HDMI w/Internet Switching Receiver Question - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-15-2012, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I want to get a receiver that supports 1.4a with internet. But none of the receivers seem to list it. They all just say 1.4a with 3D and audio return channel. 1.4a specs are supposed to include internet but when the manufactures list their HDMI they aren't supposed to list the 1.4a classification they are supposed to list the cables abilities, such as ARC, 3D, internet etc. But none of the receivers list internet.

When I delve into the capabilities of the receiver non mention being able to route internet and combine it with the HDMI signal. Is it the job of the receiver to combine the audio and video in the HDMI with the internet and act as a router? Which piece of equipment does the combination and is responsible for routing?

Dual CPU user
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-16-2012, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Should I just get a cheap $200 receiver at this point until this spec matures?

Dual CPU user
post #3 of 4 Old 01-16-2012, 02:22 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
Although ethernet over HDMI is a part of the HDMI 1.4a spec, AFAIK, there are currently no AVRs on the market today that utilize that feature. Simply look for AVRs that feature "network" capability which are usually the mid level and higher models (> $500).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4 of 4 Old 01-16-2012, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimHuey View Post

I want to get a receiver that supports 1.4a with internet. But none of the receivers seem to list it. They all just say 1.4a with 3D and audio return channel. 1.4a specs are supposed to include internet but when the manufactures list their HDMI they aren't supposed to list the 1.4a classification they are supposed to list the cables abilities, such as ARC, 3D, internet etc. But none of the receivers list internet.

When I delve into the capabilities of the receiver non mention being able to route internet and combine it with the HDMI signal. Is it the job of the receiver to combine the audio and video in the HDMI with the internet and act as a router? Which piece of equipment does the combination and is responsible for routing?

To clarify, when you say "with internet" you mean, as to have the HDMI cable provide the internet connection correct? Well, I was wondering the same thing and I came across an article saying that even though the new cables "support" ethernet, there's currently no products with that type of capability just yet.

See, I thought that with these ethernet capable HDMI cables I was going to piggyback my receiver & my TV off the BD player with the wireless connectivity... but yeah, no go on that station, lol... at least not yet.

Maybe they will update our hardware's firmware in the future to be able to do this. That would be awesome. So maybe you could call around and ask manufacturers if they plan on doing this on any of their receivers & then make your purchase.

As far as wether to save your money or buy a cheap one in the meantime... that's one question only you can answer as you know your financial status better than anyone else... I did it & it worked out for me. But my situation was different, I had a an old (but great) receiver without HDMI inputs but it was very stout for music, so I kept it, bought a "cheap" receiver with HDMI inputs until I was ready to buy another good quality receiver...

Good luck...
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page