Harman Kardon Nightmare - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-10-2012, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a HK3490 stereo reciver that has gone into protection mode 3 times. The first time it was in the shop for six months! Now it has gone into protection mode again but my warranty ran out less than a month ago. What's the deal with this piece of junk?

The first time it blew up I was put in touch with Harman Kardon in the US and they said they would ship me a new one. That was untill they found out I lived in Canada. I was givin the number for customer support in Qubec and when I got ahold of them on the phone I was told I'd have to send it in for service. I found a place in my home province of BC that did HK warranty work and six months later recived it back. Several months later it did the same thing so I sent it in again. That time it was only gone for a couple of months.

Now it is less than one month since my warranty expired and it has done the same thing. This time I drove it myself to the repair shop instead of mailing it which was a five hour drive. When I got to the shop they told me it was no longer under warranty and I will have to pay for the repairs myself. This seems tottaly unreasonable to me because durring the warranty period it was in the shop for eight months. If I was a US customer this faulty unit would have been repalced the first time it broke.

At the least I would expect Harmon Kardon to fix this reciver under warranty. What I want is a replacement HK3490. It is obvious that this unit is a defective lemon and is beyond repair. If it is fixed again I'm sure it would do the same thing. I don't want to pay for repairs out of my own pocket when the problem is just band-aid fixed.

Has anyone else had similer problems with this reciver or Hardan Kardon?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-10-2012, 12:30 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruschkowski View Post

I have a HK3490 stereo reciver that has gone into protection mode 3 times. The first time it was in the shop for six months! Now it has gone into protection mode again but my warranty ran out less than a month ago. What's the deal with this piece of junk?

The first time it blew up I was put in touch with Harman Kardon in the US and they said they would ship me a new one. That was untill they found out I lived in Canada. I was givin the number for customer support in Qubec and when I got ahold of them on the phone I was told I'd have to send it in for service. I found a place in my home province of BC that did HK warranty work and six months later recived it back. Several months later it did the same thing so I sent it in again. That time it was only gone for a couple of months.

Now it is less than one month since my warranty expired and it has done the same thing. This time I drove it myself to the repair shop instead of mailing it which was a five hour drive. When I got to the shop they told me it was no longer under warranty and I will have to pay for the repairs myself. This seems tottaly unreasonable to me because durring the warranty period it was in the shop for eight months. If I was a US customer this faulty unit would have been repalced the first time it broke.

At the least I would expect Harmon Kardon to fix this reciver under warranty. What I want is a replacement HK3490. It is obvious that this unit is a defective lemon and is beyond repair. If it is fixed again I'm sure it would do the same thing. I don't want to pay for repairs out of my own pocket when the problem is just band-aid fixed.

Has anyone else had similer problems with this reciver or Hardan Kardon?

I had an AVR 254 go bad on me. It went to the local repair place and it was picked up without anything being done with it. I sent it in again, and this time I followed up with the Canadian distributor (Jam international?) and after some back-and-forth they agreed to send me a new unit (AVR2600)

I think it is unreasonable to have lost 8 month of your warranty because it was in the shop. I think you need to call the people who handle the Warranty and insist that the coverage is extended by the length of the repairs or, considering all the problems, ship out a new one. From what you have described, it isn't unreasonable to ask for that.
post #3 of 6 Old 01-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 65
any chance you used a credit card. I buy my electronics with my high interest rate card so i can get extended warranty.Just a thought
post #4 of 6 Old 01-10-2012, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Why would you let them have it for 6 months for goodness sake?

I bought a refurbished unit from ebay long ago, went into protction mode, I sent it back and forth from hawaii to hollywood repair center a total of THREE times repeatedly. Hk paid for all the shipping, on the third time to the repair center they said they talked to hk and hk would give me a brand new one and a better model.

They mailed me a brand new upgraded model that i had for 7 years with no problems.

PS... Everytime i got it back fom the repair center it would fail in about 20 seconds...Why would they ship it back to me like that?
post #5 of 6 Old 01-10-2012, 01:45 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by burts View Post

Why would you let them have it for 6 months for goodness sake?

I bought a refurbished unit from ebay long ago, went into protction mode, I sent it back and forth from hawaii to hollywood repair center a total of THREE times repeatedly. Hk paid for all the shipping, on the third time to the repair center they said they talked to hk and hk would give me a brand new one and a better model.

They mailed me a brand new upgraded model that i had for 7 years with no problems.

PS... Everytime i got it back fom the repair center it would fail in about 20 seconds...Why would they ship it back to me like that?

His problem is that he is not dealing with H/K. He is dealing with the company that handles distribution and warranty work for the H/K brand in Canada (and an incompetent repair centre). They have different rules when it comes to repair/replacements than H/K does.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-10-2012, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seonds View Post

His problem is that he is not dealing with H/K. He is dealing with the company that handles distribution and warranty work for the H/K brand in Canada (and an incompetent repair centre). They have different rules when it comes to repair/replacements than H/K does.

In other words HK warranties in the USA are very good - other places not so good since the importer handles all repairs. I bought an HK 247 AVR 3-4 years ago - long story short it went belly up - HK sent me a new 254 for replacement.

HK has a very good record when it comes to customer service in the USA - their products often don't reflect that stellar CS. Too bad since they used to make some of the best in the business.Not so much any longer.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page