Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 50 Old 01-11-2012, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamede View Post

Been saying this for ages. But its not only the manufacturers that are stuck in a time warp. Consumers are quite happy to keep buying these crippled, planned-obsolesence products that dont even have the horsepower of a low end Android or previous generation Iphone, let alone the quality of user interface.

Dont expect any change to this industry MO at CES.

Hahaha, well I am glad I am not the only one Most of their current upscaling and audio horsepower comes from hard-wired chips that do the decoding/upscaling/etc. With a really powerful processor in there they could probably get rid of many of the proprietary chips and have a fully-reconfigurable receiver for almost any future tech. A guy can dream
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 01-11-2012, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by panopticon2 View Post

Hahaha, well I am glad I am not the only one Most of their current upscaling and audio horsepower comes from hard-wired chips that do the decoding/upscaling/etc. With a really powerful processor in there they could probably get rid of many of the proprietary chips and have a fully-reconfigurable receiver for almost any future tech. A guy can dream

That's the problem, isn't it. That implies a shift to long term relationships and a mentality of selling software and support instead of pushing a new set of boxes full of air around the world every year. Simply not equipped for this. As a result, we are pretty much guaranteed that each year will see marginal creep in functionality at best. If anything at all.
post #33 of 50 Old 01-11-2012, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Perhaps it might hurt the high-end sales even more than they are already being hit but I'd love for the manufacturer/Audyssey to preload or offer for download every version of Audyssey on all of the receivers (obviously based on the receiver's other abilities such as 5.1 versus 7.1, etc). Hardware requirements for different versions I can't imagine vary greatly. I'm guessing it's more licensing fees.

This would give you the opportunity to purchase whatever version you wish. Of course if they wanted to they could provide a certain version out of the box (based on its price). It would also allow you to upgrade as new versions are released... again perhaps hurting sales.

I'm just not sure they couldn't make it back by selling versions at a hefty margin. Say you can activate or download MultEQ XT for $99... the gross margin of sales is very high as in delivering the product and the window remains open for future sales. Not being their bean counter I can't say if they would come out ahead...

That's a really good idea. I would have no problem paying an extra fee for XT32. The difference between the 3311 and the 4311 was $1000 when I picked up the 3311 so that was a huge increase for XT32. Sure the 4311 offers extra features and power over the 3311 but I am quite happy with 5 channels so I have no need for a receiver than can do 11 channels. It would be great if I could just upgrade the version of Audyssey. They just need to put the processing power in every receiver to be able to handle it. I am sure a lot of people would end up upgrading to the next version of Audyssey if the prices are reasonable so they would probably make a good amount of money with it.
post #34 of 50 Old 01-11-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

We really need a receiver that can play high audio quality youtube videos. It's possible there's a new TV or new blu-ray player without that capability. I doubt it, but it is possible.

I'm so glad Onkyo decided that was useful. Much more important than having better audyssey on lower end models or being able to drive 9 or 11 channels with internal amps.

You are aware that YouTube does stream some HD stuff today....

However, before high quality video streaming is feasible, our broad band national network needs upgrading.. We rank very far beyond compared to other countries..

Also we need some additional post-processing S/W to cover some of the packet dropouts we now experience..

Just my $0.02...
post #35 of 50 Old 01-11-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roognation View Post

I hear that D&M Holdings is at the Renaissance. Anyone confirm?

Correcto..
Check my post in the other CES thread..

Just my $0.02..
post #36 of 50 Old 01-11-2012, 05:45 PM

i'm searching all over the internet for info on new AVR's at CES, but its as if there's not even a single new AVR present at the show.
At least its not being showed....
post #37 of 50 Old 01-11-2012, 07:06 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSkyline View Post

i'm searching all over the internet for info on new AVR's at CES, but its as if there's not even a single new AVR present at the show.

I've noticed that too! I sincerely hope the media is not failing to report on audio components this year.

2 Hometheaters
9 HDTV's (LCD, LED, Plasma and DLPs, 32" to 65")
4 Computers (1 laptop, 3 desktops)
6 Gaming consoles (1 PS2, 2 PS3, 1 XB, 2 XB360)
80+ total video games
1 iTouch
1 iPad 2
post #38 of 50 Old 01-11-2012, 07:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

that would be rather difficult to believe... "the media" is hardly a cohesive force that acts as one...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #39 of 50 Old 01-11-2012, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSkyline View Post

The AVRs are either @ the Venetian or the Renaissance in private suites..
However due to the overwhelming coverage for other CE categories such as 3D HD video, tablets, wireless stuff, smart phones..
The CES is no longer the primary introduction place for AVRs, this is now revised and scheduled more for Fall timing both for the IFA euro show and the CEDIA/Installer show..

Just my $0.02...
post #40 of 50 Old 01-11-2012, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterkit View Post

Supposedly there are some new features from Audyssey. I suspect they will be on one of these mfr's models. Anyone who is at CES please take the time to look.

Two so far, covered on Engadget, I think: a system for tv's to EQ their sound, and a system on a chip kind of thing for uses like car stereo manufacturers to easily add EQ to car stereos.
post #41 of 50 Old 01-12-2012, 12:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 461
I've been only in the convention center and can safely say I encountered no evidence of AVRs there.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working.
post #42 of 50 Old 01-12-2012, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

I've been only in the convention center and can safely say I encountered no evidence of AVRs there.

They are at the venetian
post #43 of 50 Old 01-12-2012, 12:07 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post

They are at the venetian

Ok so would any one who is at the Venitian go take a look please

I would love to see an updated version of The Marantz including the latest Audyssey tech such as Audyssey LFC
Audyssey DSX
Dynamic EQ
Dynamic Volume
MultEQ XT32
post #44 of 50 Old 01-13-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPark View Post

I honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. My best guess is no, but I'm not positive.

Yeah. I'm not interested in watching HQ videos of people shooting flames out of their arse on Youtube either! When/If Youtube offers anything of value, then I might want my AVR to process it! Even TV eps have to spread out over 6-10 Youtube videos because of the length restriction.

I just want high quality AV processing of Bluray and TV, and all of the latest formats including Neo, and 11 channel capability. Once I buy, I'm set for quite a few years. So if Denon wants my cash, they need to step it up!
post #45 of 50 Old 01-13-2012, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetGod View Post

I've noticed that too! I sincerely hope the media is not failing to report on audio components this year.

They are getting just like their "news" media brethren. Reporting only on the new, "sexy" iBlend and iFart gadgets at CES and ignoring what people really want to know. This is why I think that CES will soon go the way of the dodo bird. Already, reports are that major exhibitors have no plans to attend CES in coming years.
post #46 of 50 Old 01-28-2012, 06:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I have a quick question...I currently own the Denon 4810 with Audyssey XT would upgrading to the Denon 4311 with XT32 utilizing the Denon in pre/pro mode be better sound quality than the 4810. I'm currently using Emotiva ERM-6.2 fronts, ERM-6.3 center, three pairs of ERD-1's for heights, rear surrounds and side surrounds with dual Epik Legend subs. I also have Emotiva XPA 5 x 2 for amps.

Thanks
post #47 of 50 Old 01-28-2012, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I meant to mention that I listen to two channel and multi channel music about 50% of the time. I have also contemplated purchasing the Anthem MRX-300 in which I would eliminate the rear surrounds and utilize the heights for PLIIz.

Just wondering what would be a better upgrade.
post #48 of 50 Old 01-28-2012, 06:09 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 1406
^^
Although the answer is most likely yes, this isn't really the best thread to ask ... rather post in the Denon 4311CI Owner's thread as IIRC there have been a few former 4810CI owner's who have made the jump to the 4311CI. Also note, the 4810CI successor should be released later this fall.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1274153

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #49 of 50 Old 01-28-2012, 08:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzikal-JRNE View Post

Audyssey is limited by the signal processing power of the chipset in the receiver.
Ex. 2EQ receiver could never run MultiEQ XT, or MultiEQ XT receiver could never run XT32, etc...

In general, yes, but XT32 will run with the same resources needed for XT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panopticon2 View Post

There is no good reason in 2012 that they couldn't put a processor with enough power into every receiver to do at least what the smart-tvs are doing for very little cost.

They look at every single purchased inclusion as a significant cost item which is why they have limited DSP in cheaper models. It is not the same as a custom control chip which is cheaper to buy in larger quantities.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #50 of 50 Old 02-03-2012, 12:05 PM

While gleaning the Web for some info on any upcoming Marantz products, I came across this something, something on the Horizon to keep in mind for future consideration. Object based 3-D Spatial Audio processing over the current 2-D planar standard. I know I'd bite as an enthusiast if it ever took off.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2398588,00.asp

No luck on finding any new Marantz products though. Have an NR1602 in my bedroon and have been holding off on the UD5005. Just an announcement on what they plan to release this year would be good enough for me to base a decision on whether I'd wait for it or not but I guess that would hurt existing product sales.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page