Yamaha receiver subwoofer volume very low - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 50 Old 06-20-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Seems like I remember reading that the problem was solved by setting your main speakers to SMALL regardless of what they actually might be. I don't own a Yamaha but think I read this somewhere. ???

Hope it helps!

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 50 Old 06-20-2014, 07:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Interesting idea, but that would not explain the fact that the OP says the test tones don't play correctly. The test tones should put out a signal that's independent of the speaker setting.

That's why an SPL meter is useful, to ensure all is correct with the YPAO setup. But if I understand the OP, it's obvious the sub channel is very quiet when the test tones play

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #33 of 50 Old 06-21-2014, 05:40 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post
Seems like I remember reading that the problem was solved by setting your main speakers to SMALL regardless of what they actually might be. I don't own a Yamaha but think I read this somewhere. ???
Thank you Ed & Michael. I did set the speakers to Small. Did a sub crawl and ¨placed it in a better place, ran YPAO again, it set speakers to large, sub level at +6db, speakers around 0db, cross-ver 40hz, extra bass on. you can feel it vibrating, albeit for net radio the bass isn't too loud, and if i turn the gain up (currenltly below half) it sounds what i guess you call "boomy".
Now I set speakers to small again, crossover at 80, will try it on a movie tonight... on the test tones however it gives all but the faintest rumble, barely hearable, well below the other speakers. I think there's still something wrong, doesn't seem normal to have to run it at +6db with meager results.
post #34 of 50 Old 06-21-2014, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Sorry my suggestion didn't appear to help. I've been very tempted by the Yamaha 675 to replace my perfectly functioning Onkyo 609--only because all of the reported HDMI board failures have made me paranoid and the 675 is currently available for such a great price.
Hope you get it figured out!

Ed
post #35 of 50 Old 11-20-2014, 08:52 AM

Liked: 0
Hello,

Same issue with me!

Yamaha rx-v375, q acoustics 2020i speakers and svs pb-2000 subwoofer.
On the receiver: subwoofer set to on; all speakers set to small, crossover 80hz; phase normal (but also tried reverse); levels set to zero.
On the sub: Volume set to half, fase 0, crossover set to maximum (LFE).

With the previous settings I can barely hear the sub. If I turn sub volume to maximum and receiver sub level to +10db. The sub plays ok... not loud and not even good enough. I'm testing the sub on a small living room (4m x 3m / 13ft x 10ft) with almost no windows.

Connected the sub to a media player (600X3D) analog out with red and white RCA from the media player to R and L on the sub and the result was great... I am starting to think that there is some issue with the yamaha receivers with some subs....

Any help?
post #36 of 50 Old 01-29-2015, 05:11 AM

Liked: 10
I have the same receiver with the same issues: no subwoofer volume after trying two new subwoofers. I have tried a global reset with no improvement.

Ron Compton

Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance."
--Sam Brown

Anybody who knows all about nothing knows everything - physicist Leonard Susskind, Stanford University
post #37 of 50 Old 02-05-2015, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I'm glad I found this thread! Same problem over here!! I'm using the Yamaha V377 and the SVS PB-1000. I purchased the yamaha 12-23-14 and the SVS just a few weeks ago both brand new. Also using the Klipsch Quintet 5.0 satellite speaker system, also purchased last month. The way everyone was raving about the SVS sub I was definitely expecting more oomph. I spent time with SVS tech support, which is excellent by the way, and connected a cd player directly to the sub and concluded the sub was working fine. After reading this thread, I'm wondering if there's an issue with the yamaha's sub port or maybe a compatibility issue in general. Luckily I'm within the last 2 days of the return policy of best buy. Just wondering should I get the same model or different brand receiver.

I would really really appreciate your opinions! Only have today and tomorrow to do this....
post #38 of 50 Old 02-05-2015, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2064 Post(s)
Liked: 1090
MrGrimm - how large is your room? Have you done a sub crawl to determine the best location for your sub? Is the bass stronger in other areas of the room away from the listening position?

Pics or a diagram of your room will be helpful.
post #39 of 50 Old 02-05-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
MrGrimm - how large is your room? Have you done a sub crawl to determine the best location for your sub? Is the bass stronger in other areas of the room away from the listening position?

Pics or a diagram of your room will be helpful.

It's a small bedroom 12 x 12. I'm limited to where i can put it because of all the furniture in the room. I don't believe it's in a bad spot though. My listening position is on my bed against the headboard which is against the back wall. My tv is on a stand directly in front of the bed right in front of the front wall. The sub is right beside the tv at least a foot away from the wall.
post #40 of 50 Old 02-05-2015, 11:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't believe it's in a bad spot though.
And what do you base this statement on?

You didn't answer my question:

Quote:
Is the bass stronger in other areas of the room away from the listening position?
post #41 of 50 Old 02-05-2015, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrim999 View Post
I'm glad I found this thread! Same problem over here!! I'm using the Yamaha V377 and the SVS PB-1000. I purchased the yamaha 12-23-14 and the SVS just a few weeks ago both brand new. Also using the Klipsch Quintet 5.0 satellite speaker system, also purchased last month. The way everyone was raving about the SVS sub I was definitely expecting more oomph. I spent time with SVS tech support, which is excellent by the way, and connected a cd player directly to the sub and concluded the sub was working fine. After reading this thread, I'm wondering if there's an issue with the yamaha's sub port or maybe a compatibility issue in general. Luckily I'm within the last 2 days of the return policy of best buy. Just wondering should I get the same model or different brand receiver.

I would really really appreciate your opinions! Only have today and tomorrow to do this....
If it's the issue I had, you need to rest it to factory defaults and then re calibrate it with the mic. assuming your direct to bule-ray sounded good.
post #42 of 50 Old 02-06-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
And what do you base this statement on?

You didn't answer my question:
I haven't tested from different listening points, no. There's always the possibility I'm being paranoid. I am hearing bass but not sure how much is coming from the Klipsch speakers and if I'm getting the sound i should be getting from the SVS sub. I've already done the factory reset with the Yamaha and ran the YPAO. If the sub port on the yamaha was faulty, is that something that can happen where its working but not as it should? Or would it just not work at all period?
post #43 of 50 Old 02-06-2015, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

If the sub out on the Yamaha was defective, you wouldn't get reduced bass. Those jacks usually either work or don't work.

If you can't tell if the bass is coming from the speakers or the sub, try turning off the sub and listening. I can guarantee you you're not getting anything that could be called bass with those speakers (only rated down to 110hz). Which brings up the question - where do you have your crossovers set (in the AVR and on the sub itself)?

You need to walk around the room with some bass heavy music on and see if the bass is a lot stronger in other areas of the room. If it is, that means your listening position is in a null and the only cure is to move the sub to a different location.
post #44 of 50 Old 02-06-2015, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I have had several Yammy receivers and they all had reduced sub out. I even dumped my MiniDSP because of this. Try a line level shifter like the Reckhorn B1. There are a few others. My QSC DSP 30 allows me to adjust the input voltage so no longer need the bump box. Good luck to all with a Yammy.
post #45 of 50 Old 02-06-2015, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

^^^

Good point Wrager...I didn't think that there could be low voltage on the sub out. But then, wouldn't these guys be maxing out the sub gain and still falling short? Heck, maybe they are and I just missed it.
post #46 of 50 Old 02-06-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
If the sub out on the Yamaha was defective, you wouldn't get reduced bass. Those jacks usually either work or don't work.

If you can't tell if the bass is coming from the speakers or the sub, try turning off the sub and listening. I can guarantee you you're not getting anything that could be called bass with those speakers (only rated down to 110hz). Which brings up the question - where do you have your crossovers set (in the AVR and on the sub itself)?

You need to walk around the room with some bass heavy music on and see if the bass is a lot stronger in other areas of the room. If it is, that means your listening position is in a null and the only cure is to move the sub to a different location.

Haha, yea I'm sure its not coming from the satellites. The crossover settings are ok. There's a LFE setting on the sub which it is set to. The setting on the avr is set to 120hz. I was on the phone today with SVS tech support and suggested something interesting....using a Y adapter to double the output from the avr....
post #47 of 50 Old 02-06-2015, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The crossover settings are ok. There's a LFE setting on the sub which it is set to.
Not sure what this means, but FYI the crossover on the sub itself should be set as high as it will go (or disabled, if that's an option).

Quote:
using a Y adapter to double the output from the avr
A y-splitter into both sub inputs will raise the gain by 6db...worth a shot.
post #48 of 50 Old 02-06-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Not sure what this means, but FYI the crossover on the sub itself should be set as high as it will go (or disabled, if that's an option).

A y-splitter into both sub inputs will raise the gain by 6db...worth a shot.
LFE is a setting on the SVS subwoofer crossover dial which means it will get the information from the receiver, which is set to 120hz.

I used the YPAO calibration tool and i think the avr level setting is at -2.5. Should I lower that further?
post #49 of 50 Old 02-06-2015, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrager View Post
I have had several Yammy receivers and they all had reduced sub out. I even dumped my MiniDSP because of this. Try a line level shifter like the Reckhorn B1. There are a few others. My QSC DSP 30 allows me to adjust the input voltage so no longer need the bump box. Good luck to all with a Yammy.

Really?? Is this still an issue with today's Yamaha receivers? How can you tell?
post #50 of 50 Old 02-06-2015, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGrim999 View Post
I used the YPAO calibration tool and i think the avr level setting is at -2.5. Should I lower that further?
Only if you feel the bass is too much at that level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page