Pioneer VSX-921-K problem - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 01-14-2012, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a Pioneer VSX-921-K receiver on Dec 26, 2011. It just started to not output video from any device source other than the Cogeco HD PVR (a Pace). Last week it was working perfectly on all sources so I am not sure what happened since nothing has been changed. I have tried to reset the receiver using the procedure in the manual and it did not work (it did reset, but the problem remains.

Audio does come from all the sources (A Pioneer DVD, an Apple iTV, PC input via HDMI, iPAD though Apple HDMI adapter), but no video from any of these is displayed. The red HDMI connected light does light on the receiver when connected to these sources and the audio is getting through. Just not video.

Even when I can see video from the HD Box, if I enter the Pioneer’s setup menu while using the HD Box, the setup menu’s do NOT appear on the TV. I can see them on the AV receiver screen text, but they do not appear on the TV. It looks like nothing is getting through the AV receiver’s output except the pass thru of the cable box video signal.

Interestingly if I set the receiver to DVD, and then turn on the DVD player, the DVD's "Pioneer" logo displays briefly, then the screen goes blank and there is no video. Its like it gets thru for a brief moment, then is gone.

HELP!

I am a Pioneer fan (the TV is a 5 yr old 50” Pioneer plasma ), but this is frustrating!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-14-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Hi there,

that sucks. I had a 921 not that long ago and it has been flawless for me. Sounds to me that your problem would be somewhere between the receiver "out" to the tv "in".

It may sound silly but maybe you fell asleep with the tv's remote and change some settings? Since you did a full factory reset, I assume you tried with the pio's HDMI functions "off"? Is there only 1 HDMI "in" behind your tv? If not have you tried another HDMI input and selecting it as a source?

good luck
post #3 of 18 Old 01-15-2012, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jproy13 View Post

Hi there,

that sucks. I had a 921 not that long ago and it has been flawless for me. Sounds to me that your problem would be somewhere between the receiver "out" to the tv "in".

It may sound silly but maybe you fell asleep with the tv's remote and change some settings? Since you did a full factory reset, I assume you tried with the pio's HDMI functions "off"? Is there only 1 HDMI "in" behind your tv? If not have you tried another HDMI input and selecting it as a source?

good luck

I don't think it is between the Receiver and the TV since the HDCable box runs through the Receiver too (using the DVR HDMI in port) and that works perfectly with both audio and video going to the TV (except the Pioneer AV receiver's own setup menus don't display on the TV like they used to). All the other HDMI in ports on the receiver do not seem to pass the video thru to the TV (using the same HDMI out on the receiver).

I will try the other HDMI in port on the TV, but I cannot see that being the problem since HDMI input 1 on the TV works with the receiver for the DVR Cable box.
post #4 of 18 Old 01-15-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Hi Creekwood, what happens if you swap one of the source with HD Box input?
post #5 of 18 Old 01-17-2012, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

I think there is a problem with these Pioneer VSX 921 AV receivers. Many others seem to have problems and most seem to have been bought in the last month. Here is what I have tested:

1. The AV receiver seems to HDMI handshake to all the sources (Pio DVD, Apple TV, iPAD HDMI Cable, PC HDMI and Pace Cable box. However ONLY the Pace's video gets passed through to my Pioneer Plasma. All the other ones do get audio out via the receiver, but nothing to the TV. Even though the Pace video gets good video, the AV receivers' setup menus do not display on the TV. The screen goes blank, but no menus.

2. I tried putting the output on the AV Receiver to Toshiba LCD 720p, and it worked from all sources (weird). Even the AV receiver's set up menu's display properly. Makes it sound like it might be my previously flawless Pioneer plasma that has now very coincidentally fried itself??? That would be too much coincidence. So then I tested that.

3. Tried direct connecting the various HDMI sources to the Pioneer plasma HDMI input 3 (not through the AV receiver) and they all work properly. So looks like the TV is OK.

4. I have spend endless time switching out HDMI cables with no change. The cables work on other devices. All are high speed rated cables.

So my conclusion is that the receiver itself is not working properly with the TV (keep in mind that it worked together perfectly for about 1 week, then mysteriously the other sources stopped working (nothing else was changed). It can no longer connect properly to put video out to the Pioneer plasma (but for whatever reason, the little Toshiba LCD is able to hold an HDMI link to it).

Looks like its going back to Best Buy (if I can just find my receipt). If I am correct in thinking that there is a bad batch that came from Pioneer then Best Buy will probably be getting a lot of them back.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-24-2012, 10:14 AM

At least you were honored with a reply to your posting. I can't even find mine posted several weeks ago where I asked for help. My VSX-921-K which I received Christmas day sat for four weeks, never communicating with the TV, never uttering a sound or a grunt. All inputs on TV set correctly, proper HDMI cable attached. My soulution found me...lightning struck Saturday night, surged throught the HDMI cables and the power cables, frying the VSX-921-K and the new 3D TV. Even then, the Pioneer never made a sound.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-24-2012, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry to hear that. I hope your insurance covers it (or the credit card insurance). I have ordered an HDMI switcher to try that before it goes back. My researching found a couple of other people suggesting an HDCP handshake issue so its worth a try. My concern is that the problem is equally the fault of my Pio plasma TV since running the HDMI cable to a Toshiba LCD works. Go figure.

The funny thing is that the Pio AVR and TV played nice together for a couple of weeks before they stopped. If this does not resolve it, its the LAST Pioneer equipment I buy.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-31-2012, 12:22 PM

I really like my Pioneer as I had to replace my Onkyo receiver but the volume just seems way too low. I turn it up to 60 when I had the Onkyo had to be about 40.
post #9 of 18 Old 03-01-2012, 02:58 PM

I too had a Vsx-921 for Christmas. It ran my Sharp vx-z300 projector through HDMI cable for about 20 hours no problems. Switched it on last week and HDCP ERROR flashed on the Amp even with the projector was turned off. I tried to turn on projector but it would not turn on. I disconected Hdmi cable and error message on amp stoped. My projector had only seen about 30 hours of use from new. I bought another lamp for it but that was not the problem! so it looks like its scrap.
I bought a replacement xv-z3000 projector just pluged it in and the VSX-921 will not send any HDMI signal to the new projector sound goes off too from the amp when the main HDMI cable is pluged in. DVD connected direct to the projector through the same cable works fine.
What do you think is wrong with the Pioneer?
Do you think the Pioneer screwed my first Projector ? too much of a coincidence for me
regards Lance
post #10 of 18 Old 03-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I installed a vsx-1121 for a buddy of mine. Almost identical problem after 3 weeks of flawless operation. I tried the reset feature outlined in the manual-no help. Before packing it up to newegg, I told him let's leave it unplugged over night. Voila, the next morning all was back to normal.

It's going on three weeks now and the unit has been working fine without issue. Worth a try. Make sure to unplug it completely, not just turned off.
post #11 of 18 Old 03-02-2012, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

i returned it and upgraded to a 1021 since Best Buy would only exchange not refund. it was defective i think
post #12 of 18 Old 03-03-2012, 12:28 AM

Spoke to Pioneer yesterday, (very helpfull) they said they have never heard of this kind of problem before! Come-on-boyz tell the truth!!
I tried reset and then another TV through HDMI today and that doesn't work either so presume VSX 921 to be faulty.
I thought Pioneer was good stuff ? how wrong.
post #13 of 18 Old 04-02-2012, 04:48 PM

I bought mine about a month ago and once in a while the volume control doesn't work. The volume stays at a higher level and I can't bring it down although the volume meter shows it going down, it stays loud. That, or the volumes shoots up to the max and I have to shut the unit off. Then it all seems to work well again. Has this happened to anyone else? Thanks
post #14 of 18 Old 04-09-2012, 11:14 AM

I was relieved to find it's not just me! I have a VSX-921 attached to a Panasonic TX-P50VT30B television. HDMI goes to HDMI-ARC on TV - can I get pic/audio? No! Pioneer BD player communicates fine but TV won't accept video and Viera keeps switching to tv speakers. HELP!!!
post #15 of 18 Old 05-22-2012, 05:37 PM

I have the exact same problem. Usually power off then on fixes the problem but sometimes i have to unplug the receiver overnight to get video to come back. sometimes the thing powers off on its own too. Not sure if it is supposed to but it also likes to revert to stereo all the time and i constantly have to manually put it on pcm for the ps3 or dd/ prologic for watching att uverse hd channels. had this problem since about a week after i got it. not happy with the performance of this thing. I guess for $220.00 i cant expect anything more out of it.
post #16 of 18 Old 05-25-2012, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter

On a related note, my replacement 1021 unit was working great, then after 2 weeks it also started to switch to "Stereo" instead of picking up the Digital surround from the cable feed. (it worked perfectly before). I then downloaded the latest firmware upgrade from Pioneer and installed it. That fixed the problem. However, I don't think firmware updates can be done on a 921.
post #17 of 18 Old 07-24-2012, 06:31 PM

I have the vsx-921 and I love it however I am not a techie at all and I am so utterly confused by this machine I am about to pull my hair out, lol.
I have had several issues (user error mostly) and I know it is just an issue with settings but this one I can not figure out to save my life...I have no sound from my dvd, dvr or tv through the receiver. Last week it was the rear speakers (speakers B) were not recognized and I had no sound from them, then out of the blue I woke up in the morning and the rear speakers were working,cool.gifrolleyes.gif bad news is that now I have no sound from my other inputs :eek:tv, dvd, dvr and I have gone through all the connections and can not find any reason for this. Can someone please help...thank you for any information you are able to provide it is greatly appreciated.
post #18 of 18 Old 09-13-2012, 11:23 AM

how do u turn the demo off please?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Pioneer Vsx921k 7 1 Channel 3d Ready Av Receiver Black
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page