AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOH View Post

where did you get it?

As a dealer, direct from Onkyo. So, if there was any doubt if it was really coming...the 5509 is finally arriving.
post #93 of 132 Old 09-27-2012, 09:34 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Man View Post

As a dealer, direct from Onkyo. So, if there was any doubt if it was really coming...the 5509 is finally arriving.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

So, are you saying you've stocked them? When I spoke w/Onkyo while @ Cedia, they did say soon, a few weeks,... by the end of September. They're arrived in numbers, or merely a one off?

Thanks

------------------------------------
Flat, Deep, Clean, Linear, and Loud
Active 16.8kw, 7.3 system
(3)Seaton Cat12C up front, (4)QSC K8 sides/rears
(2)Seaton SubM-HP, (4)18" IB
post #94 of 132 Old 09-27-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Just off phone with Misha at Eiki Intl., here is what she said:

"I know that dealers have them on for pre-orders. You have
to put in your order, because if we do not get enough pre-orders
we will not bring them over"

Will wait until the market is flooded so I can lowball. DHC-80.3
until then.
post #95 of 132 Old 09-27-2012, 10:17 AM
TL5
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
^^^^^

Just curious....being that the DHC-80.3 you own is just about identical to the 5509 - why would you want the 5509?
post #96 of 132 Old 09-27-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by TL5 View Post

^^^^^
Just curious....being that the DHC-80.3 you own is just about identical to the 5509 - why would you want the 5509?

+1
post #97 of 132 Old 09-27-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks, I appreciate it.
So, are you saying you've stocked them? When I spoke w/Onkyo while @ Cedia, they did say soon, a few weeks,... by the end of September. They're arrived in numbers, or merely a one off?
Thanks

I don't know what numbers are available, but for Onkyo direct dealers they are available now. Direct dealers tend to not order large inventories since they are typically doing a larger project for a client rather than a la carte sale of an item. Higher end items like the 5509 (plus an amp) don't go into every system, therefore they tend to be ordered in pretty small quantities by custom dealers...and often only when they have projects on contract in which they will be placed. In other words, often ordered on demand. The good news is that they are pretty darn quick.
post #98 of 132 Old 09-27-2012, 03:08 PM

Would love to purchase one at a good price. Crutchfield wants full price. Can't find any other dealers. Trying to get a hold of someone at ABT. If anyone has any success in locating one at a good price, please post or pm me.

Klipsch RF-7II(2)
Klipsch RC-64II
Klipsch RS-62II(2)
Klipsch Cornwalls(2)
Velodyne HGS-15
HSU VTF-15H
Marantz AV8801
Emotiva XPA-5
Emotiva XPA-3(2)
OPPO BDP-103
JVC DLA-X3 (121" screen)
post #99 of 132 Old 09-27-2012, 03:42 PM

Liked: 10
The 5509 is now on onkyo usa site. I bet the 5509 wont be sold too far from msrp just like the integra 80.3
post #100 of 132 Old 09-27-2012, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by promike View Post

Would love to purchase one at a good price. Crutchfield wants full price. Can't find any other dealers. Trying to get a hold of someone at ABT. If anyone has any success in locating one at a good price, please post or pm me.

The Cam Man is at your service.. wink.gifsmile.gif
post #101 of 132 Old 09-29-2012, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbash View Post

The 5509 is now on onkyo usa site. I bet the 5509 wont be sold too far from msrp just like the integra 80.3

Haha, think twice, forum rules don't allow me to disclose though.

Link to USA site:

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?m=PR-SC5509&class=Preamplifier&p=i

Interestingly a third seller appeared on Google Shopping and when i chatted they said they had it, then when i called they said the 2 units had been sold, good resellerratings too. Just playing the game and baiting as usual.
post #102 of 132 Old 10-23-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Got her last night.

First the whole thing is a low-key discrete affair. Much more finished look and feel than the Integra, primarily because of the 3 piece anti-vibration casing and the flat front with metal covered volume knob,

The front plate is cold to the touch and solid feeling, flips with a solid feel, bit like the delayed retracting OMG handles in my Audi:) The different decoding modes are etched with a special treatment in the metal rather than painted, and are hidden on th top of unit.

I hope Nismo604 would not mind me reposting:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1360965/integra-dhc-80-3/1950#post_21863399

I am very happy with this DHC-80.3 to PR-SC5509 swap, and that another AVS member got my old unit at a very good price.

So no Classe SSP-800 for me, just too cheap to shell out that kind of dough i guess, i am very happy with my system now.

Tip 1: Harmony users don't forget to program a TX-NR5009 into the interface or lose all "Net" controls. Also go to the device menu in the interface and program all individual buttons or have a painful setup due to lack of preprog. direction and enter buttons.

Tip 2: 120mm fan resting over rear left top vent slots, with a 12v trigger out to your low current power conditioner.
post #103 of 132 Old 10-24-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobpaule View Post

Got her last night.
First the whole thing is a low-key discrete affair. Much more finished look and feel than the Integra, primarily because of the 3 piece anti-vibration casing and the flat front with metal covered volume knob,
The front plate is cold to the touch and solid feeling, flips with a solid feel, bit like the delayed retracting OMG handles in my Audi:) The different decoding modes are etched with a special treatment in the metal rather than painted, and are hidden on th top of unit.
I hope Nismo604 would not mind me reposting:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1360965/integra-dhc-80-3/1950#post_21863399

I am very happy with this DHC-80.3 to PR-SC5509 swap, and that another AVS member got my old unit at a very good price.
So no Classe SSP-800 for me, just too cheap to shell out that kind of dough i guess, i am very happy with my system now.
Tip 1: Harmony users don't forget to program a TX-NR5009 into the interface or lose all "Net" controls. Also go to the device menu in the interface and program all individual buttons or have a painful setup due to lack of preprog. direction and enter buttons.
Tip 2: 120mm fan resting over rear left top vent slots, with a 12v trigger out to your low current power conditioner.
Very nice! Congrats. smile.gif
post #104 of 132 Old 10-30-2012, 03:01 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

So, in th US, these are supposedly available? Where would one buy one?

I spoke w/Crutchfield yesterday, they told me not yet available.

post #105 of 132 Old 10-31-2012, 09:31 AM

Liked: 13
This beast does, in fact, exist, and mine was drop-shipped from Onkyo's warehouse.

I have not had time to give it a thorough workout but here are my initial impressions. Those of you familiar with the Integra DHC-80.3 might already know these things, but coming from a PR-SC5508 it's all new to me.

1) The OSD has been updated; it's now 1080p compatible, and overlay compatible, but it runs at a much lower resolution... so it seems kinda fuzzy when upscaled. The volume OSD now works properly while displaying 3d content as well.

2) Most of the relay clicking seems gone, but i did not have much chance to give it a thorough check-out last night. I still feel like my 2011 Denon did a better job flipping between resolution modes, but this is improved over the PR-SC5508.

3) Audyssey has 2 modes, a quick mode which sets speaker distance and crossover points, and a full calibration mode. So far I have only run the quick check. Default Audyssey setting was for 2 subwoofers.

4) The net/usb screen is refreshed, though the irksome remote operation is still the same (having to switch between NET/USB mode and Receiver mode).

5) This is a big upgrade in the looks department, though the drop-down front panel takes a bit to get used to. New volume knob and blue display (instead of the old green).

6) It seems like there are more options for 12V trigger assignability, as opposed to straight up Zone 1 / 2 / 3 for trigger outputs A / B / C.

7) I forgot to run a firmware update check, but I will post any info I get on that shortly.
post #106 of 132 Old 10-31-2012, 11:21 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

Care to offer any details how you ordered it?

Just spoke at length with Onkyo US. They're not available currently, and no estimate or time-line for availability whatsoever.

Crutchfield, on the other hand, just changed their PR-SC-5509 order page,.... to "availability expected 11/12/12". So, movement.

I'm glad I'm not actually depending on this purchase, as my current primary system config is tooling along just fine. Ultimately, I'll need two pre-pros for two entirely separate systems. I'd like to play/experiment with this, see how the big Marantz pre-pro shakes out (keeping an eye on Denon), see if there's an Integra 80.4, .... then act accordingly. It's nice not being in a hurry, or being in a bind, etc.

Thanks

post #107 of 132 Old 10-31-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb6752 View Post

This beast does, in fact, exist, and mine was drop-shipped from Onkyo's warehouse.
I have not had time to give it a thorough workout but here are my initial impressions. Those of you familiar with the Integra DHC-80.3 might already know these things, but coming from a PR-SC5508 it's all new to me.
1) The OSD has been updated; it's now 1080p compatible, and overlay compatible, but it runs at a much lower resolution... so it seems kinda fuzzy when upscaled. The volume OSD now works properly while displaying 3d content as well.
2) Most of the relay clicking seems gone, but i did not have much chance to give it a thorough check-out last night. I still feel like my 2011 Denon did a better job flipping between resolution modes, but this is improved over the PR-SC5508.
3) Audyssey has 2 modes, a quick mode which sets speaker distance and crossover points, and a full calibration mode. So far I have only run the quick check. Default Audyssey setting was for 2 subwoofers.
4) The net/usb screen is refreshed, though the irksome remote operation is still the same (having to switch between NET/USB mode and Receiver mode).
5) This is a big upgrade in the looks department, though the drop-down front panel takes a bit to get used to. New volume knob and blue display (instead of the old green).
6) It seems like there are more options for 12V trigger assignability, as opposed to straight up Zone 1 / 2 / 3 for trigger outputs A / B / C.
7) I forgot to run a firmware update check, but I will post any info I get on that shortly.

The display is blue? this is a plus in my book and just may give it the nod over the 80.3 or Marantz (if and when and how much), I've never been a fan of the green display. On a different note hopefully the delay is produce a better unit and address some QC issues which is my main reason for looking at the Marantz 8801.
post #108 of 132 Old 11-01-2012, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Glad to see that somebody has it.

I was starting to wonder if it was a reality for those of us in the US.
post #109 of 132 Old 11-04-2012, 04:05 AM

Liked: 13
Hi guys,

Sorry I didn't reply a bit earlier, the avs email alerts were being eaten by my junkmail filters.

I apologize, the display is still green, but the new volume knob is blue. I think the rest of the ...09 onkyo series had this as well. The one volume knob now works for zone 2 and 3 as well, you hit the zone button and then turn the knob to adjust for that zone. the PR-SC5508 had left/right arrows under the front door that you used.

Other impressions - I ran the full MultEQ XT32 and I personally don't really like it I need to find some time and get out spectrum analyzer software and listen to what's going on but it makes my PSB Synchrony Ones sound... harsh in the trebles? It was the same on the PR-SC5508.

And let's be honest, if you don't like the Audyssey XT32, and you don't need balanced outputs (which i use but probably don't have to) then you can probably get a Denon AV7701 or AV7005 and save some coin. I really don't know, reviewers love the DHC-80.3 and so many forum members love MultEQ XT32, but for me it just doesn't seem right.

As far as buying one of these things, Abt.com has them in stock, and it looks our friend Chris at Cleveland Plasma is an Onkyo dealer, so you probably have some options now.
post #110 of 132 Old 11-04-2012, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
With my 5508 after running Audyssey I found it the opposite of "harsh," rather it is laid back and lacking in treble. I have since found a workaround.
post #111 of 132 Old 11-04-2012, 05:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb6752 View Post

Hi guys,
Sorry I didn't reply a bit earlier, the avs email alerts were being eaten by my junkmail filters.
I apologize, the display is still green, but the new volume knob is blue. I think the rest of the ...09 onkyo series had this as well. The one volume knob now works for zone 2 and 3 as well, you hit the zone button and then turn the knob to adjust for that zone. the PR-SC5508 had left/right arrows under the front door that you used.
Other impressions - I ran the full MultEQ XT32 and I personally don't really like it I need to find some time and get out spectrum analyzer software and listen to what's going on but it makes my PSB Synchrony Ones sound... harsh in the trebles? It was the same on the PR-SC5508.
And let's be honest, if you don't like the Audyssey XT32, and you don't need balanced outputs (which i use but probably don't have to) then you can probably get a Denon AV7701 or AV7005 and save some coin. I really don't know, reviewers love the DHC-80.3 and so many forum members love MultEQ XT32, but for me it just doesn't seem right.
As far as buying one of these things, Abt.com has them in stock, and it looks our friend Chris at Cleveland Plasma is an Onkyo dealer, so you probably have some options now.

Audyssey works fine for standard cases, as modeled by the developers, but needs extra care when handling specific situations, which deviate from the standard situation.
Many problems mentioned seem to come from difficulties identifying the right measuring positions and follwing some basic advice for less than optimal speaker and seating positions.
post #112 of 132 Old 11-04-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

With my 5508 after running Audyssey I found it the opposite of "harsh," rather it is laid back and lacking in treble. I have since found a workaround.

To be honest as I narrow down my choices of getting a new preamp/processor, I must admit my expectations of rc are getting low when I hear about the negative affects on the mains which I want to be virtually untouched! This leads me to possibly pursue an alternative plan as I really begin to really think about what it is I'm aiming for and that is better bass integration to my existing setup this would be cheaper by a few bucks and get the hopefully desired result, As Hdmi is a pure headache and I prefer a direct to display connection and avoid lipsync issues.

1. add an Halo P7 to my Anthem avm 20 to get a better 2ch sound for DSD and stereo playback ( with a possible replacement of my Oppo 95 to a 105 if it sounds better)!

2. add an Antimode 2.0 to correct the bass and add an additional sub, with no harm to the mains. as they sound sweet from existing room treatments!

There are cons to this such as the no 7.1 or 9.1 or ?? but I already feel 5.1 is good enough!

Man Oh Man what to do?
post #113 of 132 Old 11-04-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Apart from the slightly laid back sound resulting from Audyssey XT32, I've found it essential for listening. The work around provides a flatter curve than the stock Audyssey one, it doesn't negate any of its positive effects.
post #114 of 132 Old 11-08-2012, 05:50 AM
FOH
AVS Special Member

I need two Pe-Pros, so I ordered a 5509 last night.

I'll see how I like it and proceed to a decision for my second one for my primary system.

post #115 of 132 Old 11-10-2012, 09:14 AM

Liked: 14
Id like t jump on this but thinking about waiting for next models. I would like it to have the 32 bit asynch usb port so I can plug lap top directly into it. I wonder how long it will be before Onkyo starts including this??
post #116 of 132 Old 11-10-2012, 05:01 PM
FOH
AVS Special Member

I understand wanting to wait, but with PrePros, etc, things move so fast, you just have to jump in and not worry.

There's always going to be some new product looming behind your purchase. Essentially with every other aspect of audio, one doesn't encounter the changes found within the AVR/PrePro segment. Even if one's certain a new product with the latest widget is out next week,....it could very well be flawed in some regard that the known, well vetted current product isn't.

Jump in, don't look back.

Focus on acoustics/loudspeakers, and aspects that significantly impact the reproduction. cool.gif

post #117 of 132 Old 11-24-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

They may be in short supply, but they are available to direct dealers like myself. I ordered one to replace my 886, and have it on hand.
post #118 of 132 Old 11-24-2012, 08:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Yes, they are available to dealer's , lol. Why would they not be if it is a released item in the US?

As a dealer myself, one or two will not do though, 10 or 20 will for a week or so........wink.gif

I will say it is no fun to have an item to yourself. That is why I got into the business, to help others and together we can enjoy !
post #119 of 132 Old 11-24-2012, 11:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Yes, they are available to dealer's , lol. Why would they not be if it is a released item in the US?
As a dealer myself, one or two will not do though, 10 or 20 will for a week or so........wink.gif

The answer to your question is because it might not be in warehouse stock even for direct dealers from time to time. There's been a week or two where I couldn't get one when I needed it because they weren't in stock in the Onkyo warehouses. Onkyo clearly doesn't expect the 5509 to share the volume AVR niche. Ours is not a volume business model, so Onkyo does fine for us even on the 5509.

"I will say it is no fun to have an item to yourself. That is why I got into the business, to help others and together we can enjoy !"

I suspect just about everybody who wants it will be able to find it. smile.gif
post #120 of 132 Old 12-07-2012, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:

I understand wanting to wait, but with PrePros, etc, things move so fast, you just have to jump in and not worry.
seems like all electronics do now........
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page