking to purchase a Panamax - might that help?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page