Denon/Marantz/Onkyo at CES 2012? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 50 Old 01-10-2012, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anybody heard if Denon, Marantz or Onkyo are rolling out new receivers at CES this week?

I havent seen any coverage of them since TVs seem to be overwhelming the news with the new OLEDs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 01-10-2012, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah, I would like to know this also; I've been coming to this forum all morning to see if anyone posts an announcement from one of the major companies.
post #3 of 50 Old 01-10-2012, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah a lot of their receivers are getting long in the tooth, especially Marantz and Denon.
post #4 of 50 Old 01-10-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I haven't found anywhere on the intertoobz if Denon is there (I would assume they are) and showing a shiny new AVR4313 -- although I wish they would come up with a 4812/13!

I was about to pull the trigger on a 4311 2-3 months ago but then decided that I should wait for the long rumored 4313 since CES was just weeks away. Now, CES is here and I can find nothing about it. SOMEBODY at CES, PLEASE get over to the Denon booth and let us know!
post #5 of 50 Old 01-10-2012, 11:43 AM

I hear that D&M Holdings is at the Renaissance. Anyone confirm?

<< resistance is /dev/null
>> roognation
post #6 of 50 Old 01-10-2012, 12:07 PM

Liked: 11
Supposedly there are some new features from Audyssey. I suspect they will be on one of these mfr's models. Anyone who is at CES please take the time to look.
post #7 of 50 Old 01-10-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, any AVS member at CES .. The 'toobz are full of coverage about the latest low-res audio iThingies, and the new gadget that makes your iPad into a Vegematic. Apparently -- judging by the useless coverage I've perused on the internet -- we are the only people who want the latest info about the latest high-end AV gear.
post #8 of 50 Old 01-10-2012, 12:29 PM

Onkyo has to have something to show off. Unless their booth is just lined with papers talking about mobile HD, HDMI preview, and cloud storage...
post #9 of 50 Old 01-10-2012, 12:37 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked: 1604
Quote:
Originally Posted by roognation View Post

I hear that D&M Holdings is at the Renaissance. Anyone confirm?

According to the CES website D&M is in one of the Renaissance Hospitality Suites which is where I believe they were last year as well, so off the beaten track a little ways. IIRC there were no new AVRs announced at last year's CES, however, likely either M Code or Roger Dressler will be there and will let us know for sure.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Daily 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too if you leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #10 of 50 Old 01-10-2012, 12:40 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLnut View Post

I haven't found anywhere on the intertoobz if Denon is there (I would assume they are) and showing a shiny new AVR4313 -- although I wish they would come up with a 4812/13!

The new Denon 4313CI will be replacing both the 4311CI and the 4810CI and will be Denon's new flagship model going forward. It is supposed to include Audyssey's new LFC feature, although more information likely won't be available until April when the other XX13 model information is released.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer Elite, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
post #11 of 50 Old 01-10-2012, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Onkyo did indeed promise something with those new HDMI-input browsing chips.
post #12 of 50 Old 01-10-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The new Denon 4313CI will be replacing both the 4311CI and the 4810CI and will be Denon's new flagship model going forward. It is supposed to include Audyssey's new LFC feature, although more information likely won't be available until April when the other XX13 model information is released.

I know that it's still a couple of months or three from availability. But I WAS hoping they would at least show a preview of the new AVR line. The 43xx/48xx, 9-to-11 channel line is getting pretty dated and as much as I would like to know that Denon will be coming out with newer models in the next 2-4 months, I'm not willing to hold my breath much longer! Pioneer and Onkyo could also win my business if Denon doesn't up its game quick. I would also consider Yamaha if only they would stop being such proprietary cheapskates!
post #13 of 50 Old 01-10-2012, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:

I know that it's still a couple of months or three from availability. But I WAS hoping they would at least show a preview of the new AVR line. The 43xx/48xx, 9-to-11 channel line is getting pretty dated and as much as I would like to know that Denon will be coming out with newer models in the next 2-4 months, I'm not willing to hold my breath much longer! Pioneer and Onkyo could also win my business if Denon doesn't up its game quick. I would also consider Yamaha if only they would stop being such proprietary cheapskates!

I don't see a reason why they needed to replace the 4311 last year. The only new feature it was missing is NEO X. I would still take the 4311 over many of the receivers out there in its price range. None of the current Onkyos or Pioneers can do 11 channels so it's still a step ahead in some aspects.
post #14 of 50 Old 01-10-2012, 06:21 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:

IIRC, nothing was released on the XX12 models until April 2011 so no reason to believe it would be any different with the XX13 models.

post #15 of 50 Old 01-10-2012, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

All this has happened before, all this will happen again

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1304597
post #16 of 50 Old 01-10-2012, 06:46 PM

Well I hope not, but it does look that way. I was really hoping to buy myself an onkyo 8(10?) soon
post #17 of 50 Old 01-11-2012, 12:44 AM

While not an "announcement," it is at least an upcoming receiver showing off something new.
http://www.hometheater.com/content/t...nkyo-reportage
post #18 of 50 Old 01-11-2012, 03:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman1659 View Post

While not an "announcement," it is at least an upcoming receiver showing off something new.
http://www.hometheater.com/content/t...nkyo-reportage

We really need a receiver that can play high audio quality youtube videos. It's possible there's a new TV or new blu-ray player without that capability. I doubt it, but it is possible.

I'm so glad Onkyo decided that was useful. Much more important than having better audyssey on lower end models or being able to drive 9 or 11 channels with internal amps.
post #19 of 50 Old 01-11-2012, 03:37 AM

Liked: 14
I want to buy a Marantz 7005 pre pro but want to wait to see if they release a new unit this year.Anyone have any info???

EAP {First Fifty} OPPO BDP-83 BLU-RAY, Oppo BDP-93 First Batch Issued, Oppo BDP-103 First Batch Issued

post #20 of 50 Old 01-11-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

We really need a receiver that can play high audio quality youtube videos. It's possible there's a new TV or new blu-ray player without that capability. I doubt it, but it is possible.

I'm so glad Onkyo decided that was useful. Much more important than having better audyssey on lower end models or being able to drive 9 or 11 channels with internal amps.

I honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. My best guess is no, but I'm not positive.
post #21 of 50 Old 01-11-2012, 10:05 AM

Well, I think he was.

And me too would like to know if anything new is coming from Marantz regarding their pre-pro. I hope they have XT32 (if it was available on their current line, I'd have already bought that)
post #22 of 50 Old 01-11-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPark View Post

I honestly can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. My best guess is no, but I'm not positive.

I'm pretty sure he was. The Audyssey comment would make me think that it was a joke because if anything, Onkyo needs to get rid of 2EQ and start with MultEQ for their lower end receivers. The 609 is a beast but its hard to recommend when you can get something else with MultEQ XT for the same price. If the 610 has MultEQ it will be an easy choice in its price range. I would also like to see MultEQ XT32 be available at lower price points but I doubt that will happen. If the 1010 or 810 had it then I would jump ship in a heartbeat. I would much rather have XT32 than a 4K upscaler.
post #23 of 50 Old 01-11-2012, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 34
If anyone is at CES and has actually went to the Denon room can you please let us know if the AVR-4313CI has been shown or not...or any info given on it.

So far, I am not aware of anyone who has been and told us for a fact that there is nothing new that has been shown.
post #24 of 50 Old 01-11-2012, 12:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

That preview feature is also virtually guaranteed to add a few frames of latency to your output, especially enjoyable if you happen to route game consoles or a PC through your AVR. Responsive input for stupid thumbnails seems like a fair trade.
post #25 of 50 Old 01-11-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
Quote:

there's only about a zillion media players that will do this...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #26 of 50 Old 01-11-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpearce023 View Post

The Audyssey comment would make me think that it was a joke because if anything, Onkyo needs to get rid of 2EQ and start with MultEQ for their lower end receivers. The 609 is a beast but its hard to recommend when you can get something else with MultEQ XT for the same price. If the 610 has MultEQ it will be an easy choice in its price range. I would also like to see MultEQ XT32 be available at lower price points but I doubt that will happen.

Perhaps it might hurt the high-end sales even more than they are already being hit but I'd love for the manufacturer/Audyssey to preload or offer for download every version of Audyssey on all of the receivers (obviously based on the receiver's other abilities such as 5.1 versus 7.1, etc). Hardware requirements for different versions I can't imagine vary greatly. I'm guessing it's more licensing fees.

This would give you the opportunity to purchase whatever version you wish. Of course if they wanted to they could provide a certain version out of the box (based on its price). It would also allow you to upgrade as new versions are released... again perhaps hurting sales.

I'm just not sure they couldn't make it back by selling versions at a hefty margin. Say you can activate or download MultEQ XT for $99... the gross margin of sales is very high as in delivering the product and the window remains open for future sales. Not being their bean counter I can't say if they would come out ahead...
post #27 of 50 Old 01-11-2012, 01:47 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

Perhaps it might hurt the high-end sales even more than they are already being hit but I'd love for the manufacturer/Audyssey to preload or offer for download every version of Audyssey on all of the receivers (obviously based on the receiver's other abilities such as 5.1 versus 7.1, etc). Hardware requirements for different versions I can't imagine vary greatly. I'm guessing it's more licensing fees.

This would give you the opportunity to purchase whatever version you wish. Of course if they wanted to they could provide a certain version out of the box (based on its price). It would also allow you to upgrade as new versions are released... again perhaps hurting sales.

I'm just not sure they couldn't make it back by selling versions at a hefty margin. Say you can activate or download MultEQ XT for $99... the gross margin of sales is very high as in delivering the product and the window remains open for future sales. Not being their bean counter I can't say if they would come out ahead...

Audyssey is limited by the signal processing power of the chipset in the receiver.

Ex. 2EQ receiver could never run MultiEQ XT, or MultiEQ XT receiver could never run XT32, etc...

Cheers, Joe
post #28 of 50 Old 01-11-2012, 02:13 PM

Liked: 12
I too am very interested in any new Onkyo receiver models and especially any news of the new Onkyo integrated amplifier: A-9070.

2 Hometheaters
9 HDTV's (LCD, LED, Plasma and DLPs, 32" to 65")
4 Computers (1 laptop, 3 desktops)
6 Gaming consoles (1 PS2, 2 PS3, 1 XB, 2 XB360)
80+ total video games
1 iTouch
1 iPad 2
post #29 of 50 Old 01-11-2012, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzikal-JRNE View Post

Audyssey is limited by the signal processing power of the chipset in the receiver.

Ex. 2EQ receiver could never run MultiEQ XT, or MultiEQ XT receiver could never run XT32, etc...

There is no good reason in 2012 that they couldn't put a processor with enough power into every receiver to do at least what the smart-tvs are doing for very little cost. All current-gen reciever's UI and processing power seems to be stuck in the 90's.
post #30 of 50 Old 01-11-2012, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by panopticon2 View Post

There is no good reason in 2012 that they couldn't put a processor with enough power into every receiver to do at least what the smart-tvs are doing for very little cost. All current-gen reciever's UI and processing power seems to be stuck in the 90's.

Been saying this for ages. But its not only the manufacturers that are stuck in a time warp. Consumers are quite happy to keep buying these crippled, planned-obsolesence products that dont even have the horsepower of a low end Android or previous generation Iphone, let alone the quality of user interface.

At the moment receiver processing power is the barrier to improvement in room correction capabilties available to the consumer. And not for any good reason. The hardware exists and is decently priced. Particularly for input into AV receivers that should have a life expectancy of 5-8 years ie probably longer than a smartphone.

Dont expect any change to this industry MO at CES, though - all we'll get is more fiddling while Rome burns.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page