AVS Forum banner

Yamaha receiver subwoofer volume very low

131K views 77 replies 30 participants last post by  wdeyzel 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

Got a different receiver, an old Yamaha RX-V467, and everything works, but the subwoofer volume is incredibly low. I've got an Infinity PS-8, and it's hooked up to the LFE input from the receiver sub out. I've tried two different cables, made sure speakers were set to small, crossover at 80 (and max on the subwoofer), and tried adjusting the level on the receiver to max, and turning the level on the sub up to max. Also reset the receiver to default. No matter what I do, the volume coming out of the sub is almost inaudible. When I play the test tones, I can hear all the channels clearly, but really have to press my head against the sub to hear it rumble. In fact, the light on the back of the sub says it's not even receiving a signal most of the time.

I had an RCA to headphone jack adapter that I plugged directly into my computer to the red/white RCA inputs on the sub, and the sub worked nice and loud at a little less than mid volume. So I don't think it's the sub.

Thanks for your help, I really want to get this working.

#2 ·
go into your speaker setup and adjust the LFE level, it sounds like it is set to -10db or something. The manual for your receiver will show you how to adjust the LFE level. LFE level is a seperate setting from SUB level...

#4 ·
I have an RX-467 but only use it for stereo mode with 2 big front speakers. I had a Pioneer VSX-820 and a Sony 8" sub. It sounded good. Last year I decided to upgrade to a Polk Audio 10" sub. Spent $300 on it and could not hear a thing just like you describe. I tried everything. Nobody had any idea why either. I ended up taking it back after messing with it for 3 days, and had my Sony hooked up. I was thinking that some subs just need a "higher or stronger" signal to run right. Did you set up everything with the Yamaha YPAO setup and microphone ? Then you can fine tune it if needed. If that don't help, Im lost cause I went through that with my Pioneer receiver also.

#5 ·
If you go into manual speaker setup, then go to level. At what level is the sub set at by the AVR. If it is at -10 db then raise it to 0 or higher.

Old Mike

#6 ·
Thanks for the advice, interesting to see you had the same problem. I haven't used YPAO. The Yamaha uses bars to indicate the levels, and it's right in the middle for subwoofer level. I think that's the default. I tried moving the bar all the way to the right but it didn't help.

#7 ·
if you have adjusted the receiver and the sub output does not change, it is a problem with the sub most likely. Do you have another sub to test the receiver functionality with? what does the receiver put out on the sub outputs? what does the sub accept for the input range?

#8 ·
I don't have another sub unfortunately, but I do have another receiver that I can dig out of the closet, but it may be broken. I'll try that when I get home. It did work with the red/white RCA cables from my computer, but I guess that doesn't really pinpoint where the problem is.

#9 ·
If your sub has speaker level inputs you can set your main speakers to LARGE and LFE from SUB to MAIN

Next, run wire from receiver MAIN L R Speaker terminals to sub speaker L R in termals and then another set from sub speaker L R out terminals to L and R main speakers. You will need to use the variable high cut to blend your sub in with your mains.

Receiver may not be putting out enough on the SUB out terminal to power the AMP for your sub. This is why you need to see what the output is for your sub out and then see what the line input requirements are for your sub

On my htr-5635 it is 150mv max variable line out and it matches well with the input required by my YST-SW215 subs

#10 ·
That's a good idea, I was thinking of trying something like that, but I'm very cautious about wiring these things else I damage the equipment. So I looked at the Infinity PS-8 manual and it does have speaker level inputs for L/R, but it doesn't have outputs. In addition, the manual says how to hook up the sub this way that you described, but slightly differently because there's no speaker out on the sub. It says to have two sets of wire come out of the receiver main L/R and go into both the sub AND the regular left and right speakers. I want to make sure that this is a proper way of hooking up the left/right and sub before I do it, because I don't want to damage the receiver/sub.

Thanks for all your help, I bet that this method is the one that'll work!

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05 /forum/post/21483495

That's a good idea, I was thinking of trying something like that, but I'm very cautious about wiring these things else I damage the equipment. So I looked at the Infinity PS-8 manual and it does have speaker level inputs for L/R, but it doesn't have outputs. In addition, the manual says how to hook up the sub this way that you described, but slightly differently because there's no speaker out on the sub. It says to have two sets of wire come out of the receiver main L/R and go into both the sub AND the regular left and right speakers. I want to make sure that this is a proper way of hooking up the left/right and sub before I do it, because I don't want to damage the receiver/sub.

Thanks for all your help, I bet that this method is the one that'll work!

If the sub is connected to the eft and right outputs, it is NOT connected to the subwoofer output, so it is not receiving any sound routed to the subwoofer in the receiver. ANd of course, the sub level controls affect the sub channel, not the left and right, so no great surprise, really, that changing the sub level did nothing.

Seems to me you want to use RCA cable from sub out to LFE in, and NOT speaker level signals to the sub.

#14 ·
Yes, that's the way it's connected now, from receiver sub out to lfe in on the sub. With that connection, the sub is barely audible at any level. I was just trying the RCA red/white from my computer, bypassing the receiver, to see if the sub worked at all, and it did. Since the lfe sub receiver connection isn't working, we were seeing whether speaker level inputs would work, which the manual seems to suggest will, but with a peculiar (maybe not) wiring method.

#15 ·
not sure what to think of that as they are obviously not filtering out the LFE to send to the sub and the rest to the mains....

typically the input goes into the sub which has an internal crossover to route LFE to sub amp and then route the rest to the mains. The variable high cut would then be used to blend the sub into the mains...

typical sub back panel where you can see speaker level input and output

inside the sub it goes like this

speaker in goes to variable crossover with everything above the high cut sent to mains and everything below sent to sub amp.

it will work fine for your diagram but I am not sure how the high cut would work???

#16 ·
Yes that's what I was thinking a little. I guess my main question is if it's safe to wire the sub and left/right speakers according to the diagram I posted above. I can then see how the sub sounds wired like that and if it's ok or not

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05 /forum/post/21483841

Yes that's what I was thinking a little. I guess my main question is if it's safe to wire the sub and left/right speakers according to the diagram I posted above. I can then see how the sub sounds wired like that and if it's ok or not

It should be fine. The sub will present a VERY high impedance (likely over 1000 ohms) to the left and right speaker inputs to convert them into line level. The sub will use effectively zero power from teh receiver, and the mains will get essentially all the power. The sub will use its own amp to raise the volume. Turn off bass management (no crossovers for main speakers) and if it's crossover point is adjustable and you want to try to tune it, you want the sub to roll in below the point where the mains roll off.

BTW, you may or may not get the LFE channel, (the .1 on a 5.1 DVD) with this approach, depending on whether the Yamaha attempts to mix it into the front speakers.

#20 ·
Ok, well I tried connecting it to speaker level inputs and it didn't work. I'm going to double check the connections now. I did, however, plug the sub into a different receiver through its LFE input/output, and with the other receiver, the sub worked properly. So it must be the Yamaha. Thanks for all your help!

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc05 /forum/post/21484179

Ok that sounds great. I'll give it a try and report back. One last settings check, on the receiver, turn subwoofer Off, set front l/r speaker size to Large, and bass management Off

Thanks a lot for your help!

if you want to use the line level inputs you would have to set mains (well all speakers actually) to SMALL, turn subwoofer ON and bass management ON

Typically when you turn bass management on you should get access to a new menu that offers stuff like

LFE: mains, mains+sub, or sub only

LFE Level: typically -10 to 0 dB

and in the speaker level menu you can set the sub anywhere from -10 to 0 dB (different receiver models may have different ranges)

Once you have that setup, reply back

Edit: found your manual and it on page 49 it shows how to manually setup your speakers. This is the sequence I would use, personally, but you can do it how you want.

1. Go to setup menu -> speaker setup -> config->Subwoofer. This should be set to ON and all other speakers set to SMALL

2. Setup menu->Speaker Setup->Level->Subwoofer and set to the highest it lets you (for now)

3. Setup menu -> Speaker setup -> Config-> Crossover and set your crossover to what is recommended for your speakers (the default is 80Hz on the receiver)

After you have confirmed your settings do a test by

4. Setup menu -> Speaker setup -> Test Tone (on or off)

Adjust Sub as needed by following step # 2 above (I am not sure receiver will generate test tone when you navigate away from that menu, if it does when you are done adjusting just return to test tone menu item and select off).

Most importantly make sure that if your sub is using auto sense on and off to disable it or lower the sensitivity needed to activate the sub. Your manual seems to indicate that that the receiver may have troubles with it. From page 70 left side botton No sound from subwoofer Turn the subwoofer power on. If the subwoofer includes an Auto Power Off function, then lower the Auto Power Off sensitivity settings.

My Yamaha YST-SW215 has an "auto on" feature and I just plain disabled it as it didn't work well for me. This control will typically be found on the back of the sub.

#22 ·
Thanks for replying. It turns out that on this Yamaha, the only "bass management" is something like sub only or mains + sub. They call it "Extra Bass" and it doesn't open a new LFE menu to adjust the levels.

Sorry to be confusing, but here's the two ways I'm trying this

1) Connect sub to receiver via LFE input/output. On the receiver, crossover set to 80 Hz, Subwoofer On, All other speakers set to Small. If I turn the sub to max volume, I can get a noticeable thud, but it's only barely noticeable over the rest of the speakers. When I connected via LFE to a different receiver, the sub was loud with the sub volume knob only at halfway.

2) Speaker level inputs

Connecting sub speaker level input R/L to the same R/L as my mains. On the receiver, subwoofer set to Off, Front L/F are forced to Large, crossover still at 80Hz on both the receiver and the sub. I can only hear the sub if I press my ear against the sub, with its volume knob turned all the way up. Turning the crossover knob all the way up seems to help.

If you need more information, just let me know. I think it's safe to assume that the receiver is the problem here, not the sub, right? If I've exhausted all my options in getting this thing to work, then that's fine, I can live without a sub until I get a new receiver. I really appreciate all your help, I wouldn't know where to start!

#23 ·
Set all ur speakers to LARGE not just the front ones if you use the speaker level inputs on your suib. and also turn the sub OFF in the config menu

I'm sorry I do not have your particular model of receiver so I am unfamillar with it......and quite obviously fumbling through the manual

#24 ·
No problem, I appreciate your help! I tried that and no change. In fact, the sub doesn't even come back on from auto off when I start playing something. Connecting through the LFE in/out worked better, but it's just not loud at all even with receiver sub level turned up and sub volume knob turned up.

#26 ·
Hi Gang,

Boy, was I happy to find you guys. I had the same problem, called Yamaha US (714) 522-9105 and they walked me through a global reset of the receiver. This undoes the YPAO settings, which were screwing up my sub level. (And I guess that's why my LFE/SUB level adjustment was grayed out.)

****************************************************************************************************************

Resetting: http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/audio-visual/av-receivers-amps/rx/rx-v671_black_u/5795/7138/

or

Resetting/Initializing the receiver to factory settings

Warning: This will erase all settings and return the unit to its original factory settings.

Note: This procedure is done on the front panel of the receiver only.

1. Set the unit to Standby by pressing the Power button.

2. While holding down the Straight button, press the Power button.

3. SP IMP. 8 Ohm Min (Or 6 ohm) will come up on the Front Panel.

4. Press the Right Program Arrow button repeatedly until INIT-CANCEL comes up.

5. Press the Straight Button repeatedly until INIT-ALL comes up.

6. Press the Standby button to turn off the receiver.

7. The next time the receiver is powered on, the factory settings will take effect.

****************************************************************************************************************

No biggie, as I'm running a 2.1 system here.

Anyway, as soon as the YPAO was undone, all was well. Instead of an LFE level adjustment, it gives you the option of trimming that channel up in db. So I did that first, made sure it worked, but ended up leaving it at 0db, and leaving my sub, an Infinity 8", at about 60%.

Also, if you set your front speakers to "large" (recommended for 6" or bigger drivers) you ALSO have the option of turning on "extra bass" in the setup>speaker>configuration menu.

Hope that helps!

-Pauly

Sunny Colorado

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.