Sony Receiver going in to Protect Mode - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-12-2012, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All.....wow it's been so long that i can't even remember what username i used here!

Having a problem with my STR-DA3ES receiver and I've surely done a ton of googling and searching around this site to learn what i can.

I suppose this first started about 2 months or so ago when I would notice the occasional "snap" from my speakers when watching a movie or whatever. I've never liked it but life is so busy i just ignored it.
About 2 or so weeks ago the snaps upgraded to POPs and they became more frequent.
Then last week I got my first taste of Protector mode in which it shuts down....and this happens right after i get a real nasty pop.

I did all the reading and have found that a very common issue with this is with my speakers and it's wiring. I guessed that the pops were coming from my surround speakers so two nights ago I disconnected them and went on to watch a movie with "wait and see" in my head. Nothing! Great no pops, no protector mode. Whelp.....last night i got pops and protector again.

So I know tonight I'm going to disconnect all of my speakers and see if the receiver goes into protect this way.....if so I guess it's off to the repair shop.

Questions though.....and please excuse my ignorance
When these replies to the issue say to not allow speaker wires to cross......this simply mean BARE wire correct??? I mean I my speaker wires are touching each other and all of my other cables like crazy....but I've never had an issue in the 13 years i've owned this system.

Would cutting fresh new splices on my speaker wire possibly help?

Also what is the deal with "speaker wire fragments" in my binding posts....i haven't checked for this yet but i'm not sure why this would really cause an issue?

**Anything anyone can recommend to me to try???? If a speaker or my receiver needs repair then so be it....but ideally I would like to isolate and identify the real problem.....if not find some way to fix it myself!

thanks much all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-12-2012, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 122
A short can either be @ the AVR rear panel spkr connection or @ the back of the spkr. Any little loose wire strand can short out and trigger the AVR's protection circuitry..

Disconnect all spkr wires, now power up the AVR.
1. If no AVR protection indication this is good news. Next check each wire carefully to find the short, hopefully you have no splices in each spkr wire.
2. If the AVR protection indication is ON, not good the AVR needs to go to the repair center.

In most instances if the AVR is > 3 years old, one is better to purchase a new one as the repair center charges can be quite high just to give an estimate...

Just my $0.02...
post #3 of 14 Old 01-13-2012, 06:38 AM - Thread Starter

hey thanks much!
still not sure what exactly i'm to look for though.
i understand to look for any tears in the jacket along the wiring.....and to make sure at the binding posts that no wires are "bridging" to another post.

not sure what is meant by "loose wire strand" though?
my ends are bare....no tinning or banana plugs anything like that...just stripped about 1/2 inch and twisted to try and make the tip stay together.

got home late last night so no chance to play around. tonight i'll be disconnecting all speakers and see what happens. assuming (and hoping) that it will not go into protect my plan was to inspect the rest of the speaker wires (i've only looked at the surrounds so far as i originally thought they were the problem), and then do a fresh splice (stripping the jacket) for fresh new connections and see what happens from there.

as for repair.....this receiver cost me a cool $1,000....albeit 13 years ago.
If I have to replace I would surely want something comparable (though that obviously doesn't have to mean same PRICE).

wouldn't a repair in the range $100-300 be worth it compared to getting a new good midrange receiver???

thanks again!
post #4 of 14 Old 01-15-2012, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

anyone??
post #5 of 14 Old 01-15-2012, 01:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 381
I dont think you need to worry about repair yet.

Disconnect all the speaker wires from the receiver like was mentioned above by M Code, check to see if it still goes into protect mode. If not check all your wires.

This is one reason I use banana plugs, you don't have to worry about loose strands of wires causing shorts.

Afro GT
post #6 of 14 Old 01-15-2012, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

I dont think you need to worry about repair yet.

Disconnect all the speaker wires from the receiver like was mentioned above by M Code, check to see if it still goes into protect mode. If not check all your wires.

This is one reason I use banana plugs, you don't have to worry about loose strands of wires causing shorts.

If you properly tin your braided wire ends, you do not have to worry about stray wire strands shorting out your system.

Tinning a wire involves

1. stripping 1/2" off the end,
2. twisting the strands together
3. heating it up with a soldering iron
4. adding solder to it to fuse the ends together
5. trim wire to 1/4" to 5/16"

insert said wire into multi-binding post and twist tighten cap resulting in a nice secure connection that will not come loose.

Strong or weak in the end we are all dead
post #7 of 14 Old 01-17-2012, 09:23 AM - Thread Starter

whelp not sure what to think at this point

originally had just the surrounds disconnected as i thought the pops were coming from those speakers......everything was fine for a bit but then eventually the receiver went into protect mode again.

so then i disconnected my outdoor speakers as well as the center channel.

today i'm left with my stereo fronts still hooked up as well as my sub (connected via coax so no worries there).

have used the receiver for 2 days now and no protect mode though i just don't feel 100% like i'm in the clear just yet. going to wait this out for a few more days trying to use it every day. if i'm still good after a few days....then i'm going to address the surrounds/outdoors/center and see where it takes me.

man i would tin the connects if i could but i don't own a soldering iron nor have i used one in my life!
perhaps i should look into these banana plugs then....
post #8 of 14 Old 01-19-2012, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

ok it seems things are getting clearer

have used the receiver for like 2-3 days now with little issue (only front speakers are connected)....however the wife reported that it went into protect mode yesterday while i was at work.

she seems to think this only happens when using the ps3 to run netflix but I kind of think it has happened other times as well.

*** is it possible at all that the optical audio connection from the ps3 to the receiver could be the problem??? from all that i've read it seems technically impossible.

and so if that's the case.....then i guess this is just a problem with the receiver itself

i would think the next logical step is to turn the receiver on with no speakers connected at all.....however that doesn't seem like it will give me a true answer because i AM able to use this receiver for extended periods of time with no issue at all. what i mean is....the timing of when it goes into protect mode seems totally random. so if i turned my receiver on (nothing connected) I wouldn't exactly believe nothing is wrong if it doesn't go into protect mode. and imo it seems kind of silly to just turn my receiver on and leave it running for hours waiting to see if it goes into protect??

thoughts anyone? please?
post #9 of 14 Old 01-19-2012, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

one more thought.....say my front speakers (the only ones connected at this point) are truly the problem......would it make sense that a short in this wiring or the speakers themselves would only occasionally trigger the protect mode?

or does it make more sense to say "the connection has a short circuit and it should be entering protect mode immediately"???
post #10 of 14 Old 01-24-2012, 07:55 AM - Thread Starter

anyone???

your thoughts are greatly appreciated!
post #11 of 14 Old 01-24-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I dunno if any input would cause it to go into protect mode unless there was a short......

Strong or weak in the end we are all dead
post #12 of 14 Old 01-24-2012, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 250
It is quite possible that the optical or coaxial digital circuitry could produce a loud enough "POP" in the audio when its circuitry suddenly produces a gross data error or momentary short to cause the protection circuitry to activate due to a current surge.

When this happens, it would also be more likely to cause a protection fault to occur with 5 or more channels driven since this would cause a larger power supply current surge than if just 2 or 3 channels are in use.

Another possibility is that one speaker is actually shorting out momentarily due to shorted turns in a voice coil that intermittently arcs internally; I have seen this happen. That would certainly cause a fault and a resulting pop in the speakers. It is tedious to isolate, because all you can do is disconnect one speaker at a time until the problem stops happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YeuEmMaiMai View Post

I dunno if any input would cause it to go into protect mode unless there was a short......

post #13 of 14 Old 01-25-2012, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

thanks all

i just don't know what to do next at this point since the frequency of this protect mode has been so random

seems like my final step is to just run the receiver with nothing hooked up to it but really how long do i run this test?
what if it runs 5 hours without going into protect? to me i still wouldn't feel a comfort level that nothing is wrong with the receiver itself

just at a total loss in figuring out my next move here

should i invest in a multimeter?
are these things easy enough to use to test for a short in my speakers/wiring?
post #14 of 14 Old 12-31-2012, 08:32 AM

Seedyb, Can you tell me the final outcome? I have the same issue with my DA3ES, it is driving me crazy for sure! Did the disconnect of all speakers, still "protect mode", then disconnected optical inputs and everything worked. Re-connected it all back up, boom! You know. But now it is working, but occaissional popping, we know what coming soon!!! Please advise, I just don't have the money to toss this one and buy a new one. And part of buying an expensive receiver like this, is for it to last forever, right?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page